test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's Just a Game... or is it?

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
edited February 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
Tyler "Ninja" Blevins tweeted, "The phrase "it’s just a game" is such a weak mindset. You are ok with what happened, losing, imperfection of a craft. When you stop getting angry after losing, you’ve lost twice. There’s always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle."

Tyler's opinions quickly sparked heated debates across the Internet on how seriously games should be taken. Tyler had this rage directed at his team, after they lost to four snipers in Fortnite. When comments suggested, he shouldn't get upset when it's "just a game," Ninja had this to say:

"If anyone ever uses the excuse 'it’s just a game' I’m gonna lose my mind! Imagine telling Lebron James, Tom Brady, that when they're pissed off after losing a game that it’s just a game. Are you kidding me? You're so stupid. It's the competitive nature, bro. It’s about respect bro, it's about pride. It’s so much bigger than a f---ing video game. And anyone that ever uses the excuse 'it's just a game' is a horrible human being, and is lazy. You're a lazy human being."

So to all the Tyler Blevins out there, I really want you to seek some therapy. Would I tell Lebron James and Tom Brady (I don't know them), "It is just a game. You are over reacting and need to cool down."? Yes, I would. I assume they are professional athletes, the only reason for not saying it to their face, would be physical harm from their current mental state. Everyone has rages, uncontrolled outburst of emotion, but apparently Tyler Blevins keeps this rage seething at all times. It is when you cannot cool down, you cannot return to this reality, then you have a serious mental break and could be at risk to yourself and others. You lost a game, it is just a game, and no one got killed for real. Professional athletes get paid win or lose, more victories do achieve their job goals, but overall the majority don't get irate and froth at the mouth about it for several days.

What are your opinions about Tyler's outrage at people saying, "It is just a game."?
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    It's just a game.

For Lebron James, Tom Brady, and the like, it isn't just a game because it's their job.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I agree with @greywynd. Ninja gets paid to play Fortknife, among other games. You can't really use him as an example when EA paid him a million dollars to promote one of their games and he's made millions streaming on Twitch. He's not a typical gamer. I don't think any Neverwinter streamer has ever made that much money from the game, nor do I think one ever will (though it would be nice to be proven wrong).
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    If you are playing a game, it is just a game for relaxation.
    If you are working for a game, it is a job for money/career/pride/.....
    If everyone is acting like Lebron James, Tom Brady, there will be no Lebron James, Tom Brady.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Even if you are being paid to play a game, a loss shouldn't cause you to continue to be angry after the game is over. In his first Twitter quote, he says you have lost twice when you stop being angry. This is not a healthy mental attitude for anyone.

Let's put some perspective on this in a more extreme job title; say a police officer is upset for not busting the "bad guy" and he stays angry about it. Next time he does a routine traffic stop, what will his attitude and anger project onto this person? We can also apply this to an executive working a white collar office job. He gets upset and blames his team for messing up a contract that cost the company money. If he maintains this anger, it projects on his whole work force and clients. This also shows poor leadership skills not shouldering some of the blame yourself.

This attitude is worsened in his next Twitter quote, calling people lazy and stupid for saying it. If I was the game company paying him to play the game, I would not be sending him money, until he checked into an anger management program. If this is who they choose to represent playing the game, they need a better spokesman.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    So why exactly are you whining about this?
  • Options
    b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    My two cents on this topic is that each human that gets pissed off just because they did not win should take a moment and instead of getting mad perhaps look at the reason why they did not win and fix that mistake to win the second time out.
    Does not matter if its a video game or a real life game. A game is just a game and each human should learn that there can only be 1 winner in a game. This means one of the two teams are going to fail and lose while that other team are going to win. Should not get upset and over react over losing at a game. I find it laughable.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    My opinion

The phrase "it’s just a game" is such a weak mindset. You are ok with what happened, losing, imperfection of a craft. When you stop getting angry after losing, you’ve lost twice. There’s always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle."

I don't know what were the exact conditions to make him said that, but the flaw is obvious : when you play, you implicitly accept the very possibility of losing.

As i read him, i think he was only angry about himself : he was hurt in his pride, but i can't be sure.
    We have two words in french : "fierté" and "orgueil", and i can't find any real proper translation for the second one (especially as in french both are considered mostly as synonyms with only few subtle différences). Arrogance maybe the closest one (same definition as french "arrogance" [because it's "our" word stolen by english :P] and not completely exactly the same as "orgueil")
    The first frenchword is the pure pride, this advantageous self-esteem you have about yourself which doesn't need or suffer comparing yourself with anyone else nor the need to prove something to someone else.
    The second frenchword is more the feeling about your personnal value being higher compared to the one of the others, kind of despising everything and everyone but yourself.
    "Fierté" is getting back on your feet, again and again, after being beaten, ready for the next rounds, to show yourself you are as worthy as you think.
    "Orgueil" is rage and seeking revenge after being beaten, because in your mind it was not conceivable to loose to who you believed being inferior ones.
    And both are quite incompatible with humility, modesty.

