test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CDP Topic: PvP

Comments

• gweddrygweddry Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 278 Arc User
    Apologies for this wall of text. For anyone who wishes to read the posts all in one place (including one on motivation and purpose of PvP which I left out), you can do so here: https://hackmd.io/@gweddry/rytaCuA4U. Thank you!
  • tankready#0772 tankready Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    So i am new to PvP, But i would like to see a total revamp of all pvp armor & weapon sets - listed below

(SOLO PVP TIER GEAR SETS)

1. I Would like to see each tier of armor have its own currency marks to collect for each set of gear / weapon sets. From campaign currency's or Randoms, Lair or Guild Que match's.

• Tier 1 - Common - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 2 - Rare - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 3 - Epic - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 4 - Legendary - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.

(SOLO PVP WEAPON SETS)
    •Tier 1 - common - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 2 - Rare - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 3 - Epic -Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 4 - Legendary - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.

(NOTES)
    - As you gather better pvp gear enchantment slots will open like Common & Rare 0 slots Epics 1 slot Legendary 2 slots
    - PVE Gear Should never be used in pvp Period.
    - All tier based gear & pvp weapons should be stat based only. No Ability attached to gear.
    - Enchantments - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Insignia's - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Mounts - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Artifact's - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - PvP Weapon sets - Can be used but can increase item level of character. No Ability attached to weapon sets.
    • This way it makes a clean PvP leveling atmosphere for all players while they are leveling up there gear / weapon sets.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (PvP Que's Remastered)

2. I would like to see 3 different PvP Que's one called (PVP LAIRS) & one called (PVP RANDOMS) & one called (GUILD RANDOMS)

(PVP LAIRS)
    • Is for players who are leveling up there gear & Weapon sets ether through the campaign or Lair Que's. That way the newer pvp players don't get (RIP) by veteran players.

(PVP Randoms)
    • Is for those who have completed the PvP campaign & Acquired the boons & legendary Tier / Weapon sets.

(PVP GUILD RANDOMS)
    • This is only Que-able with guild mates & is separate from Lair Ques & Random Ques Guilds could create there own cloaks based on there teams colors and etc.

anyone want to add to guild pvp go for it i could care less (solo PvP for life!)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (LEADER BOARDS)

3. Leader boards for Should only be for.
    • PvP Lair's Ques << Is Strictly leveling up gear / weapons only (Not for leader board)
    • PvP Solo Randoms
    • PvP Guild Randoms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(STRONGHOLD PVP STUFF) << should never be mixed with Lair Ques or Random Ques. Just strictly Guild Random Ques

(Guild Tier Sets)
    • Tier 1 - Common - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 2 - Rare - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 3 - Epic - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    • Tier 4 - Legendary - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.

(Guild PvP weapon sets)
    •Tier 1 - common - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 2 - Rare - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 3 - Epic -Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.
    •Tier 4 - Legendary - Collectible with PvP Campaign Currency's, PvP Weekly Questing in ice wind dale, or Lair Match's Etc.

Notes
    _ PVE gear and weapon sets should not be used in Guild pvp Ques
    - Guild Armor / weapon sets should never cross over to Randoms or Lair ques Or vice versa.
    - All PvP Guild based gear & weapons should be stat based only. No Ability attached to gear.
    - Enchantments - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Insignia's - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Mounts - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    - Artifact's - Can be used but not effect the item level of character.
    -Guild PvP Weapon sets - Can be used but can increase the item level of character. No Ability attached to Weapon sets.
    • This way it makes a clean PvP leveling atmosphere for all players while they are leveling up & there Guild gear / weapon sets.

There is whole lot more that can be said here but i know not everyone will agree with me but let me know what you like differant from this revamp of pvp

ty -TankReady- Best in class guild 2013

• ryvensblade#9833 ryvensblade Member Posts: 2 New User
    On behalf of all serious PvP players on Xbox I am writing this in the hopes that some one at Cryptic will read. Our request is simple, please fix the crashing issue in Domination asap or reset the leaderboard to reflect games that were affected by the constant "high intensity" crashing. You want to fix PvP but if your game is not stable and win/losses are based on who doesn't crash the most then there really is nothing to go on. All we want right now is a sable gaming environment to play.

