test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scaling perspective from an almost newbie.

ashesreborn#2913 ashesreborn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2020 in Player Feedback (PC)
I know next mod should improve the way scaling works in the game, but I wanted to bring the opportunity to share what I read on OBIKIN89’S Guide for Cleric which exactly what I feel as a newbie.

The scaling on equipment is actually the worst part, because it impacts newer player the most (it’s easy to have high item level equipment through expeditions in Undermountain). But people with capped stats for the hardest content also lose so many stat points that they are not capped for the lower item level dungeons

This is really bad design. Having stats above the cap brings nothing, so there shouldn’t be a need for scaling them down. If anything had to be scaled down, there should just be a cap on Power.

I really hope the improved scaling system fixes this mess as it stands now. I shouldn't be forced to use 2 different gear set, one for low end content (<15k item level) and just another totally different for doing campaigns (unscaled content).
I mean, I have to figure out a workaround to be under 15k item level for Demo as an example by just removing a single gear piece or looking for a lower item level piece just to avoid the massive stats loss.

As Obikini's said, it really hurts new players whilst you developers insist on pushing higher item level gear at the same time. It feels to me there's certainly some kind of inconsistency around game's planning.

I have the belief this is one of the many reasons why many random pick up groups queue fail in the end. It creates frustration and zero gratification on a majority of players.

Would it be possible to ask in advance for information regarding the issue which you seem you will fix in mod 19?

Thanks.
Post edited by ashesreborn#2913 on

Comments

• durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    Take this with a grain of salt, but once you have run the stuff and have become familiar with the underlying mechanics of dungeons/trials, not hitting the caps while being scaled down will not be the issue.

Most random queues fails because they are not familiar with said mechanics, because they attempt Random Queues for the RAD, and they just never bother to learn the mechanics of let's say lomm, or codg, or castle ravenloft, and just quits or afks as soon as they get it.
  • ashesreborn#2913 ashesreborn Member Posts: 6 Arc User

Take this with a grain of salt, but once you have run the stuff and have become familiar with the underlying mechanics of dungeons/trials, not hitting the caps while being scaled down will not be the issue.

Most random queues fails because they are not familiar with said mechanics, because they attempt Random Queues for the RAD, and they just never bother to learn the mechanics of let's say lomm, or codg, or castle ravenloft, and just quits or afks as soon as they get it.

There's some truth behind your words which I honestly agree and believe too. But, it is just curious that I feel like most failed runs/attempts on randoms are dpses fault.
    I see so many gimped dpses while doing randoms that I do really think even they may know the mechanics they simply don't care at all. But this is just another story related to RAD rewards as you mentioned and the stubborness of a "free carry me" mindset established along randoms.
    Scaling doesn't help or contribute to negate this impact, on the contrary it makes it worse.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Lomm is a bit of a nutcase... (*sideeyes Xuna*)
    It's not that much of an issue when you can't find people to run it with anyway, but the way Lomm's scaled is a bit idiotic.

Of course all scaled queues work if you have done them before and are good on stats, but if I overcap unscaled, I should cap scaled. Power/HP scaling is in a weird place.

The pugs I have seen fail are not because of scaling, its because of new people that do not know that Omu is a map that can queue anything they see. So they do. Which is understandable, when you still think RAD is the only AD you can make, you at least want to cap to see the light one day.
    - bye bye -
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    A mediocre player with a poor character build design and high stats scales down to a mediocre player with a poor build design. The scale down of the stats is not causing them to perform poorly... most of the time. Many players (in a rush to meet higher content to obtain best rewards) are donning the highest IL gear they have in an attempt to cap their stats. Many of them have multiple characters and are not "fresh" at playing their class and really have not optimized their build or gameplay.

That said, some items scale well, while others scale poorly. If your character has 150,000 Combat advantage... it probably scales to about 80-100% on RTQ/REDQ content. In LoMM, however you would have 20% wasted CA. Most players dont optimize their crit & CA on each RTQ/REDQ. It takes time, resources, & knowledge... for mediocre gains, and then you have to rebalance yourself when you get out of the mission.
  • agonistes#1431 agonistes Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    It's funny because two of my newest guildies that we've been showing and teaching stuff to said the exact opposite, they loved the scaling system and it's apparently the reason both of them came back to Neverwinter.

