test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any way to increase stats other than the bonuses you get when you hit certain levels?

eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
Really would like to increase my strength for my paladin. 8? Really? He's the front line. He should have a real good strength :(
I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    If your paladin is supposed to be a tank, he needs CON more than STR.
    On the other hand, the attributes are not that important now. What you care should be individual stat such as HP, Defense, ...
    Since you are new, you don't really care any of these until you re-spec it in level 70 to 80.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    A tank gets the attention. He is not the main damage dealer.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

Really would like to increase my strength for my paladin. 8? Really? He's the front line. He should have a real good strength :(

Yeah pretty much the Devs don't understand what makes D&D great. They basically rendered attribute points obsolete so even though you have 8 strength its not much different than another character that has 20 strength.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, its just how it is current. Shameful and disappointing. So don't worry too much about it and instead focus on the attributes that actually help you do what the class is "meant" to do. Paladin actually benefit more by higher base health than having high strength.

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Yeah pretty much the Devs don't understand what makes D&D great. They basically rendered attribute points obsolete so even though you have 8 strength its not much different than another character that has 20 strength.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, its just how it is current. Shameful and disappointing. So don't worry too much about it and instead focus on the attributes that actually help you do what the class is "meant" to do. Paladin actually benefit more by higher base health than having high strength.

This quoted for the truth.
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    And since no one else pointed it out to you, a paladins damage bonus comes from INT, not STR.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    The question was, "Is there any way to increase stats other than the bonuses you get when you hit certain levels?"

The answer is a definite yes. There is artifact gear that will give you +1 to +4 to your stats. For example Belt of Wisdom is an old one, newer ones can be found such as Trobriand's Conduction Cable and the Mirror-Plated Belt only pump up 2 stats for +2. To up your Strength stat, Girdle of Strength is +4 at orange rank. I just checked and the Greater Girdle of Strength at purple rank gives you +3, saving you all that refinement and you can get it for 8,000 to 9,000 AD in the Auction House.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • jaggid#6299 jaggid Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    For healing you want WIS and DEX, for Tanking you want INT and CON, I'm pretty sure. For a SOLO healing dps build, you want INT and DEX.
    CON is semi-useful for all 3, as it helps with how much you can block.
    Strength, on the other hand, is not all that important for a paladin....pretty sure no good paladin in the game adds level up attribute points to it and if you have, you want to redo that.
  • jaggid#6299 jaggid Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Ooops, double post.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Owlbear_Leather_Belt_of_Intelligence

Here is a link to an item that boosts INT score. In game you can hit CTRL + J to open up the collections page. Under artifacts you can see what other bonuses are available
  • eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    kharkov58 said:

And since no one else pointed it out to you, a paladins damage bonus comes from INT, not STR.

So even if I'm a paladin, barbarian or fighter (or any class really) strength means nothing? My damage will come from intelligence instead? I can see that as a mage but ALL classes even melee?

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited February 2020

kharkov58 said:

So even if I'm a paladin, barbarian or fighter (or any class really) strength means nothing? My damage will come from intelligence instead? I can see that as a mage but ALL classes even melee?

Each "+1" in strenth gives you a .25% damage bonus. This means a strength of 28 gives you a 7% damage bonus. While this is good to have, you need to put it in perspective of stats.

If your character has 0 power, it deals 100% damage (just normal)
    If your character has 7,000 power, it deals 7% extra damage. (107% total)
    If your character has 150,000 power, it deals 150% extra damage (250% total)

On top of this.. if you deal a crit and have 100% crit severity it doubles total damage
    On top of this... if you have 100,000 combat advantage and gain advantage.. it doubles total damage

In the end... the 7% damage bonus from strength is a side note, not a priority.
    No, strength only gives damage bonus to physical damage. Paladins do radiant damage. Check your powers. Radiant damage is magical damage. Magical damage is increased by INT.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Are we talking here about a tank Paladin or a Hybrid semi tank/dps build.

In case of a Hybrid I would go for INT and CHA, but be aware that you might start getting issues in endgame content with this setup.
    Since I am an old school player and have the opinion that a tank should stick to his/her role for tanking purposes (read aggro management and survivalbillity) I go for STR and CHA.
    My reasoning is the extra HP which comes from CHA, and the extra Stamina regen which comes from STR.. especially the Stamina part wil become increasingly important in cases where frequently massive incoming damage needs to absorbed (ToMM and TIC)

sincerely, an old dwarf
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
    WOW they have totally screwed with the abilities. Str = stamina regen? Shouldn't it be Con that does that?
    Extra HP are also from Cha and ,again, not Con?
    Paladins & clerics want Int not Wis.
    Str doesn't really matter for damage.
    What the heck are these devs thinking? Have they ever played D&D? Some of the racial bonuses don't make sense either. A 1/2-orc get Dex and a choice of Str or Con? Last I knew they started with Con not Dex.
    Oh well, guess I'll just have to play and imagine it ISN'T a D&D game so I don't feel so bad :(
    Forgot to mention, I've ditched the paladin and am playing a barbarian, s ranger, and a rogue on and off.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    I need to correct my post. my apollogize
    STR (Physical damage boost and Stamina regen)
    CON (HP and AP regen)

