test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why scale a level 80 character to level 80?

mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
edited February 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
When you do lomm in random q level 80 characters get scaled to level 80.

This means:
  • stronger players get nerfed to prevent them from helping weaker player
  • Weaker players that are above item level loose precise resources (Less POWER) since they are using mod 18 gear and not capped on all stats
  • unnecessaryresources are being used to put unneeded strain on server.
I know BIS players are saying it is an old dungeon why does it matter ..... well not all see it as an old dungeon. this is why people say BIS only players are only ones that matter.

Again why scale a level 80 character to level 80 in level 80 dungeon?

@nitocris83 @cwhitesidedev#9752

EDIT: Remember they do not scale you to level 80 if you standard queue why do it in random queue. or why not scale in standard queue too ? really makes no sense
There are more than BIS players in this game
RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

Comments

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Because Random queue is where the fun begin :)
    mynaam said:

unnecessaryresources are being used to put unneeded strain on server.

loled at this one

• tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    mynaam said:

I know BIS players are saying it is an old dungeon why does it matter ..... well not all see it as an old dungeon. this is why people say BIS only players are only ones that matter.

Who is saying that? Any Player ive seen speak about that thinks its dumb. Wheter they have the best or the worst gear.
    Cant u make an argument without bringing your usually BIS vs non BIS hatred into it?

• motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Trying to blame this one on some "bis players" is not helpful.
    I don't know any bis-player that advised the devs to scale LoMM.

So, having said that:
    - I don't think it is a good idea
    - the reason why *Cryptic* might have done this: keep "old content relevant"
    - the above reason would make sense, if the rewards of old content were relevant as well
    - relevant means: same as the (mid-level) rewards of the latest mod

Currently, the system is set up in such a way, that old rewards remain in place for ever.
    This means the rewards become less and less relevant, whereas scaling ensures that the content remains "as hard as when it was first introduced". At least this is what the devs told us, what the intent of scaling is.

Its not a good idea. It hurts new players progression.
    - Either you allow progression to follow its natural course: Old content becomes easier over time, old rewards become meaningless.
    - Or you implement a system that ensures that *both*, the rewards *and* the gameplay remain "relevant" (whatever that means)
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Trust me, NO ONE was saying to scale LOMM, let alone BiS players. My last redq I got lomm, and every single person besides myself had less than 120k power (the healer had 87k, while the two other dps had 100 and 117). Completely unfair to every single person in that group to scale down stats that are low-to-average even further, making success more difficult, and requiring a whole lot more of the burden to be shouldered by those high-stat people. Not a single BiS person said this was a good idea. And just to note, unless you bought the extra zen pack for this module, there are NO dungeons that are not scaled to play atm ( at least until monday). So bad idea all around to do this.
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I will add my two cents. I have always felt even on day one of doing my first dungeon that drops in a dungeon are just worthless. When I hit max I learned the idea run dungeons for AD then randoms came but the idea did not change. Then I realized To much unrefine AD and drops are just as worthless now as they was years ago when I did my first dungeon. So scaling gets added but drops in dungeons are the same? This may not confuse most but it sure does confuse me. Sure make dungeons relevant is fine but at least make the drops given for the time put into that dungeon relevant as well.
    Do not just increase the amount of AD given because AD is not rewards or at least not the rewards I am talking about.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    My theory is they have automated the process of scaling and now triggered by the new mod, Lomm has become scaled even though it shouldn't be. They even claim in the Patch notes that they have fixed the over nerf scaling for Lomm but they haven't activated that fix for random queue. I believe as always, its intentional because to them rough ad needs to be time forced. So if you can run lomm faster it ruins their rough ad reward time frame. So to prevent this, they scale you to weaken you.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Basically they are future-proofing the content.

Mudflation happens in all mmorpg's since the players demand new and increased quality gear with each mod. This leads to old content being slowly outdated and too easy. With mod 18 max IL on gear jumped from 1000 to 1250.

In particular in a small-resource game like NW keeping content usable in the face of mudflation is important, since they cannot replace content fast enough to keep up with the mudflation.

By scaling the content the dungeon difficulty will remain more or less constant as game moves forward with ever increased IL and increased caps.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

With mod 18 max IL on gear jumped from 1000 to 1250.

And the gear is mostly pretty much pointless outside the new map area - because most of the new bonuses cannot compare to the previous generation. When every item is scaled down, in 95 % of game content you are better off with not upgrading your equipment.

The game design is based on continuous investment in our characters, but actually punishes us whenever we try to evolve. No surprise the chat is full of +Apes.

• badnickname#3262 badnickname Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I‘m glad that someone started this topic. Currently, item level is downscalled to 24k. If our item level is higher than this value, we are penealized. Our stats are downscalled significantly, those are my normal stats in PE (my item level is 25 390) without any consumables, and downscalled in lomm.
    PEand-LOMM-scalling
    I have lost over 8k Power. Even artifacts are scaled down. Environment Storyteller Journal gives me 9,3 AP instead 20, but of course I still need 1000 AP to cast daily.

Same thing is with my paladin, I have lost 23k Hit Points because of scaling...
    And now I’m asking, why should I spend resources to upgrade my character, companions, buy expensive stuff if they took away that what I earned. I would like to see progress in character developing. I can imagine that scaling could be not bad solution in level 70 dungeons, but not in normal, 80 lvl content. I know that The Infernal Citadel is new and won’t be scaled, but I think it won’t be very popular or maybe I’m just wrong.
    So now, there will be only one dungeon where my stats are normal… But there is one thing. I'm going to show you an easy way to increase our stats. We have to just decease our item level below 24k. I unequipped my necklace and belt. My item level has dropped to 22 990, but stats looks good:

Zrzut-ekranu-15
    (I have Tenebrous enchantment in offense slot in necklace.)
    As you can see, there is an inexpensive way to increase our stats in lomm… and other scaled content.
    Please, just make lomm not scaled again.
  • nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    > @autumnwitch said:
    > (Quote)
    > And it is in direct opposition to the heart of D&D which is completely set on progression as rewards. If I meet a level 10 skeleton when I am level five it should be a very hard fight, most likely I will lose. If I see the same skeleton when I am at level 20 it should be toast and very easy to defeat. That is the whole point of a progressive system is. If they don't want that then just remove levelling all together and give us stock characters because that is what it feels like.

It is direct opposition to dnd rules and yet it is super funny how they changed the whole game because they wanted to stick to dnd rules completely allegedly.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    If LOMM is scaled there is no reason for me to play it at this point. I busted my butt to get stats good enough to play NOW they penalize me for spending AD and Zen to do so? With many characters BTW, then why should I spend a cent for MOD18 if you are just going to punish me for spending money?
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts