test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Notes: NW.120.20200302a.6

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Patch Notes for tomorrow's maintenance are now available:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11396093

Comments

• durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    Enemies and Encounters

General

Narzugon: The Fear power cast by these enemies now properly matches their warning indicator radius.
    Succubus and Incubus enemies now cast Charm less frequently.
    Succubus and Incubus enemies no longer have a chance to just stand idle for a second or two during combat.

General

Anniversary Ham can now correctly be eaten by Fighters.

Seems like vallenhas and IC getting a nerf.. why? If the warning indicator being bigger than it shows is a bug and is being fixed, do this for trobriand in LoMM too.

Looks like we'll have more immortal tanks now with so much stamina if the ham will now work correctly.

sigh.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    A lot of players I have talked to are really upset about the FOV change, and would really like the change to be reconsidered. There is a feedback thread on Reddit about it here.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @hrakh I have messed around with FOV and use it at 120 up in Bryn Shander to farm for voninblod artifacts. They are pretty easy to spot from orbit with a fish-eyed lens. :lol: Other than that I really do not understand what they mean by, "The goal of this change is to reduce the pressure on players to make the game look less readable..."?? The UI HUD is not effected by changing this value. This value warps the 3D environment only. The 2D overlay remains unaltered.

For the players who don't understand, reading this commentary; type in the chat box /gfxsetdefaultfov 90 and you can see more of your surroundings. This is not a zoom out, it is a field of veiw. The human eye has an average FOV of 130 to 145 degrees from side to side. When you are talking about FOV in a game or camera, it is the cone of what the camera captures and I think the game default is 55, I think? To reset the FOV use chat with /gfxsetdefaultfov 55

Imagine if you have a fancy curved BIG screen monitor and want to adjust the game FOV to match your monitor. Depending on the curve, the closer you sit near the monitor, you would want to increase the FOV, and lower it the further away you positioned. If the monitor could wrap around you then you would want to set the FOV to 360, at this point you wouldn't need to use the mouse to see behind you.

In the end, the FOV setting is just there to make the 3D visuals more appealing. Once again, Cryptic removes a feature, and most people will shrug it off. I don't use this feature often but I don't like them removing more and more from the game.

Whittle whittle with my knife,
    I remove the pieces I despise.
    Now the extra parts are all gone,
    There is nothing left to cannibalize.

Whittle whittle all my life,
    People called me insane.
    Now there is nothing left to do,
    But count the splinters that remain.

wb-cenders.gif
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Normally not one to complain much, but the change to the max. FOV need to be reconsidered FAST!
    Lots of people have problems with nausea if the FOV is too low and 70 is definitely too low.
    For the life of me I can't see any legitimate reason to limit it this much.
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • acutetoxicityacutetoxicity Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Samsung CF791 UW .. default FOV looks HAMSTER, 70 FOv looks HAMSTER. I usually play with 110 please reconsider... Are you sure it isn't cutting down graphics on screen to offset lag?
  • shoziku222shoziku222 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    hrakh said:

The goal of this change is to reduce the pressure on players to make the game look less readable,
    The wording here is what is confusing me. Where is the pressure coming from to make the game less readable? Why would someone want anything less readable? FOV is not typically something that affects text or other readable parts of the interface. I've been reading English well for more than 50 years but this wording seems so foreign to me.

• bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    How about you let me make my own decisions on how i want things displayed.

If i start getting dizzy or motion sick from this, i will be supremely pissed.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I SO wish the Patch Notes had shown a warning that certain classes would have Abilities/Powers/Boons reset. I would have taken screenshots before maintenance started.
  • co2#1085 co2 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    the 'demon' boon got a nerf (its now just 'fiends'). my first impression is that chars which used them got a reset. but there might be other changes/reasons as well.
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User

the 'demon' boon got a nerf (its now just 'fiends'). my first impression is that chars which used them got a reset. but there might be other changes/reasons as well.

All my toons have that boon. Only one of them got reset.
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User

All my toons have that boon too but none of my toon got reset.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    Whoever thought this was a good idea (FOV) obviously doesn't play the game. This is a TERRIBLE "fix". Please change it back. or allow us to gfxsetdefaultfov to override it cause this is downright a useless fov of 70..

