test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Siege of Neverwinter Feedback

13»

Comments

• dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    -What are your thoughts on the duration of Siege? (currently at 2 weeks)
    The duration is great and long enough for everyone to get a chance to participate unlike some of the four day 'weekend' events.

Although there are some who make a case for bigger and better rewards, I consider the Siege event an rewards excellent as an opportunity for lower level and mid level characters to actively participate in guild coffer gathering by way of voucher drops since there are so few opportunities to gather a variety of coffer donations from any other source and the ability to farm for rewards toward an epic mount (a truly worthwhile reward for those who don't already have one) is great.

Higher level characters have other areas where they can obtain bigger and better rewards - not always the case for new, low and mid-level characters.

One thing I would definitely like to see changed is the elimination of Bound to Character (BTC) items. The other day I opened a after action reward tab with a siege supply in it, my next after action reward also had a siege supply in it and got an error notice "you can only have one of a unique item". That same character opened another after action reward the next day with a Siegebreaker mount - and they already had a Siegebreaker mount from a few days prior... very disappointing.
    DD~
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Here's an idea, why does the seige need it's own map?

What if the seige event were to take place on an already existing map? Rotating to a diffent area each time the event comes.

It could mimic the city being under seige by different clans. The rewards could be tailored to reflect the area the seige is taking place

Too much lag as it is...
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Well, the siege always happens at the exact same location every single time. After a while, things do get a little tedious and predictable. But what if some completely new encounters, maps and siege locations were added? What if the very gates of the Protector's Enclave were breached and became war-zones?

The city in flames...
    Citizens to rescue...
    Waves of Dragon cultists with ladders and battering rams...
    A newly resurrected Dracolich...

Get all of us out of our comfort zones and raise the stakes of the siege... and perhaps even make it a Guild Event where each completed heroic encounter and dragon kill counts toward a guild-wide reward.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

Well, the siege always happens at the exact same location every single time. After a while, things do get a little tedious and predictable. But what if some completely new encounters, maps and siege locations were added? What if the very gates of the Protector's Enclave were breached and became war-zones?

The city in flames...
    Citizens to rescue...
    Waves of Dragon cultists with ladders and battering rams...
    A newly resurrected Dracolich...

Get all of us out of our comfort zones and raise the stakes of the siege... and perhaps even make it a Guild Event where each completed heroic encounter and dragon kill counts toward a guild-wide reward.

The map is probably the best thing about the Siege.

But they already do something similar to what you suggest with the Jubilee version of the Call To Arms style skirmish. Various waves of bad guys invade Protectors Enclave, and everyone runs round and quickly kills them.

It might not be a bad idea to introduce a repeatable CTA style skirmish for Siege.

It would be really great, (and I would like to see this used more across the board) if they could do it the way they did with the Hell Pit, and have it increase in difficulty over the 2 weeks of the siege. With an increase in rewards, and perhaps even have the progression linked to a goal. So that as the difficulty increases, you work towards a final showdown, that helps bring about the final breaking of the siege?
    It might be a pain to create, but if those progressions ran through different zones, fighting through the siege lines to get to the command centre of the assaulting forces... that would be really cool.

From the point of view of players who like to think that the Dungeons and Dragons aspect of linear story telling actually matters, you never get to break the siege. It just sort of peters out after a fortnight...
    Once a year, every year, a bunch of ineffectual invaders lay siege to the city, the sky gets a bit darker and two weeks later they're gone.
  • antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Siege is THE key event for guilds under level 20.

What are your thoughts on the duration of Siege? (currently at 2 weeks)
    2 weeks is fine.
    -What aspects of Siege do you enjoy the most?
    Stronghold Vouchers
    -What aspects do you enjoy the least?
    Scheduling alongside double shards of power.
    -What motivates you to engage with this event and, if you don't, what would motivate you?
    Stronghold donations.
    -What are your thoughts on the map used for Siege?
    The map is fine if your main aim is vouchers. It is also fine for the non stronghold rewards it is the rewards themselves that hold little replay value after your first year of playing. But that is not unique to siege it can be said for most of the other events.

