test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Professions

armunn1armunn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited February 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like help from the community as to decide which profession would be most helpful and/or profitable for a tank class.
Thx in advance for any help

Comments

• Options
    b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    After I did the struggle and after i wasted all the time on professions I feel they are really not as profitable as they was months back. I would say perhaps one can make use of Alchemy profession due to the healing potions and the other type potions one can craft from them. However I still feel as if professions took a back seat and have not yet moved forward. Meaning all professions are not profitable and could be a waste of your time to level up. However some could be useful.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    Level up takes time. If you are serious about profession (Cryptic is supposed to "upgrade" profession this year), you need to do all. Doing one or two do not really cut it. Yes, a lot of work and take a lot of time. Hence, it is a long term commitment. And, this "down" time is the best time to level up.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    What was said there is true. Each profession for whatever reason works off another profession for whatever reason that again works off another. So ya its better to do them all at the same time.
    I would comment on masterwork but I am still a bit sad over the fact of what they did and wasted my time and AD so I wont comment.
  • Options
    I have been doing my little catch up "forever" project with one prime directive: doing masterwork without spending any AD. I know spending AD will be faster and may even be cheaper. However, I want to do my mission impossible. So far, all profession of one toon reached MW3. Still long way to go and nothing to show for.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It will br very trying to obtain the mats you'll need from MSP and FBI without spending AD.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pitshade said:

It will br very trying to obtain the mats you'll need from MSP and FBI without spending AD.

I guess I have not reached that yet. :(
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    armunn1 said:

I would like help from the community as to decide which profession would be most helpful and/or profitable for a tank class.
    Thx in advance for any help

All of them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I can not see anything in professions which is useful for a specific class. There were a lot of items introduced with Mod 15 that were not BiS but were very usable but they were trashed in mod 16. We will see in the autumn whether class useful items are restored but they are likely to be MW V. Getting to MW V is a lot harder than just farming the latest zone for the gear (particularly in Mod 16, 17 and 18 which focus on gear farming). If you are levelling your tank there may be some stuff in there which might help but my experience is that the stuff you find in the quest zones is equal or better and you will level your character much faster than you level your professions. That leaves class specific items as possible costume library items and weapon transmutes. There is still some value in non class specific items like potions, as mentioned above. Also stronghold furnishings if you are in a guild. You can make AD on the AH from crafting materials that others are using in MW levelling and any desirable consumable items that require crafted ingredients. People will pay for short cuts. But I assume from your wording that you want to craft to help your tank rather than craft to make AD.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    The M15 revolution in professions was supposed to level the field, but all it did was to remove any directly profitable actions from this part of game.
    You have to go through all the investment with a vision that in the very long run you might eventually make some profit. That sounds like an activity for times you are already swimming in the game currencies and are too bored by the rest of the game content.

Seriously, skip it. (for now)

It requires massive investment that do not offer an adequate pay off. (well, that is a slight lie, I think there is a possibility to turn a massive time investment into slight gold profit...)

Of course, once per 5 or so mods the professions might be competitive with concurrent drop items - so the prices sky-rocket, but we are in the void now. (Beware, when professions hungry times come, both your required investments and competition rise as well. Furthermore, selling your stuff requires VIP, otherwise you cannot match prices of competitors who have it.)

And if you consider making your own potions... those are not sold with too much of margin. So, you are weighing all the hassle and investment on one side - versus slightly higher price per piece.
  • Options
    jaggid#6299 jaggid Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I started playing after a few years away from the game this past January and have been doing all of the professions. At this point I have them all at level 80, but haven't done any masterwork crafting yet.

Alchemy has proven the most 'useful" of the professions, in terms of things that I actually use. And Jewelcrafting is what I blow daily morale loads on when I need gold by just vendoring what I make (I buy materials for cash, make brass rings, and sell them to a vendor).

None of them are particularly great for making AD with, though both Alchemy and blacksmithing have turned steady profits when I bother to make stuff to sell. The +1 versions of the level 80 belts, jewelry and shirts/pants also consistently sell for halfway decent AD. Not really so much AD that I bother to to try to capitalize on it though, which is probably why they sell consistently; because everyone sees it the same as me (i.e. I'll do it once in a while, but not often...ergo, supply is not glutted).

And all of the professions have been decent for gear when leveling and for filling in gear gaps on my level 80 alts which do not get much love when it comes to doing things that get them gear, and get no love at all when it comes to spending AD on them. Only my main isn't using at least some crafted gear.

