test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Huh? Is crit sev capped?

essohbe#3114 essohbe Member Posts: 173 Arc User
So... lol.... back to trying to figure out DC class....
People tell me crit sev has a cap? And apparently if I go over that then it works against your outgoing heals?
I got outhealed by some 18k cleric in RTQ with 6% outgoing heals. (I have 50%+ and all leg comps, r13 vorpal)

I think my batteries are low? I tired the up,down,up,down,left,right,left,right,A,B,A,B,start code also.

Comments

• carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    No, critical severity does not have a cap, and it certainly does not work against your outgoing heal.

"I got outhealed by some 18k cleric"... do you mean this 18k Cleric was higher than you on the "Field Medic" chart? If that is what you mean, let me tell you a "little secret": Clerics can easily "cheat" on this chart by using Healing Word. Think of it as the Healer version of "running ahead to get a better score on Paingiver". You should try it: cast Healing Word, keep it fresh using bastion and that feat, and you will see insane numbers on Field Medic chart without even trying, specially on RTQ. Also, "Field Medic" only tracks HP restored, not the full heal amount, so someone who heals first will have a bigger score.
  • bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I am not even halfway knowledgeable about DCs, but: Could this be an issue with you getting scaled down to 18k and the other healer not being scaled?

If you are scaled and he is not, then he could easily outperform you, imo.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    Also, there is a crit/power ratio in the play.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User

I got outhealed by some 18k cleric in RTQ with 6% outgoing heals. (I have 50%+ and all leg comps, r13 vorpal)

That's no issue. The other Cleric is just better / faster at refilling HP. If he uses intercession on the tank at the right time that's 400k. If he uses Bastion immediately after an AoE attack that's up to 200k times the amount of players. Lag, teams splitting up, squishy tank...

Other then maybe predicting enemy attacks better (but with healing word up and a second healer you don't really need to most of the time) I don't see an issue with scoring a bit lower on field medic. There's only so much HPs to heal.

More crit will help of course.

Here's the kicker, I use healing word lol. I suck!
    So the cheat code doesn't do anything?
    How about the warp whistle?

Depends if the other Cleric used it as well.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    crit severity does have diminishing returns ... around 130% ish
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

" diminishing returns is the decrease in the marginal output of a production process as the amount of a single factor of production is incrementally increased, while the amounts of all other factors of production stay constant"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

"Has not other diminishing returns except the relative increase, also relative increase will always happen and not after some magic number."

https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/severity

so nope, crit severity does not have a diminishing return. It has a declining effectiveness based on the fact there is a cap to crit chance. and is preferable up to a point only until it becomes out performed by other offensive stats. There are no diminishing returns in the current damage formula. Diminishing returns were removed from the game when we moved to the current counter stat system
    edited February 2020
    putzboy78 said:

kalina311 said:

" diminishing returns is the decrease in the marginal output of a production process as the amount of a single factor of production is incrementally increased, while the amounts of all other factors of production stay constant"

"Has not other diminishing returns except the relative increase, also relative increase will always happen and not after some magic number."

so nope, crit severity does not have a diminishing return. It has a declining effectiveness based on the fact there is a cap to crit chance. and is preferable up to a point only until it becomes out performed by other offensive stats. There are no diminishing returns in the current damage formula. Diminishing returns were removed from the game when we moved to the current counter stat system
    so does it have "declining effectiveness" then at around 130%? I am surprised you did not post the graph nor refute that number

most users will still know what i meant without referencing the Wikipedia fyi thanks for your input tho :P
    it was very helpful in establishing what the true number is for the non technical readers

"and is preferable up to a point " so at what point is that?? ..
    what is a reasonable achievable number for crit severity

thanks for keeping the thread positive and informative
    Post edited by kalina311 on
    edited February 2020
    @putzboy78
    so what is the diminishing return / declining effectiveness to combat advantage stat then ..."according to you" ?
    for a dps Cleric
  • apollo#5199 apollo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Now for the fun part. Check his/hers summoned companion and check yours. Spot the difference :)
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

putzboy78 said:

kalina311 said:

so does it have "declining effectiveness" then at around 130%? I am surprised you did not post the graph nor refute that number

most users will still know what i meant without referencing the Wikipedia fyi thanks for your input tho :P
    it was very helpful in establishing what the true number is for the non technical readers

"and is preferable up to a point " so at what point is that?? ..
    what is a reasonable achievable number for crit severity

thanks for keeping the thread positive and informative
    declining effectivness doesnt magically start at 130% its always there unless u have 0% critical severity
    edited February 2020
    lets start by adding up all the sources of critical severity in the game .....

boons / companions(some expensive too ) / potions /class based boosts/ cubes of augmentation of the offhand weapons gives cirt severity as an option .. ..vorpal etc ..putting points in dex increases crit severity too .. a reasonable target adding all those together is around 130%// maybe a little more for classs that rely on dex as thier prime/secondary stat

thats what i mean by diminishing effectiveness /diminishing return .// at least players have a reasonable number to shoot for is what i am saying ..without breaking the bank
    kalina311 said:

boons / companions(some expensive too ) / potions /class based boosts/ cubes of augmentation of the offhand weapons gives cirt severity as an option .. ..vorpal etc .. a reasonable target adding all those together is around 130%//

thats what i mean by diminishing effectiveness /diminishing return .// at least players have a reasonable number to shoot for is what i am saying ..without breaking the bank

well, then stop using the term diminishing return/effectivness, since you are missleading people into thinking that there are actual diminishing returns. Its good to get as much critical severity as u can, and if u have to give up other stats for it, and its so close that u cant simply calculate it in your head, there is for example rainers charakter builder, which calculates for you what gives u more dps increase.
    edited February 2020
    @tom "declining effectiveness" was not my term FYI it was putzboy78 's term that he so gratiosly corrected me on .. perhaps he is misleading people too then by your logic .maybe you want to read the entire thread ..

see his quote ...

