test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to add the fun back to the game's combat system

abuzittinreyizabuzittinreyiz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited December 2019 in PvE Discussion
Since mod 16 (removal of recovery, many movement speed buffs and damage buffs etc), the combat system of the game became a lot slower. This is not how the game used to be and it shouldnt be like this. Here are some ideas

a) Adding movement speed buffs back to the game : In my opinion, movement speed buffs removal is the main thing that made the combat system so much worse compared to others (CR, ToNG, MSP, CN & a lot more dungeon). Having movement speed buffs used to make us feel like speedsters and it was such a great thing that should be added back to the game. Movement speed buff ideas :

1) Tanks : Whenever you are struck, you and your allies gain 10% movement speed. Stacks up to X times.
2) Tanks : Whenever you are not struck for 3 seconds, you and your allies gain 30% movement speed.
3) Healers : Whenever you cast a healing spell, you and your allies gain 30% movement speed.
4) Universal : Whenever you use a power to control the enemy, you and your allies gain 5% movement speed. Stacks up to X times.

b) Recovery and AP Gain : Some classes have too long cooldown on their encounters powers, some just use them to increase their at will damage. Action point gain is too low. I think healers should be able to grant some recovery speed and AP gain to their teammates and tanks should reduce the teammates' encounters' cooldown by 1 second for every hit you get (up to 1 every second).

c) Damage Buffs/Debuffs : Some fights are just too long and boring with the current combat system. Healers should be able to add some damage buffs to their teammates and tanks should be able to apply increased damage taken debuffs to their enemies. I know some of the encounters can inflict debuffs to the target but they arent enough and they dont feel right because of the uptime.

1) Whenever you generate threat, you apply a debuff on your target up to X percent for X seconds.
2) Whenever you heal an ally, you and your allies' outgoing damage will be increased by X percent for X seconds.

d) Feats/Build Customization : Some of the feats are very useless and you only have 2 options to choose between. Feats trees should be added back too, so we can have some different builds that will also change our playstyle (like trapper and combat pre mod 15).

I know if these changes would happen it can make the class balance even worse but having something fun is better than having something that grows worse each update.
Post edited by abuzittinreyiz on
Tagged:

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    There are plenty of movement speed buffs/bonuses if you know where to look and you cannot have a fair unbiased discussion about it if you do not list stacking sources of it ..

scrolls of fate: movement from the winter festival for starters (Handed out for free !!! or available in the auction house)
    potions of speed+20% movement
    guild food that gives +5% speed (purchasable with guild marks)
    equipment that gives extra speed build right in conditionally (mad mage set+5% stardock boots +10% hairpin etc ) extra speed as health diminishes etc.. there is a +1 blur hair pin that adds +8% at the start of combat etc there are tons of examples ... boots that add 10% more speed when you are under 50% health etc

boon that gives 1% movement per rank
    artifacts that add zones aoe of speed
    pets that add movement at the start of combat
    guild mount movement bonus
    movement insignia bonus +15% stack able many times up to x 5 ,., with diminishing returns
    pvp boon
    aside from class based movement bonuses dodges sprint etc (+10% movement on a cw dodge for example)

i would argue that there are in fact too many sources of extra speed if you know what you are doing .. : d
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • abuzittinreyizabuzittinreyiz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    kalina311 said:

There are plenty of movement speed buffs/bonuses if you know where to look and you cannot have a fair unbiased discussion about it if you do not list stacking sources of it ..

scrolls of fate: movement from the winter festival for starters (Handed out for free !!! or available in the auction house)
    potions of speed+20% movement
    guild food that gives +5% speed (purchasable with guild marks)
    equipment that gives extra speed build right in conditionally (mad mage set+5% stardock boots +10% hairpin etc ) extra speed as health diminishes etc.. there is a +1 blur hair pin that adds +8% at the start of combat etc there are tons of examples ... boots that add 10% more speed when you are under 50% health etc

boon that gives 1% movement per rank
    artifacts that add zones aoe of speed
    pets that add movement at the start of combat
    guild mount movement bonus
    movement insignia bonus +15% stack able many times up to x 5 ,., with diminishing returns
    pvp boon
    aside from class based movement bonuses dodges sprint etc (+10% movement on a cw dodge for example)

i would argue that there are in fact too many sources of extra speed if you know what you are doing .. : d

and none of them increase the team synergy.it was what made the game fun. and even though we have those buffs we are still too slow (example : tomb of the nine gods' stair parts). and well, if we use those gears that boost our movement speed we will have to unequip some good bonuses which might affect some endgame content (like ToMM for some of the groups).

