test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stronghold updates

I am seeing a lot of people shy away from being in guilds and also larger guilds killing smaller guilds by soaking up all the players. It is very hard to build your stronghold when the currency needed is from very old mods and by taking that into account it makes for a huge problem because strongholds never regularly was updated with each passing mod and thus all the gear became irrelevant and people didn't want to do anything to help the guilds anymore.

Where if with every mod the stronghold should have been updated to this would have kept people coming back and putting forth effort to build it. Now people just make guilds to use as extra banks because it is a lot cheaper than buying zen and purchasing bank slots. I propose adding currency from all the mods that have been released since strongholds was released to relieve strain on smaller guilds also to add a vendor to sell vouchers to donate to your stronghold by using stronghold marks to purchase these ACCOUNT bound vouchers also making it easier for smaller guilds to progress and it would give people more reasons to grind an donate for marks.

As of right now stronghold boons are locked behind very very long builds for smaller guilds and people shouldn't be forced to join large guilds if they don't want.

Also before anyone starts complaining about the voucher system you can still sell the ones you acquire from boxes too because there will be people who buy them either because they ran out of marks and need to just a small bit of donations and they don't want to wait or they don't want to grind at all and just prefer to spend diamonds to get them.

This is for those guilds with basically less than 50 people in it really or thos 15-20gh who have had a huge drop off in player leaving the game and need extra help to keep growing.

Comments

• wurmschwanzwurmschwanz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    We built our stronghold with round about 15 people. It's about effectiveness and not about farming, farming, farming. People have to use their brain more and take advantage of events.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    You are correct the SHs are a mess right now. Part of the reason is that they are not a Zen sponges and to fix them it will require a lot of work (read a time and money). The devs seem to be short handed at the moment as well.

All that being said, I do believe there was a dev who stated they plan of giving the SHs/Guilds some love in the future.

My only problem with them at the moment its the shard requirement issues are so unbalanced.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Get rid of guild boons or limit them so that its not a major loss to be in a lower guild and it would make the game great. Lots of people myself included stay in dead or toxic guilds only because the max boons. I was in a lower guild just to donate some stuff and they were all very relaxed and team oriented. Unfortunately if i stayed with them the boon loss would cripple me.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Get rid of guild boons or limit them so that its not a major loss to be in a lower guild and it would make the game great. Lots of people myself included stay in dead or toxic guilds only because the max boons. I was in a lower guild just to donate some stuff and they were all very relaxed and team oriented. Unfortunately if i stayed with them the boon loss would cripple me.

No. Just no.

It's your choice to stay in "dead or toxic" guilds for max boons. I don't understand people that stay in guild only for max boons than proceed to whine about it. Leave the guild and join one you like better. It's a choice you can make. Or go help build one of those "relaxed and team friendly" guilds that you seem to like and put in the work to max them out. Or don't worry about max boons so much. So many options.

• tharealcuber#2975 tharealcuber Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Main problem is that lots of players only join for the boons and do not contribute to the progress of the guild. They do not want to join a lower GH guild because they won't get max boons.
    That way the grind to grow bigger and get bigger boons gets even longer and harder.

Having said that, it is way more fun in a low level GH with nice and active players than having max boons in a toxic guild/alliance.
  • lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    > @bigguy702#4261 said:
    > Get rid of guild boons or limit them so that its not a major loss to be in a lower guild and it would make the game great. Lots of people myself included stay in dead or toxic guilds only because the max boons. I was in a lower guild just to donate some stuff and they were all very relaxed and team oriented. Unfortunately if i stayed with them the boon loss would cripple me.
    >
    > No. Just no.
    >
    > It's your choice to stay in "dead or toxic" guilds for max boons. I don't understand people that stay in guild only for max boons than proceed to whine about it. Leave the guild and join one you like better. It's a choice you can make. Or go help build one of those "relaxed and team friendly" guilds that you seem to like and put in the work to max them out. Or don't worry about max boons so much. So many options.
    >
    >
    >
    > I 100% agree with this, there are plenty of 20lv Guilds leave and find one. You dont punish the masses because of one person.

