test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coalescent Ward Price Inflation?

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
Saved up around 500k AD to buy a Coal Ward for 1% upgrade last night.

Went to AH and the cheapest single ward was 713,000 AD!

I am sure I bought one a few weeks ago for about 500,000AD - or was I dreaming this?

Is there a big lack of Coal Wards in game driving the price up?

Comments

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    ZAX rate. It cost 750k AD (600k with coupon) worth of zen to buy a coal ward now. The profit margin is still about the same as when ZAX was at 500:1.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I told everyone this last year when the price in the Zax went up, it would cause inflation on this old thread. Users in that discussion were saying the increase would reduce the backlog. The backlog is smaller but still there and worse yet the wait time increased from 1 day per million to 2 days or more per million on the backlog. This means if the AD waiting to be exchanged will be more than 30 days, if the current backlog is 15 million.
    • Only those selling Zen for AD will reduce the backlog. Players hoarding their Zen will mean longer wait times.
    • Another way to reduce the backlog is to convert the AH to the gold standard.
    • The best way to fix this economy is to remove the Zax altogether and make a better AD store to keep the AH prices in place.
    • I don't use the Zax. Early on in the game I did trade some AD for Zen to purchase my extra character slots. Ever since, I trade in the AH.
    • BoA Coalescent wards can be found on a regular basis in the Celestial Chests you get for invoking 2 coins per day. I find 1 or 2 per month across my 8 characters. This is 44 chests per month, so I am guessing the odds are 50 to 1?
    Champions and Star Trek uses their currency (gold) for the Auction and not the Dilithium / Questionite. They also don't have the Dilithium and Questionite trading at 500 or a backlog in their Zax. Neverwinter is the only Cryptic game that uses uses the crystal based currency for the AH and the only one with a massive backlog. I can buy loot box keys for both games in AH but not this one. The loot box keys are bound on pickup. This one has the AH linked to the cash system. I have said, this was a bad move since the alpha testing.

Please don't necro that thread I linked above, in fact, it might be a good idea for a moderator to close it.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The main source of unbound c-ward is from Zen store. The exchange is now 750 AD to 1 Zen. Nobody sells you c-ward for losing. For 710K AD (comparing with 500K AD in the past), their profit margin is actually lower than before.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited January 2020

I told everyone this last year when the price in the Zax went up, it would cause inflation

Yeah and your understanding of inflation is completely wrong. Changing the cap from 500 to 750 does not cause inflation. The actual true value of Zen is worth MORE than 750 ad per 1 zen. I still think its around 1200 to 1500 ad per 1 zen. This is NOT inflation, its the actual value but keeping it at 750 artificially causes these spikes because the coal wards are another drain on the actual value.

There is inflation of astral diamonds in the game, sure but its NOT caused by the ZAX cap.

Coal wards are actually worth MORE than 750k ad, this price is actually lower than it should be.

One reason the ZAX hardly moves and its over 16 million zen backlog is because a player can easily figure out that exchanging their zen for ad is NOT worth it. This is because zen is worth more than 750 ad. So to use the exchange to get AD is not worth it, you lose your value. You are better off buying boxes with the zen and selling the stuff out of those boxes. You will get the true value of the AD that your zen was worth.

So no one uses the ZAX. The cap should be raised to around 1500. In fact I say they should remove the caps completely. The player market will find the actual true value of zen. Players will pay the amount of AD per zen they are willing to pay. So the market will find a balance of zen's true worth.

If they did this, the ZAX would move daily, there would be zero backlog.

edited January 2020
    krumple01 said:

I told everyone this last year when the price in the Zax went up, it would cause inflation

Yeah and your understanding of inflation is completely wrong. Changing the cap from 500 to 750 does not cause inflation. The actual true value of Zen is worth MORE than 750 ad per 1 zen. I still think its around 1200 to 1500 ad per 1 zen. This is NOT inflation, its the actual value but keeping it at 750 artificially causes these spikes because the coal wards are another drain on the actual value.

There is inflation of astral diamonds in the game, sure but its NOT caused by the ZAX cap.

