test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opinions Matter? Really?

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
This appeared and was locked to prevent comments.
I don't hold Julia personally responsible for this message as it appears as a form letter or memo across all the forums; We just didn't get to voice any opinions about it here on Neverwinter. The others are still open to discussion. Are we going to hold a memorial service for it on the CDP? Obviously this is a done deal and our opinion doesn't matter.

Many of you read that or are about to read it, and say, "Whoopie-doo Wendy, that is no big issue. What are you fussing about?".

It is very sad, I used this feature very often to communicate and talk to my STO friends. Since I no longer actively play on STO, I will not be able to shout out to them from NW and CO. They pulled the Foundry from both STO and NW last year and now cross chat from all the games this year. I wonder what they plan to remove next? PvP? Mail? VIP? Seal Vendors? The Zax? I don't know. But something will matter to you and I will shrug and ask you, "Where were you when they came after me and mine?". Of course by the time you are complaining about what they remove, I might not be here to listen.

These games are being whittled away like a small piece of wood and soon all we will have left are the splinters. It is a crying shame they keep removing nice things. It appears Cryptic is having a lot of issues, I am not sure what those issues are, but I know removing stuff from the games is not the solution. I plan to go play on Champions for a few weeks and keep up with my friends on there. I am one who cannot shift my focus from one game to the next. I will just pop in Neverwinter to invoke and scoot.

There is a lot on my plate ahead at any rate. My upcoming eye surgery is the 11th, and April 5th I have my last big contest here. If I am around in August, I will attempt to organize the Barovian Bash for anyone interested in hosting events in their local timezone.

Maybe they will use the removal of the cross chat to repair all those bugs?

Have fun <3
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    it's probably on an old decaying server that would cost 8 thousand or more to fix or replace. ( I used to be tech procurement. business servers are ridiculous in cost. a new memory card is often about 5k on an older machine) that would be a solid reason for there to be no discussion on the matter.
  • Options

it's probably on an old decaying server that would cost 8 thousand or more to fix or replace. ( I used to be tech procurement. business servers are ridiculous in cost. a new memory card is often about 5k on an older machine) that would be a solid reason for there to be no discussion on the matter.

It is not hardware, it is the chat engine all the games use. Any developer can chime in here, if I am mistaken, but the change is software and not hardware. When my friends here on NW would be on Star Trek or Champions Online, I could see them and it would tell me they were playing the other game. Now we just will not see or chat with each other, and it is a new communication wall that will impede the games. I would like more information as to how this is an improvement. I don't care how technical you want to explain this move, I would like an answer from an official source. Thanks.

ATTN: @nitocris83
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    What one must learn when one says server is that this game uses a msql based type coding and we call it server when really its a simple application that is loaded up. We use the program and connect to that msql SERVER / Well code really and it handles what we do in game. Really you can not say the this was due to a server because if that is the case then well they should have spent money to get a better computer based server that time they moved those computer based servers to a new location and perhaps maybe even updating the actual mysql application that is in charge of running said server. All I am saying is this has nothing to do with server. Perhaps its more to do with the fact they just do not have the man power to keep it up and perhaps they find it to be not useful and wish to remove it. However they did create it all so they can do whatever they wish and we as the user really can not change that.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

This appeared and was locked to prevent comments.
    I don't hold Julia personally responsible for this message as it appears as a form letter or memo across all the forums;

We just didn't get to voice any opinions about it here on Neverwinter. The others are still open to discussion. Are we going to hold a memorial service for it on the CDP? Obviously this is a done deal and our opinion doesn't matter.

Many of you read that or are about to read it, and say, "Whoopie-doo Wendy, that is no big issue. What are you fussing about?".

It is very sad, I used this feature very often to communicate and talk to my STO friends. Since I no longer actively play on STO, I will not be able to shout out to them from NW and CO. They pulled the Foundry from both STO and NW last year and now cross chat from all the games this year. I wonder what they plan to remove next? PvP? Mail? VIP? Seal Vendors? The Zax? I don't know. But something will matter to you and I will shrug and ask you, "Where were you when they came after me and mine?". Of course by the time you are complaining about what they remove, I might not be here to listen.

These games are being whittled away like a small piece of wood and soon all we will have left are the splinters. It is a crying shame they keep removing nice things. It appears Cryptic is having a lot of issues, I am not sure what those issues are, but I know removing stuff from the games is not the solution. I plan to go play on Champions for a few weeks and keep up with my friends on there. I am one who cannot shift my focus from one game to the next. I will just pop in Neverwinter to invoke and scoot.

There is a lot on my plate ahead at any rate. My upcoming eye surgery is the 11th, and April 5th I have my last big contest here. If I am around in August, I will attempt to organize the Barovian Bash for anyone interested in hosting events in their local timezone.

Maybe they will use the removal of the cross chat to repair all those bugs?

Have fun <3</p>
    I agree totally with the principle of what you are saying.

I don't play STO etc so it doesn't impact ME, but there are those who do YOU so it matters to you more than me.

