test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning player

kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
I have now tried to return to this game twice over the past year. The last time I was a steady player was when the profession system turned into a cool fun shop to manage. I think Acquisition Inc had just released as well. I typically had been on and off with the game yearly usually around winter/summer festival. My issue is that everytime I return to the game now I spend about 30 minutes trying to figure out my characters changes, all the completely new systems reading tons of specific text related to various boons, powers, feats, and other things. Then I realize I'm completely lost have no idea where to go and I need to level 10 levels even. So I just quit the game for a second time, not even 30 minutes logged in. You guys have killed your game. Returning players have absolutely zero tutorial access or a way to catch up. We're just lost in tons of things to fix. I equate this change to your game with what Starwars Galaxies did with their combat system revamp. Its just too much shock to the system. My only thought is that you possibly need to create a new tutorial for returning players, specifically ones that are levle 70, and make it a strong suggestion popup window that they enter this tutorial where it verbally and visually shows you the changes to whatever class they are logged into and the companion/boon system changes or whatever else I never got to thats also massively overhauled.

Comments

• oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    @cwhitesidedev#9752 on the off chance you didn't see this.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Go to Sgt Knox in PE and see what quests there are? Returning players are rare. I much rather see development resource go towards addressing issues affecting current players, not to features to hand-hold the rare returning player. The game has already been significantly dumbed-down already.
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    This game is the wife now ,they have a side chick now ,new and better.
    They gave everything that was good in this game to the new game -Magic Legends.
    Thats why I stop playing and sit and wait .
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    The short answer is: this is a new game. Even for those who have stayed, it took a while more than 30 minutes to figure the basic out just enough to play (and then much more tuning later). You need to treat this as a new game and more or less learn from scratch.

Returning player needs to treat this as a new game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    One should view it as a neverwinter 2.0 or reboot. Because from how it was to now that really is how it is. Then again a game should evolve and become something new at some point.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @kitkathd I think you know this game had its ups and downs. Several players complained about the massive amount of change to the game, before the module went live. My list was pretty much as follows about module 16;

It was rushed out the door. This was done to prevent impatient players from leaving the game. I felt they slapped too many bandages on it at the last minute to say otherwise.
    All classes became too generic. You can go back through my comment history. I pointed out they put zero thought into the game mechanics and how removing feats was making many classes have no decision on what powers they equipped. The five A/B switches in feats still limits the variety to 32 flavors. It could have been 5 A/B/C switches (243 possible combinations) and made the builds that much better.
    Most companions fail to function. This has the effect of most players using augments. I say most of the companions, because I have found the best companions to use are the ones with fast return on their abilities. Zhentarim Warlock has a weak shot but she hits every second and then her power shot does major damages.

As it stands now, we just have to wait to see what path they take us down next.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User

The short answer is: this is a new game. Even for those who have stayed, it took a while more than 30 minutes to figure the basic out just enough to play (and then much more tuning later). You need to treat this as a new game and more or less learn from scratch.

A new game has a tutorial. Furthermore returning players have their characters designed around a specific way and not even a respec is going to fix their enchantments being wrong or their gear choices being wrong and then don't even get me started with the fact that I have zero guidance on where to go. Sgt Knox just directs me to the newest module which I'm not decent enough geared for. I'm sorry but you can't change so many systems and expect player retention like this. I could see maybe giving all accounts older than the new system a free character slot so that they can replay from level 1 and try the new tutorial. I'm assuming there is a new tutorial otherwise this game really is broken. I'm expected to read months worth of patch notes and watch a few youtube videos done by community members just to get an idea where to go and what to do and how to setup each of my 7 characters. This seems broken and I suspect this game is an afterthought now. I honestly kinda wanna play Baldur's Gate 3 more anyway. This games not DnD its just forgotten realms themed quick time events.
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    On this question if knox can not tell you where to go then my advice is to look at the camp and see what is done and what is not done. I would not head right to the new area and not be ready for it. If you have not done the undermoutain then I suggest you start there.
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I posted a lengthy post asking for a reduction of the 'friction' after MOD16 dropped. I wish I could say that anything's happened. :/
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    @kitkathd said:

A new game has a tutorial. Furthermore returning players have their characters designed around a specific way and not even a respec is going to fix their enchantments being wrong or their gear choices being wrong and then don't even get me started with the fact that I have zero guidance on where to go. Sgt Knox just directs me to the newest module which I'm not decent enough geared for. I'm sorry but you can't change so many systems and expect player retention like this. I could see maybe giving all accounts older than the new system a free character slot so that they can replay from level 1 and try the new tutorial. I'm assuming there is a new tutorial otherwise this game really is broken. I'm expected to read months worth of patch notes and watch a few youtube videos done by community members just to get an idea where to go and what to do and how to setup each of my 7 characters. This seems broken and I suspect this game is an afterthought now. I honestly kinda wanna play Baldur's Gate 3 more anyway. This games not DnD its just forgotten realms themed quick time events.
    If by the latest mod, you mean Avernus, then yes you are not ready for that. However Sgt. Knox should also have given you a quest to go to the Moonstone mask, for the Undermountain campaign. At the beginning of that quest you will get a full set of gear (including rnak 8 enchantments)that will make almost any previous content survivable, and will get you thru the start of undermountain. That campaign will give you better gear as you work through it. Also, a few run through the random queue dungeons will give you enough AD to buy upgraded gear as you approach level 80. Search for Deteriorating, Gambler's, Wretched, Sentinel, Martyr's, Blackened Jaw, and Red Feather. You should focus your professions on jewelcrafting to make Rings, so you can avoid spending 10k -20k Ad a piece on them, but if you have the AD, then the Undermountain dungeon's rings can be bought at epic quality for as low as 30k.
    Post edited by wintersmoke on