Long story short, I agree with all the folks who have said it's not really worth it to craft if you're after gear or AD. Decent for filling the coffers with some gold though, and that's what I use my morale for most days.
  • Options
    armunn1armunn1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Thx for the advice everyone.
  • Options
    Knowing that now fbi and msp are a bit easier to get thru I would stack up on those mats when they drop. If and when you hit masterwork ya your going to really need those. However I still say its not profitable either way. Cost more to get a profession up then what one can use that profession to get AD back.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    b4t1b4t said:

Knowing that now fbi and msp are a bit easier to get thru I would stack up on those mats when they drop. If and when you hit masterwork ya your going to really need those. However I still say its not profitable either way. Cost more to get a profession up then what one can use that profession to get AD back.

I spend 5% of my daily dungeon run on Auction House trash to sell for gold. That gives me more than enuff to cover my Workshop fees.
  • Options
    hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Since Mod 15 the paradyne has shifted. The player does *not* choose the profession/Artisan but rather is victim to the random artisan generator ... and gets whatever RNG gives them. That being said, now would be a good time to level all your professions because you can make the materials you will need for Neverwinter Siege event and get lots of Guild Marks from the Stronghold cases/vouchers you can purchase with the Defense Supplies you make.

As a tank, you will be needing Armorsmithing and Blacksmithing (for tools), but as others have said, they are all interlinked. You might find the entire experience more enjoyable if you ignore the AH and just make equipment/resources for yourself and your alts. The 'new' level 72 and 80 gear introduced a few months ago is better than the Vistani/Undermountain and Spy's Guild equipment. Unfortunately, that is a role that MW 4/5 equipment was to play but the devs chose to ignore Masterworks because they had to put 'something' on the level 70-80 recipe list (and level 30-50 Hunter/Ranger gear would be unthinkable). All Legendary tools added to lockboxes to nullify MW tools were trumped by the new Cobalt tools as well.

Gosh I miss Mod 14.
  • Options
    Either way you look at it any profession in the game just does not really come close to as profitable as it once was. For the person asking about professions I will add that you can always simply ignore masterwork and focus only on leveling each profession to its max level and just never really get into the entire masterwork part of professions. Still yet if you do take on that part of a profession consider reading more about it. Sure right now it would be cheap and easy compared to how it was back in mod 14 but still when looking at things you must craft to complete task for a masterwork quest rng plays a factor. Some times you may fail and that means wasted resources. Also must add that masterwork does require a guild hall of a specific rank to actually get masterwork fully maxed. I personally would read all I could and then decide if it is worth your time.
    Me personally I did my professions and masterwork fully on 1 toon but I would never think about doing it a second time on another toon. Just is not worth the time.
  • Options
    melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I have 3 toons with all professions at level 80 and 5 toons with gathering, alchemy and jewelcrafting at level 80 and no masterwork on any. so far I have been using the alchemy and jewelcrafting professions as a way to support my guild, alliance and non-active toons by using gathering, jewelcrafting and alchemy. I have 8 toons with level 3 workshops and an extra toon with a level 2 workshop.

when needed my first toon cranks out 100+ AD crates per day and uses jewelcrafting to make extra RP as all my toons still need that and I use alchemy to make an extra 10+ gold per day to help cover the costs of doing this so I can do it for longer.
    I am currently doing that now with the intent of maxing out the AD resource of my guild.

for the guild:
    my professions resource is always full as I always have plenty of woodlilly and spring water to use.
    my gems resource always gets something as I use the regular pearls that drop in the game for that and when that is maxed out I just give to whichever guild is in the red or has the least.
    my gold resource is always at max and I am usually able to make sure it is always green for everyone else.

my other two toons are currently just gathering/overstocking stuff so that I can start making a lot of cobalt alembics as at some point I believe I will need one or two for all of them. with them I just do the alchemy thing for the extra gold for the same reason.

my other 5 toons are currently either cranking out beeswax +1 or pearls +1 to help speed things along.
    while at the same time I am collecting mudstone and slowly making mudstone slates so that I can start doing the same thing with sapphires instead. Also, they are all capable of cranking out Myrrh +1 for when I am ready to improve all the workshops to level 4.

My extra toon is mostly just cranking out the beeswax +1 to improve the workshop to level 3 and gathering whatever minor resource I decide I need for the others.

most of the stuff I actually make or gather sells on AH pretty quick but I only do that when I have to much of something or I just need to get rid of stuff I no longer use. whatever doesn't sell the first time around gets sold to the vendor or deleted.

All my toons sit at 100+ gold all the time because I used my extra toon to unequip all enchantments and runestones all at once and at the time the total cost came to about 70 gold to do it.