test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CDP Topic: Game Content Accessibility

Comments

• lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    This looks like a great start, and I look forward to more transparency and working hand in hand to make an even better game.

But I do have a request:
    Seeing that "Progression and Rewards" is the Next CDP topic and is something of a spin of: "- We will be making existing content more relevant to players across the board with some rewiring of rewards,activity's and progression."
    Can we please get some better info prior to or at the start of that CDP with the current loots tables/ the number of total loot tables managed by the team, this would help inform prior to starting that topic and allow the community to stay a bit more focused.

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer

This looks like a great start, and I look forward to more transparency and working hand in hand to make an even better game.

But I do have a request:
    Seeing that "Progression and Rewards" is the Next CDP topic and is something of a spin of: "- We will be making existing content more relevant to players across the board with some rewiring of rewards,activity's and progression."
    Can we please get some better info prior to or at the start of that CDP with the current loots tables/ the number of total loot tables managed by the team, this would help inform prior to starting that topic and allow the community to stay a bit more focused.

Let me check on that and get back to you. But yes probably.

Thanks Lordaeolos,

Chris
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer
    micky1p00 said:

A general question:

How it is planned to go from here?

I mean that there are a lot of topic even in the summery, and their implementation, and scope can vary differently. Will there be a discussion per topic? A drafted ideas posted before the start spec is closed?

IMO a lot of the development teams ideas, goal and targets were/are understood, and the more significant disagreement or disappointment was usually in the details of the implementation (due to deadlines, limited resources or whatever reason). There are many ways to solve each problem, and the results can differ greatly, some will be loved, others will be a disapointment.

To add to the things above, with limited resources will we get a "vote" of the scope and at what price some things will be. Seems that there is a lot there on the list, and many things can be refined more and more but it will come at the cost of other things, perhaps the community will agree to compromise on one way of implementing something over another if it has huge difference in Dev time commitment and will allow some more better implementation of another item on the list.

TL;DR: Do we get to see/say/feedback on the ideas of how the issues above are done before they are finalized and implementation begins? If so how it is going to work?

Hi Micky,

I cover that in the post:

The CDP discussion will help inform the work moving forward and no doubt we will be reaching out for further info, questions and/or thoughts regarding certain topics. We will do this on streams, through mini CDP topics, in some cases calls, emails and of course re-reading and discussing specific posts from this CDP. And we will keep everyone up to date on the progress in these areas both through communication and the preview server.

We will engage and collaborate as much as we can.

Thanks

Chris

If you manage to get half of this done you will be my hero :P

We are going to do our very best and we will be in communication all the way through this and past this year in regard to how we evolve the game.

Chris
  • icekoob#9523 icekoob Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    What about slottable equipment bonuses? We could break down weapons like in skyrim and move the equipment bonus to a new weapon. This could also revitalize the salvaging mechanic with ability points or maybe cubes of augmentation etc. For example pay ad to break down heels of fury and migrate the %3 damage bonus to another newer pair of boots with higher base stats. You could tie this in with armor kits too and make a way to transfer and sell equipment bonuses.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    As the team works through everything remember you can't please everyone all the time. As the players experience the changes, remember the same.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • alleykatealleykate Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Hi Chris

Loved the list and don't take away the legacy campaigns, great way to make keys for dungeons etc.

Sorry I have left it late jumping on here and having my say (real life surgery will do that). One of my biggest issues which does cross over into some accessibility territory is internet connection. Being in a island off another big island called Australia, we typically are always 1-2 seconds behind the game play, last to load in to dungeons etc. The effect of this is bad for game play when you create content like Tomm that is spamming constant attacks. This is one of the biggest reason as a veteran casual player since the start of this game, I and a few other guildies have not bothered to go there. Being those crucial seconds behind makes a big difference when attacks are constant or attempting to kill mimics in Lomm, running from the ice in FBI. Add that we are also awake during the quiet times which as also limited out access to end content. Doing 30 training runs is not my ideal of fun either for one dungeon when there could have been a normal version to learn it with.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to all of us, just not the streamers and those that constantly hit the forums.
    Guild - Fair Dinkum 2.0
    Part of Team Tredecim of the Cloaks Alliance website
    https://cloakalliance.wordpress.com/
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

P.S: Our next topic is Progression and Rewards.

What is specifically meant by "progression" and "rewards"?

Both have a broad enough definition that can be interpreted wildly and "narrowing" the topics specifically might help keep things on focus.

For example, does "progression" refer to character building?
    Story progression?
    What items should be paced where?
    How to gate enemy stats versus stats/items naturally acquired through the course of leveling/campaign?
    How fast we go through campaigns?
    How to give lost/overwhelmed players a nudge of "go do this if you have no clue what to do next"?
    Etc.

Same thing for "rewards", what specifically about rewards would you want us to give feedback on?

The random chances of drops?
    The actual drops/items in the loot roll?
    The AD rewarded upon completing a dungeon/skirmish/trial/etc?
    The obsolescence of 98% of items in the game?
    The design of the risk and reward of items?
    Etc.

• burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    In terms of accessibility, one of the things that helped bring together all players of different progress levels was buffs/debuffs provided by support classes and dps classes prior to mod 16. In the past a support character could help buff allies, who otherwise would not have been able to get through content. Also the debuffs on enemies helped allies survive, where otherwise they may have died. By removing buffs and debuffs it has made it tougher, if not impossible, for support characters to help players with less progress get through content. It used to be possible to even build a dps class with a support build. These support builds on dps classes allowed lower progress players to be able to contribute to a groups success. Not having support feats and builds on dps classes makes it tougher for newer players to get into groups to run content that will help them further progress and build their character up to a place where they can build towards being a pure dps.
  • burnahbros#7516 burnahbros Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    alleykate said:

Hi Chris

Loved the list and don't take away the legacy campaigns, great way to make keys for dungeons etc.

I agree with this and love Legacy Campaigns!
  • darthbbqdarthbbq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    - Refinement of early game communication systems allowing more freedom for new and existing players to play together and communicate.

Concerning this objective, I would like to share how the Dark Age of Camelot MMO implemented a solution to address this problem after it had been out for several years. It was a pretty simple really... All new players were automatically added to a "starter" guild as soon as they entered the game so they could ask other players basic questions like "how do I do this or that?".

With Neverwinter's guild player limit, this might not be a feasible option but all new players could be added to their own new Chat Channel to accomplish the same goal.
    Guild Leader- Fair Dinkum 2.0

• arkai#8115 arkai Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    How yu plan to implement your playerbase. Atm playing ppl is not high as be4 barovia. Yu have some idea? Mostly endgamer just figure as active because they just run in few minutes for daily vip? This is 1 of most important think yu hv to solve i think. On playstation4 idk population but i can see is very low on europe time.
  • fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User

There are many ways to skin a cat (-:

OY!

Joking aside, very curious, and nervous, by what you mean about streamlining the 1-80. The recent butchering of early story elements (mod 15 I think?) was not great. I've always really loved the leveling zones design, do what you want, skip what you don't, lots of story and the zones take 1-2 hours to run through.

To double down on what has been stated above, I'll be very impressed if you get through even a phase one of half this list, given how much the content release frequency and quality has dropped like a stone since Mod 14. Though as one of my favorite tongue in cheek in game titles states, "Hope Over Experience"
  • tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Hi Fireside,

Disclaimer: no cats were skinned in my previous post or plan to be in development of the game moving forward.

Awww. You could had at least let some of us remain hopeful that you would.

I wanted to ask, is something as simple and easy to implement as a poll [To gauge how significant changes affect players.] out of the cards?

I say because I am certain that you have your own metrics, but I have asked more than twenty long-term cleric players and the universal response has been that playing cleric to them has simply stopped being fun with recent changes, as they feel that group content barely asks anything of them now.

And while I am certain that twenty long term players are just a drop in the bucket of the entire server, I wonder if in all this talk of transparency and making a healthier meta and team composition, streamlining content and relevancy, there can still be room to something as simple as asking players if the changes once put in place are making the game more, or less fun for them.

Also on this,

- Guild quality of life and profession/systems evolution (This is something we are discussing. We will update with more info later. We are still in the process of prioritization and therefore I am not sure how much work we can do on this at the moment).

By the Throne, make decorations make more of a difference! Make them affect event combat in any way, give whatever little an edge (Added weapon platforms?), or at least make the areas that you decorate areas where you actually do something more than stand around. NPC hubs in the inner hall, extend the area that can be decorated to the entire stronghold, anything!
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    @cwhitesidedev#9752
    May I suggest something? This will maybe get you out of the development hell loop.
    I'm not sure how many developers work on one function, eg new mod - 4 people map/texture design, 2 people campaign + story, 4 people mechanics and 2 in QA - that's how we used to do it but we're fairly small, and we weren't very efficient.

Point is - systematization. If you can distribute work as much as possible, so only one person works on one thing, another person on another thing - basically the roots of a flowchart and work from ground up with one person handling one task, and no mixing as coding in these cases can be absolutely horrible.

I'm also not sure what engine are you using - and I know that home-grown builds can be great but they can oftentimes lack the sauce like what Lumberyard for instance has. We've had a lot of problems with how our models dropped performance, even though poly counts were fairly low, and we tried different specs and it turned out that overlapping textures were going in some processing loop which made us have to redo our models.

Also, if you're having troubles controlling random distributions and have unhappy players, look into pseudo random distribution. That way you should get roughly similar, somewhat controllable results.

I know it's basic for you at this point, but re-assessing everything from the ground up can help thoroughly. To me it seems that you lost focus during the m13-17 period, arguably maybe since M10/11 when FBI and MSVA were introduced.
    However Bryn Shander introduced a positive change which is challenging content on a huge map that involves lots of players. MMORPGs oughtta be like that.

Toodles, and good night.
    Dori.
This discussion has been closed.