Is it a bad thing ? Yes and no.
    No pride = no US independance, no french revolution ?

But it's a game. Not a war. Your survival is not in danger.

In my opinion, it requires a much stronger willpower to understand "it's just a game" than to let your anger explode and flow.
    Being ok with what happened, with losing, with imperfections, is primary also respecting your opponent. If you don't, then you are not adknowledging or even denying his qualities, his strength, his skills ("he didn't win : I lost by myself") which is irredeemably some sort of blindness about the reasons of your defeat.

Being ok with defeat, is the very first step in the direction for a possible objective analytic point of vue. How can you really analyze the lost game if you are still on emotions ?

Accepting the defeat and be cool about that doesn't mean you don't have the strong desire to progress, to get better, higher, stronger.
    It's only another way, mindset, philosophy, which doesn't revolve on pride, vanity, vainglory...
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2020

We have two words in french : "fierté" and "orgueil", and i can't find any real proper translation for the second one (especially as in french both are considered mostly as synonyms with only few subtle différences). Arrogance maybe the closest one (same definition as french "arrogance" [because it's "our" word stolen by english :P] and not completely exactly the same as "orgueil")
    The first frenchword is the pure pride, this advantageous self-esteem you have about yourself which doesn't need or suffer comparing yourself with anyone else nor the need to prove something to someone else.
    The second frenchword is more the feeling about your personnal value being higher compared to the one of the others, kind of despising everything and everyone but yourself.
    "Fierté" is getting back on your feet, again and again, after being beaten, ready for the next rounds, to show yourself you are as worthy as you think.
    "Orgueil" is rage and seeking revenge after being beaten, because in your mind it was not conceivable to loose to who you believed being inferior ones.

Not commenting on the OP, but I like assisting in translations. :tongue:

@tchefi#6735 First word could be perseverance and the second word could be hubris perhaps?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

@tchefi#6735 First word could be perseverance and the second word could be hubris perhaps?

Hubris fits well for "Orgueil" ! (damn, it was already in my english vocabulary, but i wasn't able to get the word out of my memory, and googletrad didn't show it as a proposition ^^' )

Perseverance (which by the way is also a frenchword :P [though not as a stolen one as arrogance, because french is pretty much the arrogance incarnated xD) doesn't really represent the self-esteem included in the "fierté" word. Pride is the right one, if you take the positive meaning of the english word.

I guess you are trying your "speedrunning derailing a thread challenge" here ? :D
  • Options

Hubris fits well for "Orgueil" ! (damn, it was already in my english vocabulary, but i wasn't able to get the word out of my memory, and googletrad didn't show it as a proposition ^^' )

Perseverance (which by the way is also a frenchword :P [though not as a stolen one as arrogance, because french is pretty much the arrogance incarnated xD) doesn't really represent the self-esteem included in the "fierté" word. Pride is the right one, if you take the positive meaning of the english word.

I guess you are trying your "speedrunning derailing a thread challenge" here ? :D
    Closest I can think of is Tenacity, but I don't think it conveys the self esteem part. I don't think I know a good translation :(
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Closest I can think of is Tenacity, but I don't think it conveys the self esteem part. I don't think I know a good translation :(
    "Fierté" is pride (at least for it's positive definition). My sentence "fierté is getting back on your feet, again and again, after being beaten, ready for the next rounds, to show yourself you are as worthy as you think." was maybe not well choosen, as it is more a consequence of pride/fierté. "Fierté" contain a lightly embedded notion of honor. You have self-esteem, believing or knowing you have what is needed to realize something. And you try and try, failure after failure, until you succeed because you know you can do it. You don't give up because your pride makes you sure you can beat the challenge you are facing. You stand up to the challenge, no matter what will be the end result or the aftermath, but with the perfect conscience that there is a difference between 'I can win" and "I will win".
  • Options

"Fierté" is pride (at least for it's positive definition). My sentence "fierté is getting back on your feet, again and again, after being beaten, ready for the next rounds, to show yourself you are as worthy as you think." was maybe not well choosen, as it is more a consequence of pride/fierté. "Fierté" contain a lightly embedded notion of honor. You have self-esteem, believing or knowing you have what is needed to realize something. And you try and try, failure after failure, until you succeed because you know you can do it. You don't give up because your pride makes you sure you can beat the challenge you are facing. You stand up to the challenge, no matter what will be the end result or the aftermath, but with the perfect conscience that there is a difference between 'I can win" and "I will win".
    I think pride is the closest you can get to a translation then, I can't think of a better alternative.
  • Options

So why exactly are you whining about this?