Without the voucher drops I would not participate in siege. I do not do many of the other events as the rewards for my time do not interest me.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited March 2020

2 weeks is fine.
    Stronghold Vouchers
    -What motivates you to engage with this event and, if you don't, what would motivate you?
    Stronghold donations.
    The map is fine if your main aim is vouchers. It is also fine for the non stronghold rewards it is the rewards themselves that hold little replay value after your first year of playing. But that is not unique to siege it can be said for most of the other events.

Without the voucher drops I would not participate in siege. I do not do many of the other events as the rewards for my time do not interest me.

I would like to highlight that this event really misses any personal benefit once you get the mount. It becomes for the guild donations ONLY.
    For player himself there are:
    guild marks (pointless nowadays),
    currency to buy mount (you already have it, unsellable),
    artefact that is so m4 =) (stats not competitive),
    currency for ToD keys (this used to be useful, but not many people still find running ToD skirmish/dung rewarding as it really misses desirable drops just like all the old skirmish/dungeons),
    some fashion items (needed just once).
    The rest is not even worth mentioning. Generally, if you have ever participated for 14 days total, you are probably all set with personal rewards and the siege event shrinks just to the voucher drop. (=I do not feel motivated to participate)

On the other hand, map is fine, the event itself has some atmosphere, and what happens there makes sense. Would be good again after altering the rewards a little.
  • muzza799#3349 muzza799 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    This event is the lifeblood of growing guilds. 2 weeks is a great length but being able to get vouchers from other stuff like the heroic rewards would be great because even hosting giveaway contests as a reward for most vouchers collected isn't enough motivation to get guildies farming this event anymore.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

Here's an idea, why does the seige need it's own map?
    What if the seige event were to take place on an already existing map? Rotating to a diffent area each time the event comes.

Because the Siege is a fixed point in Neverwinter's history. It doesn't keep happening over and over.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jakeriversjakerivers Member Posts: 8 Arc User

Greetings Adventurers!

Siege of Neverwinter is now live! The current run of this event does not yet incorporate any planned updates so we'd like to take this time to gather your feedback on what changes, updates, etc. you'd like to see for Siege. To get folks thinking, here are some example questions:

-What are your thoughts on the duration of Siege? (currently at 2 weeks)

The length seems fine, 2 weeks to get the epic mount.

-What aspects of Siege do you enjoy the most? What aspects do you enjoy the least?

The map is cool, and 3 heroic staging area's keeps it sorta busy.
    The reward for 2 weeks of participation seems to be narrow, maybe more 14pt rewards, such as companion's.
    The vouchers do not seem to drop that often, bad rng for me maybe.
    Nice to get the coffers.
    The shop is lacking in quality of items a level 80 player would want.

Reward drops from doing the heroic's and collecting the points.
    Better reward choices would be good, and a reworked shop.

The map is great, but this is the only siege I have participated in, as a returning player after a 7 year break. ^_^

These are just examples of feedback but feel free to let us know any other thoughts you have on this event! As always, please keep your feedback constructive and civil.

• zebulondaktoidzebulondaktoid Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    How about making the event seem more like an actual siege? Starting outside the gates of the city to be confronted by massed ranks of the enemy would be nice. This could even be a separate map and be called a sally forth event or something similar. I, for one, would love the chance to charge in there on my trusty mount and smash the enemy lines.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    It's generally fine. One of the better events in terms of time spent and enjoyment. I very much like that this isn't a very long event, and I especially like the synergies with Guilds.

I would like more vouchers because it's not honestly that much currency and it's the main motivator for many of us.

I would like updated rewards - artifacts brought to current standards, and the other items to be desirable. I do not want the "take the old item, do all this work on top of it to modernize it" approach. Just update the rewards and give better options and value given the current game and the low amount of available time.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Some quick observations/suggestion from someone who has seen this event evolve since its first iteration/inception.