Coal wards are actually worth MORE than 750k ad, this price is actually lower than it should be.

It is an inflation if the currency used to calculate is AD.
    It is a deflation if the currency used to calculate is Zen.

Using US and Canada as an example, an item made in US is US$1 would be Can$1.30 when it is imported to Canada (if the exchange rate is 1:1.30).
    If the US$ vs Canada $ exchange rate becomes 1:1.40. For US, there is no price increase. For Canada, it is 10 cents different. That 10 cents difference will be calculated in Canadian inflation rate (assuming that item is in its list).

Coal ward does not worth more than 750K AD when it is sold in AH for 713K AD.
    There is an inflation for that one item, Coal ward and anything that is 'imported' from Zen store.
    Almost nobody buys stuff from Zen store without discount.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited January 2020

krumple01 said:

Using US and Canada as an example, an item made in US is US$1 would be Can$1.30 when it is imported to Canada (if the exchange rate is 1:1.30).
    If the US$ vs Canada $ exchange rate becomes 1:1.40. For US, there is no price increase. For Canada, it is 10 cents different. That 10 cents difference will be calculated in Canadian inflation rate (assuming that item is in its list).

This is a lie. They do buy them for 713k. Don't tell me they don't because I constantly check.

The reason why it appears like coal wards don't move as fast as you think they should is because of the structure of the player base. The new players who need them either can't afford them because they haven't discovered ways to obtain AD fast enough or they take the better route of zen market boxes and sell the stuff from the boxes and make the choice to not even upgrade their enchants. Because its cheaper to buy the enchant than to upgrade them. So when you sell the zen store items, you make far more astral diamonds and those players buy the high rank enchants outright.

edited January 2020
    krumple01 said:

krumple01 said:

This is a lie. They do buy them for 713k. Don't tell me they don't because I constantly check.

I am confused. Are you saying C-ward is not sold for 713K in AH?
    If it is sold at 713K, it is less than 750K. Hence, C-ward does not worth 750K.

krumple01 said:

krumple01 said:

I am saying the coal wards are worth more than 750k. It doesn't mean they won't be bought for less. Im saying their value is higher. Selling those coal wards for less you aren't getting their true value in AD.
    edited January 2020
    krumple01 said:

krumple01 said:

krumple01 said:

I am saying the coal wards are worth more than 750k. It doesn't mean they won't be bought for less. Im saying their value is higher. Selling those coal wards for less you aren't getting their true value in AD.
    The value is set by the market. When the market says it is 713K, it is 713K.
    The value can be changed. "True value" does not matter. Market value is what that matters. That is the amount you buy and sell stuff at that particular moment.

For those who bought a bunch during 30% off discount, selling any price above 584K AD is profit.

If one buys a c-ward from Zen without discount, he has to sell that at over 834K to be above breakeven.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Sorry guys and gals, I didn't mean to reopen old war wounds. Here is my point; 1 year ago before the ratio was raised, I could buy most average purple mounts at 130K. Now the same quality mount runs 200K an increase of 70K or roughly 50% which is exactly what they raised the ratio by 50% (500 times 1.5 = 750). For example; Politicians raise the minimum wages to get elected and the workers believe this is going to help them. When the merchant has to pay more to employees, those prices just return to the goods sold. This is reflected in the cost of living index, and it keeps rising. Everything goes up and in the long run it balances back out and you end up with stagnation.

However in this case, back in 2019, the players did not receive a 50% wage increase, so this is called inflation.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited January 2020

Sorry guys and gals, I didn't mean to reopen old war wounds. Here is my point; 1 year ago before the ratio was raised, I could buy most average purple mounts at 130K. Now the same quality mount runs 200K an increase of 70K or roughly 50% which is exactly what they raised the ratio by 50% (500 times 1.5 = 750). For example; Politicians raise the minimum wages to get elected and the workers believe this is going to help them. When the merchant has to pay more to employees, those prices just return to the goods sold. This is reflected in the cost of living index, and it keeps rising. Everything goes up and in the long run it balances back out and you end up with stagnation.

However in this case, back in 2019, the players did not receive a 50% wage increase, so this is called inflation.