Really shows how you can't please everyone. I am hopeful the next tweaks to scaling are going to get us closer to the intended result. Cryptic has done a great job changing it over time and each change gets us closer to a good system.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    When I can heal in To9G and Fangbreaker, but not in eToS or Valindra, there is a problem. And not with my healing.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I thought the best part of scaling was taking my pally's crit which is 1.25x my power and making lower than my power. No? What you mean that sucks?
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    greywynd said:

When I can heal in To9G and Fangbreaker, but not in eToS or Valindra, there is a problem. And not with my healing.

remember that not only you are scaled down, those 3 dps and tanks also are and they can have their stats very low beyond the cap and thus get wrecked in 1 or 2 slaps to the butt.
  • agonistes#1431 agonistes Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2020

It's funny because two of my newest guildies that we've been showing and teaching stuff to said the exact opposite, they loved the scaling system and it's apparently the reason both of them came back to Neverwinter.

Really shows how you can't please everyone. I am hopeful the next tweaks to scaling are going to get us closer to the intended result. Cryptic has done a great job changing it over time and each change gets us closer to a good system.

It's way different when healers get scaled, and also it's way different scaling between dungeons. Like I posted before my heals lost 40 thousand HP and 17 thousand power for being .009 over 24k. That's not good scaling. If it were good scaling I would maybe lose 500 to a thousand hp and maybe no power. Considering I see people running lomm with over 200k power so why am I getting mine lowered to almost below 120 as heals?

I'm a warlock healer and I haven't had/seen any issues--but I've been playing awhile so it wasn't a big deal to me. I am hopeful the next scaling patch gets us closer to a better system. I am happy that NW has something like scaling, the other MMO I play does not have scaling and there's so much content that's completely invalidated. Nobody even uses the queue and only the current expansion dungeons get played (which are 2 of them, btw). It's irritating.

I'd rather be annoyed at the current system than not have it at all.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

remember that not only you are scaled down, those 3 dps and tanks also are and they can have their stats very low beyond the cap and thus get wrecked in 1 or 2 slaps to the butt.

Yes, and they whine and they cry about the healer, who has burned through their divinity and are trying to recharge.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • reeper#9973 reeper Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    Why do we need scaling on Lvl 80 content like LOMM anyways?
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

Why do we need scaling on Lvl 80 content like LOMM anyways?

Because without scaling it would make sense to keep your gear up to date.

Scaling justifies maintaining your char net worth 20k AD, dreading further investment. Just give up, really. For example, my warlock finally discarded (legendary rank) "lvl. 80" set and downgraded to a blue version of Lostmouth set. As I usually play only scaled content, my damage went up significantly. The same goes for rank 14-15 3xstat/2xstat enchantments - it has higher IL, it is a liability, get rid of it! Slot in the free rank 8 radiants - and you will tear up the charts!

Ok, now on the serious note: LOMM. I personally know only the scaled version, most of my runs ended by Arcturia. I believe that without scaling - no gear nerf, stats juggling, no bias against multi stat enchantment - it would bring the completion rate much higher, which is... I guess... undesired?
    The m16 scaling emphasis was on making players suffer, struggle - and leave the instance feeling like HAMSTER. To ensure this experience, you simply need the scaling, because otherwise you could succumb to the idea that if you geared up better, you might not have such dreadful moments facing an outdated opponent.

Scaling is here to remind you: It is not your gear what sucks.
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @rikitaki said:
    > (Quote)
    > Because without scaling it would make sense to keep your gear up to date.
    >
    > Scaling justifies maintaining your char net worth 20k AD, dreading further investment. Just give up, really. For example, my warlock finally discarded (legendary rank) "lvl. 80" set and downgraded to a blue version of Lostmouth set. As I usually play only scaled content, my damage went up significantly. The same goes for rank 14-15 3xstat/2xstat enchantments - it has higher IL, it is a liability, get rid of it! Slot in the free rank 8 radiants - and you will tear up the charts!
    >
    > Ok, now on the serious note: LOMM. I personally know only the scaled version, most of my runs ended by Arcturia. I believe that without scaling - no gear nerf, stats juggling, no bias against multi stat enchantment - it would bring the completion rate much higher, which is... I guess... undesired?
    > The m16 scaling emphasis was on making players suffer, struggle - and leave the instance feeling like HAMSTER. To ensure this experience, you simply need the scaling, because otherwise you could succumb to the idea that if you geared up better, you might not have such dreadful moments facing an outdated opponent.
    >
    > Scaling is here to remind you: It is not your gear what sucks.

Thank you for the timely reminder of why never, never ever to return to this game, and this developer. I mean it. Sincerely thank you. 🙂👍