test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is anyone watching the new Star Treck picard

I know this is strange but I cant find anything related to Star treck picard on any of the streaming sights in Canada. I tryed bell, crave, amazon prime and CBS. Whenever i do a search for star treck picard nothing shows up. I even serched down the entire list of shows and found nothing related. Has anyone from canada been able to watch it. It said on the 24th it would be available in all countries. Its now Feb the 6. I am assuming im just realy stupid or something and cant understand lol.

Comments

• akta#9913 akta Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Trek** there is no letter C
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I've seen the first season, it's definitely miles better than Discovery, it's not like the Star Trek I grew up with, but theres story explainations for a lot of the differences we see. I think its fine so far, waiting to see the 2nd season.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I never cared much for the character. My husband is into sci-fi so I did watch a few shows with him back in the 90's. He was given a gift by the probe in season 5 episode 25 "The Inner Light". Memories of an extinct world, and all they asked was, for him to share it with others. Instead he locks himself in his room to play the flute, and not once do you see or hear of him give lecture, write a book, or share anything he learned about those people. Instead he hides out to practice his flute and apparently the memories are far too private to share with anyone. The man is horrible historian, for someone who claims to be into archaeology as a hobby. No, I never cared for Picard as a character. Patrick Stewart is a pretty good actor.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I enjoyed it. I've always been a Picard fan, rather than a Kirk fan.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

I never cared much for the character. My husband is into sci-fi so I did watch a few shows with him back in the 90's. He was given a gift by the probe in season 5 episode 25 "The Inner Light". Memories of an extinct world, and all they asked was, for him to share it with others. Instead he locks himself in his room to play the flute, and not once do you see or hear of him give lecture, write a book, or share anything he learned about those people. Instead he hides out to practice his flute and apparently the memories are far too private to share with anyone. The man is horrible historian, for someone who claims to be into archaeology as a hobby. No, I never cared for Picard as a character. Patrick Stewart is a pretty good actor.

So, if your mother-in-law gives you a car, she gets to tell you where to go on vacation? Or which stores you can and can't shop at?
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

So, if your mother-in-law gives you a car, she gets to tell you where to go on vacation? Or which stores you can and can't shop at?
    ^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inner_Light_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

he plays the flute after getting it because it was the essence of the man he was in the memory. if it wasn't important to them they wouldn't have included it in the probe. they wouldn't have gone into any details of sharing the memory of the people with any particular community because it's the concept not the implementation that is important to the story. it would be pedantic and lame if they were to say and then to fulfill the wishes they retold the story to the ship data banks where all could access it. it's the enterprise and the federation. of course the information will be preserved.

U N M I T I G A T E D

D E S A S T E R

https://youtu.be/Ao99bNrJ_1Q

it actually really was imo. I'll try to be observant of spoilers but there were so many much more interesting places they could have taken the plot and some of the cameos just seemed ego stroking rather than meaningful. I was disappointed. hoping for better for season 2. and the pacing was weird. really weird. I wanted to love it but they've been on a solid path of destroying the star trek universe recently. I mean lets not even get into how bad discovery is. they really seem to not get what the star trek universe is all about. it's not a redressed star wars...
    Sorry about the late replies. I am busy writing up stories on two other games, and my visits to these forums is now more or less time consuming.

@wintersmoke I don't think that is the same concept. It is more like someone, a random stranger, dies and gives you a $250,000 sports car and says, "Be sure to use it and take your friends for rides in it. Enjoy it!!". Then you keep it parked in a locked garage and polish it with a diaper. Then you talk to it and tell it how precious it is for the remainder of your life.

