test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Stardock Lockbox Legendary Mount Pack Issue

Comments

• werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 335 Arc User

I know it is too late (and I guess it was not possible to address and code shortly), but I would have suggested to make bta the pack obtained during the timeframe, and give in addition 10 vip keys to the people who won the leg pack.

So actually reward people that may have exploited this intentionally?
    No reward people that may have got a legit stardock pack if everything had been WAI. So they keep the mount but cannot sell it (so the economy is not broken), and they can gamble again with 10 keys.
    As the stardock lockbox is very recent, everybody is presumed innocent.

• originalsin#4257 originalsin Member Posts: 47 Arc User

What you get should be: you may be punished and you may be able to get away with it. The keyword is "may".
    The question to yourself is: Do you want to take the risk of losing of what you have built for?
    There is nothing to be confused about. You may be punished. Do you want to roll the dice to find out?

I did not start with morally if you should do it because it seems your priority is if you would be punished.

Because hiring actual humans are too expensive so Cryptic uses a pseudo random number generator and a switch statement. If people buy enough zen, they will eventually upgrade to a neural network.
  • mickyce#8848 mickyce Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    for the umpteenth time anyone who has had "luck" or has exploited a glitch has benefited from it, the others can go to ... people who have dropped 3 legends... And yet the game will be unbalanced in favor of the smart ones.
    the speech is not even remove the legend because you can not know that he was smart, the problem is how he managed to go live such a bug ...

GZ all developers
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2020

kain#8743 said:

Even the premise you introduced that there was nothing lost was contradicted by the sentence you brought up at the end, in brackets: the people lost the opportunity to get a legendary mount.

So for you, missing an opportunity is equivalent to losing something. I supposed our points of view and "philosophy" are divergent. Fortunately, i'm not so depressed in life compared to how much i have "lost" because of missed opportunities.

If I take your example, what about if the day you didn't play, every one who bought a ticket at 14H00 get automatically a winning ticket, is it fair ? Yes we lost nothing, it's cryptic who lost another chunck of our trust.

It's fair, 100% of the winners had tried their luck, as always. But i agree it isn't really helping Cryptic reputation ;).
    kain#8743 said:

Firstly, it was not a lottery. No one knew "for sure" what was coming. The lockbox case was reported over a week ago on preview, who in their right mind have thought it would go live? It wasn't a scheduled, announced event.

You are a mom of 4 kids. You take 2 of them with you to go the supermarket, which open at 9am, because you need to go shopping for next week food. The 2 other kids stay home with their dad.
    While you are in the supermarket, paying the cashier, a super unexpected thing happens : an employee gives to any kid one free Action figurine or one Doll (depending on what they prefer). You recognize the employee, you know him, he was fired multiple time from multiple jobs because he wasn't working as intended.
    But it's too late, your first kid has already take one GI Joe. Your 2nd kid, sly as a fox (and not very honnest), has already manage to trick the employee and to get 5 GI Joe.
    Security guy suddenly evacuates the customers and closes the shop.

On your way back home, the radio announces a fun fact : an employee, name "the bug", has just been fired 15 min ago, caught giving away toys to kids without any agreement of the shop he was working for. Shop manager declares "it's ok, kids can keep what has already been distributed"

You are back home, and few minutes later your 3rd kid starts crying loudly. You enter the playroom where your 4 kids are. The 1st one is playing alone with his new GI Joe and is taunting your 3rd kid. The 2nd kid is sending texts to his friends, trying to trade his 5x GI Joe for some pricey transformer figurines. The 3rd one is screaming that life is unfair, he also wants a new action figurine and he hasn't got one so none of his brothers should have one. Your 4th is just playing with his "old" toys and doesn't really care about the drama.

As the mother, what do you do ? (roundhousely slap everyone is not an option.)
    Morality and ethics would dictate either
    1. the responsible parent should have kept the child in check and only taken 1 toy... thus removing the consequences of the employee becoming unemployed and maybe even educating said employee in the wrongness of their action.
    2. the responsible parent would educate their child in fairness and sharing ensuring all siblings were able to benefit with a free toy.

I can only assume your post intimates that those who abused the bug are irresponsible and selfish children.. and that the devs (the parents) are inattentive ... you are probably right.
    Nice and quite onspot reply. ;). You got my "agree" on your post :P.
    Only missing one thing, one morality to this story : I assume quite a lot of the players are adults (let's say >18yo), but we sometimes play this videogame and behave in or around it as if we were children (and I obivously include myself, from my 40yo...), whatever kind of children we are, bully, cocky, selfish, crying babies, attention kids/HAMSTER, jealous screamers, spoiled kids, little machiavel, sermonizers or anything.
  • darkzod#9528 darkzod Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    If people have received a mount more than once, they may not keep all of them. That would be really conscious exploitation of bugs.