Having said that I support your right to be annoyed and upset by this decision and support your feelings 100% :)
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Opinion is adversely.
    They wanted to do an easy way to deal with whatever problem they had.
    I suspect they wanted to isolate the chat server within the game so that the game A chat load won't affect the other game.
    They may want to move certain game to a different network/site. (100% no ground to speculate besides whatif)
    They may want to sell a game to another vendor. (100% no ground to speculate besides whatif)
    Anyway, it is their game. So, yes, opinion is just adversely. They decide what is the best for them but the outcome may not be true.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2020

Opinion is adversely.
    They wanted to do an easy way to deal with whatever problem they had.
    I suspect they wanted to isolate the chat server within the game so that the game A chat load won't affect the other game.
    They may want to move certain game to a different network/site. (100% no ground to speculate besides whatif)
    They may want to sell a game to another vendor. (100% no ground to speculate besides whatif)
    Anyway, it is their game. So, yes, opinion is just adversely. They decide what is the best for them but the outcome may not be true.

The chat system was/is somewhat standalone and separated system, using an XMPP protocol. All the "friend X online" messages, ignore blocks and so on, are part of the chat, but it never affects the queue for example because of that separation. You can see it how if the chat server fails the friends list goes bonkers too even if you can see the player infront of you.

I think about a year ago they sunset the external connection (XMPP is a standard, and there are many clients that can connect to it). And there where lately several maintenance notifications that at X time chat will have an issue. So it seems they are implementing something else, or splitting the chat servers, this is ofc an assumption, but perhaps if there is some new implementation we will see better integration, like translation, or ignores affecting grouping, spam detection and filtering, logging, and so on.
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I personally AM concerned about the prevention of discussion and the way things are moderated atm, but the global chat doesn't matter much to me, if they want us to use discord so hard I have no problem with that.
    Edit: I sound very dismissive in this, I don't mean to: I know people will miss the global chat, and I think the topic should have been open so people could at least state that they are unhappy.
    In midst of all the moving forward and No-Toxic-Posts I wonder if we shouldn't just spamqueue all posts so they can get approved by higher-ups before posting ;)
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    I recall the changes made about XMPP that @micky1p00 wrote about, I believe the issue then, allowed gold sellers to spam the system by simple ownership of an account. There was no need to load the game, just any XMPP chat program would do. I haven't seen a gold seller online in a very very long time. I remove everyone from my ignore list at the beginning of each month, I know I am not having to block them.

Either this means;
    Cryptic has them successfully blocked or set some interference to keep them out.
    or
    The gold sellers no longer have much interest in the game.

I too would love it, if they would have announce positive changes being made to chat. Things you mentioned above, "better integration, like translation, or ignores" , have been on my mind for a long time. In my opinion, this is not a positive change. Maybe this is not very negative, but the last innoxious change they made, has my client dropping the chat server. They claim in the memo, "This decision was not made lightly but was necessitated by the resources required to sustain this feature and the standard of quality we strive for across our games." , but this is thin and goes no further into any explanation. Without a more detailed explanation people begin to suspect the worse.

Out of the other games, the users on Champions Online are guessing it has to do with;
    • They are unplugging CO from the system, so they can flush it, without breaking their profitable titles.
    • Side effect of using a single chat server for multiple games.
    • Cut corners and reduce maintenance cost.
    • Traffic volume, i.e. running four games through one sever is too much traffic.
    • Exception handling for items from other games.
    Meanwhile they have 3 pages of speculation on Star Trek.

If this was done to improve chat, I would like to see the chat censor as a personal filter list, and not a mere list of what offends others. For example; I still have no clue why the phrase, "This item sells in the AH for 80K AD" comes back as; "This item sells in the AH for $#&% AD". They have things in chat I would never find offensive on their blacklist. I would love to see more personal control of the filter list with a simple text file I could edit. Maybe the replacement of offensive words, less offensive words. I doubt they would install the universal translator at this point, it would be nice to have multi-linguist chat.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    The external XMPP connection was allowed only to private channels / guild and was limited to owners of the lifetime gold/platinium pack in STO / CO (don't remember the exact naming), the one that costs above 100$.
    Gold sellers are not the issue in this case.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks, this decision was not made by any single game team, it was a company-wide decision since the feature was supported/maintained by a core infrastructure team. These decisions are made after other options have been exhausted and it is determined that this is best for the overall health of all existing and future titles.
  • Options
    djnasty93djnasty93 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Oooold NwO back!!
  • Options

Hey folks, this decision was not made by any single game team, it was a company-wide decision since the feature was supported/maintained by a core infrastructure team. These decisions are made after other options have been exhausted and it is determined that this is best for the overall health of all existing and future titles.

As I stated from the beginning, I knew you did not write the memo. I just felt there should have been a more open discussion as what the exact reasons behind this decision was. All this cloak and dagger, just leads users to wild conjecture and speculation. The core team should have done a blog on this issue and then had you link it to the memo. I am already having issues with chat. I would like to see better lines of communication, but when your core team fails to connect with the community, it makes me question if they really understand the task at all.
    wb-cenders.gif