GENERAL::

- Make the encounter continuous, multi-stage / multi-area like GW2 or old Tiamat raid.
    - Increase the map size so you extend the area behind the catapults for multi-stage event
    - Only one encounter per map at a time ( so you can raise the event difficulty ) and have everyone on the map focus on the same event.
    - Increase the mob varieties assuming they are incorporating the current Avernus arc into this, since this was originally Tyranny of Dragons/Cult of Dragons themed.
    - I don't want to stub on the toes of the voucher farmers but they want to solo and ask you not to advertise the event and worse keep the raid boss alive so they can farm vouchers. Obviously that's a bad design. So either put a timer on vouchers like the dragon coffers. Mod 5 they added a 2 minute timer per coffer drop in Well of Dragons. I assume that's still in place including in this event. Or just sell them in event store from currency or make them part of completing event reward.
    - Increase base map capacity to 20.

DRAGONS:

- Ground Dots have excessive damage(!!!) Insta death for many, especially newbies. They get slaughtered until crippled.
    - Standardize the size of the Dragon's self-aoe. Some are large, some are small. The large one is very tough to escape for melee. Make it midway between the small and large self-aoe.
    - Halectrizar and many thunder/lightning dragons have an escapable direct attacks that kills instantly especially newbies. Please make a pass on all direct attacks on all dragons.
    - Do a pass on ground attacks not showing red at all. Can't be telegraphed as above direct attacks. The old blue dragon in the Well Dragon is perfect (tough) aoe model. It's almost split second but avoidable.
    - Double/Triple the HP of the Dragons.
    - Make them summon wyverns/drakes/minions.
    - Attack patterns themselves are actually already very good for every dragon. No need for tinkering for that except for the ones mentioned that is hard to mitigate for newbies.

INVASION/ASSAULT:

- Triple/Quadruple the HP of minions
    - Boss should have 20-40x the HP
    - Adjust minion damage

CATAPULTS:

- Just make this part of the multi-stage event/invasion
    - Dragons swoop and attack the ground from air once in a while.

COUNTERATTACK:

- Make this part of the multi-stage encounter
    - This event used to be mayhem when the mobs were much tougher. Can one-two hit you like old Tiamat (not to say they should hit like that again ).
    - Adjust minion HP and Damage ( like Invasion/Assault ).
    - Boss should have 20-40x the HP.

REWARDS:

- Add purple/blue/green Repentant Cultist Companion to the Store.
    - Remove Neverember Guard since it is already part of the Neverember Recruitment event (and purple at that).
    - Make the Archer companion blue or purple
    - Add the promised new trinkets with different stats/effects
    - Make the artifacts level 80 at least.
    - Remove the old, obsolete rewards.
    - New Dyes / New Transmutes
    - Battle Medic used to be the best combat healer companion. But all healers nerfed to 10% of what they used to do. I don't know what's their general plans for healer companions. Maybe convert ALL healers into buffers.
    - Of course, new Mount.
    - Siegebreaker Griffon is already the best free purple mount in-game, especially for newbies.
    - Completing each event should have better rewards if you make events longer and difficult to finish.
    I would like this event to include a 10 man raid event where we are responsible for holding a section of the line against waves of enemies for a certain amount of time until reinforcements arrive. You could give each player a certain number of points which could be used before the battle to build defensive structures. No role requirements. If a player chooses a trebuchet (for example) as their defensive option, let them press F to fire it. I am sure players would love that.
    edited March 2020
    @reapermanaus#2689 I think the scavenger pack extra writs are just in case you miss more than a day or so of the event. Once you have the Griffon and the free charger, is the other horse you can buy with the writs even worth getting?
  • amarylliscandyamarylliscandy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

2 weeks is fine.
    Stronghold Vouchers
    Stronghold donations.