There was another thing I noticed about Picard, being lousy at receiving "gifts", but it probably was the fault of the props department or the lack of anyone doing their research into the episodes. On a the TV series a friend of his stops by and gifts him an ancient artifact. In the first movie they reuse the prop and Picard is digging through the wreckage and treats the artifact like garbage. Someone on You Tube also noticed it and posted these clips...

https://youtu.be/xZ4qkDqjA3Q

@kreatyve yes Kirk was a horrible man. He was a womanizer, killed aliens for being different to his "morale code", and destroyed machines that defended entire worlds. His hatred for machines showed in several episodes. I know these facts, because I researched the show's history when I was a Foundry author on Star Trek. I wrote the KDF episode, "The Rights of the Many" where the KDF player testifies at a trial;

"The Federation are invaders and conquerors. They say explorers, but how many times in your planet's history did exploration from one continent to another lead to war? They hide, they spy, and infiltrate your society through deception. Many times the Federation has found societies and cultures that offend their values.

Several generations ago, the Federation invaded the planet Gamma Trianguli VI. They found the people of that world working for a God, that gave them a perfect environment, longevity, and happiness. The Federation exposed and destroyed the machine they believed to be a God. Today Gamma Trianguli VI is plagued with disease, wars rage across the surface of the planet, and the average lifespan of the people is only 45 years. They only return to worlds when it is in their best interest."

I felt Will Riker was a more lovable character. He loved the ladies and showed them respect, an android was his friend, and he was a scoundrel but just enough to make him the adorable bad boy. Hope you enjoy your series! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Sorry about the late replies. I am busy writing up stories on two other games, and my visits to these forums is now more or less time consuming.

@wintersmoke I don't think that is the same concept. It is more like someone, a random stranger, dies and gives you a $250,000 sports car and says, "Be sure to use it and take your friends for rides in it. Enjoy it!!". Then you keep it parked in a locked garage and polish it with a diaper. Then you talk to it and tell it how precious it is for the remainder of your life.

There was another thing I noticed about Picard, being lousy at receiving "gifts", but it probably was the fault of the props department or the lack of anyone doing their research into the episodes. On a the TV series a friend of his stops by and gifts him an ancient artifact. In the first movie they reuse the prop and Picard is digging through the wreckage and treats the artifact like garbage. Someone on You Tube also noticed it and posted these clips...

@kreatyve yes Kirk was a horrible man. He was a womanizer, killed aliens for being different to his "morale code", and destroyed machines that defended entire worlds. His hatred for machines showed in several episodes. I know these facts, because I researched the show's history when I was a Foundry author on Star Trek. I wrote the KDF episode, "The Rights of the Many" where the KDF player testifies at a trial;

"The Federation are invaders and conquerors. They say explorers, but how many times in your planet's history did exploration from one continent to another lead to war? They hide, they spy, and infiltrate your society through deception. Many times the Federation has found societies and cultures that offend their values.

Several generations ago, the Federation invaded the planet Gamma Trianguli VI. They found the people of that world working for a God, that gave them a perfect environment, longevity, and happiness. The Federation exposed and destroyed the machine they believed to be a God. Today Gamma Trianguli VI is plagued with disease, wars rage across the surface of the planet, and the average lifespan of the people is only 45 years. They only return to worlds when it is in their best interest."

I felt Will Riker was a more lovable character. He loved the ladies and showed them respect, an android was his friend, and he was a scoundrel but just enough to make him the adorable bad boy. Hope you enjoy your series! <3</p>
    I disagree with that analogy. The alien culture that built the probe DID give Picard a gift. They gave him the home, and family, that had had to give up in exchange for his Star Fleet career. But there were strings attached, as you said they asked him to share his memories of their culture. Deeply personal, and painful memories which include the deaths of his wife and children. Even the gift itself was a double edged sword. Picard was shown in the memory-dream as experiencing episodes of melancholy, caused presumably by his natural personality attempting to assert itself. These episodes caused him to isolate & withdraw, even form his own "family." I don't see it as out of character for him not to willingly share these memories casually with strangers. Even so, I would have liked to have seen him talk with Beverly, or even Counsellor Troi, about it. But I agree with @kreatyve, I assumed that these conversations happened off camera. Similarly with any report that he included when the wreckage of the alien probe was returned to Star Fleet for disassembly and study.

