test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

50% Nerf on Arcanist?

aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
Wizard: Arcanist

Chaos Magic now has a 5% chance to trigger, reduced from 10%.
A Step Above Mastery now grants 0.5% damage per stack, reduced from 1%.
Arcane Presence no longer grants 5% Recharge Speed.
Chilling Presence now grants 0.5% damage per stack, reduced from 1%.
Storm Spell now has a 20% chance to trigger on crit, reduced from 30%.

Was it really necessary to nerf everything by 50%? A trifle excessive?

Comments

• dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 321 Arc User
    I don't understand this either, already asked when it was just a planned change. Apparently it has to do with Arcanist being OP in PVP. I still have to see if it really affects my damage, I think I only used Chaos Magic and A step Above Mastery from those, and storm spell of course. I think damage will now be a little less reliable and step above mastery is the biggest one for me.
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Add to this I just logged in and all my stats have been reset, I am sick of this S$%#. Was that really necessary devs? Was it not a better idea to just give me the choice as to whether I wanted to reset or keep it as it was despite any changes. Why is it everytime you nerf a class or do your re-balancing we go in and have to do all the work and start from scratch and re-build our characters. Are we all supposed to have it all written down on a piece of paper somewhere so we know what boons were where and how to put them all back again? Honestly, I am sick to death of this circus of going back in and finding all my powers reset and having to start all over again, it makes me feel like leaving after mod 16 was a good idea and I should have just stayed there and not bothered coming back. Well congrats, you have managed to make me feel like S$%^ again and I have no inclination to go back in for the time being and re-create my entire build from scratch. Well done. You can go without my VIP membership this month as a penalty.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    The reset was due to a bug with Boons being fixed, the respec was necessary so that most players would not have to spend a retraining token to fix boons. Unless ofc they didn't mind what ever the 3 extra points the devs removed.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    Since they removed 3 boons, they had no choice but to reset your boons choice - they could not just remove 3 of your selected boons.

They could have done a more limited boons only reset though.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    They didn't remove 3 boons. Where did you get that idea? Julia stated a while ago that the boons capped out at 67. The fact that several of us had 70 points listed as spent, does not, in fact, mean that we had 70 boons.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    All I have to say is WOW! They nerfed the Arcanist so hard, my Thurmag... Thermal... Thursday... my Elementalist felt it.

I had Shield on Tab key and that really sucks now. I was always, hit Tab and forget it. Now I am at a loss as to what to put there. All my ice and fire spells work fine but the one and only arcane power just blows chunks. I thought when I was hearing people say the Arcanist was getting nerfed, I wasn't going to be affected, boy was I wrong.

I really don't understand where the developer's head is at when they make decisions to reduce stats on any class. Monday morning meetings must be something like; I had lousy weekend and I am in a very bad mood... what character class can we nerf this month? I don't see anything positive about moving in a negative direction.

Worse yet, the "shield" has no presence, as it did in the past. The transparent bubble was good, now the animation looks dumb, like nothing happened. There is only a small highlight on the health bar. The highlight is suppose to be 30% but looks like 20 or 25%. The icon doesn't change either, so people who used this power for 7 years (like me) will miss this power.

wb-cenders.gif
  • bigdragon#4214 bigdragon Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Finally lol XD
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

@ dillygirl ..... pure conjecture !!! apparently ? according to who ?

It has nothing to do with the anarchist cw in pvp omg LOL (had you mentions shield you may have had a point)
    its thier combined dev data from Cw performance in pve trial and end game content across the board .

" Apparently it has to do with Arcanist being OP in PVP"

where is the quotes from Devs / threads and data supporting this comment ?????

people try to blame pvp for everything ..

IKR... much more likely they nerf'd it cuz it was over-performing in TOMM :heartbreak:
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

@ dillygirl ..... pure conjecture !!! apparently ? according to who ?

It has nothing to do with the anarchist cw in pvp omg LOL (had you mentions shield you may have had a point)
    its thier combined dev data from Cw performance in pve trial and end game content across the board .

