test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to add the fun back to the game's combat system

2»

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    If cryptic wasn't going to listen to the thousands that left the game, they will not listen to the few dozen of you that are left that are discontented with what remains, they simply will not care that much.

Look at these forums, they have been basically dead , well like almost forever, but now they are even more dead..

I am waiting on a few projects coming out this year to see if anything sticks for me personally, I still miss the neverwinter i enjoyed, but frankly the neverwinter I most enjoyed was probably pre mod 10.. , but in reality probably like mod 2 backwards.. when things were really fun.. even pvp was really fun back then.

As they added more to the game, they lost control of alot of things, mod 16, was I guess an attempt to get some of that control back, but frankly, it didn't work for me personally, it did work for some.

The whole.. lets jack up enchants every 6 months, nerf things people bought, (sometimes even while they were buying them) ect... just left me empty about the game as a whole.

Putting "challenge" back into ancient years old content that I already ran 1k times.. didn't do anything for me either.. or the super slow pace of everything..

Whatever..
  • devilxjkdevilxjk Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    i prefear mod 16+ to old 15(1 shot - 1 boss kill, skipping all mechanics isn't fun from my point of view)

dungeon with mod 15 was only for meta setup.
    now every dps /tank/heal geared is welcome

the old 15 was totaly broken
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    The game is still fun for me and for a lot of my friends, we are looking forward to the new class, “big surprises”, and Trial (contents). There are some down time between new mods but we take those time to help players catch up and grind for ADs.

I do think the game need to get rid of scaling or adjust it further. It is not good for new players and the rewards from top 3 hardest dungeons/trials should be further improve on, especially IC.

I’ve seen a lot of friends leaving the game but not because the game got less fun. It is because of personal reasons or they need to move on.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I think your suggestions are too dramatic. Speed would be bumping up and down constantly, causing erratic and unpredictable combat. Like you said.. some of your suggestions would cause a total rebalance. Here is an idea that could aid the plight without too much chaos:

Create a craftable reinforcement that can be applied to shirts and pants... with the following versions:

1) +5% speed boost
    2) +3% faster encounter recovery speed
    3) +4% faster AP gain
    4) +7% extra control
    5) +4% extra control resistance
    6) +5% faster health regeneration (when out of combat)

This would add to the crafting system and provide tools for more character variance.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I really dont notice much difference in combat now from years ago, but I agree that movement speed buffs as feats and powers would be great.

Movement speed buffs as enchantments deserved deletion.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    gradii said:

I really dont notice much difference in combat now from years ago

I was just about to dispute this, but you're probably right. Years ago, we didn't have quite the breakneck pace of combat that developed in more recent mods, where Dailies became Encounters and most classes barely had time to touch At-Wills if they were built to take advantage of available cooldown reduction bonuses.

My opinion is that M16 was not a horrible tragedy. The shift towards more measured gameplay with more consequences for skillful use of abilities was a good one considering that the pace of combat in M15 was totally out of control.

However, some ability cooldowns are simply too long IMO. The shift to M16 may have weeded out some of the trash, but we still have a number of abilities that are almost never used because they are often both completely inferior and taking forever to come off of cooldown. E.g. Wizard is a strangely slow-paced AoE combatant considering that they have four encounter slots, thanks to a lack of powerful AoE options and an abundance of really long cooldown timers.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Yeah for instance, Geas on Cleric, as a damage ability its got great damage but the cooldown is so long the dps is low, and the debuff lasts for 6 seconds only... so not worth it.