Thank you,
    Ry
  • abn173d2003#3683 abn173d2003 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    one thing I will add to what @tankready#0772 said is bring back the tenacity stat to pvp gear. PVP started dying out on console when tenacity was taken out of pvp gear and pve gear became the best for pvp. nothing separated the pvp setups from pvp and some of the equipment is pretty OP in pvp so now people want that instead of trying to get their build right.
  • tankready#0772 tankready Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I wanted to link a artical of a trpple a mmo game for pvp

https://dcuobloguide.com/guides/pvp-explained/

If you read you will get a good idea of pvp in neverwinter could be ty
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2020

@trgluestickz Why it does make no sense to be maxed out in PvE to be good in PvP?
    It actually does not make any sense your way.
    So I can 1 shot the beholder but I might not win against fresh out of the Undermoutain adventurer?
    Do you know what a beholder can do? Look it up.
    1.Either you propose a sumo fight were everybody is wearing a cloth. So PvP gear progression is useless in this model.
    Everybody would get the standard cloth when entering the match.

2.Either you propose a normal fight so why your character would have an Alzheimer attack when seeing other player? So pvp gear progression is useless in this model too.
    In my suggestion PvP gear does not exist , problem is solved by matching same level guilds. PvP is used to progress PvE and rebuild guilds and alliances bounds in a way that make sense as world building.

Ehhh?

Edit: After some time trying to figure out what you are trying to say, here is my answer.
    You start out with a "standard" cloth under my suggestion but this cloth doesn't max you out, its just to get you started at a reasonable point where you don't get crushed into dust due to disgustingly inadequate gear. My suggestion offers some unbound items from the milestone tasks you can sell to get the AD for the things that aren't in the PVP stores or to upgrade to higher rank items.

Approaching this from your d&d logic view point about why should someone who can beat up a beholder not be able to beat up an adventurer, I'd say the adventurer is significantly scarier than a beholder. I dunno if you noticed but the things adventurers can do in this game are op as hell, they are like gods. Also, you still can beat up the beholder too since you can progress a character through both PVE and PVP under my suggestions, its not like you are literally restricted to playing one or the other, my suggestions are simply intended to make it more viable for PVP characters to earn a living through PVP instead of having to go to PVE to get everything or whip out your wallet.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Good day, I'm going to break the typical formatting and focus on problems, to be honest I haven't seen solutions that I really like to some of the problems I've seen with PvP.

As a disclaimer, I'm going to admit that I haven't spent any serious time playing PvP in Neverwinter since before M4, I've only dabbled enough to have my PvP prejudices formed since M4 further cemented. I do not plan to seriously give PvP any serious time investment without some major changes. But I feel very nostalgic for some of the Best highlights of the Games PvP golden age in M2 and M3.

Problems I see with Current PvP (just my opinion)
    1. High cost to play
    - Players need to make huge investment just to be allowed to play a match to completion (unless it's a private match, but then there is no reward)
    - High cost includes time spent in PvE farming RNG for the right gear, but also spending currency to get the "right" items up to a high enough level, not spending in the "right" areas is the difference between getting smashed, or doing the smashing... it's not even close
    - I'm not calling this a high cost to compete, because frankly, in the current state of the community, if you are not competing, you get kicked, in fact even if you are competing and doing your part you might get kicked anyway to make room for a particular groups buddies.
    - A brand new to PvP but otherwise extremely skilled player cannot walk into a PvP match and have an experience other than staring at the floor after 3 seconds of combat

2. Hacky/ Meta play valued above skill and teamwork
    - for a multitude of reasons certain party configurations are clearly superior and sought after in matches
    - Some Items in game (like paladins sigil) over perform in PvP and give advantages to players or teams
    - I would agree that class balance is probably the best it's been for PvP since early game mods, but it still has a ways to go

3. PvP / PvE interchange buff/nerf cycle
    - This cycle has had multiple iterations, new item comes to PvE, PvP players exploit it, PvP players complain, Item gets nerfed to the point it is no longer useful for PvE (reverse is true)

4. PvP community "Eats it's own" on a regular basis
    - One of the single biggest reasons people cite for not playing PvP/ stopping to play PvP is community toxicity
    - There will always be some toxicity as long as player vs player competition exists, but a number of factors in game really highlight this flaw in the community

5. Stale game modes/ no variety
    - All the PvP game modes (including siege) are a flavor of domination.
    - Where is deathmatch, team death match, capture the flag, race, etc?