Lol, we have this garbage mod as punishment due to the whining of the few...
  • elpupas#1655 elpupas Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    last update has ruined the guild essence.
    I'm the owner of a small guild, with a very few players. Our guild is plenty of low level characters below level 70.
    All of them have been very actives working together to make our guild grow till our current 17 lvl.
    With this update, none of them can do anything in the stronghold cause enemies are lvl 80 and players are still below 70.
    we have zero chance to succeed nothing in the stronghold. No more influence for our guild!. In addition, the amount of experience we could get from killing enemies has been dramatically decreased so it's no worth to go to the stronghold to do anything.
    Undermountain only benefits high level characters difficulting, by far, low level chars to progress in game. Maybe it's time to stop wasting money in zen currency and stop playing neverwinter too.
    i'm really sad, because I've enjoyed playing this game.... till now

• midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2019

I'm the owner of a small guild, with a very few players. Our guild is plenty of low level characters below level 70.
    All of them have been very actives working together to make our guild grow till our current 17 lvl.
    With this update, none of them can do anything in the stronghold cause enemies are lvl 80 and players are still below 70.
    we have zero chance to succeed nothing in the stronghold. No more influence for our guild!. In addition, the amount of experience we could get from killing enemies has been dramatically decreased so it's no worth to go to the stronghold to do anything.
    Undermountain only benefits high level characters difficulting, by far, low level chars to progress in game. Maybe it's time to stop wasting money in zen currency and stop playing neverwinter too.

Really??? To level up a character to level 70.... maybe 2-3 evenings? To level up to level 70 to 80 maybe 3 evenings? So where is the problem? If ppl play not everyday maybe MMO games are not for them..... if your approach to Stronghold upgrade is "casual" and not sistematic and well oragnized it is impossible to reach level 20. Stronghold is not for casual players. If there are not casual players, level 80 is a minimum to begin to play NWO.

We can talk a lot about weekness of Stronghold system. No manager pannel, no good group activities (better, usefull group activities). We need a compelte rework to make Stronghold great. But Characters level is not a problem.
  • finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User

Really??? To level up a character to level 70.... maybe 2-3 evenings? To level up to level 70 to 80 maybe 3 evenings? So where is the problem? If ppl play not everyday maybe MMO games are not for them..... if your approach to Stronghold upgrade is "casual" and not sistematic and well oragnized it is impossible to reach level 20. Stronghold is not for casual players. If there are not casual players, level 80 is a minimum to begin to play NWO.

We can talk a lot about weekness of Stronghold system. No manager pannel, no good group activities (better, usefull group activities). We need a compelte rework to make Stronghold great. But Characters level is not a problem.
    It's not possible for someone to reach level 70 in 3 days without proper exp gears/enchants/boons/etc.
    Even if you play for 24 hours a day without sleeping, you still wont reach level 70 in 3 days because the low level quests don't give you much exp as level 80 quests.

Not gonna lie, it's indeed harder to farm influence now in mod16.
    It's so sad that devs didn't thought about how difficult would be for smaller guilds when making stronghold enemies lv80.

Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

• midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User

if we talk about playing for fun in a casual ok way scaling could have created problems but not so insurmountable. The difference is to think of being able to upgrade the Stronghold with few players. It is a road that cannot be traveled in any way given the number of resources and the effort that it takes.

"This gate keeping baloney is why some gamers have such bad reputation. "

What do you mean?
  • antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Gatekeeping seems pretty straightforward to me. A gatekeeper refuses entry to those he/she deems unworthy. Usually people who are not like them. In a gaming context people whose objectives for playing are not the same as the gatekeepers or who fail to reach the standards of play they deem acceptable, usually just a fraction below their own standard of play. So statements about only certain types of players should play strongholds or only certain types of players should play the game at all are gatekeeping comments.

if we talk about playing for fun in a casual ok way scaling could have created problems but not so insurmountable. The difference is to think of being able to upgrade the Stronghold with few players. It is a road that cannot be traveled in any way given the number of resources and the effort that it takes.

"This gate keeping baloney is why some gamers have such bad reputation. "

What do you mean?

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? lol.
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

• beanbagteabagbeanbagteabag Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    So I am the leader of a GH3 that is.... wait for it.... actually trying to grow. I can’t effectively recruit and retain 80’s due to the boon situation.

I have 72 accounts and most have been active within the past 5 days. The rub to me is this.

At lvl 70, I can go to sharandar and obliterate everything there, no problem... some scaling wouldn’t hurt... at 70 in my guildhall.... I do about 100 damage per shot or maybe 500 on an encounter.

So, I leveled my alts past 70, so that I can run influence with my guild mates. Now they try hard to grow our guild, facing repeated deaths in minor HEs only to get thier little 10 shards and a few hundred influence. The 80’s have to help them do it, which is fine, but I am not sure how sustainable this is.

