test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hardware & Game Performance

zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
edited February 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
I discovered something today I'd like to share that may improve your game play experience. I am using a computer which is underpowered for my graphics card and shuts off if I draw too much wattage. (getting by with this handicap until I get a new Alienware computer this summer). I'm running the lowest possible graphics settings. Still, my computer really hums at times while playing, and has for years. I thought it was poor programming by Cryptic... but have now discovered the issue which may be shared by many.

Google employes an executable called Software_Reporter_Tool.exe. This fires constantly while I play and runs the CPU at up to 99%. This program is for their information gathering and can be safely deleted. It's whole folder can be removed. For me, performance is improved and more importantly... I can play in silence without an over-revving CPU fan. Hope this works for you... I suggest researching a bit on google before making any changes based on my or any persons commentary. Happy Gaming!

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I usually run the task manager side by side to see what is running (I have dual monitor).
    I use it to see if the game is leaking memory, what else is sucking up cpu/memory. what the current RAM consumption is.
    When I was using a win7 gaming laptop, it gave me hint when to restart the game (I could see the game was sucking up memory with no good reason) before it would become unbearable. I also could see when chrome was using too much memory too.
    I did not have the Software_Reporter_Tool.exe issue but there could be other program was doing things.

Now, I am using an Alienware gaming desktop. I have not encountered any gaming issue.
    My Win7 gaming laptop decided to quit before last Christmas, probably it knew Microsoft is going to ditch it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I run Linux Kubuntu. Impossible to run anything else in my OS, unless I tell it to do so. Linux is free user supported OS. Here is my current Task Manager.

I really don't know what it all means, however 19% of the CPU, 63% + 5% of the memory, sounds like a good deal.
    My GPU temp is +54.0°C, all my cores are at +36.0°C

@zimxero#8085 Thanks for keeping the community informed! :cookie:
    wb-cenders.gif