6. There have been multiple PvP centered updates and patches to the game, and none of them have made a significant impact to the quality/quantity of PvP gameplay
    - Maybe this is me being pessimistic, but my perception is that the PvP community has always been a fraction of the player base, and the focus/ investment to date has largely been wasted, is PvP in this game worth actually saving? or would investments be better spent making more PvE content, and bringing back Founderies?
    - I do understand that PvP game play tends to bring the most Marketing on platforms like Twitch, but has a Cost/ Value assessment actually been done for PvP in this game?

Some knee jerk reaction ideas that I like to bring PvP back:

1. Eliminate ALL PvE items from PvP.
    - This includes: enchantments, artifacts, mount powers, mount insignia bonus and gear.

2. I prefer the idea "naked PvP" where everyone has the same gear/ stats for the role they are playing
    - if this isn't feasible then create a PvP only progression system, with a separate inventory, basically completely disconnect PvE from PvP

3. Better skill matching system
    - This is a chicken or the egg problem, we can't have better matching without more players, but we won't get more players without better matching
    - this is exasperated by matching systems that don't balance roles in matches

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • kegsondeck#2000 kegsondeck Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    @nitocris83 I will address your specific questions below.

1. Balance/experience:
    -I think the path of least resistance forward is to make PvP gear that is better suited for PvP than most of the top PvE gear available. Tenacity could be reinstated to make the gear essential. This immediately evens the playing field.
    -offering PvP specific rewards purchasable with glory, season rewards (or zen?), such as insignias that only function as legendary in PvP (the basics - not the new brutality etc.) enchants that increase in value when flagged for PvP, as well as overloads (like hell pit - +5% damage, +5% hitpoints etc.) that are only active when flagged for PvP.
    -Putting an Item level minimum (similar to epic content) on PvP. This would have to eliminate the consideration of companions; if this would be possible an item level of 17,000 - 18,000 should have a minimum of gear to be relevant. **important to not calculate companions as these give tons of item level with no benefit to PvP.

2. Solo Q: when this was originally adopted - it saved what was left of PvP, and allowed it to limp along in a slow decline. I used to love solo Q; now I'm starting to agree that it is a killer.

-I think the way forward is to bring back a focus on team work, and communication.

That being said, I am torn between the two - it almost feels as if one cannot coexist with the other.. more competitive people would come back if the solo Q left, but I don't know that it would produce the level of activity (Q pops) that solo does, not sure if the community could sustain moving away from solo,

Solution?: Perhaps it could be tested moving solo Q back to an event - with increased frequency? If the effects are positive - keep rolling, if they are negative - find a new path forward.
  • rhroudadev#5641 rhroudadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 12 Cryptic Developer
    Hey everyone - I really appreciate all of this feedback and suggestions.

I have a question for you folks though, based on your current opinion of PvP.

If you do not play PvP, what do you feel it would take to get you to try it out for a bit?

If you do occasionally play PvP, What do you feel it would take to make it more of a daily routine for you?

If you play PvP frequently, do you feel like the time you spent in there isn't wasted? And if so, what do you feel would make your time investment feel more respected?

Again, thank you everyone for your posts. I love seeing this discussion.
    -Neverwinter Systems Designer
  • ankhornankhorn Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    @Ankhorn. NW Player Since August 2019. Upper-Middle-Noob

My PVP FEEDBACK Part II

Feedback Overview (short description of the proposed feedback)

A daily, bi-daily or even repeatable Stronghold Quest granting XP, Gold, Guild Marks and [Insert PVP Reward].

Feedback Goal (what this feedback would target and accomplish)

To motivate players to do regular PVP queues and raise the active pvp player base.

