test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Do You Keep Doing This Cryptic?

krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
So you launch a mod that is running nearly two weeks now and for that time players have been grinding out Chaotic Writings and Seals. So there are many players who have a stockpile of Chaotic Writings. Then you reduce the number which punishes players who are just now arriving in the new content. Then you reward those first players again by reducing the price of the bags changing them from 300 to 100. So they have a stockpile of 2000 Chaotic Writings and now have so many bags. You are punishing players who are arriving late. Not only that but they have to spend 3 Times as long getting the same amount of scripts as the previous group did.

The proper thing would have been to realize your mistake and leave it as it was. You constantly punish newer players by making drastic changes like this that imbalance the progression of the late arrivals. You have repeatedly done this every mod. I can name several occasions when you make a change that makes it harder for newer players to accomplish the same task.

Isn't this what the Preview server is suppose to do? Shouldn't the Chaotic Writings drop rate of been switched before Mod 18 went live?

If you think I am crying about the nerf, you are wrong. I am arguing on behalf of the new players who are now having to do three times the amount of work as the veterans who have been grinding out the new content. I am arguing for fairness. It's an insult to your newer players who are just now getting into the new content.

You constantly create this divide of the player base because of changes like this.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The first wave deals with bugs. I could be the first wave but I decided not to so that I can start with a cleaner version.
    I don't feel bad or lose about it. First wave takes the risk and have a better reward. I personally am okay with it.
    By the way, mod 18 was launched last week, on Jan 21, 9 days ago, a week and 2 days.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I not always agree with @krumple01, but here - sadly - I do.

It is a repeating pattern. Same actually with the legendary mount fiasco on the first day.

The game always hits live with "features", that allow the players on the top of the food chain to make a load of "money" (and this mod requires you to be on the top of the food chain to survive landscape, not even talking about killing the mini-boss in the campaign dailies).

Cryptic then finally realizes this after the pockets of the early players are filled to bursting. Then they come out with a "fix", saying that the features that they actually programmed "are not working as intended" (as if they did not know the value of the rewards they chose in the first place). The overall effect is to punish everyone who comes late. The players that come late are the new to mid-level players, that are still struggling to improve their stats and that - from a non-darwinistic point of view - would need the "money" most. The rich get richer, the poor fall more and more behind (relatively to the rich). Not sure if this is intended. Seems to me that it will make the cash cows (those that pay real money, because the need to improve their toons is largest) leave in larger numbers than intended.

EDIT: Same as @krumple01, I am not crying for a lost opportunity. Was in the new mod from the very start and hit the weekly cap on the campaign currency on day 1. Didn't farm the ape, however (was just to boring), but could have. Also knew from past experience, that the nerf hammer would come. Still did not farm the damn ape.

I am not top of the food chain, but near enough. The point is, that we need some catch up mechanics for new players, for the long term health of the game. So there must be some, that have the interest of the new and mid-level players in mind. They are highly underrepresented on the forums anyway. [there are some guild leaders that speak for them]
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I ran my Warlock last night after the patch. Did the weeklies and Devil's Hold Glyphworks unlock as well as five repeatables. Also did Ape when it spawned in my instance.

Previously, doing this yielded about 1200 currency, so 4 bags. After the patch, it yielded 890, so 8 bags and a 9th would have been easy to farm. It is hard to see that as a nerf.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    I dont feel punished. Just the opposite.

I feel good because before I had to farm 3 encounters for 1 bag and now I have to farm 2.
    Only some players that didnt spend their Chaotic Writings are the ones who benefit the most, but in any case you or someone is punished.

Is common in this game to write "im punished" "is a slap in the face" when something changes and some players get more benefit than others.

Cmon move on and enjoy your faster farm now.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    jimmypdt said:

I would like to disagree slightly. The cost of Juma's pack went from 300 to 100. The APE BHE went from 100 to 50 chaotic writings. So before it took 3 runs of the APE to get a pack from Juma, now it only takes 2 runs. The Siege BHE didn't change and still give 100 chaotic writings so only one run for a pack now instead of 3. Their was no change to the amount of chaotic writings you get from quests in the zone. The only nerf was to the Minor HEs dropping from 75 to only 20 chaotic writings. All in all this is going to help new players when they join the zone, not hurt them. They will be able to get packs faster then what we have been able to do the last week.