Just something that popped up my Facebook, I am a big sucker for click bait. I just find it a disturbing, he is an adult public figure, sending the wrong message to younger kids playing the same game.

Meanwhile I took time to read some of the responses he got back from his "fan base" and I find these very amusing.

@DolanDark Replying to @Ninja
    Finally i can justify burning my parents house down after a tough game of Purble Place

@Froste Replying to @Ninja
    I ran away from home once cus my mom threw out my PlayStation after I launched my controller at my grandma and knocked her unconscious for 3 hours cus I got worldstared in a COD game. These people just don’t understand us, Ninj

@ModestCube Replying to @Ninja
    when i’m told “it’s just spaghetti” after losing them to the floor, i have to go punch another hole in my drywall, i can’t lose my spaghetti and also my pride

the hole in the wall will remind me there’s always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle.

@DaveRapoza Replying to @Ninja
    As a gamer myself, I couldn't agree more, fueled with my post game rage I choose to funnel that into even more rage. I've never taken a deep breath, relaxed and learned from my mistakes. I don't care if that would make me a more balanced person, people don't even talk to me.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Game is just a game untill you get paid for that, then it's become your job.

That's apply to video/pc games, streaming, making review videos, radio/internet radio/music stream, sport and everything.

When you play game and you are not paid, you can go away with line it's jut a game, you don't much pay attention of you win or lose. You just have a fun.
    But when you get paid, either you are streamer which mean you need provide entertaiment for your viewers. No one like watch dead x games character on screen all time. He need show got results.

Same goes for sport, lets say basketball, you have contract to play for x team for x sum of money. If you don't meet certain expectation, your contract may got canceled, or even if it's not canceled, if your peformance is not so great, then your value decline and when your current contract expire you may get worse one( or if get any of it). So you can't go away so simply,

Similar case when companies hire QA(tester) to check out game. You can't go simply telling oh it's just a game. You are hired and paid to find bugs, maybe even give review for that game or certain elements.
    IF you will not do your job properly, you will not get hired anymore.

So yeah, game is just a game untill moneys got involved in it :)

Also, for some game is just place to relax, for others to steam out, for some show off( try be top player).
    Through games you can see, who play to have a fun, even in competititve games, and who take game too serious, and raging in chat/voice chat.

Some simply can't accept that they are not numbero uno,.
    Good example, player got bootkick from party, then he got in rage mode, send tickets to support team and demand team memebers heads. "How dare these guys bootkick me".
    Or as other example, I suppported(paid) this game for long time, now game must treat me as VIP/special one.
    These type players thing that by spending 10 dolars/euro every months for 5 years, mean they own game. While in fact his 10 or 100 dolar is same of your would drop 1 bottle of watter in ocean. Not much of difference :pensive:
    But their ego think otherwise :P
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    The reality of it is Neverwinter IS just a game for most of us playing it... but human nature being what it is there are people who are more competitive than others, some more committed to the game than others ( hard core grinders) and others who are more inclined to play with a certain level of indifference (casual players). Everyone plays the game for their on reasons and no playstyle is any more correct or proper than another regardless of how much time or effort a player chooses to spend on the game.

People make choices playing Neverwinter and those choices are freely made, no one is forced to run random queues, grind for special gear or commit to the game any more time than they want. The thing that humors me are the players who think they deserve special consideration because of how long they've been playing, how high their character/gear/item levels are or because of how much time they commit to playing the game.

And anyone who says differently is just blowing smoke.
    DD~
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Ninja's comments have to be viewed through the context of self-interest.

His statements are just manipulative bs aimed towards the target demographic of his clients (the advertisers who pay him to play).

I read where he makes upwards of $500,000 / month doing what he does. If I had that kind of income I'd be willing to say some pretty crazy s**t too if it meant keeping the gravy train running.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Found this on a Discord server I frequent, thought you guys might get a kick out of complaining about the "Fortknife kids these days".

• Options

Ninja's comments have to be viewed through the context of self-interest.

His statements are just manipulative bs aimed towards the target demographic of his clients (the advertisers who pay him to play).

I read where he makes upwards of $500,000 / month doing what he does. If I had that kind of income I'd be willing to say some pretty crazy s**t too if it meant keeping the gravy train running.

If I got $500,000 a month, I would quit working after 2 months.
    ok... 3 months

wb-cenders.gif