I need the devs to back off a bit on the levels in the SH. I need the guildies to be able to get the job done there in a reasonable way. Scale the enemies down, scale the players up... I do not care. But you have put me at an unfair disadvantage as compared to other guilds in the game.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I get that when you first get into SH at level 70 you can't do much. But it takes almost no time to get to level 80 so I don't see why any level scaling of enemies has to happen.

When strongholds first came out a lot of the players in our guild at the time were undergeared and getting smashed by mobs upon setting foot out there the first time. Not even in heroics. Just a standard mob. We got better. Things got easier.

Now there's a minor level bump that takes a few hours to get to, if even, and the first reaction by players is that the mobs shoul be lowered. How about you just spend a few hours getting to 80 and then its not hard again. Heck, after a week of the new campaign you'll probably have some new gear pieces that will again make it even easier.

I feel for smaller guilds because with the game, imo, losing players left and right, you have to compete with the rank 20 guilds to fill a roster and that's just a losing situation the devs have never found a solution for.
  • athrogate#3634 athrogate Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Even if it is a smaller guild they still would want some sort of guild progression and the solution is to drop scaling in the Stronghold. New players dont have max boons in areas so they cant donate the Frozen and Dark currencies. Now with mod 16 you have to be at least 16k item level with 60K in Arm Pen and Defense for minor heroics so they cant even run influence. Players will just go to the gh20's to get 8k in Arm Pen and Defense and the small GH will suffer. Please drop the scaling
  • antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    16K? We have an 18K plus who tested this and he averaged 20 health potions per influence/heroic run. That is 14g for 400 influence 10 heroic and 10 adventurers. About 10g net if he sold pick ups instead of donating gems etc. Guild activity is down for big guilds because while they can farm content there is no longer any purpose to it. For small guilds there is still the purpose of stronghold progression but the content is either no longer possible for guild members to run or takes too long/costs too much for them to see the purpose as worth the effort.
    edited July 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0AdskXN8Y

Note: i forgot to include boons which i have them all unlocked.
    I have tested with several different dps builds, and so far this one in video did the most dps.

Original Thread: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/13114944

• silverwolf#7884 silverwolf Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    If you have level 70 toons, just run them through Undermountain and they'll be an 80 in no time then you can get the influence that you need.
    I agree that lower level guilds will find it harder to recruit than the bigger guilds with max boons; people want those stats.

If you're levelling a guild and have toons at 80, you can also use the Sybella quests to get the bonus currency; grab the Icewind Dale one to get some extra donations for frozen. Your level 80's will also likely be in IWD for a bit too when they're completing the quests for Sybella so they'll have more to donate (probably on a 'Guild' weekend event).

The shards can be a problem for lower level characters due to the Rank 80 enemies, will organising some influence runs with a T3 heroic in there help to alleviate your issues ?

A big problem that some of the bigger guilds have is that there's no place to donate stuff, Fey, Tyranny, Dark etc are usually all maxxed out in the Alliances, perhaps you could ask in PE if there is anyone who's willing to guild hop into your guild to donate their stuff for the guild marks then go back to their original guild. Maybe this will help to fill your coffers for the next construction project ?
  • awolwarrior#2649 awolwarrior Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    All of the gear you can get in the guilds is horribly outdated.
    What if, instead of having guild and Dragon Flight sets, there were permanent modifications you can grind for with guild marks?
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    Guilds are in a mess.

Smaller guilds struggle to get new players, and often end up being lulled into alliances with high end guilds who want them as a sponge for donations so the big guild members can earn quick GMs. So they end up stuck with half the requirements insta-maxed, and the others (typically Shards and Treasures) barely higher than when they joined. And then after a couple of weeks they get dumped from the Alliance.

I saw a guild recruiting in PE yesterday. "XXXX guild recruiting. L20 all boons, no reqs, just show online"
    They don't even want people turning up at the Stronghold... how does a small guild provide any sort of counter offer to that?

As the game moves into the next phase, those Guild Boon stats will become almost essential to the End Game experience.
    Now, I'm basing this only on intuition and watching how fast the monster stats for the end game queues are going up, and may be completely mistaken in this, but I firmly believe that the intention is to move away from everyone in end game dungeons having capped stats across the board with piles of Power on top; to a point where players need to balance what they have available in order to best achieve their role.
    While not being able to have capped stats ATB, for instance... DPS will need to lose some defensive stats to max their offensive, etc.

This will NOT be the game punishing the players. I believe this is the ultimate goal to iron out the vanilla experience of everyone essentially having identical stats in a Dungeon, and reintroduce the notion of player based decision making in crafting the optimum build for their specific character and play style.