I was much more interested in the melody he played on the flute. In the beginning, when we see him play it, it is always alone. The song is played slowly, almost a dirge. Once he gets a little distance, and is able to share his music with others, it becomes lighter and faster. Not exactly a happy tune, but much prettier, in my opinion.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I felt Will Riker was a more lovable character. He loved the ladies and showed them respect, an android was his friend, and he was a scoundrel but just enough to make him the adorable bad boy. Hope you enjoy your series! <3</p>
    I disagree with that analogy. The alien culture that built the probe DID give Picard a gift. They gave him the home, and family, that had had to give up in exchange for his Star Fleet career. But there were strings attached, as you said they asked him to share his memories of their culture. Deeply personal, and painful memories which include the deaths of his wife and children. Even the gift itself was a double edged sword. Picard was shown in the memory-dream as experiencing episodes of melancholy, caused presumably by his natural personality attempting to assert itself. These episodes caused him to isolate & withdraw, even form his own "family." I don't see it as out of character for him not to willingly share these memories casually with strangers. Even so, I would have liked to have seen him talk with Beverly, or even Counsellor Troi, about it. But I agree with @kreatyve, I assumed that these conversations happened off camera. Similarly with any report that he included when the wreckage of the alien probe was returned to Star Fleet for disassembly and study.

I was much more interested in the melody he played on the flute. In the beginning, when we see him play it, it is always alone. The song is played slowly, almost a dirge. Once he gets a little distance, and is able to share his music with others, it becomes lighter and faster. Not exactly a happy tune, but much prettier, in my opinion.
    I feel like you are overthinking those episodes. Picard loved knowledge and exploration. Part of that is sharing the knowledge with others, even of tragic or sad events. I don't think he felt like he was giving anything up by sharing that. It's been a while since I've seen those episodes though, so maybe I'm just misremembering things. But yeah... Kirk was a bit racist. :( Picard is much more open minded.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png

kreatyve said:

But yeah... Kirk was a bit racist. :( Picard is much more open minded.

You GOT to be joking.

I wasn't joking, but it has been an extremely long time since I've watched any of the older stuff with Kirk, so maybe I'm misremembering how things happened. But Picard, he was trying to make friends with nearly everyone. I don't want to post spoilers to the show, but he even befriended a race that the Federation had been at war with for a very long time.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Well, my 2 Energy Credits on this show, it was just so disappointing and underwhelming. I might give the second season a look-see, if it ends up being on Prime too.

Btw. are there any other better/good Sci-Fi series on Prime atm. that are actually worth watching?

Anyway, with Picard being on Prime, it would have also been nice to see a new STO pack on Twitch too, perhaps with a few nice items for NWO thrown in as well. May be that will happen for the second season, one can only dream...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I was very much looking forward to it, but never finished the first episode. I guess I rage quit.

If there's one thing I cannot abide, it's a kung fu panda character. A character who goes from zero to full on legendary epic awesomeness out of nowhere is nearly always horrendous writing. I don't care what the rationale or explanation is. It's pathetic character development.

It can be done, and done well. Yukito Kishiro did it. The writers of Picard did not.
    by kung fu panda do you mean Elnor? he didn't exactly become awesome overnight, he was a kid and then we saw him as an adult. It was probably lazy of them to not include any of the backround of how he got so good, but its not completely unexplained.
    edited May 2020
    kreatyve said:

I feel like you are overthinking those episodes. Picard loved knowledge and exploration. Part of that is sharing the knowledge with others, even of tragic or sad events. I don't think he felt like he was giving anything up by sharing that. It's been a while since I've seen those episodes though, so maybe I'm just misremembering things. But yeah... Kirk was a bit racist. :( Picard is much more open minded.
    I think @wintersmoke is right on with no overthinking it. Picard is a hardcore introvert. he's not a sharer. he's not some extroverted story teller thats going to write songs about it. I think it's over thinking it to get all, "ohhh he's a bad man because he isn't more of a sharer when they wanted him to be a sharer".

he didn't talk much about anything personal with anyone unless badgered into it.