I do not understand how to transfer a reportet incident / bug from the preview system to the real system. It was discussed extensively in the forum
  • drago#3250 drago Member Posts: 190 Arc User

I play about two months. I read about the glitch on Preview Server Forum. I read about the MASS Bans with Ravenloft. That's why I decided to stay safe, don't risk a ban and play legit. I did'nt using the glitch. Now I feel like biggest HAMSTER knowing of this glitch and not using it. Do I have to enter a glitch group? Is it guaranteed in future not being banned for using glitches? I am totally confused. That was reward for free worth more than I earned in my two months of play, just on click in seconds. Fairplay = HAMSTER. That's what I get about that issue.

What you get should be: you may be punished and you may be able to get away with it. The keyword is "may".
    The question to yourself is: Do you want to take the risk of losing of what you have built for?
    There is nothing to be confused about. You may be punished. Do you want to roll the dice to find out?

I did not start with morally if you should do it because it seems your priority is if you would be punished.
    Yes. If I had known not to get punished, I would have used that glitch. It's 12M AD for free?! And if it's not punished it seem to be okay. Yes I feel get punished for playing fair play. I got nothing. You say it. "May" It's to much RNG in this game. Now it's RNG too to get caught cheat or not. The fair players got punished. I don't like this mindset.
  • archanarchistarchanarchist Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2020

I play about two months. I read about the glitch on Preview Server Forum. I read about the MASS Bans with Ravenloft. That's why I decided to stay safe, don't risk a ban and play legit. I did'nt using the glitch. Now I feel like biggest HAMSTER knowing of this glitch and not using it. Do I have to enter a glitch group? Is it guaranteed in future not being banned for using glitches? I am totally confused. That was reward for free worth more than I earned in my two months of play, just on click in seconds. Fairplay = HAMSTER. That's what I get about that issue.

yeah i found out about the AD duping on AH weeks before they stopped it but didnt join in because i 1 already had CO and STO accounts but 2 didnt want to cheat my way to the end so to speak, all i got was some health stones that are still taking up a account bank slot a ugly cape and a title lol

so i know kinda how you both feel, i also know that cryptic response will follow little rhyme or reason or have much of a semblance of a graded response based on severity

but, i think it would be unfair to punish people for using a bug that was publicly announced on forums and in bug reports to devs, weeks before it went live and was put out as a 'working' feature, for 5 mins only for a emergency freeze on box and logins, then hrs of log in issues (some people still cant get a server handshake)
    at the same time its unfair to people that chose not to exploit it or who where prevented from 'accessing feature' by cryptic after a chosen few received multiple legendary mount packs at close to 100% drop rate

as i said in my other post, the best bet for them is to hand out a legendary mount pack to everyone in mail.
    because the nerf's/adjustments that come in tomorrow along with inevitable new bugs/broken keys powers and functionality emergency fiddling causes
    whatever old ones they cant fix in a few hrs(maybe most)
    followed by the next DT thats needed to deal with those/try to stabilize rocking ship
    is not going to leave a happy community
    already causing sparks in guild/alliance as to who got them who didnt, who chose not to.
    Add to that the inevitable patch/nerf/new mod complaints modules that rework most or all classes come with,
    the list of critical or semi critical bugs, as long as my arm
    they could easily lose as many people as they lost over lifesteal changes.
    plus theirs no guarantee that a NW like MMO doesn't come out to rival NW before they decide to come bk.
    i know i only came back a few weeks ago(lmao timing right) after leaving to play CO and city of heroes again when they removed life steal
    https://imgur.com/gallery/dSL1MfQ
  • brandemisbrandemis Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    why they dont just pick up the legendary mounts and end this discussion?
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2020

well it happens every mod,
    why?
    because they hire developers that can't code, have no idea what they are doing, they don't listen to players who are testing the game and issuing warnings. then they panic when it screws up, and say how embarrassed they are about the whole fiasco.
    but little gets done, because they are already working on the next mod.
    now if i was paid to do a job, and did a crappy job, people would expect me to correct the work or refund monies paid.
    so how about from now on, when the devs screw up, they just return the salary they took for doing a HAMSTER job?..call it an incentive scheme to promote an idea most work places have -its called 'right first time'