I made mistake on the CON part
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User

WOW they have totally screwed with the abilities. Str = stamina regen? Shouldn't it be Con that does that?
    Extra HP are also from Cha and ,again, not Con?
    Paladins & clerics want Int not Wis.
    Str doesn't really matter for damage.
    What the heck are these devs thinking? Have they ever played D&D? Some of the racial bonuses don't make sense either. A 1/2-orc get Dex and a choice of Str or Con? Last I knew they started with Con not Dex.
    Oh well, guess I'll just have to play and imagine it ISN'T a D&D game so I don't feel so bad :(

I agree completely. They were all changed recently to devalu their affect on overall player performance. In the rushed process, I think they did what they did in order to make each stat approximately "equal" in value, rather than logical.
    I have checked all the powers for Justicar Paladin and every one that deals damage deals radiant damage. I assume healer paladin is the same. So Paladins get zero damage bonus from strength.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Yes they totally screwed with abilities. A couple mods ago I guess the goal was "we don't want some players doing 500 times more damage than other players" and also "we want people to be more focused on gear and companions than their character". So they did a "New Neverwinter - everyone is unique but also exactly the same" re-write where you no longer got to choose your starting stats (everyone gets the same start, + those 2 attributes you can add), character attributes (STR, DEX etc.) were nerfed into oblivion (+1 stat point gives you like one quarter of one percent improvement), and everyone was scaled to the same level for the same content. They also removed most of the feats and abilities you could use to customize your character.

So much for the entire basis of D&D being "make your own character, your own way, and play it your way".

Then a mod or two later they decided companions were too powerful also and nerfed the hell out of those, so now it's pretty much just all about your gear.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

Then a mod or two later they decided companions were too powerful also and nerfed the hell out of those, so now it's pretty much just all about your gear.

Gear yes sort of. I say about 75% of your characters ability come from bonding stones and companion gear. Try running content without bondings and you'll notice a massive difference in performance. It's such a huge focus yet new players aren't even aware of them or how important they are. I've been in random queues where we asked a new player what rank bondings they had and their response was, "What are bondings?" They were in lomm. This should NEVER occur. Yet it did.

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Gear yes sort of. I say about 75% of your characters ability come from bonding stones and companion gear. Try running content without bondings and you'll notice a massive difference in performance. It's such a huge focus yet new players aren't even aware of them or how important they are. I've been in random queues where we asked a new player what rank bondings they had and their response was, "What are bondings?" They were in lomm. This should NEVER occur. Yet it did.

Wow. Just wow. A player in LOMM with no Bondings or no idea of them? That's just plain wrong and bad. Not th eplayers fault, but something is not right.

Reminds me of running with new players who had no enchants a couple of years ago. I gave one a bunch of rank 5s and hes "woah thanks! Where do I get these from?" etc.

Ok so I'd like to try a paladin again because I really enjoy them in P&P. I'm curious though about stats. If I make a dragonborn it says to start with the +2 in Dex and Wis? Why not Int? Your telling me I want Int but the character generation says Wis? I'd be playing solo so I'd need to deal damage and heal myself. What does Wis do for a paladin in Neverwinter? I know it has a lot of impact in P&P. Paladins start out with:
    Str 8
    Dex 10 (12 if I put a +2 stat bump)
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 14 (16 if I put a +2 stat bump)
    Cha 18

So what does Wis and Cha do in this game?
    Going by what I'm reading here I should put the stat bumps in Dex and INT, not Wis?
    Sorry all this is just very confusing comparing it to P&P. Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate it.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    As others have mentioned, it's not that meaningful where you put them, because the two points amount to a 1% bonus on one stat and a 0.5% on the other. If you hover over your stats on any of your other characters it should tell you what each stat actually improves and how much.

I haven't played in a while so just going from memory here, but I think Wis might help the Paladin's outgoing healing, and the Dex probably helps Defense or Deflect or something. CON helps with Hit points and Stamina (which gets used when you block, I think). INT helps with your Magical Damage, and STR the 'physical damage' of your basic attacks. Paladins were changed so their physical attacks do almost nothing and almost all their damage comes from the magic portion (again, from memory)... so INT helps you deal more damage than STR does.

CHA helps with something like Companion stats and maybe ability recharge rate or something like that. So some people will tell you to go WIS and CON for a healing pally with more hitpoints, other people will tell you to go CON and DEX for a more defensive tanky paladin, other people will tell you to go INT and CHA for a more damage-dealing paladin.

In reality, pick whatever seems cool to you because gain, it's one percent and half a percent of whatever bonus. Your actual performance will come from whatever you choose in gear and companions and boons etc.