test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Life after Demon Lord's Set !?

With the advent of Mod 18 and tweaking the Demon Lord's Set, I thought it would be time to upgrade the character equipment I play on (Main GWF, GF alt 1, CW alt 2). However, when trying to find a set for GWF in particular, I realized that there are few options for this exchange to be done urgently, since the existing sets do not please me so far to make such an investment.

I will post here the sets I have considered along with my analysis so we can discuss their feasibilities.

1.Lostmauth's Hoard Set (Bonus: Do an additional hit for Weapon Damage on a Critical hit.)

This one I didn't even consider. It is a set that was bis before the set of Demon Lords. The reduced damage bonus from the Lord of the Demonions set brought life to what some already considered bis, but it, like all pre-mod 14 sets (Barovia), has far less status, attributes, and combinated rating than the casts released in mod 16 and after. As a dev commented here on the forum that statuses will get harder and harder to achieve, I promptly discarded this set.

2.Vistani Set (Bonus: When you cast a damaging aoe but it only hits one target, the target will take 5% more damage for 5 seconds.)

It is a Barovia set, has more status, attributes and combinated ratings than the Demon Lords set, but less than the post mod 16 sets. It can cause a debuff, easily applied with Relentless Slash (Added Effect: Increase damage dealt by 5%) of the GWF. The downside to this set is that it only debuffs when power hits 1 target, which reduces the class's potential for wave cleanup. I've always been interested in this set for my CW as I could buff the group with Controlled Moment and debuff with the set's bonus and Ray of Enfeeblement.

3.Apocalypse Set (Bonus: Whenever you hit an enemy with a critical attack, the damage the enemy takes will be increased by 1% for 5 seconds. This can stack up to 5 times.)

It is another set of Barovia. It has the same problem as Vistani regarding status, attributes and combinated ratings compared to the newer ones. It is what has pleased me most so far since I have the artifact at its maximum level. Like the Vistani ensemble, it causes debuff. But some questions came to me about these debuffs. That stack debuff? Since I'm debuffing, this 5% doesn't fit the damage calculation formula I would cause, even if it is beneficial to everyone in the group, would this be better or worse than being using eg Mad Mage set?

4.Constructed Demise Set (Bonus:When you use a Daily power, you will take 5% less damage and will do 5% more damage to enemies for 10 seconds.) and Aprentices' Spoils Set (Bonus: When you use a Daily power, you do 15% more damage to enemies that are not facing you for 10 seconds.).

These are the best Mod 16 sets. Excellent status, attributes and combinated ratings. What weighs against these sets is the fact that GWF does not earn Action Points easily. If it were still like the pre - mod 16 times, these sets would certainly be bis, but after mod 16 the AP gain is difficult. Maybe for classes that have more AP gain or for builds with focus on AP gain (race, mount bonus and artifact) it is feasible, but for my GWF I don't see it as replacing the set of Demon Lords. I plan to change my GF Tank set to the Constructed Demise Set, I think it is an excellent choice as it fits well with my Feytouch enchant, as well as with daily power Determination (Dispels and grants immunity to most control effects, and increases damage dealt by 10%.) if the group needs to do more damage.

5.Halaster's Odds and Ends Set (Bonus: When you stand still for 6 seconds, your Damage and Movement Speed is increased by 5% for 6 seconds.)

The likely set that will be considered the new bis. Great status and an artifact that deals damage and a 15% debuff. But there will always be the cons, I don't like the set bonus for melee classes. Melee classes have to move more to dodge attacks and effects areas. Mobility also helps in gaining Combat Avantage. This is now the perfect choice for my CW, but I have still been in doubt as my CW was created to be a buffer / debuffer and the Vistani set is a lot more attractive if I want it to stay for what it was created.

There are no easy choices, but we will have to move on, even if the set of Demon Lords still remains viable, as most of the game content is easy, which makes winning 5% or more bonus damage this set is applied quickly.

In this link is a post where @ltsmithneko he discusses creating new sets.
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1253472/more-impactful-artifact-sets

In this link is a video of Northside (Unforgiven) where he also discusses sets with his opinions and knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRlwCHuOBg

As English is not my original language, please forgive the probable errors if any, already spent a lot of time translating everything.

