test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spiked defender vambrace and Barkshield bug

apollo#5199 apollo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited February 2020 in Bug Reports (PC)
As you will see in the video below when a player has both barkshield and Spiked, the 2nd buff from the gloves (+x% damage) won't activate until barkshield stacks are consumed. That causes the gloves to not function as intended, as in many cases the player can stay in a prolonged period with the reduced damage only and never activate the damage buff which is the main reason many players want those gloves.

In the short video below you can see me entering combat with 5 stacks already active from spiked gloves, and even tho I get hit from mobs several times the defense buff remains while bark shield icon is on. After the barkshield stacks are consumed it functions properly and switched to damage buff.

Here for any additional information you might need and thank you for your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CljtSJtyBU&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• skpalantirskpalantir Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I think this is right - the damage resistance buff is consumed only on taking damage, but not shielding this damage. Because of this tanks can use this gloves to reduce damage while shield is up
  • apollo#5199 apollo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    It's definitely wrong.

First, the gloves work as indented with Paladin blue shield and yellow temp hp so it's not a general issue with shielding. It only gets affected by barkshield which absorbs damage for you and it's a different function than shields.

Second, the glove description says "when you are struck" and not "when you take direct damage" or anything else that would indicate it should work differently.

Keep in mind we are talking about the spiked defender and not the shielded defender which have the opposite function which I assume is needed for tanks.

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Consuming the barkshield charge means you do not take damage. Even for dismount. So, you can ask if it is intended or not, but it is nothing new and actually consistent with behaviour in another circumstances.
    If it works different way than you wish, it still can be the intended behaviour.
    edit: "Whenever someone attempts to deal damage to you one charge of Bolstered Bark is consumed." See the wording?
    edited February 2020
    I understand what you are saying @rikitaki but the gloves state.. when you get struck , not when you get damaged (shielded or not) and not that the damage has to be a certain % of my hp or anything else so it's not about what I wish but how it should function and what people understand when reading the description (and yes I know about the tooltips in the game).

Either the gloves have to be consistent with other shields and temp hp too (Paladin DC etc) and not ONLY the barkshield enchant, or it's not functioning as it should when used with barkshield. It can't be both ways.

Regardless, if the devs say it's working fine the tooltip should change to "when taking actual damage" or something and whoever is using those gloves will use something else.

Either way we will know the truth (hopefully soon) :)
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

I understand what you are saying

No, you still do not - what I was trying to say is that the barkshield is rather independent, disconnected from your character - even for dismounts it does not count to YOU "being hit". So it is consistent.

But hey, that might be a bug as well. =) I seriously do not usually know what is intended and what is not. Generally it is hard to tell apart a systematic bug from WaI as any logic was lost through the constant evolution. This game has a lot of effects that are not quite as simple and intuitive as one would wish.
    edited February 2020
    You can name barkshield as independent but it really isn't. It's not functioning on its own and it can't be independent of the player that uses it. Barkshield starts to function when I get hit (strucked) not before or after and same should be for the gloves if you think about it.

As to what is indented, yes there are some cases that no one can be 100% sure apart from the developer that created the "function" as to how it should perform or not, but in several cases we can apply common sense and reasoning as to how some things should function, and so when an item states "when you get struck" it doesn't mean "when you get damaged", and tho the two can be considered as cause and effect they are not the same.

Barkshield prevents me from getting damaged (losing hp) and not from getting hit and so it should not be a condition (and actually the only condition at least as far as my limited testing goes) for the gloves to be activated or not. If the gloves had issues with other temp hp and shields too I would consider it as intended function but still would ask here nevertheless if it should change or if it was an oversite.

Regardless, the topic is only about the gloves / barkshield interaction and not about intentions so I think it's best to stay in topic.
    Post edited by apollo#5199 on
    @nitocris83 I hope a small bump is ok, so this won't get lost since I forgot to tag you.

Thank you for your time.
  • serpeer#6400 serpeer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    @nitocris83 , after months, can we have an answer?
    Thank you.
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

...we can apply common sense and reasoning as to how some things should function, and so when an item states "when you get struck" it doesn't mean "when you get damaged", and tho the two can be considered as cause and effect they are not the same.

This pretty much sums it up, but that might just mean they take the "easy" way out, and change the description on the Spiked Defenders...

Really? I mean seriously? It's common logic among players not to use barkshield with spiked defenders because the way they work is absolutely fine so barkshield prevents spiked from proccing. Jesus, people, get over this, if things involve logic so many people just freak out... They're better fix actual bugs in the game *rolls eyes*

what a troll
    we just ask for an answer, if this disturb you so much, use YOUR LOGIC and just don't read
    they have hundred of mayor bugs to fix, we all know and we ask a fix for those bugs but it's the first time I see I can't ask for an answer for something don't work as the description
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    Please listen carefully, so that you understand, because @rikitaki was quite right. The barkshield enchantment prevents you from being hit at all. It works this way while mounted, preventing the accumulation of hits before being dismounted, until the shield is bypassed (through one big hit, or multiple smaller hits).
    It does work independently from battle, as the stacks start to accumulate when it is equipped, not when you enter battle or get hit. You also do not need to expend ALL the charges, simply take any amount of dmg over what the barkshield can absorb in a hit(I do this all-the-time as a barbarian with bloodletter).
    The reason no one from the dev team is answering is that it is working as intended from their perspective. That being said, a response would be nice, just to have it on the record and not have to have this conversation again.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Confirming what others have stated - Barkshield absorb prevents the player from getting hit by design, so if Barkshield is active you aren't getting hit to trigger the Spiked defender pieces.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    These gloves were made to order for the GWF Blademaster, as the class has an encounter power (Bloodletter + Bloodspiller) that manages to activate the bonus. It was one of the solutions along with the change in the damage formula that tried to balance the class with the DPS classes that managed to execute ToMM.

I think the damage to be absorbed by Bark and not activate would go against the tooltips of the items.