Feedback Functionality (how would your feedback work in relation to the current design of Neverwinter).

Simply add a daily quest in the stronghold to familiarize people with pvp, exposing them to more of it, by making pvp part of everyone’s daily routine.

This is exactly what motivates people to do daily dungeon and trial queues. Astrals and rewards. It even motivates underpowered toons to try and sneak into LOMM.

Risks & Concerns (what problems can you foresee with implementing your feedback that you would like input on from members of this subforum)

This would have to be in tandem with any number of other improvements or we will simply have more frustrated players.

I really don’t see any risk. It seems extremely easy to implement by my admittedly uninformed estimation. Equally easy to edit or remove too, I would think.
    ~Neverwinter Foooools!!!!
    edited March 2020

If you do not play PvP, what do you feel it would take to get you to try it out for a bit?

If you do occasionally play PvP, What do you feel it would take to make it more of a daily routine for you?

If you play PvP frequently, do you feel like the time you spent in there isn't wasted? And if so, what do you feel would make your time investment feel more respected?

My PVP FEEDBACK Part II

OVERVIEW (short description of the proposed feedback)

A daily, bi-daily or even repeatable Stronghold Quest granting XP, Gold, Guild Marks and [Insert PVP Reward].

GOAL(what this feedback would target and accomplish)

To motivate players to do regular PVP queues and raise the active pvp player base.

Feedback Functionality (how would your feedback work in relation to the current design of Neverwinter).

Simply add a daily quest in the stronghold to familiarize people with pvp, exposing them to more of it, by making pvp part of everyone’s daily routine.

This is exactly what motivates people to do daily dungeon and trial queues. Astrals and rewards. It even motivates under-powered toons to try and sneak into LOMM.

RISKS AND CONCERNS (what problems can you foresee with implementing your feedback that you would like input on from members of this subforum)

This would have to be in tandem with any number of other improvements or we will simply have more frustrated players.

I really don’t see any risk. It seems extremely easy to implement by my admittedly uninformed estimation. Equally easy to edit or remove too, I would think.

PS
    Has anyone suggested of 2v2 or 3v3 teams yet? That would be pretty cool.
    Im also going to suggest, in a more polished form: Class versus class PVP. Same classes. Class balance fixed. Ta da!
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

For me personally, Team Deathmatch as a gamemode would probably get me to play. I think (weirdly) being able to spectate would probably make me more interested in joining pvp as well.

My PVP FEEDBACK Part III
    Feedback Overview (short description of the proposed feedback)

CLASS VERSUS CLASS PVP MODE!!!

This is self-explanatory and instantly balances classes (within this PVP game mode at least). It is also fun and a great way to learn to play your class offensively and defensively, learning strengths and weaknesses.

Feedback Goal (what this feedback would target and accomplish)

This targets class balance and also PVP training/learning curve issues by letting new players see how other players play their class (both offensively and defensively) too.

Simply add it as a Q option I imagine. Create a daily reward/quest to go with it.

Risks & Concerns (what problems can you foresee with implementing your feedback that you would like input on from members of this subforum)

Some elite players might think it’s dumb. But it would never be the only pvp option. So it really shouldn’t be that hard, or that bad.

PS
    I am having to reformat these so much when I paste them in I am giving up. =(
    It looked beautiful in google docs =p
  • vitherborthvitherborth Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2020

I'm in the category that don't play pvp, but i got interested in it because the reward for pvp seasons would be useful for my character.
    I played a bit in mod 2 when Rick (the kobold) gave the quest for ad to play pvp match, so what would push a person like me to play pvp are reward that are useful in pve.

