test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

where is the companion gear coming from?

eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
I can find it on the auction house but where does it come from? My highest level character is level 59 and I have never found any companion gear.
I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    Drop from various places including in SH. You probably need to be level 70 and above.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    most of the auction house "poor quality" companion gear comes from skirmishes. The higher tier of auction house companion gear is the low tier gear that comes from Undermountain Expeditions. The best companion gear comes from Undermountain, bound... and cant be sold on auction house.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    The BiS companion gear comes from ME's and WE's:
    * Zok boxes(from MEs) and ME quest drops purple companion gear with two offensive or two defensive slots
    * WE's drop purple companion gear with one offensive and one defensive slot

You will also get one set of fairly good purple companion gear while doing Undermountain.

You level quickly in NW, so my suggestion would be to just pick up cheap companion gear off AH for the levelling process, and then use the gear from Undermountain quest chain until you can get ME/WE gear.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    Merchant's Folly Skirmish
  • kranky#1106 kranky Member Posts: 42 Arc User

unfortunately merchant prince may have issues..... done 10 in last 2 days not one item beyond the basic 3 rewards (campaign currency items you get every run) no comp gear / pants / shirt / or even guild hall item and most importantly no dang scale to upgrade my chain of scales!!!!!! so may be a bug in loot generation hopefully will be addressed soon.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

unfortunately merchant prince may have issues..... done 10 in last 2 days not one item beyond the basic 3 rewards (campaign currency items you get every run) no comp gear / pants / shirt / or even guild hall item and most importantly no dang scale to upgrade my chain of scales!!!!!! so may be a bug in loot generation hopefully will be addressed soon.
    I have not run it this weekend, but I ran it several times last week and got Comp gear 2 out of 3.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    In Merchant's Folly, the end chest rewards are affected by completion time.. which also affects #totems given:

6 Totems) +1 to +3 companion gear (about a 50% chance of getting one)
    10 Totems) +3 to +5 companion gear (about a 50% chance of getting one)

The scale is entirely random i've heard, but maybe it drops in the 10 totem 'gold' completion range only.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I remember when the best gear was by playing the webpage dungeons. Sad those are gone.

At level 59 your only option would be to purchase something cheap and low quality from the Auction House. Illusionist Gambit drops companion gear but you need a group willing to go all three rounds for the epic gear. IG is a skirmish where the wizard Lukan throws mobs of different monsters at you in a medium sized arena. The issue has been, no one wants to do it for the gear, they just want to do round 1 for fast rAD rewards.

Master Expeditions have been a bit lousy on good Companion gear drops. I don't know if the value increases with the challenge or not. However you will need to be level 70 to start the Undermountain and you should be level 80 when you finish and start Master Expeditions.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited April 2020

I remember when the best gear was by playing the webpage dungeons. Sad those are gone.

At level 59 your only option would be to purchase something cheap and low quality from the Auction House. Illusionist Gambit drops companion gear but you need a group willing to go all three rounds for the epic gear. IG is a skirmish where the wizard Lukan throws mobs of different monsters at you in a medium sized arena. The issue has been, no one wants to do it for the gear, they just want to do round 1 for fast rAD rewards.

Master Expeditions have been a bit lousy on good Companion gear drops. I don't know if the value increases with the challenge or not. However you will need to be level 70 to start the Undermountain and you should be level 80 when you finish and start Master Expeditions.

Yup. "Loyal" gear. I still have a number of those pieces (some unbound). One of the things I really miss about the Gateway was the artwork when you entered a room. It was really nice.
    Post edited by hustin1 on
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    edited April 2020
    @hustin1

It would be nice, if someone at Cryptic could rummage up the old code for that game and redistribute it as a stand alone for download.

I bet they shredded it. Probably don't have the graphics or the code.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    It was fun.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, they could just copy over the "Duty Officer Assignments" system from STO over to NWO and let us send companions on quests that offer companion equipment (bound to account) as reward.

I mean what's the point of having all those wonderfull different companions, when they end up being only a little percentage boost to the category bolster?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    As sandukuputu stated, much of the companion gear pre-lvl 70 came from Illusionist Gambit that was part of the Random Dungeon/Skirmish queue before they changed it. Participation in Stronghold events for players below 11K IL will result in hits of 1 which will not give you enough credit to benefit from doing the BHEs (T3s) that drop the companion gear (very randomly).

Which begs the question, why does someone below level 70 need a 'boost' to their stats from a companion? I'm always just happy having mine clearing mobs as a second 'player' in the quest.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User

Which begs the question, why does someone below level 70 need a 'boost' to their stats from a companion? I'm always just happy having mine clearing mobs as a second 'player' in the quest.

OP did not say he needs it. He just asked a question.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    regenerde said:

Well, they could just copy over the "Duty Officer Assignments" system from STO over to NWO and let us send companions on quests that offer companion equipment (bound to account) as reward.

I mean what's the point of having all those wonderfull different companions, when they end up being only a little percentage boost to the category bolster?

I only played STO to learn the Foundry because they had it there for "beta testing" first. During the alpha tests and onward I wondered why they didn't allow for 1 to 3 retainers using the away team from STO. D&D rules state the player's charisma score allows for 1 to 3 retainers. Also you cannot tell the companion or pet to guard an area, attack an area, or remain passive. None of that made any sense after seeing the better companion system on STO they left behind. Instead we get 1 NPC that wonders about attacking anything that moves, or during retreats drawing more mobs to attack the player.

I also recall the "Duty Officer Assignments" was a list of tasks your personnel would perform while they were sent away on assignment. If successful you would get paid in gold (credits), AD(dilithium), and/or useful items. Much of the stuff they cut from STO could have been of great use here to make the game much better.

@hexngone#5489 Because they will not be under level 70 forever. B)
    wb-cenders.gif