Now there was a nerf to the amount of AD you got from the packs. But if you are running around in the new zone then you should be able to complete the daily Randoms which will net you about 110K-135K RAD. And it would be faster than grinding out for the packs.

This looks like its a bigger help to newer players than hurting them. The only players that really benefited from this has a small stock pile of chaotic writings. But that would have been only a small amount of players.

All the best,

OPTank_

Thanks for putting this into perspective.
    Might have overreacted initially (in conjunction with the leg mount glitch).
    Yeah, compared to the nerf hammers we experienced in the past, this was a rather moderate nerf.
    Maybe the changes wrought by the new EP are taking effect after all!?

Anyway, I guess I am more annoyed that the pattern of
    - "release with issues"
    - "patch later"
    persists.
    I realize however, that changing a long-term behavioral pattern will take time ...
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Well, before the patch 5 bags would mean at least 25k rAD plus items, after the patch 5 bags mean most of the time 0 rAD and a few useless potions... so, what would be the great improvement here? That i can get the new worthless bags faster? Or that i have to wait for some RNGesus blessing to get at least some rAD from them?

And i actually prefered my daily Vallenhas routine (i only did the "ape" when it popped up in the instance i was in) for rAD over the bot infestation called random queues.

Anway, feels like Barovia and the hunts deja vu...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Yeah I kind of guessed they would nerf the bag contents. It was obvious from Day One with the +ape spamming.

Am I annoyed?

I would have been a while back, but a new mod comes along with better stuff all the time, so I stopped chasing BiS way back after River District
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I am so indifferent about this. The bags are cool'ish. But you still can only refine 100k.
    So about the RAD aspect... Even if I had 2000 writings, the only thing that would have happened is that I would've got a lot of chickens and some backlog.
    So. About the gear? Yeah, color me underwhelmed, cause even if I had those 2000 writings, I probably would not even get the one piece I want as a transmute.

I am with @callumf#9018 on this. This mod, I finally got what my friends have been trying to teach me all along.. Lean back, watch it happen, log off if it gets too bad.
    - bye bye -
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    greywynd said:

I'd like to see all the various vanity pets capped at "once per character"; if you have one, you'll never see another unless you delete one.

Yes please x 1000000000000000
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    > @malheur2080 said:
    > (Quote)
    > But, but, there have to be trash in the bags or they have to do new droprating for the items in the bags. Look what they have added to ME's bags. Close to impossble to get the best items out of them.

The drops for Zok boxes have been soooooooo bad ever since they "improved" it with all the green comp gear... It is just another way to RNG our asses to keep doing it every day, cause ... "I still need that!!"
    Thats something we clearly have to see imo when we spend that extra time on writings and MEs.. The lost time not spent on something else.
    - bye bye -
  • jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User

jimmypdt said:

I would like to disagree slightly. The cost of Juma's pack went from 300 to 100. The APE BHE went from 100 to 50 chaotic writings. So before it took 3 runs of the APE to get a pack from Juma, now it only takes 2 runs. The Siege BHE didn't change and still give 100 chaotic writings so only one run for a pack now instead of 3. Their was no change to the amount of chaotic writings you get from quests in the zone. The only nerf was to the Minor HEs dropping from 75 to only 20 chaotic writings. All in all this is going to help new players when they join the zone, not hurt them. They will be able to get packs faster then what we have been able to do the last week.

Now there was a nerf to the amount of AD you got from the packs. But if you are running around in the new zone then you should be able to complete the daily Randoms which will net you about 110K-135K RAD. And it would be faster than grinding out for the packs.

This looks like its a bigger help to newer players than hurting them. The only players that really benefited from this has a small stock pile of chaotic writings. But that would have been only a small amount of players.

All the best,

OPTank_

I don't understand how the nerf to the minor HE's is helping the new or player like me, who avoid this lagferno on the +APE area and just want to go solo or duo or just joining a short fight at the minor HE's between the Boss spawns?

The nerf doesn't help anyone. That's why its a nerf. But when I cover something I try to cover all aspects for a fuller picture for people (the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly).

All the best,

OPTank_