There are two thing that keep me from trying : i don't know any strategies and if i encounter any powerful guy i'm useless (creating problem to my teem too).
    With a spectator mode one can learn the strategies, and (i'm going to call in my previous post) by dividing the players by league i'm sure that the only thing that matter in the match are my own skill (in league 1) my total playtime in pve and pvp other than skill (in league 2) and and my playtime in pvp and skill (in league 3).
    (note: league 3 is for those that only care for pvp or for a character that is created only to pvp, so that one didn't need to complete the campaing and using pve enchantment and gear on it, but is 'forged' entirely by pvp from level 80 onward)

in conclusion rewards from pvp that are useful in pve and, for balance, reward from pve that are useful to pvp, other that a system that i can use to win even with a weak character.

just an idea : maybe for the waiting time can be useful to have a pseudo-random queue? if 20 are queued for pvp then will pop the stronghold one, if 14 are queued the 2 domination 1 3vs3 and 1 1vs1.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I am in the group that does not play pvp or really any group activities in game. For me, almost all group activities in the game do not have enough ROI for me to consider it worth my time and effort to do (the dealing with other people that want to tell you how to play etc). Honestly to get me to play PVP there would have to be a very high AD reward, like about 10k per match. So I doubt I would be the target audience for this CDP.
  • gweddrygweddry Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited March 2020

As someone who plays PvP frequently, I'd say sometimes time spent there isn't wasted, most of the time it sadly is. It mostly comes down to team comps (e.g. if I'm playing against 3 healers thats a waste of time, not fun, regardless of the outcome). Another factor is character builds/broken items (if I fight a team full of dps roles built as a tank with OP sigil, no fun; if I fight 4 people in green gear, no fun). If I'm playing in a premade, e.g. the tournament running now, I'm very happy with the time I put in. While it's secondary, it'd be nice to receive something of value for winning instead of the green gear that tends to drop.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I enjoy PVP here and there if I queue up with some buddies but by no means do I regularly PVP.

With that said, I won't even make pretend I have any solution to the problems that plague PVP. I will however take a moment to answer your questions from my perspective.

I will answer this from the viewpoint of friends I know that refuse to go in to PVP anymore. To put it simply, they want a fighting chance. There was a time when Qing for PVP didn't mean you would end up in getting squashed by the PVP experts every single match. The community is so small now that a newcomer is almost sure to get smashed and, a good amount of the time, be introduced to the toxicity of some pvpers.

A complete overhaul of PVP? There aren't enough maps to keep a persons interest. There aren't enough players to get Gauntelgrym to pop. Since the new map, it's almost always Stardock popping. So basically 95% of matches are on the same map for me.

Drains, certain artifacts, etc have all gotten out of hand. The largest problem, is unfortunately the one you will have the biggest problem fixing. Without a deeper pool of pvpers, new players will almost certainly be turned off by the regulars. And whatever happened to level based Qs? When I started NW we used to run twink pvp. Thats not even possible anymore.

The rewards added to PVP were not bad. But not great either. I can get most of those rewards with a lot less irritation. Not to mention, it's kinda hard to rank if you're always Qing in with the same 7-9 regular PVPers that make it next to impossible to actually get a few wins.

I don't blame the regulars for winning. But it sure would be nice to have an even battleground once in awhile.

I'm going to go back to the first "new rewards" pvp season. I took part in that one a lot more frequently. I never feel my time is wasted if I'm having fun. And I feel like that first season had more people participating since the matches felt a little more even, more often. That itself made it rewarding. But there was also a time when I could get AD from PVP.

I did 1 match this past season and said forget it. Not worth the headache.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you to folks who gave additional insight into Solo Queue. From a personal perspective, I've always been hesitant to remove features once they are introduced - yes, it happens in every game but I'm likely the one in meetings with counterpoints to removal, preferring to first explore how something can be modified to make it feasible. Only after reasonable options have been exhausted am I ok moving towards a removal decision. Again, this is just my own philosophy!

@trgluestickz made a comment that has really stuck with me and I'm mulling over:

"Solo que is currently the only active PVP type right now and puts 2 different groups of players with incompatible interests in the same que as each other."

And that gets to the crux of one of the biggest issues (for me) - incompatible interests among the different existing PvP, potential PvP players, and PvE players.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

Combat that did not depend on gear or builds, just what class you choose. Is fast paced and purely based on reflexes, timing and skill. So similar to a FPS but similar to what Jedi Knight II (I think) had going many years ago.

Or team based maps where it was objective based - like what Enemy Territory brought to the FPS genre

This discussion has been closed.