scroll of movement speed : 8k each
    potion of speed : 20k each
    guild food : or other useful consumables?
    equipment that gives extra speed or damage increase gears (or other bonuses that might help you healing/tanking)?
    movement speed artifacts or debuff artifacts?
    pets that have nothing to do in most of the fights?
    mounted, while fighting!? :o
    pvp boon : pve discussion forum
    gladiator's guile bonus, or wizard shift? (only once in like 3 sec?)

and they dont seem like they are worth using... at least in many people's opinion. even if you use them, most of the people wont even be aware that they exist and you will be forced to stay back or change them. but well you can imagine another way to get those AS A TEAM that doesnt cost any resource or something you have to spend...
    the goal is to give healers and tanks an additional job that will make the gameplay significantly funner. it wont cost any resource or replacement in gear/potion sections.
    edited December 2019
    scroll of movement like said FREE or from the auction house or in mysterious fortunes again free from the winter event
    gladiator's guile bonus, is NOT once every 3 seconds it is always on at +75% stamina or more and stacks .
    pets you have 6 active companion pet bonuses excluding the augment pet .. (some of those passive bonuses do have movement at the start of combat as a condition )
    there is a banner artifact that IS a group buff aoe speed bonus
    guild food vendors has items that offer between 1 -5% movement bonus for guild marks
    passive mount bonuses striding / dash of life also give +5-10% movement (Permanent)

more speed on characters power activation only encourage zerging and running ahead thats why the devs nerfed it (in thier mind)
    dark enchantments used to give movement in utility slots if you recall

why do characters need to move faster with 10 - 20 second lonh encounter cools downs to zerg i would imagine
    and what challenging content really needs more character speed anyways ..?

ya the devs redesigning powers from the ground up wont cost anything : D ?
    not that i am against. i lost most of my buffs and utility power my Cw used to offer the group
    so I agree there ..

more speed / movement also = more rubber banding the higher your ping is and it actually becomes harder to control your character ..
    where exactly are players dying and failing mission and causing their party grief cause they were not fast enough ?

you can propose all the cools buff and power synergies and upgrades you want to help clear content faster / make it more trivial ..and the devs will just add more monster hp and difficulty ratings to make it take longer again based on the average group completion time ...cat and mouse .

or just give wizards to cast haste as a power lol
    Post edited by kalina311 on
    not saying i have the best solution's either but at least a player reading this can at least find options that currently exist in the game to make himself faster / increase movement
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

Arcane Empowerment is as close as you can get to Haste at the moment.

So... problem sorta solved?

:p

edited December 2019
    rjc9000 said:

kalina311 said:

no the op wants to add extra bonus movement /ap gain whatever to classes so we can finish "fun" 2-3 year old scaled content faster : D ..((example : tomb of the nine gods' stair parts) and have run away power creap and problematic power interactions again
    and apply it to cleric and tank powers only (not saying they should stack or not but imagine the new meta if they did 2-3 dps buff and haste dc and 2-3 tanks + dps whatever ) back to mod 15 ..2 dc 2 gf party all over again ...

abuzittinreyiz said "I know if these changes would happen it can make the class balance even worse "

exactly so we agree then + 1
    edited December 2019
    kalina311 said:

scroll of movement like said FREE or from the auction house or in mysterious fortunes again free from the winter event
    gladiator's guile bonus, is NOT once every 3 seconds it is always on at +75% stamina or more and stacks .
    pets you have 6 active companion pet bonuses excluding the augment pet .. (some of those passive bonuses do have movement at the start of combat as a condition )
    there is a banner artifact that IS a group buff aoe speed bonus
    guild food vendors has items that offer between 1 -5% movement bonus for guild marks
    passive mount bonuses striding / dash of life also give +5-10% movement (Permanent)

more speed on characters power activation only encourage zerging and running ahead thats why the devs nerfed it (in thier mind)
    dark enchantments used to give movement in utility slots if you recall

why do characters need to move faster with 10 - 20 second lonh encounter cools downs to zerg i would imagine
    and what challenging content really needs more character speed anyways ..?

ya the devs redesigning powers from the ground up wont cost anything : D ?
    not that i am against. i lost most of my buffs and utility power my Cw used to offer the group
    so I agree there ..

more speed / movement also = more rubber banding the higher your ping is and it actually becomes harder to control your character ..
    where exactly are players dying and failing mission and causing their party grief cause they were not fast enough ?

you can propose all the cools buff and power synergies and upgrades you want to help clear content faster / make it more trivial ..and the devs will just add more monster hp and difficulty ratings to make it take longer again based on the average group completion time ...cat and mouse .

i didnt say anything about gladiator's guile being once in 3 seconds. i said using using wizard shift to get movement speed while trying NOT TO lose gladiator's guile bonus at the same time. there is no teamwork, there is no team synergy in most of the dungeons where you just watch your dps to kill the mobs (playing a healer class will make you notice it easily).

saying again : the goal is to give healers and tanks an additional job that will make the gameplay significantly funner. it wont cost any resource or replacement in gear/potion sections.