I don't think it was much of a gift and definitely not a 250000 car. Picard had no choice in the matter if he received their "gift" or not. What he received could more properly be called a burden. What more sharing would be required than giving it to the data banks where future researchers could access if required? making some production out of how he shared it would have been very bad story telling imo. what made it good story telling was that you needed to fill in some blanks. it's also a huge assumption to assume how precisely the society was hoping to be remembered.

archaeologists don't go around talking about every little artifact they have or every society they've encountered. they write papers and expect those interested to read those papers and apply the way past societies operated to future endeavors. having an experience like that would allow them to know how things worked that might be undecipherable now. that archaeologists would be forced to make up stories around to explain. but it isn't something you'd want to bore the world with. it's unrealistic to apply some sense of morality to picard based on that.

the negative space doesn't need to be filled with words to get the idea of something.
    kreatyve said:

kreatyve said:

But yeah... Kirk was a bit racist. :( Picard is much more open minded.

You GOT to be joking.

I wasn't joking, but it has been an extremely long time since I've watched any of the older stuff with Kirk, so maybe I'm misremembering how things happened. But Picard, he was trying to make friends with nearly everyone. I don't want to post spoilers to the show, but he even befriended a race that the Federation had been at war with for a very long time.
    Kirk did it with a green girl.. having sex with anyone means not racist right??? lol. Kirk was a product of his time. imo the first series while beloved is absolutely unwatchable under a modern lens.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Picard was better than DISCO, I disliked DISCO with a passion especially after they decided to call anyone racist homophobic for not liking it. Picard has a great season one, but without going into spoilers. I foresee the trapdoor under the actor Patrick Stewart. The actor is 80 years old and could quit due to health or personal reasons. The show must go on, so with that said, the way they ended this season and started the series, they can easily recast another actor for the role of Picard. How would the fans feel about that, you ask? I am not a "fan" of the show yet, it takes more than one season to decide my fanatic reply. It only took the pilot of DISCO to make me dislike it.

I am big fan of Star Trek. I grew up watching reruns of TOS with Kirk and Spock, women in skimpy outfits and gogo boots! No that isn't sexist, it is putting women up on a pedestal. Later two years after high school started watching STNG. I fully admit, I wanted Picard to remain a borg in Best of Both Worlds, and see Riker become the Captain with Data as his Executive Officer. Later I watched DS9 and enjoyed most of the "Truck Stop in Space". Disliked VGER and ENT equally, they had poor plots and wrecked a lot of concepts. I still watched them and they unlike DISCO have a few good rainy day episodes I would watch again. At this point, Ben Sisko might say, "With two fouls and one strike, Picard better hit a homer.".

Picard was better than DISCO, I disliked DISCO with a passion especially after they decided to call anyone racist homophobic for not liking it. Picard has a great season one, but without going into spoilers. I foresee the trapdoor under the actor Patrick Stewart. The actor is 80 years old and could quit due to health or personal reasons. The show must go on, so with that said, the way they ended this season and started the series, they can easily recast another actor for the role of Picard. How would the fans feel about that, you ask? I am not a "fan" of the show yet, it takes more than one season to decide my fanatic reply. It only took the pilot of DISCO to make me dislike it.

I am big fan of Star Trek. I grew up watching reruns of TOS with Kirk and Spock, women in skimpy outfits and gogo boots! No that isn't sexist, it is putting women up on a pedestal. Later two years after high school started watching STNG. I fully admit, I wanted Picard to remain a borg in Best of Both Worlds, and see Riker become the Captain with Data as his Executive Officer. Later I watched DS9 and enjoyed most of the "Truck Stop in Space". Disliked VGER and ENT equally, they had poor plots and wrecked a lot of concepts. I still watched them and they unlike DISCO have a few good rainy day episodes I would watch again. At this point, Ben Sisko might say, "With two fouls and one strike, Picard better hit a homer.".