I guess that depends on the item you care.
    For the items I care, they were mostly deflated. I guess probably because i am a seller.
    Certain items had price increased and certain items had price decreased.
    There is no CPI in AH. Everyone can only trust their own "feeling" regarding inflation/deflation.

In addition, it also depends on how you get your rAD. Different people has different way.
    Do I get more rAD since they change the exchange rate?
    I actually do for doing the similar thing as before because of other change they made.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

I am sure I bought one a few weeks ago for about 500,000AD - or was I dreaming this?

500K - I think you were dreaming, maybe high 500's like 585K or something.

Wards dropped when there was the Zen sale on, now they will be going up again. I would expect to pay low 700's minimum although I have checked C-ward prices for a while
    edited January 2020
    lantern22 said:

500K - I think you were dreaming, maybe high 500's like 585K or something.

Wards dropped when there was the Zen sale on, now they will be going up again. I would expect to pay low 700's minimum although I have checked C-ward prices for a while
    At this very moment, it is 699000 per and there are around 600 pieces of c-wards in AH at that price.

I guess that depends on the item you care.
    For the items I care, they were mostly deflated. I guess probably because i am a seller.
    Certain items had price increased and certain items had price decreased.
    There is no CPI in AH. Everyone can only trust their own "feeling" regarding inflation/deflation.

In addition, it also depends on how you get your rAD. Different people has different way.
    Do I get more rAD since they change the exchange rate?
    I actually do for doing the similar thing as before because of other change they made.
    What you say is true but there is a way to figure it out.

If you knew the total daily population of players you can figure out the portion that are meeting their daily cap. This would be the baseline of where inflation would start. When there are very very few AD sinks in the game that any player actually uses it means most players are probably spending their AD on.

But regardless of that since we don't actually know the real numbers. Imagine if one thousand players every day meet their daily refinement cap. That's 1000 x 100k which is a hundred million ad pumped into the game per day. The thing is, this only assumes a thousand players meet the cap, its probably much higher than that. But essentially every day a hundred million astral diamonds that didn't exist the prior day is now pumped into the economy. Unless you have any argument that there arent a thousand players refining a hundred thousand rough astral diamonds each day then this alone is where most inflation of astral diamonds comes from, not the ZAX.

What do players really spend their ad on? Do they honestly save 250k or 500k to upgrade companions? because if they do they are wasting their AD. Are they spending it on enchanting stones and marks? Because if they are they are wasting their AD. You save astral diamonds buying the next higher rank enchantment and selling your previous rank. That way you dont need marks or enchanting stones, or pres wards.

Anyways yeah every week seven hundred million more AD is pumped into the economy. The only way that AD is destroyed is if players spend it on companion upgrades, or transmutes, or a few items on the bazaar, or if they happen to want to replenish their morale for their workshop. Other than that, the AD is being traded around from player to player.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Anyways yeah every week seven hundred million more AD is pumped into the economy. The only way that AD is destroyed is if players spend it on companion upgrades, or transmutes, or a few items on the bazaar, or if they happen to want to replenish their morale for their workshop. Other than that, the AD is being traded around from player to player.

AH 10% is the largest sink in the game.
    micky1p00 said:

krumple01 said:

That is true but in the premise of sinks 10% isn't much compared to how much is entering the system each day.

micky1p00 said:

krumple01 said:

That is true but in the premise of sinks 10% isn't much compared to how much is entering the system each day.

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    If you buy Coals off Zen store at base price, turn around and sell it on AH, the break even price is 833k AD.

So if you get it at 700k, that actually is a bargain. Now those Coals most likely were bought with a 30% discount, which makes the break even price 584k, So basically the gains from the discount is split between the buyer and the seller.

There basically are no tradeable Coals available except from Zen store, so it is the Zen->Coals->AD supply chain that controls the price.

The demand for Coals has been low recently since it statistically is better to use Pwards even for 1% upgrades after they introduced the max tries limit. THat probably keeps the price fairly low.