"why do characters need to move faster with 10 - 20 second lonh encounter cools downs to zerg i would imagine
    and what challenging content really needs more character speed anyways ..?"

b) Recovery and AP Gain : Some classes have too long cooldown on their encounters powers, some just use them to increase their at will damage. Action point gain is too low. I think healers should be able to grant some recovery speed and AP gain to their teammates and tanks should reduce the teammates' encounters' cooldown by 1 second for every hit you get (up to 1 every second).

these ideas wont create a 4 buffer 1 dps meta like we had in an older meta. it will give healers an additional job rather than waiting for critical touch feat to proc (paladin)/waiting for your party members to get one shotted/heavily damaged to heal them (warlock and cleric). for tanks you will get additional role mechanics.
    you can be fast i know, even though it is not worth, it could be fun but it is not the way we want.

"you can propose all the cools buff and power synergies and upgrades you want to help clear content faster / make it more trivial ..and the devs will just add more monster hp and difficulty ratings to make it take longer again based on the average group completion time ...cat and mouse ."

in a funner way. i dont care about the difficulty, i care about the way we finish it. im not having problems in any content that counts as a challenge atm. even 8 dps tomm

"more speed / movement also = more rubber banding the higher your ping is and it actually becomes harder to control your character ..
    where exactly are players dying and failing mission and causing their party grief cause they were not fast enough ?"

the movement speed bonus is not like 300%. it is like up to 75%.

redesinging? no. it wont cost much manpower to add these changes into the game.

and about the class balance thing i have thought of it again and the conclusion i got to is : the other classes are getting closer to arcanist and warden at single target fights.
    something i didnt say at the very beginning is that those buffs having range. i thought people would consider it but i started to doubt it. imagine if it had a range of 40/50' range. running ahead of the party & dying wouldnt be that much.
    edited December 2019
    kalina311 said:

rjc9000 said:

kalina311 said:

no the op wants to add extra bonus movement /ap gain whatever to classes so we can finish "fun" 2-3 year old scaled content faster : D ..((example : tomb of the nine gods' stair parts) and have run away power creap and problematic power interactions again
    and apply it to cleric and tank powers only (not saying they should stack or not but imagine the new meta if they did 2-3 dps buff and haste dc and 2-3 tanks + dps whatever ) back to mod 15 ..2 dc 2 gf party all over again ...

abuzittinreyiz said "I know if these changes would happen it can make the class balance even worse "

exactly so we agree then + 1
    I know if these changes would happen it can make the class balance even worse but having something fun is better than having something that grows worse each update.*
    and well, pallies and pawlocks can heal aswell.
    edited December 2019
    a few side notes :

for those who dont want to use W on most of the dungeons it is a great idea.
    wont create a scenery where we all are sons/daughters of speedsters.
    the HP of some bosses can get increased significantly (orcus, arcolith etc) while mobs are getting a bit of increase in their hp too to make the playtime of the dungeon same as now.
    the goal of the idea is not to complete dungeons faster. it is to make us faster. if these changes would happen there would be a needed increase on critter HP.
    the things i mention are not like mod 15 system. no one shotting, no 1000 km/h speed.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

something i didnt say at the very beginning is that those buffs having range. i thought people would consider it but i started to doubt it. imagine if it had a range of 40/50' range. running ahead of the party & dying wouldnt be that much.

If you can't survive away from the party... don't run away from them!
  • unq#3642 unq Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    The dynamic of the game is gone. As well as the uniqueness of the character development. The build of each class is too linear. Bring back the dynamism. Give three or more branches of class and +more fits. Give the opportunity to build a unique character.

PS Now it is not graphics that wins in game projects, but the deep meaning and thoughtfulness of every detail.
    Drider // guild "The Wolves" // (GF, DC) = 80к gear+
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Go out and kill stuff. There's your fun in combat.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

for those who dont want to use W on most of the dungeons it is a great idea.

you can press "t" once, then you don't have to hold down "w"
  • groarkgroark Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    zyronax said:

Simply put: Restore the combat system from Mod 15. Jettison the abomination fun-killer that is combat Mod 16+.