Gradually, even the best BiS players will have to sacrifice points in one stat for optimisation in others.
    That said, Guild Boons will play a BIG part in that situation, and I firmly believe that it will spell the end of the small community-based Guilds who effectively cannot offer optimal End Game content to their members unless something is done to balance it out.

As it stands the thought process for new players when faced with the climb to stat matching end game content is this...
    "So... if I leave this little L8 (or 10, or 16) Guild and join that L20 one that's asking for nothing in return and offers full Boons....I have to do less work, and get more rewards? Hmmm.... let me think..."
    If you have no emotional investment in the Guild, it's a fairly easy equation.
    edited January 2020
    Most of these problems comes down to two issues

1 - Much lower player base in general
    2 - New content being aimed at end-game level players

1 - There just isn't very many people playing these days. I see level 20 Guilds begging for anyone to join them be it their guild or alliance all the time. When there is a huge player base that is actually playing, guilds of all levels can grow really fast but now slow slow slow.

The requirements to build stuff within the guilds requires many people contributing PLUS even if you have the money to actually buy vouchers for example, because so fewer people are playing and opening boxes, the vouchers actually for sale has dropped dramatically. Pre MOD16 (on PS4) if I looked up influence vouchers on the AH there would be more than 400 items posted. Right back around Xmas this year there was less than 50 items posted. This is scary because with lack of players and lack of resources there just isn't anyway even established guilds can grow the way they have in the past.

2 - With so much of the new content being aimed at the elite or at least end game players, people who have been in guilds (who typically don't spend cash or much) feel left behind with nothing to do or face the feeling they will never be able to advance and just give up.

Now whether this is actually true or not, it's how they feel especially now that even the big guilds are having hard times getting enough members to run higher end content consistently to help mid-level players advance.

Before they raised the cap to level 80, everyone in guilds was still running the other campaigns which is where new and mid-level players have to focus on, so it was easier for them to tag along. Now however, with most of the 80 high/end game folks focusing on the new, harder content, even those players who want to run the lower level stuff are increasingly having to do it solo or pugging which as we all now can be a real let down.

• mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The fact that they introduced the Legacy Campaign rewards via Sybella as a means to boost the availability of the required Campaign Currencies is a reflection that Cryptic foresaw and acknowledged that playing catch up at the individual level needed assistance. But we now need that same understanding of how it also impacts Guilds to be acknowledged and some action taken that isn't a hand wave.

There are a number of simple means that could help lower level guilds play catch up, and would not necessarily make getting to 20 too easy.

I'm going to start with three that aren't a big ask, and a fourth that would require more work on behalf of devs.

1. Increase the daily INFLUENCE rates on Stronghold HEs. Add an extra couple of hundred points per character to the base 400 for 5. (And I know... there are other quests that offer a few more, but since people are pushed for time on the actual campaigns, those side quests for a pittance in legacy zones aren't a serious option.)

2. Increase the value of the Stronghold Treasures vouchers. 25 points is next to nothing.

3. Add a PROPER "Treasures of Tyranny" voucher to the Well/Tyranny of Dragons' Campaign tree. We can convert Icewind, Sharandar and Dread Ring existing currencies to a higher total value Treasures purple voucher, but not Treasures of Tyranny. Make this a thing...

4. Add more Stronghold Supplies to Professions. We can graft and create Gems, and Astral Diamond Boxes and obviously Professions resources and what have you, but frankly they're not the real problem. The Campaign Treasures are the problem. Allow us to craft Stronghold Treasures Vouchers of varying levels.

One that I've not really thought through the logistics of would also be potentially allowing Campaign Currencies of the more recent Campaigns to be used to bolster the four that already exist in the Stronghold. For example, (but it's not a properly worked out idea...) use River District on Sharandar, SKT on Icewind Dale, Chult on Tyranny, and Barovia on Dread Ring...)
    But for the love of God, don't come up with a system that, say, reduces costs for existing Treasures, but adds the other campaign currencies as a requirement in a reduced format. Because while that might look cute and even appear easier on paper the cumulative time required to farm ALL those campaigns with regularity would be mega counter productive.