" Apparently it has to do with Arcanist being OP in PVP"

where is the quotes from Devs / threads and data supporting this comment ?????

people try to blame pvp for everything ..

Nah... just those not playing pvp.....
    Those who do play pvp blame pve for anything....

And since this game mechanics cannot separate both of those realms.... well its inevitable, and unfortunately on many occasions correct....
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    ON all my runs they are still top DPS so not sure what the complaint is?
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    greywynd said:

They didn't remove 3 boons. Where did you get that idea? Julia stated a while ago that the boons capped out at 67. The fact that several of us had 70 points listed as spent, does not, in fact, mean that we had 70 boons.

I definitely had 70 boons. Infact yesterday I lost a few HP after selecting back my boons, as I have less points in one of the HP boons. Not a big issue honestly and if it was a bug it was a bug and it was right to fix it.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

When a class overperfom by 6%, nerf it by 50%, that's the cryptic way.

Then go to the top of tree, see what class is there, state that it overperforms the others by X, and nerf that one too. Rinse and repeat.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    > @gabrieldourden said:
    > (Quote)
    > I definitely had 70 boons. Infact yesterday I lost a few HP after selecting back my boons, as I have less points in one of the HP boons. Not a big issue honestly and if it was a bug it was a bug and it was right to fix it.

67 were supposed to be the maximum number of boons. Some people got 3 extra when the system got redesigned for mod 16. I don't know where the error was, but all of my characters who had finished the campaigns through mod 14 (I avoided 15 campaign) had extra boons and got reset. The ones who had only a few campaigns, Sharandar, Dread Ring, Underdark, Maze Engine, retained their builds yesterday. I heard that the bugged campaign was Tyranny but no way to confirm that.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User

> @merik1999 said:

> ON all my runs they are still top DPS so not sure what the complaint is?

Your runs are as relevant as the birds flying south in the winter.

Who knows what you can do, who were your party mates and so on..

Meh, I believe its nothing. As does all others who do not play CW. I think you are crying that instead of 1 million damage you are getting 990k damage. The only real Nerf was to TR at Mod 15. CW's are crying over nothing... As usual.
  • acrylia66acrylia66 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Sounds like world of warcraft, they nerfed it soo much that I left it.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    It wasn't a 50% nerf to overall damage output, that would require a lot of testing to pin down the exact number.

However it did reduce the potential for AoE in Arcanist by making things more random in quick fights. In a long drawn out battle the odds will play out and again, will require a lot of testing to figure out exactly how much of an impact all the changes actually have in those situations.

Wizard's AoE was already HAMSTER, now it's worse, the problem is that Wizard has no real AoE build atm. If they had gone a different route in balancing the Arcanist by increases proc rates, but reducing magnitudes and buffs, for example on SS, that would have been more reliable in AoE situations, and played out as a nerf in ST depending on how much tweaking they did, but they didn't do this.

I still need to test thaum but my initial thoughts are thus; the AoE potential on Thaum might be a little better for trash mobs using the bug that allows 2x proc of Directed Flames (but that will change), and I want to see how thaum does in ST with Rhimefire Weaving and a few different combo's of feats.

• corsair#6764 corsair Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    And they STILL haven't fixed Steal TIme. :(
    (Although it does seem to be happening for my char less frequently - but that's purely anecdotal.)
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    The nerf is very noticeable in single target, cant say how much but it can be a 20% more or less. Need to try new things. We will find a way to stay relevant, as allways.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    I feel for you guys, but nerfing and buffing different classes with no reason is usual in the game. It is standard policy in most mmos.
  • broadsword5203broadsword5203 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    My wizard Thaum used to be able to complete an expedition in Undermountain. Now I'm constantly being killed by huge mobs of monsters and can't keep up. Too bad the developers decided to destroy the wizards. :(
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    You ever get the feeling the Devs just don't like the player base, like at all? Cause I am really getting that impression.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    bpstuart said:

You ever get the feeling the Devs just don't like the player base, like at all? Cause I am really getting that impression.

...What took you so long?....