Exactly. That's the best way to get satisfied customers and save the game.
  • yethensyethens Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    The changes of Mod 16 destroyed the game. That's a fact. Mod 16 implementation was a completely failure and everybody knows it.

The most important thing for any company is: "listen to your customers". If you don't, you will not succeed.

This company needs to restore confidence among customers. To do so some things must be restored. If you don't want to admit you were wrong by using the word 'restore' then use the word 'change'.
    yethens said:

The changes of Mod 16 destroyed the game.

Fully agree

• methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Mod 16 changes aren't going anywhere, unfortunately. Wait until Magic comes out, then you'll see a similar mechanic behind combat, I'm sure. The Mod 16 changes were not done to benefit the player. They were done so the developers had less to do. No more fumbling over stat spreadsheets per class, no more random stats to contend with, keep players in a perpetual nerf state by adding useless caps, all monsters have the same stats, so you just need to change those across the board once, then modify damage and hit points.

It's incredibly lazy, as a developer.

Everything pre-Mod 16, though, has been removed from the Engine Code. The amount of time and resources required to implement it again is out of the question. The cheapness of the Black Friday sale, the slashing of prices on Expedition packs were a cash grab and Magic is rolling out Beta soon, which means Neverwinter is officially on the backburner as of this year. it's not a cash cow and hasn't been for a very long time.

Cryptic has nobody to blame, but themselves.
    • Restore the combat system from Mod 15
    • Let there be dungeon scaling and difficulty levels
    • Need appropriate awards for difficulty levels
    • Add 80 lv fits to paragon path.
    • don't need new campaign and new boons for at least 2-3 modules
    • just new 5 pl dungeons and 10 pl raids
    PS sometimes you just have to be able to admit mistakes and come back. Take the old best and go forward.
    unq#3642 said:

• Restore the combat system from Mod 15
    • Let there be dungeon scaling and difficulty levels
    • Need appropriate awards for difficulty levels
    • Add 80 lv fits to paragon path.
    • don't need new campaign and new boons for at least 2-3 modules
    • just new 5 pl dungeons and 10 pl raids
    PS sometimes you just have to be able to admit mistakes and come back. Take the old best and go forward.
    Yeah, not gonna happen. Neverwinter is slated for "Maintenance-Only" in the next year or two. After playing Mod 18 on preview, I don't think even Chris will be able to right the ship, so to speak.
  • kamehameha069#8658 kamehameha069 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    zyronax said:

Simply put: Restore the combat system from Mod 15. Jettison the abomination fun-killer that is combat Mod 16+.

I completely agree with this!

Yeah, not gonna happen. Neverwinter is slated for "Maintenance-Only" in the next year or two. After playing Mod 18 on preview, I don't think even Chris will be able to right the ship, so to speak.

Got proof? Or just supposition?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    greywynd said:

Got proof? Or just supposition?

Got experience from working in the industry. Everything they've done the past 3 modules or so only shows they're reducing manpower and have for some time. Look at Mod 16.25. It was a blatant copy of Mod 16. There was little to nothing put into it, but they worked on it for 4 months. They honestly didn't even try to hide it.

All the combat changes didn't nothing to better the game. The fiasco with the additive/multiplicative issue with classes, you don't make a mistake like that with a priority product. Broken feats, broken powers, broken character controllers, broken quests, broken maps, broken dungeons.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they're doing everything they can to reduce their workload, which means they have few resources to put into it. Everything points to them suckling the teet until it's bone dry. Go read their Glassdoor, if you need supposition.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

Got experience from working in the industry. Everything they've done the past 3 modules or so only shows they're reducing manpower and have for some time. Look at Mod 16.25. It was a blatant copy of Mod 16. There was little to nothing put into it, but they worked on it for 4 months. They honestly didn't even try to hide it.

I dont think you can create a trial like ToMM in 1 month like you say. A complex combat with lots of random things with 0 (or near 0) bugs. Maybe you dont play that content, but that doesnt mean it doesnt have work.

Playing a trial withouth bugs was a new experience in this game, and very satisfiying I could say.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User

I dont think you can create a trial like ToMM in 1 month like you say. A complex combat with lots of random things with 0 (or near 0) bugs. Maybe you dont play that content, but that doesnt mean it doesnt have work.

Playing a trial withouth bugs was a new experience in this game, and very satisfiying I could say.
    The argument still stands tho, doesn't it? In order to have enough resources to create Tomm, they had to, you know, call Uprising a Mod.
    - bye bye -
    Anything that adds new content to the game is a Mod.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    > @greywynd said:
    > Anything that adds new content to the game is a Mod.

Yeah thx for the lesson.
    - bye bye -