I actually don't think I blame them for the shoddy programming. I was reading a thing recently about how a small game released his code and was getting flack for how poorly written it was, but then bigger names were jumping in and saying, listen all games are like this. it's basically bits of string and logs that somehow magically come to life if you look at it with your eyes squinted just right. in this case you have what, 6 (?) years of code going on. by many different devs over the years I'd reckon. imo the bigger wonder is they manage to keep it working at all. My husband is a dev (not a game dev but a dev) and I've heard him complain about the nightmare old code that has been worked on by many people with varying writing styles and trying to get them to conform and bugs that come up and gum up the system because of this or that blah blah blah.. (i start zoning about about here) but I look at the complexity of games compared to the stuff he works on and it really seems like it must be magic.
  • stonerwstonerw Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    sagitar said:
    This is preview, right?

• drakkon5drakkon5 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 43 Arc User
    Oh well, count me as one who was watching the whole thing while laughing 🤣 I have 20 VIP keys at that moment and I didn't use them because let be honest I won't be able to sleep well, it feel wrong to do that, I even had time to write in alliance channel 😋 I only want to say this> I'm on #TeamStupidNoLegMount because I don't want to earn my 1st leg mount because of a bug (playing since May 1 2013) also it's true that Devs are the one at fault here, that's a bug who was reported a long time ago. Now the thing I'm worried about is that it looks like I'll never win a legendary mount because from what I've been reading so far, my RNG is different from other players, I guess it's not that I've bad luck but that the lockboxes work that way. I was hoping for a rollback so no one will feel bad about it, of course I know there were players who wanted to play the new mod and that there were players who were logging in earlier because of the exploit, so it'll hard to do justice, no matter what I hope the Devs could find a "good" solution, so no one will be mad... also I propose a Free Legendary mount for everyone, so no one will feel bad because of this bug 🤣 Have a nice day.
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User

Well, experience from Cryptics earlier work means I'm gonna save some keys for the console-release and log in early. Profit!

And like huntgate, console players will get banned because they won't get the same leniency due to weeks of advanced knowledge of the situation.
    That's assuming they don't fix it before we get it on console.

I would kill for even 1 10k power mount, but my rng has been such rubbish lately, that I've stopped playing lockbox lottery, and am just focusing on the game...
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User

well it happens every mod,
    why?
    because they hire developers that can't code, have no idea what they are doing, they don't listen to players who are testing the game and issuing warnings. then they panic when it screws up, and say how embarrassed they are about the whole fiasco.
    but little gets done, because they are already working on the next mod.
    now if i was paid to do a job, and did a crappy job, people would expect me to correct the work or refund monies paid.
    so how about from now on, when the devs screw up, they just return the salary they took for doing a HAMSTER job?..call it an incentive scheme to promote an idea most work places have -its called 'right first time'

I actually don't think I blame them for the shoddy programming. I was reading a thing recently about how a small game released his code and was getting flack for how poorly written it was, but then bigger names were jumping in and saying, listen all games are like this. it's basically bits of string and logs that somehow magically come to life if you look at it with your eyes squinted just right. in this case you have what, 6 (?) years of code going on. by many different devs over the years I'd reckon. imo the bigger wonder is they manage to keep it working at all. My husband is a dev (not a game dev but a dev) and I've heard him complain about the nightmare old code that has been worked on by many people with varying writing styles and trying to get them to conform and bugs that come up and gum up the system because of this or that blah blah blah.. (i start zoning about about here) but I look at the complexity of games compared to the stuff he works on and it really seems like it must be magic.
    As A cnc programmer/machinist I can't stand walking into to someoone elses old program. Especially when they didn't bother to leave any notes, or draw in the fixturing...
  • qwregtqwregt Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    i dont see them doing the right thing while given out me or anyone a bta legendary mount with keys and vip that didn't exploit the broken box cause all i see them doing is not making anyone happy and i dont think that's rights for how i have alwayed played the game right so come on cryptic do the right thing
  • lipbulllipbull Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    Do nothing is not ok - i heard about people getting 1-30 or more and this on only "one" account so the only meaningful solution is a rollback.
    Maybe give the mount from the hellpit event to everyone (char- or accountbound) and all is fine.
  • drago#3250 drago Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Well. Much time passed now. Let's face the truth. Nothing will happen. It's unfair and it is a shame that honest players left behind with bare hands - but it is not a Game-Breaker to the masses. I congratulate all winners. It will be a Game-Breaker not to be treated the same way and keep all at the next bug party. Make sure you have 10 Keys ready in every moment. We missed here a big one, that's hard. Hopefully we get the next one.