test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has Vallenhas Got Harder?

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
SO I admit my playstyle can be lazy, standing toe to toe fighting mobs, standing in red spots, general laziness.

But all of a sudden my 25kiL Barbie needs healing pots and gets stomped in Vallenhas last couple of times I have logged in.

Has it got harder, do the mobs hit harder, anyone else noticed this?

My playstyle hasn't changed by the way.

Comments

• motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    Difficult to say. I found it not really easy from the beginning with my 21k barbie.

Not quite sure if I like it or not.

Compared to previous mobs, where you could pull everything, this requires a more careful approach.
    Still OK, but wonder how many players with less than 20k IL (and non-optimal stat distributions) "enjoy" it.
    They probably will get butchered ...
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    Hard to say, honestly. I don't think so, but that is just personal opinion. Have you equipped some of the new gear? Maybe Poisoned Leathers of Rage which increases power by increasing dmg taken, there is another I can't name off the top of my head that directly trades 20% health for 3% dmg increase.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Re-summon your companion. I had similar impression like you when my ArPen dropped to 30k and other stats went along. It was just a companion that refused to work correctly.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Honestly to me after yesterday's patch it seems to have gotten easier. My 27.9k cleric can quickly solo most of the SHEs, even Preyed Upon (unless there is one of those lizard demons) without any need of pots. But again it may just be arbitrary to class, and not a true gauge of what is happening.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Depends on what you aggro. The Glabrezu are worse than the lair bosses and the Hezrou (those lizard - toad demons) are worse than that. The cultist, shadow demon, hellhound type groups aren't so rough.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Depends on what you aggro. The Glabrezu are worse than the lair bosses and the Hezrou (those lizard - toad demons) are worse than that. The cultist, shadow demon, hellhound type groups aren't so rough.

I'm glad that the zone mobs aren't total pushovers. But yeah, those Hezrous can be super nasty, especially if they get the jump on you.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    No, they are not a push over. I need to use "non-traditional" way to fight the boss in the solo content. My toon is not good to do toe-to-toe anymore. They made Health Potion great again.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nevernixnevernix Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    nevernix said:
    Me? No, I have just arrived the new area 4 days ago and hit the first week campaign quota for 6 toons.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    I think many people have gotten lazy because the Undermountain gear made you nearly invincible for other content. What we have now reminds me of when I first started NWO. You have to "play smart" and put in a lot of effort to succeed. I like it.
    edited February 2020

I think many people have gotten lazy because the Undermountain gear made you nearly invincible for other content. What we have now reminds me of when I first started NWO. You have to "play smart" and put in a lot of effort to succeed. I like it.

I have the same feeling except certain tricks that worked in that era do not work anymore. I really want my Cleric to bounce the war party over the cliff. No, it did not work. I also have a feeling about counter strike ... I needed to use a wall to help fighting/living. :)
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

SO I admit my playstyle can be lazy, standing toe to toe fighting mobs, standing in red spots, general laziness.

But all of a sudden my 25kiL Barbie needs healing pots and gets stomped in Vallenhas last couple of times I have logged in.

Seems like it. Last week was fairly easy. This week I've pretty much burned through the remains of a healing stone and quite a few res scrolls.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Seems like it. Last week was fairly easy. This week I've pretty much burned through the remains of a healing stone and quite a few res scrolls.
    Thanks for this and the other answers. No I haven't put any new gear on [Rusty Legs for example] re-equipped companion and bondings etc

Still seems much harder, first few visits I could solo the Glazebrau fairly easily on my c22k Fighter, now it owns that toon big time. Im using healing pots again on my main as well.

I wasn't complaining by the way, its nice trying to NOT draw the mob groups, like playing early Soshenstar River all over again. Its kinda fun again
    I also think it is more fun for me personally. The Glazebro fight is non-trivial and if I aggro one other groups of mobs I have to watch my health (can go down to 20-30%), two other groups of mobs and it becomes really difficult (a single mistake can kill you).

Having said that, I worry a bit for the new and unexperienced players.
    Some will love the challenge, other more casual types will likely sit it out.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    One thing to consider as well, there are subtypes of monsters with varying strengths. IIRC some Glabrezu have 3 stars and some have 4. They have different adjectives in front of their names, like Savage, Feral, etc... so if you just see a Hell Hound and attack, it may be stronger than you think.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    So I remember when I started this game I reached level 70, got a few boons, then ventured to the well of dragons. I got my HAMSTER handed to me every which way I turned. The new mod is not as hard as I found well of dragons back in the day but it presents challanges for sure!

To be honest, I left WoD after that experience and didn't go back for several months. That was the games way of telling me to get the other boons leading up to this content first and to learn some strategy! When I went back I had no issues finishing it.

I'm in the new zone on a pile of toons ranging from 20k-26k and have no issues with the content! But, it's not Dread Ring where you can kill a mob in 1 swipe. You actually have to carry out a battle here, which is a good thing. I should be able to STOMP Dread Ring, it's old content. Screw scaling. But new zones, no way. No one should be able to stomp this stuff until there's next mod new gear released making it easier!

To directly answer the OP question: I don't find it any harder or easier. Right from the beginning I had to use stones and scrolls on my 24k Barb if I caught both mobs in the small HE by chickens. If I played smart and picked them off I was fine!
    edited February 2020
    It has been a long time for my character to get behind a wall, a cart or whatever to breath for seconds so that my encounter and health potion can cool down. I'm not complaining. It is kind of fun.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Perhaps I am a weirdo, but I am able to pull these mobs and let them hit me (without using pots / stones)
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
    finmakin said:

Perhaps I am a weirdo, but I am able to pull these mobs and let them hit me (without using pots / stones)

Good for you :-)

Guess you are talking about your Justiciar Pally?
    With the right insignias, companion boni and stats Justiciar Pallies are beasts ...
    Maybe not the fastest killers, though.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    finmakin said:

Yeah in "tank mode" with a decent tank I can take on a whole bunch of mobs.

But it takes so long to kill them that rolling my face across the keyboard gets tiring ;)
  • grumpyjeansgrumpyjeans Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Well since they did the maint like last week, the mobs themselfs have been buffed they do slightly more damage and are more resistant, just watch some Videos of before last week and this week you can see the same build the same rotation of people playing and the Mobs are hitting harder and lasting longer ( i know I know thats what blah said) even I tested this with sync and yep sync reports back a 11% increase in time to kill a mob 1vs 1 so its safe to say cryptic buffed them a little.
  • b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    I've noticed I'm much more squishy too.. I used to be able to run through and fight whatever I wanted and not really need to heal myself.. but this week I've had to use my stone of health in the main new zone quite reg when in mobs.. Figured they changed something or did something to the barkshield enchant..