Comments

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Fun fact: for a low power Barbarian the Lostmouth set is much better than any other choice now. At 120k power it makes roughly 3 % of my damage. As the LV does not seem to be affected by power, it really looses its shine the more power you have... on the other hand, it is fool-proof just like the demo.
    So, reached lvl. 70 and in a dire need of temporary solution before you save some currency? Go Lostmouth. It is dirty cheap set now and pushing it to purple is easy - and may be even pointless =) . (disclaimer: it still suffers from a bug like years ago - other weapon enchantments than vorpal might cause an inability to trigger the bonus)

And I love how you skipped the TOO neck-waist-art set. (it really is not worth giving it even just a glance)

BTW: Exactly the fool-proof character of the demo set bonus makes it still the most usable solution for the most of the DPS player-base. What can push the set aside is only the lack of stats/HP.
  • isaacorion#1994 isaacorion Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Some notes on Apocalypse set:
    1 - Debuff stacks up, though I don't recall seeing any testing if multiple Apocalypse sets on same target would stack.
    2 - (old issue that might still be around) The Apocalypse debuff used to be diminished against "higher than 70 enemies". Like FBI and Chult with their Lvl 74 enemies, the debuff would not apply a full 1% per stack. I think the total 5 stack debuff came out around 3.6% something against those enemies. This might have been fixed/removed with M16 lvl cap increase, or it might have been made worse.
    3 - 50% crit cap.

Vistani set debuff I believe was unaffected by the "higher than 70 enemies" issue.

Also, I'm waiting to hear if the new M18 dungeon final boss is classified as a devil, demon, fiend, or the obvious Construct. Cause if it's Construct then the new arti set is dead on arrival for the most part. (barring changes pre-launch which is always possible)
    Warlock: Don't want to let you down but I am hell bound. - Imagine Dragons
    Cleric: You can be an angel of mercy or give in to hate. - Shinedown
    Wizard: The more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning bright. - Shinedown
    Barbarian: Am I beautiful... as I tear you to pieces? - In This Moment
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    What about the journals?
    Elite Whaleboy
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Those are supposed to be good for tanks, I heard something like 40k HP once you had all 4, and they were maxed on rp. I haven't checked it out yet, but I do have all 4 on 3 toons, and 2 of those have the waist, or neck also. I have never been fond of any of the artifact set bonuses(personal preference) as I feel they never proc, don't work(at least that I can see or tell on my pally, warlock, wizard, or rogue, this includes demon lord set, I never noticed a difference in dps with it on any toon that had it complete), or is just plain obsoleted by the time I collect the whole set, and refine it to max rank.

My pally is currently running the TOO belt, and all 4 journals. He has the reflective collar(someone told me that the reflective set was bis for pally). If I would put back all the high rank enchants and runestones he had 3 weeks ago he'd be sitting at about 700k hp(only one book is maxed. Belt and neck are legendary.

My warlock will switch between the greater belt of int, or wis(depending on loadout). He has the TOO neck at legendary, and 3 journals equipped, with a mythic staff of flowers.

I will probably run constructed demise set on my rogue and wizard, but for now they both have greater belts(rogue str, wizard int). My wizard is actually really fun to play right now as he is(20k IL, only 30 boon points spent). The rogue is trash. I'm on xbox, so I will be watching this and adjusting accordingly. But it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I really wish that the best gear that we get at the end of each mod was gear that would be really great in the next mod. I found it quite pointless to farm for the sunset weapons, when they had no use anywhere but Barovia...
  • droidonroids#1509 droidonroids Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I have all the journals from Tales and the neck and waist, the extra HP and power for the complete journal set (4) is nice at mythic. The sash and waist provide damage % of your weapon. So if I read that correctly your main hand weapon provides 4800 damage and you get a% of that?

I do like the visuals of the neck piece just wished the waist visuals worked, the scrolling hieroglyphics look cool at least.

