test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

pug guide to roles

2»

Comments

• josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    mrbogus said:

Any class: LEARN THE DUNGEON! If your first time in a certain one then SAY SO AT THE START! Otherwise there are videos on Youtube!

Just in regards to the youtube comment: When I have free time to play the game, I want to play the game - not watch a youtube of someone else playing the game.

Don't worry though. Having people that demand I know a dungeon prior to ever going into the dungeon is one of the reasons I don't do dungeons. =P
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User

@some1stolemynickname

Self healing ability does not mean potions bc a potion is an item , not ability.
    Outside combat means - does not fight. If we are going as a team and a fight breaks up , everybody fights.
    Nobody just stands around mumbling incantations, going in deep meditations or falling on the ground in feverish praying waiting for the fight to finish.
    You are a healer not because that is all you do , but because it is what you do better. And I am a damage dealer not because I can not heal, but because I deal damage better.
    I presume that you can fix something without being a carpenter, cook something without being a chef and do not run to the doctor when you have a scratch.
    Imagine this-
    We are going into the Tomb of Horrors. Traps, monsters, undead, invisible portals to other planes and soul sucking demi- lich.
    You can not kill a zombie on your own.
    I can not live 10 steps away form you .
    What are our chances?
    What kind of gamplay is this?

First and foremost this is absolutely wrong and it all seems to come from the same viewpoint that influences most of your posts that i have read. That viewpoint is this is the same as pen and paper D&D. You need to get that idea out of your head and stop referencing it all the time as this game is not D&D. This is an MMO set in the forgotten realms using familiar characters and locations and that is about all it has in common with it. Referencing pen and paper modules is irrelevant and has no basis on the actual game we are playing.

As for the not fighting part that is also entirely opinion based. if I am involved in the battle and do no damage it doesn't mean i am not actually fighting. take for an example of duo running a random mission. CW and a DC

encounter solo boss

- CW starts of with daily taking 75% of boss hp
    - CW gets hit by boss attack taking away 30% of his hp
    - DC heals CW restoring 25% of the hp
    - CW fires off an encounter dealing the last 25% of the boss hp.

Another example with a GF and TR same solo boss

- TR uses stealth and moves to position behind the boss
    - GF moves into aggro range and gains aggro by default
    - boss attempts to hit the GF but damage is mitigated by the GF shield
    - TR uses encounter from stealth and then follows up immediately with 2nd encounter killing boss

In both cases neither the DC nor the GF dealt any damage but they were actively involved in the fight.

Also just because you always reference it there is also examples of Pacifist Healers in the pen and paper version that either have very limited or absolutely no attacks against enemies. A friend of mine played one in 3.5, it was a hugely popular build in 4 and there is a version in 5 as well.
  • some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    To anyone who blames a healer for their bad play style:

during a dungeon run hit X and look at the amount the healer has healed (scaled dungeons will have much less at lower lvl scale)

look at your incoming heals %...then read about healing mechanics https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/heals

ask yourself, "Why didn't I use a Stone of Health to self heal when even the healer uses them?"

why didn't you avoid the red (dodge more)

read what the OP says again

you have no room to argue a class/role you haven't played
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

To anyone who blames a healer for their bad play style:

during a dungeon run hit X and look at the amount the healer has healed (scaled dungeons will have much less at lower lvl scale)

look at your incoming heals %...then read about healing mechanics https://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics16/heals

ask yourself, "Why didn't I use a Stone of Health to self heal when even the healer uses them?"

why didn't you avoid the red (dodge more)

read what the OP says again

you have no room to argue a class/role you haven't played

There is one aspect why this occurs. Some players are completely unaware that the healers are limited by divinity or in the case of warlock sparks. They think healing is infinite, and they are completely unaware of how slow divinity recharges enough to heal again, so when the healer is stuck in a deficit amount of divinity and continue to make mistakes standing in red or taking unnecessary damage the drop off to keeping party members alive escalates.

Good parties, with decent healer can do any content. Its when the party handles the damage well, the healer becomes more of a mistake recover rather than a drain. So its okay even if good party members make occasional mistakes, the healer can handle those and that is what is important. Its why many queues demand experience. If the healers had infinite heals it wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't need to use health stones or scrolls.

Also all it takes is one party member who doesn't care, stands in red constantly and is repeatedly putting themselves in damaging situations and simply does not care. They become greedy for heals which puts the party at a loss.

This can happen when tanks refuse to use their abilities at the proper moments and the healer focus is to keep the tank alive yet they become the biggest drain for the rest of the party.

If you are needing to use a lot of health stones then it means someone else is either not using them and taking too much damage draining the healer to nothing.