test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Issues on Wednesday?

Since the forums seem to be working, and while I'm waiting for the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate to finish, it's been running for 10 minutes, only has 18 MB (that's megabytes, with an M) to go.

I did speed tests and my fiber connection is rocking, so this is clearly serverside.

The handful of times I was able to login with the game, the game never really ran. No chat. No updates. Keep rubberbanding back to where you started. If this download speed on the launcher update is to be believed, it's no wonder the game isn't working right now. Heh... I'm already at 15.9 megabytes left to download, just as I was typing this message.

The servers possible caught the corona virus? Anyone else want to commiserate? or is it just me (despite having a great result on the speed test)?

Comments

• easyas123#9321 easyas123 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    oh rats...

it just reset itself and started downloading again. :( This takes me back to when we used to wait 10 minutes to download an mp3 file from an ftp server over dialup. :)
    (notice the time difference in my posts) :)
  • ogkush12ogkush12 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    the game for me just crashes every time I start it up and the one time I got in the game today the campaign menu was glitched out and trying to sell zen for AD is not working anymore
    Of course... is this an appropriate venue to request an extension of the Siege Event, in the event that this prevents me from getting my writ for today? :)
    Well... for what it's worth, I log in from Dallas, TX. If I let the game client sit for a while, guild chat started working. Other players in my guild are working fine, but they are not in my geographic area. Our guild master is in north central US and doing fine. Event though the chat box is now working, the game is still unplayable. I'm definitely gonna miss my last writ today if this doesn't change. :(
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    If you use https://www.speedtest.net change your test server to any San Jose, CA server on their list. Cryptic's servers are in Los Gatos but San Jose is about as close as you can get. This might give you an idea if there is a dead spot in the middle. But there is not much you can do about that. If you use the Arc or Steam launchers, you can find the Neverwinter.exe and run that direct from the folder. Not 100% sure where they install it for the launchers. You should be able to do a file search to find it.

I won't tell you to reinstall the game, if your network is lagging.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited March 2020

That looks like it should be good enough to play. I normally use the Arc Launcher, but was going to try to install a different copy via Steam, but the download on that one was unfinishable, it couldn't even complete the little launcher update that runs first (that's what the screenshots above were showing).

When I did login with the Arc copy, my character list took forever to come up. Once I clicked into a character, it was unusable, I kept getting rubberbanded to where I started (as though my requests to update my position in the game never made it to the server).

Additionally, NPCs and other assets in the game had funny labels:

I'm guessing, there is text that needs to be downloaded from the server before those get filled in. I was logged in this morning to invoke, and things were working great then. Now... it's just a bunch of bizarre labels and inability to move around. :(

edited March 2020
    I was able to get logged in using GeForce NOW. It's not quite the same experience as playing directly on the desktop, but at least I don't have to beg them for my Siegebreaker Griffon I've been working for the past 2 weeks. :)

• tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User

If you use https://www.speedtest.net change your test server to any San Jose, CA server on their list. Cryptic's servers are in Los Gatos but San Jose is about as close as you can get.

Way back in the day, when Cryptic was still running City of Heroes, their servers were in CA, iirc. (They had pretty bad lag and disconnects then, also.) I believe their main offices are still in CA.

As far as I know, when they shifted to Champions and STO, at some point the game servers were relocated to the east coast. At least, when the lag becomes unplayable and I start running tracert's to see where the problem is, the last jumps are usually through servers in Atlanta, Chicago or Boston (it's changed over the past 10 years).

That's for the patchserver.crypticstudios.com address though, which I assume is also where the game servers are located. Please let me know if anyone has more accurate/recent information than that, though.

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    @tribbulater all the servers (not proxies) are 208.95.186.### or 208.95.184.### IP look up reports the position as San Jose, CA.

I think you are talking about proxy servers. They haven't changed.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited March 2020
    My tracert the other day ended in:

15 90 ms 90 ms 89 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

There were 3 different timeouts along the way (whatever that means).
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

My tracert the other day ended in:

15 90 ms 90 ms 89 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

There were 3 different timeouts along the way (whatever that means).

It means the hops in the middle do not want to give you that information.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***