"so nope, crit severity does not have a diminishing return. It has a declining effectiveness based on the fact there is a cap to crit chance. and is preferable up to a point only until it becomes out performed by other offensive stats. There are no diminishing returns in the current damage formula. Diminishing returns were removed from the game when we moved to the current counter stat system

if you feel the term " declining effectiveness" is in error maybe you can debate putzboy78 and direct your posts over there now as to which term should be used
    Post edited by kalina311 on
    edited February 2020
    kalina311 said:

@tom "declining effectiveness" was not my term FYI it was putzboy78 's term that he so gratiosly corrected me on .. perhaps he is misleading people too then by your logic .maybe you want to read the entire thread ..

see his quote ...

"so nope, crit severity does not have a diminishing return. It has a declining effectiveness based on the fact there is a cap to crit chance. and is preferable up to a point only until it becomes out performed by other offensive stats. There are no diminishing returns in the current damage formula. Diminishing returns were removed from the game when we moved to the current counter stat system

if you feel the term " declining effectiveness" is in error maybe you can debate putzboy78 and direct your posts over there now as to which term should be used

the difference is, putzboy78 rightly stated, that there isnt diminishing return, but that it has diminishing effectivness due to the nature of beeing additive. Now you go around and post arbitrary numbers, like 130%, which lead to players thinking that there is some inbuilt mechanic that makes crit severity worse at that point, or helps the myth that there is a cap, which apparently is still around...

Just say, "130% is what u think is easily reachable, or good to strife for" or whatever, without the diminishing part, then ppl wont get the wrong idea.

Edit: maybe i came off as rude, if so that wasnt my intention. Im just frustrated to still see some ppl put out missleading information.
    Post edited by tom#6998 on
    kalina311 said:

@putzboy78
    so what is the diminishing return / declining effectiveness to combat advantage stat then ..."according to you" ?
    for a dps Cleric

depends :), heals doesn't benefit from combat advantage therefore 0 if your a healer

For DPS its calculated the same as any other dps class and can be reviewed via Janne's damage formula:

https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/formulas

Now I would argue that the "effectiveness of a dps cleric using combat advantage is lower than most other classes because clerics have an uncanny ability to pull agro. Making positioning a bit more challenging but not insurmountable as long as the party is positioning around the target.

Also combat advantage is near useless in solo content and near useless on the first few strikes on targets because positioning hasn't been established yet (making combat advantage near useless in the trash clearing parts of dungeons, especially in hdps groups that melt mobs quickly).

Because we now use a system of counter stats the "sweet spot" moves every mod but also depends on the enemy your facing. So if you don't intend to run TOMM/Infernal Citadel and just stick to REDQ/RTQ you don't need to stack over 118k combat advantage. If your running Infernal Citadel then your looking at 135k. So why not just stack 135k combat advantage for everything? Well because you could leaving 17k useless extra stat on the table which could be another 5.1-6.8% damage.
    kalina311 said:

boons / companions(some expensive too ) / potions /class based boosts/ cubes of augmentation of the offhand weapons gives cirt severity as an option .. ..vorpal etc ..putting points in dex increases crit severity too .. a reasonable target adding all those together is around 130%// maybe a little more for classs that rely on dex as thier prime/secondary stat

Where the discussion could really get interesting is considering what the AD per % damage gained comes in. Because that's where the discussion is going and a part of the argument about P2W. I personally wouldn't define BIS as required to "win" in PVE. Where winning would more easily be defined as competency in the most elite content which doesn't necessarily require BIS. So you can actually avoid dropping millions of AD to get 1% damage increase and focus on the highest return investments that get you to competency. Much like the rainer video on how to build a starting character for 50k AD, that's a much more interesting discussion as you are talking about optimization at a given price point or priorities development objectives.

Another area of interesting analysis could be at what stat points does the stat priority on offensive stats change. Currently the stat priority is armor pen, accuracy, critical strike, combat advantage up their caps and then power. However, power doesn't have a counter stat mechanic so at some theoretical point it could actually outperform the other stats. Of course cryptic tries to use the "combined rating" on gear to force players to at least reach the minimum counter stat to avoid this issue. Which makes the argument mostly theoretical.

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    1-) Be sure that the scaling didnt hitted only you, if makes a big diference in dps so probably in healing to

1-) Some sources of outgoing healing dont show in the menu (or at least one Tiamat set so there are probably more)

3-) You have to see the power/crit rate you have (when healing the conter stat for your heals crit is your power, you need to see if your "crit chance" x "power" % are ok, if not you will crit less and of course fall back in healer score

4-) for DPS overkill has a big effect in paingiver chart, so i belive "overhealing" also impact that counter, so keep in mind healing first will heal more, all overheal will be wasted...

one last thing, i giveup in the stats counter on this game, you could install a tracker to really see whats happening or chose a testplace, mines are ESOT solo for dps and LOMM bosses for healer (i play paladin); try to do get a fixed party for a few test runs and see what hapens after the changes, for me work better than looking at the stats in RTQ or REDQ...

Keep in mind, in the end the best healer is the one that keep everyone alive and not the one with big scores...

hope it helps good luck...
    edited February 2020
    or use ACT or janne's overlay
    Post edited by putzboy78 on
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    @micky1p00

oops, thanks Janne :)