I would like to highlight that this event really misses any personal benefit once you get the mount. It becomes for the guild donations ONLY.
    For player himself there are:
    guild marks (pointless nowadays),
    currency to buy mount (you already have it, unsellable),
    artefact that is so m4 =) (stats not competitive),
    currency for ToD keys (this used to be useful, but not many people still find running ToD skirmish/dung rewarding as it really misses desirable drops just like all the old skirmish/dungeons),
    some fashion items (needed just once).
    The rest is not even worth mentioning. Generally, if you have ever participated for 14 days total, you are probably all set with personal rewards and the siege event shrinks just to the voucher drop. (=I do not feel motivated to participate)

On the other hand, map is fine, the event itself has some atmosphere, and what happens there makes sense. Would be good again after altering the rewards a little.
    This time I DID do a lot more siege then I have done in a while. I just went because I had time to kill. OP healer, I figured why not go heal other players & help with whatever was on my instance. I didn't instant hop for dragons. Time to kill and nothing else. Other then vouchers it's not much when it comes to rewards for myself. Quoting these posts & touch on a important topic that ties in with the event.

Growth of guilds/alliances & the community & keeping this community alive. Grinding for ones Guild is no picnic.
    Outside of the event not including voucher drops from lock boxes, we can craft vouchers but that too has limits. This is likely why this event is so important for guild progression.

__How scheduling these together does not work out. The guild Leveling guild burnout__
    - Over the years one thing about this event that always stuck out was how empty the game would become the following week plus. Things round these events would go dead!
    - Many growing guilds/alliance/members grind to progress their guild to the point of burnout when we have events like this let alone ones that also have double shards of power on at the same time. Even having a double shards directly after or before will likely have that same burn out effect.

There is likely to be a little burnout no matter what. With both events at the same time, you often notice a fairly large drop in numbers in guilds/alliances as suddenly many go on break and for a good bit longer then after having done some grind for other events. For the smaller guilds/alliances it is almost surely going to happen if they are really working hard to try and level their SH mostly by grind.

- Staggering these events up it would really help the community. All guilds/baby guilds/Alliances.
    Now if we have any changes to SH levels or what have you you will have higher level guilds facing this burnout vacation from NW as well.

- I think it would be nice to add another slightly higher tier Vouchers or different voucher type?
    This could be applies to the campaign crafted vouchers, or add them for these types of events. [If this is a horrible idea, and I have not considered something, I am sure someone will point it out. I hope so]

Grinding a guild to Lvl 20 for free is going to take a while unless you have coffer requirements & enough members to help.
    For a slightly more casual guild or one that has a handful of dedicated guildies (with many alts) who play regularly and stick with the game long term/a long time.
    Okay that's an understatement, leveling was rough! However our guild did most of it's growing when the alliances had just been added. It was a bit of a odd spot. Most alliances been in the process of trail and error, learned how to manage themselves. Adding alliances was a good move. It can be somewhat helpful to very helpful it really depending on how your alliance works.

It is still a fairly large grind to do but to grind it for free one should expect that it will take time, even with a large guild.
    Currently in this mod where guild growth is concerned, some minor changes are need to keep the community is growing.
    If later we get changes to the SH, this may need to be revisited again.

Grinding campaigns to make vouchers has it's own limits.
    - 18 hour time-gated to craft vouchers
    - The time needed to grind currency provided you are finished the campaign. In this case for a new players/new toon they are putting aside their progression to help. As kind as this is, your character's progression is just as important too your guild & the community.
    - Along side time, currency, you will need gold some vouchers will need more gold then others. Creating a Sharandar voucher will cost 3 gold, Dread 5 gold, IWD 5 gold. Are you a new player who may still need the gold they have to progress? A semi casual regular? fully casually. Do you do professions?

It is just time for a little update that would be where my new tier for vouchers idea came from, even if its not the best idea someone else may have some ideas.

I had hopped that by now the guilds still leveling would be able to soon find alliances with guilds who could afford to help without slowing their own progression.I know there was some struggle on for alliances and guilds still leveling as I had leaders form other guilds/alliances outside my own mentioned this to me. Issue with baby guilds growing, alliances having issues of filling slots & keeping them filled. I know guilds & even alliances had died off, some remaining even merged.
    I am unsure of how this situation is currently there is likely still, a bit of recovery needed.

Just like in life things change, people come into our lives and go It's no different with an MMO it's just the norm.I will just leave this stupidly long post as is. I have already invested too energy answering this. I am sure there are plenty more good ideas to come from others!

|🌙|

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Increase the droprate of the vouchers.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
This discussion has been closed.