All my toons have that boon too but none of my toon got reset.
    so there is another reason.
    btw: that's not good for both of you, because now you have a significant less worthy boon set.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Update for y'all. I can't play anymore. 10-20 minutes causes eye pain that turns into head aches. did a few tests to make sure, but it was pretty consistent. Even though it doesn't look bad to me, after a while it just starts to hurt. You have taken a game i love and made it hurt me.

After 6 years of playing you took the game away.

I am either going to have to learn to adapt, or all the effort, detail, story and love i poured into these characters will just have to be discarded.

god i hope i either get used to it or you change it back.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • krevgkrevg Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Thank for not telling anyone that classes could be reset. My SW, who has NO noted changes in the patch was reset. Sorry, but this is just horrible. I could have taken a screen shot if you announced you were resetting toons. I thought better communication with players was a goal, then you reset toons and don't tell anyone it will happen....Just wrong!
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    HOLY CARP! I thought during the maintenance you were talking 90 or 110 but 70 max! ???

Who runs the GUI department? I don't mean to sound insulting, but do they have visual issues? Players will feel like they are viewing the world through a knot hole! I wear eye glasses myself but it seems like every time you make a change to the GUI it is just an awful choice in the wrong direction. I know it is a bit off topic, but do they ever plan to fix the travel maps? How about an "optional" reticle? Redesign the HUD and make it look better?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Can we please have confirmation that "fiends" include both demons and devils? That was the original description of the boon. Or is "fiend" a completely different entity? Thank you.
    nerfing the 'demon mastery' boon was a bad decision. it turned an interesting option (good design) into a 'no option' (bad design).
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us when you will force us to recreate our characters. Forcing a reset of our characters is terrible. If this is really over one boon... come on. Give me the option at least. Better yet, take that option out and give me the boon points. Find an option that doesn't HAMSTER us without warning, please.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User

Can we please have confirmation that "fiends" include both demons and devils? That was the original description of the boon. Or is "fiend" a completely different entity? Thank you.

There are enemies with ''fiend'' above them and since the rest still has demon/devil i think it was just a nerf without telling us so i believe that's why they gave a free retraining but they messed that up and only some got one
  • hrakhhrakh Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    rev#7881 said:

There are enemies with ''fiend'' above them and since the rest still has demon/devil i think it was just a nerf without telling us so i believe that's why they gave a free retraining but they messed that up and only some got one
    In D&D, both demons and devils are fiends. While I did not test the effects of the change, it is absolutely possible this is intended as a clarity issues or even a buff.

• daviar1daviar1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    Sadly, the campaign flag for many is now grayed out with a "campaign coming soon" tool tip when hovering over it.
    sometimes the hot key will work to open the campaigns, sometimes you have to re-log. I've also noticed once the campaign flag shows up as usable, it can deactivate to gray again when maps are changed.
  • madrudedmadruded Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Game keep crashing on AMD computer...
  • ogkush12ogkush12 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    game keeps crashing to
  • midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    After this patch I've noticed that the Critical Rate on my Barbarian has noticeably went down, especially on the Encounter Power Bloodletter, I noticed this in both ToMM and IC, I run these a lot so I could really tell the difference. I did a few runs to test it so it can't be just a "unlucky crit run". I even had a 22% critical rate on Bloodletter on an entire IC run.

Yes I do have my critical hit capped for both ToMM 80k, and IC 85k.
    I tried resetting my character a few times.
    I didn't have to respec my character after the patch, while I know many others had to.
    I am not sure if this is a bug specifically with the class, the encounter power or the stat, but I'm definitely sure something is not working as before.

This is an example of a ToMM run I did yesterday:

As you can see I had 31% critical rate on Bloodletter (Salassatore), on 85 hits

And this was my friend's log on the same run:

He had even lower crit rate, with 21% critical rate on 76 hits

@nitocris83 @noworries#8859 @cwhitesidedev#9752

• tikamage#2445 tikamage Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    for Field of View, maybe Educate those that need it, a Guide to make it work for your system rather than Make it so EVERYONE has to have it the same way. Those of us that are Educated can make that adjustment with ease, and those that have no idea need that help, and for this I have to say, a Toaster is not a Game but an Appliance has Buttons, a Slide Bar and a Dial for light to dark. The Game is not a Toaster and should never be treated as one, cuase there is no Slide that pops up when your toast is done.