You think putting women up on a pedestal is not sexist?? What goes on pedestals? Objects...

not at all sexist. no sir.

x|

I am big fan of Star Trek. I grew up watching reruns of TOS with Kirk and Spock, women in skimpy outfits and gogo boots! No that isn't sexist, it is putting women up on a pedestal.

Not all women enjoy skimpy outfits and gogo boots. While yes, there are some that enjoy showing off what they have, there are just as many who feel degraded by it. I wouldn't call it sexist, but you do not see men in outfits that are nearly as revealing as women's have been on the show. I doubt CBS would even allow it to the extent they allow it for women.
    kuI2v8l.png
    Whether women in sexy outfits is sexist depends on whether the women are doing it becuase they like it or not lol.
    edited May 2020
    gradii said:

Whether women in sexy outfits is sexist depends on whether the women are doing it becuase they like it or not lol.

while i'm of the opinion women should be allowed to wear what they want the base behind it if they enjoy wearing revealing clothes or not is still sexist. women can buy into the sexism. they do it to attract men. many women still believe in sexist tropes. their self worth is tied into how much attraction men because low self esteem. dressing provocatively is seen as the measure of their self worth. mostly due to tv shows and media along these lines ingraining that into them from a young age. (also referred to as grooming) it's not healthy.

I meant sexism in the deragatory sense. its ok for a woman to choose to wear revealing clothing, but it is not ok when it is insisted they do against their wishes.
    gradii said:

I meant sexism in the deragatory sense. its ok for a woman to choose to wear revealing clothing, but it is not ok when it is insisted they do against their wishes.

so sexism is ok? it's not a problem? how about racism? is that ok to you too?

gradii said:

Hey, tone it down a bit. I was enjoying having something off topic to chat about without having to put on my moderator hat. Please don't make me do it.
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited May 2020
    kreatyve said:

gradii said:

Hey, tone it down a bit. I was enjoying having something off topic to chat about without having to put on my moderator hat. Please don't make me do it.
    how is that bad? it's asking a question? he's saying sexism is an ok thing. I'm just wondering where he draws the line. Frankly I'm surprised with your being ok that he's saying sexism is fine and dandy lol.

sexism is one of the last bastions of defensible isms in the world. men fight for it tooth and claw but it's still a harmful objectification in much the same way racism is a harmful objectification.

it's a way of rendering another human as less than human so you can subject that other human to your will.
    My husband (@hotfrostworm) may have grew up with mini skirts, gogo boots, and ABBA. But it's not like he is making me wear that outdated gear. lol But that was 1966 and what people thought the future might look like. Twenty years later Next Generation came out, did you know they have the mini skirt outfit for males? They are called "skants" skirt + pants.

Kirk slept around a lot and so did Riker. The Captain Kirk character was from a different era, he treated women as objects, and showed that he felt they were weak. Not sure the name of the episode, but there was one where the woman passed over for command of the Enterprise did a body swap with Kirk. She has a melt down on the bridge and overall it was just a poorly written episode in my opinion. This was the morale values of the 1960's, Gene Roddenberry's vision, and not really a glimpse of the future. We have to remember, we can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Rikers dates as I recall, caused more trouble for the ship in that series, than any enemy of the Federation ever could.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Han Solo was cooler than all of them. ;p
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • jafraol#7258 jafraol Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I used to think so too - until it turned out that Greedo got the drop on him. That made me totally rethink Picard in Skants - JL Picard wouldn't let that alien get that shot off, no matter how he was dressed. Thats true cool. Now all SW strikes me as anti-sith propaganda, and I kinda want to get me some Skants.