test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Field of View changes

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited March 2020 in Player Feedback (PC)
As of the current preview patch which will soon be live, pc players field of view will be limited to 50-70. This is an incredibly poorly thought out decision for the following reasons.

1. If a player wants to play on a higher FoV they can currently. If the distortions bother them, they can lower it. Nobody is forced to play using a high FoV, which means the only people punished by this change are those who want to.
2. Many people, myself included, experience headaches and nausea when on a low FoV. For me personally, this would make the game unplayable. I experience both when the FoV is under 90.

Now, the only reasons to make such a change are firstly to remove the tactical advantage of people being able to see more or secondly to force parity between pc and console players. There are no other good reasons. So deciding to do this is clearly deliberately making the game less accessible to people (as people like myself do not want to play with a headache) in an effort to artificially increase content difficulty.

I have no issues with harder content, but I do have an issue with making a game actively induce nausea into its players in order to achieve it. @nitocris83 please raise this as an issue, because I am certain this affects more than just 1 or 2 pc players.

Preview patch notes:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1254931/infernal-descent-preview-patch-notes-nw-120-20200302a-6
Article about FoV causing headaches/nausea for reference:
https://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why-video-games-make-you-feel-sick-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Comments

• catson#7772 catson Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    here bit of my rant:

Seriously, nobody complained that they're forced to do anything, game is much better playable at 90+ FOV 70 is way to little, you cant see at all what is standing right behind you, is this FPP or 3rd Person after all?

I was using FOV betwen 85 -95 since i got that game, one of things i hated in beginig i started to play this game that FOV sux, before someone told me that i can use gfxsetdefaultfov command to change it, and it was perfect, found my sweet spot around ~90s where game looks good and I can actually notice things i was supposed to.

@nitocris83 @cwhitesidedev#9752
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    OMG! They are going to take the highest fov from me. I only use the max. The setting I have been using for years. Now, this is a bad joke. This will be the one that upset me the most. I do not complain much. The last one I complained about was the introduction of RQ.

@nitocris83 @cwhitesidedev#9752
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • jakeriversjakerivers Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I have not been playing long enough to know I could of increased the FoV, or I would of done this already, the default setting makes the game hard to play, now I won't know what I have been missing out on.

I have not been playing long enough to know I could of increased the FoV, or I would of done this already, the default setting makes the game hard to play, now I won't know what I have been missing out on.

Use the scroll button of your mouse to change it. You can still see the difference. They only lower the max setting.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • cellablockcellablock Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    this was defintiely changed in regards to tomm and ic gg devs thanks for diffut content B)
  • omgmundoooomgmundooo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I already dislike the field of view change. I don't want that. Quarantine is a good moment to try other games with irl friends, i might find something better to play after all.
  • hrakhhrakh Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    This is simply a horrible change. The headache I have right not just contemplating it will be mild when compared to having to play at 70 FoV.
  • sundancewanderingwolfsundancewanderingwolf Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    P.S. The isn't Star Trek Online, we don't need tribbles... get rid of the ridiculous drop rate on the abyssal chickens in Avernus!
    I have had enough drop to supply my entire alliance twice over but they are bound to character.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    Another thoughtless and unwanted decision that devs make without consulting the game community. Instead of fixing bugs, increasing game performance, they introduce a hopeless and unnecessary obstacle. Delays, freezes, disconnections, HAMSTER-up mechanics - these should be your priorities, not something that causes extra discomfort for players. You really don't use your head for thinking?
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

The goal of this change is to reduce the pressure on players to make the game look less readable, for the benefit of being able to see more at once. We'll keep an extra eye on feedback in case there are mechanics that become significantly more difficult with a lower maximum.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    nvm

fdgfdgfd.

There is still a way to surpass the 70er limit. Under Neverwinter\Live\localdata\Gameprefs.Pref the entry
    PrefEntry GfxSettings.DefaultFov 90
    can set the FoV still over 70. On your next game start the prefs are loaded. Just dont use the gfxsetdefaultfov command ingame anymore as it enforces the limits. If you accidently lowered it, you can exit the game, change the gameprefs file to your preferred value and restart the game. Then you still run at your preferred FoV even outside of the limits.

Did they retract that? I have just got into the game and it seems there is no change.
    I checked the above file. It is set to 90. I did not edit it.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    If you do not change your FoV, it will remain above 70. The limit will only kick in if you try to change it. This is I expect an oversight.
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    If your FOV was set above 70 before maint. it is unchanged after maint.
    But you can't change it to anything else in game now or it will be reset to 70.

Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • xsellize8xsellize8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    For me luckly are the settings from before the patch still active. But as soon as i can't change the Fov out to the limit i play with, i see no reason to play a game i get headache from.
  • vorena#3664 vorena Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    If my FOV is reduced to this point it will cause me motion sickness, nausea, and headaches. This will make the game unplayable for me as well. I really hope that you re-evaluate this decision as this will impact more people than you know.

• bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I really hope the Devs are paying attention because even though it is hard to notice, the FOV change is starting to hurt my eyes after 10-15 minutes of play.

Really hope they re-ethink it cause if i have to pick between the game and not having eyestrain induced migraines, the game looses.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Keep the slider at 50-70, re-enable the command so those of us that want to play at higher FoV for headache/ motion sickness reasons (this is why i don't play ESO) have the ability to. I get the "art" reasons for the FoV, but I think the game devs underestimate how nice being able to move that FoV out is for those that deal with migranes and motion sickness in games.
    "Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • hades#2194 hades Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    pls back Field of View to what it was
  • aragon#8379 aragon Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I enjoy playing on 50 fov and have no issues in completing any content (tomm included). Thus I don't see the point in removing the option to have higher than 70 fov. It does not pressure you in anyway to play on higher fov just because its available.

Sure it maybe slightly easier to find Halaster when he appears in the sky, but it is still just as easy on 50 fov, just swing the camera around. For me, playing on a higher Fov limits your ability to see mechanics, and makes it harder to see exactly where your character is, so its much easier to mess up on precise positioning.

But, yeah why remove the option, it just causes more harm and discomfort to those who prefer a larger fov.
This discussion has been closed.