I play a SW with 192k power and unfortunately with all the changes to powers and feats it’s not the same character I played pre mod 16, and the few changes coming to SW in mod 18 may not be enough to make it a strong DPS again. I can play all content but no amount of tweaking feats/powers/boons/equipment make much of a difference
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    The journals - do you mean the 3-4 artefact bonus? I did not counted it amongst neck-waist-art sets obviously, but for your information: it gives the same bonus as Lostmouth set. (it even is called Lostmouth's Vengeance in the log) ...and some HP and a little bit of Power as well.
    For that having 3 of those artefacts is good, but it does not prevent you from having a neck-belt-art set as well.

However, the TOO neck-belt-art set inherited old Black Ice Set bonus - which is silly... and absolutely pointless to have. Low chance on causing additional 10% of weapon damage, properly with internal CD. (it ads roughly up to 1/1000 increase in your DPS)
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User

On the ToO set for each part of this set you get 500 power bonus and 5k HP. With 3 artifacts you can have the set bonus, which leaves you room for a more functional set.

I didn't comment on the new set because from what I saw it will be very casual for the new module. It reminded me of Barovia's weapon set, where the bonus was for a single campaign. Because of this very few people made this set, since they knew that in a few months it would be totally discarded.

I have all the journals from Tales and the neck and waist, the extra HP and power for the complete journal set (4) is nice at mythic. The sash and waist provide damage % of your weapon. So if I read that correctly your main hand weapon provides 4800 damage and you get a% of that?

I do like the visuals of the neck piece just wished the waist visuals worked, the scrolling hieroglyphics look cool at least.

I play a SW with 192k power and unfortunately with all the changes to powers and feats it’s not the same character I played pre mod 16, and the few changes coming to SW in mod 18 may not be enough to make it a strong DPS again. I can play all content but no amount of tweaking feats/powers/boons/equipment make much of a difference

My warlock on xobx has only 107k power, and I find him to be a blast to play. Not as much fun as my wizard at similar power, but way less frustrating than my pally had been in the same areas at 110k power. In fact my warlock is so much fun, that I am focusing on finishing boons with him and such before Hellpit(again xbox), so I can run him thru that to get him a legendary mount.

For reference my warlock has 44 boon points, 3 journals equipped(1 page short in envenomed, others empty), and staff of flowers at mythic. He runs primal weapons at epic, has the too neck. The dps loadout has greater belt of intelligence at legendary. Healer loadout has same gear, except the greater belt of wisdom at epic. 3 r11 bondings, and deepcrow at epic as summoned comp.

I think I need a new controller, as I feel like the left stick doesn't always activate shadow slip when I think I've pushed it down...

I didn't comment on the new set because from what I saw it will be very casual for the new module. It reminded me of Barovia's weapon set, where the bonus was for a single campaign. Because of this very few people made this set, since they knew that in a few months it would be totally discarded.

This is the same issue I had with the sunset weapons from Ravenloft, only good for a mod that you've already finished. No point whatsoever IMHO. I've checked into preview(I have a separate account on pc for testing purposes), and I must say I am disappointed with mod 18. Back to timegating, repeatable quests, and a weekly haul on top. If they don't add some kind of reward that is meaningful with each campaign step, other than increasing the weekly haul to 200, I can't see doing mod 18 on more than 1, maybe 2 toons with any sense of urgency. Especially since the dialog, and quests, don't have any difference(other than how the toon plays) whether you are a rogue, paladin, or a wizard. There are also way too many currencies required for the various pieces of gear...

edited December 2019
    As I was very disappointed in the Mod 16 preview, I never logged into the test server again. As much as I and many others have said and demonstrated that there was no balance between the DPS classes, I felt that the community was ignored and now we will have in Mod 18 one more attempt to fix this.

Returning to the theme of the topic, if this module is an introduction to hell, it might be a good investment to make the new set, as we would continue to face demons and others where the set gives the bonus. But we never know of future game plans and as there are so many Bosses who don't have their story closed, I'd rather wait before making new joint investment for my GWF dps. For now I'm investing in my alts that already have good possibilities available.

As I was very disappointed in the Mod 16 preview, I never logged into the test server again. As much as I and many others have said and demonstrated that there was no balance between the DPS classes, I felt that the community was ignored and now we will have in Mod 18 one more attempt to fix this.

Returning to the theme of the topic, if this module is an introduction to hell, it might be a good investment to make the new set, as we would continue to face demons and others where the set gives the bonus. But we never know of future game plans and as there are so many Bosses who don't have their story closed, I'd rather wait before making new joint investment for my GWF dps. For now I'm investing in my alts that already have good possibilities available.

I held onto my unrestored sunsets for a bit thinking maybe there be a use later. But since I couldn't grind for the refinement bits cuz CRL was broken for so long, I just discarded them...
    I did the Apocalypse Set for testing - it is really interesting, but the damage gain is not 5%, it is around 2.6 and 2.8% from what I read. If someone can do more current tests, it would be a good help. As I need more status to be able to make the new dungeon and with the Demon Set I am not able to reach the desired status, I will use it.
  • arkai#8115 arkai Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    Its fun life after demon set is demon set...they dindt provide a valuable alternative.. the higher itml set with set bonus active only on daily use are a think really bad. So orcus or storytellers nothing changes.they need to rework a little the artifact set bonus from the higher set put in line with orcus. at last we deserve to have a bit of choice, especially at endgame.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    tl;dr : Apocalypse if no one else has it, otherwise Arcturia, but only tested on CW.

Note for Apocalypse that it does not stack over 5, regardless of how many player has the set, nor stacks differently by players, so only 1 set effectively applies. Also with the barovian set, it can stack, but it has a huge and unmentioned CD that marginalises the whole debuff. Both was tested personally on preview, as Storm pillar was a very convenient AoE at-will with short spamtime for boss fights, so I had high hopes.

Edit: I need to retest the Barovian set, it works strange.

However, with the Apocalypse, it's actually harder to find people who has it, than those who don't, because the artifact, so until the Day of the DM rolls around it's quite a safe bet, especially for ToMM purposes. But even chopping down for 3 people, multiplying the personal benefit around your team is just obviously better now. Yeah, it would be better if someone who does not DPS would wield it, but... if the healer just cannot get it, you have to have the burden.

As personal DPS set on CW, it always shifts with the particular upsides of the endgame content, but for ToMM it's Arcturia:

It's averages well enough, but, more importantly, the buff applies when you are bursting through the phase 2-4 and the other sets catching off in the averages, which is not entirely the best approach to make sure you complete the trial. It frontloads the most damage too, which is much more helpful. Also, it gives you more HP and stats to balance around and HP is significant.

Also, by the same perspective, the Orcus set is highly more useful when you are getting into the Phase 4 and the HP difference is the highest, but that's the time you get into the DPS check. However, in that moment, Arcturia actually does better because the time restraint.

I tried the tales set and maybe will be giving it one other try, but the set effect was pretty underwhelming, it couldn't even reach 1% of my damage chart on ACT. Also, giving the +1 stats feels very underwhelming considering that only like 4 stats affect your damage, on CW the melee does not count and the Charisma is marginal. And the arcturia set gives the +2 Int... Not feeling it, but also not discarded it and I advise you to keep it as well if you have it.

For Infernal Citadel, yeah, the new set is specifically designed to be the best there (after Apocalypse imo), but that dungeon does not seem to justify in difficulty to be geared for separately. Also, because the 85k stat requirement, Orcus will be almost impossible to justify against Arcturia. Or Lostmauth, the thing I forgot to mention in ToMM (because haven't bothered to test it). The loss of power from the music box even helps, because you will be more caring to balance your stats into the high gaps, while trying to keep the journals or other, low stat gear. Even the Apocalypse might be hard to fit in with those gaps, but it's worth to try.
    Post edited by theraxin#5169 on
  • aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User

Edit: I need to retest the Barovian set, it works strange.

Last time I tested it reapplying after the duration ends usually works. If you start casting while the debuff is still up on the target it sometimes (or always?) doesn't want to apply.

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Another viable option is to use the Storyteller's artifact gear... so that you can use Atropal artifact actively in place of Envenomed journal. The Storyteller gear is lower IL than the new set and its set bonus is only equal to 1% damage increase, but it provides about 1% additional damage from the attribute gains.