To be honest, my biggest hope for these currencies would be something similar to the rAD for currency feature on the campaign stores. But with a generic "Treasure Voucher" that would have a different value based on which of the 4 you used it in. So if the Guild were fine for Icewind, Feywild, and Dread Ring, but say 400'000 short on Tyranny, they could use River District, Chult Barovian and SKT c urrencies in each of the campaign stores to buy a generic "Treasures" voucher that could be donated to Tyranny...
    I know this is pretty wishful thinking, but I remember a few of us saying back in Mod 16 Preview that Legendary Mount Stat Bonuses were a bit wimpy and could you bump them to like, 7 or 8 thousand... and you went and hoiked them up to 10K... so I know sometimes wishful thinking bears fruit...

I've a few more ideas brewing but those are the ones I think would help and would be fairly workable.
    As far as the Professions idea goes, I'd like to get that suggestion through to someone before the next update to the system goes live, as I expect that to come with Mod 19 and doubt there will be another chance for a serious update for over a year after that.
    edited January 2020

The fact that they introduced the Legacy Campaign rewards via Sybella as a means to boost the availability of the required Campaign Currencies is a reflection that Cryptic foresaw and acknowledged that playing catch up at the individual level needed assistance. But we now need that same understanding of how it also impacts Guilds to be acknowledged and some action taken that isn't a hand wave.

There are a number of simple means that could help lower level guilds play catch up, and would not necessarily make getting to 20 too easy.

I'm going to start with three that aren't a big ask, and a fourth that would require more work on behalf of devs.

1. Increase the daily INFLUENCE rates on Stronghold HEs. Add an extra couple of hundred points per character to the base 400 for 5. (And I know... there are other quests that offer a few more, but since people are pushed for time on the actual campaigns, those side quests for a pittance in legacy zones aren't a serious option.)

2. Increase the value of the Stronghold Treasures vouchers. 25 points is next to nothing.

3. Add a PROPER "Treasures of Tyranny" voucher to the Well/Tyranny of Dragons' Campaign tree. We can convert Icewind, Sharandar and Dread Ring existing currencies to a higher total value Treasures purple voucher, but not Treasures of Tyranny. Make this a thing...

4. Add more Stronghold Supplies to Professions. We can graft and create Gems, and Astral Diamond Boxes and obviously Professions resources and what have you, but frankly they're not the real problem. The Campaign Treasures are the problem. Allow us to craft Stronghold Treasures Vouchers of varying levels.

One that I've not really thought through the logistics of would also be potentially allowing Campaign Currencies of the more recent Campaigns to be used to bolster the four that already exist in the Stronghold. For example, (but it's not a properly worked out idea...) use River District on Sharandar, SKT on Icewind Dale, Chult on Tyranny, and Barovia on Dread Ring...)
    But for the love of God, don't come up with a system that, say, reduces costs for existing Treasures, but adds the other campaign currencies as a requirement in a reduced format. Because while that might look cute and even appear easier on paper the cumulative time required to farm ALL those campaigns with regularity would be mega counter productive.

To be honest, my biggest hope for these currencies would be something similar to the rAD for currency feature on the campaign stores. But with a generic "Treasure Voucher" that would have a different value based on which of the 4 you used it in. So if the Guild were fine for Icewind, Feywild, and Dread Ring, but say 400'000 short on Tyranny, they could use River District, Chult Barovian and SKT c urrencies in each of the campaign stores to buy a generic "Treasures" voucher that could be donated to Tyranny...
    I know this is pretty wishful thinking, but I remember a few of us saying back in Mod 16 Preview that Legendary Mount Stat Bonuses were a bit wimpy and could you bump them to like, 7 or 8 thousand... and you went and hoiked them up to 10K... so I know sometimes wishful thinking bears fruit...

I've a few more ideas brewing but those are the ones I think would help and would be fairly workable.
    As far as the Professions idea goes, I'd like to get that suggestion through to someone before the next update to the system goes live, as I expect that to come with Mod 19 and doubt there will be another chance for a serious update for over a year after that.

That was a great post! Thank you!

The only thing I might add, although it's not a perfect option, is to have a way to purchase vouchers via the Zen Store. Currently you can buy shards there and it seems to make some logic to do the same with campaign currency. I admit this won't be a popular solution but it will certainly help a lot is these times of a lower player base.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

That was a great post! Thank you!

The only thing I might add, although it's not a perfect option, is to have a way to purchase vouchers via the Zen Store. Currently you can buy shards there and it seems to make some logic to do the same with campaign currency. I admit this won't be a popular solution but it will certainly help a lot is these times of a lower player base.
    I've always wondered why the chests of power from the stronghold starter pack are sold separately, but the chest of campaigns is not. It may have made sense in the very beginning, but not anymore.