test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Castle Ravenloft - Sunsword and Tome suggestion

dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
Let's start with simple things...

I love CR, it's in my opinion the most interesting of dungeons. But Tome and Sword... flavor is nice for both, I love the mechanics of Sunsword and I can use the Tome but most DPS I run with on my healer... can not. Most use LMB Tome at will by simply clicking and not holding, wasting the at-will.

There were multiple times where even with full light players with Sunsword would not use Aegis, wiping the fight, multiple times, only responding with "wtf".

Even when telling them to use Daybreak, the middle encounter and right encounter (forgot names of most) and where *and* why they'd just respond with "what?"

And those were people from my alliance! Not trolls, people I've ran with different dungeons multiple times!

Not everyone can be intuitive enough to understand the mechanics outright.

That's why I'm writing this suggestion. I know that battle tactics exist, but for most it seems too incomprehensible. If possible, there should be visual guides added to both in game - as cutscenes or just like most beginner guides pointing out what to do in boxes. As a few last arguments not everyone would watch a YouTube video and not many players know how to deal with it all for a simple reason: pre-mod 16 cheese. But this is off topic.

Comments

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    When I first ran CR as a dps, I learned how to use the Sunsword by reading the tool tip of each powers, subsequent runs, I learned a little bit more and more.

None of the dungeons in game have a guide/how to use before each boss for mechanics or items. I think it will trivialize the whole game if they added such guides.
  • acrinicusacrinicus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    I disagree. Unless a person is given instructions on how to do something, don't expect them to do it correctly, especially when the reward for mudding ones way through something is not commensurate with the effort.

This is the primary reason CR and (to a somewhat lesser extent) LOMM have no business in the random queue. The dungeons don't drop anything valuable enough to make them worthwhile for the uninitiated to learn when they can just as well quit and re-queue for something more straightforward and less time consuming for 30k+ AD. Because CR lacks instructions and has mechanics inconsistent with the rest of the game, it is objectively the most unworthwhile epic dungeon to the greatest number of players at the moment. They could change this dynamic by either a) making it easier for new players to understand, b) increasing the quality of the rewards to encourage learning, or c) <insert your idea here>.

I would recommend a) as the op suggested. It is good in-game UXD.
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    @acrinicus You and others may run it for rewards. Others like myself and a few run it for enjoyment, like CR Kteam or just taking new players through it. Sure it would be great if the rewards are better but the dungeon itself is worth it because of design and aesthetics. Also for Sunset weapons restoring reagents (for collection/transmute).

Sure they can make a non epic version of CR, like many have suggested they should do for LoMM/ToMM/ and future dungeons. They certainly should remove CR from random Q, and when they add ToMM/IC into randoms, there be posts asking them to remove those from randoms. Some already post requesting CODG be remove from random Q.

I've run enough CR with new players/pug/friends to know it very well. There been times we failed and times we completed it. I can't recall any of them asking for CR to be what the op suggesting.

In due time they will likely make CR easier, they did that to 2nd boss of MSP, CODG push/pull, everfrost damage from FBI, and last boss of TONG. My guess is they will make "Rondo of the Night" attack not apply perma death if fail.

Post edited by nic1985 on
  • dracory1#6808 dracory1 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    The Aegis part should remain unchanged in my opinion. It's a check of how well players did. Same with CoDG vs Acarerak. Not enough DPS? Dead. In this case: Not enough light? Dead. But you can pass with little light as well, just need a good healer. It should be more obvious what to use instead of throwing players in with no information.