Pwards mostly depends on the same supply chain, and for pwards the demand is much higher, (The free pwards from the Winter Festival upset pwards pricing somewhat). Pward prices are actually slipping up towards undiscounted break even now.
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    The OP is correct on one thing. The price of Coal wards has been going up, it was not that long ago that they were trading in the low 600k range. My pet theory for why is the crappy RNG in the game. People are having to use the max pres wards for the guaranteed success a lot more often than expected.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Hi all

Thanks for posting your answers.

My response would be to remove the cap on ZAX immediately and let the market choose the value much as krumple01 says above :)
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

[...]
    So no one uses the ZAX. The cap should be raised to around 1500. In fact I say they should remove the caps completely. The player market will find the actual true value of zen. Players will pay the amount of AD per zen they are willing to pay. So the market will find a balance of zen's true worth.

If they did this, the ZAX would move daily, there would be zero backlog.

The main reason why they do (and should) not let the Zen<=>AD exchange rate free to adjust itself purely with the supply and demand rule is to avoid wild speculation, market manipulation, and digging an even bigger gap between the wealthiest/oldest players and the newest ones.

Over the years, some people have built big Zen purchase power.
    Though I do not consider myself to be one of those (I started to play in december 2016 and "only" gave a total of 100€ to the game) I'm still getting close to 100k Zen spent during promotionnal sales like black friday/jubilee (growing after each one).

I don't think it's a good idea for the game economy to let people like me able to speculate on a completely unregulated AD/Zen exchanger (and possibly manipulate it) on top of Zen market promotionnal sales to do some mark-up combined with ponctual AH speculations/manipulations...
    So why is it possible to make money on the AD/Zen market?

There are two factors driving it, that I see:

* The availability of Zen
    Many people do not have Zen available when they need it. Many people don't put Zen into game at all, or those that do might not have Zen available at the right time. So they end up buying the items off the AH even if they could have gotten them cheaper by buying them directly with Zen. They could of course join the ZAX queue, but that will take a long time and people are by nature impatient.

So those with money and time to systematically pull Zen off the ZAX is providing a service to the impatient people(Zen availability) for which they get paid.

If the ZAX queue was 0 this opportunity would not exist, and the service of providing Zen availability get more in demand the longer the ZAX queue is.

* The availability of discounts
    The people with long-term operations on the AH always buy Zen goods at a discount. Since most people do not have those discounts available at the time they need to purchase a Zen item, the AH sellers are providing a service by giving people access to discounted goods even when the discounts are not running.

Hi all

My response would be to remove the cap on ZAX immediately and let the market choose the value much as krumple01 says above :)

Remove the cap means the exchange rate will probably move to 1000:1.
    Hence, the c-wards you are looking for in AH will be priced way more than the 713K that you considered expensive.

Based on your posted info:
    Exchange rate:
    500:1, c-ward = 500K AD
    750:1, c-ward = 713K AD
    1000:1, c-ward = ???
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Hi all

Remove the cap means the exchange rate will probably move to 1000:1.
    Hence, the c-wards you are looking for in AH will be priced way more than the 713K that you considered expensive.

Based on your posted info:
    Exchange rate:
    500:1, c-ward = 500K AD
    750:1, c-ward = 713K AD
    1000:1, c-ward = ???
    Please forgive my ignorance but I hadn't realised that the only unbound Coal Wards are only available via Zen Purchases :)
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    kharkov58 said:

The OP is correct on one thing. The price of Coal wards has been going up, it was not that long ago that they were trading in the low 600k range. My pet theory for why is the crappy RNG in the game. People are having to use the max pres wards for the guaranteed success a lot more often than expected.

Considering 1% upgrade chance (using coals in higher upgrade chances is a waste), the chance of needing to use max pres wards for guaranteed success is about 22.1% (0.99^150). I don't think people are having to use max pres wards a lot more often than expected because the RNG is crappy. I think it's because many players don't expect the chance to fail all 150 times to be so high. Many people in my guild didn't when I told them.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

The actual true value of Zen is worth MORE than 750 ad per 1 zen. I still think its around 1200 to 1500 ad per 1 zen.

So your money is worth more than your time?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

kharkov58 said:

Considering 1% upgrade chance (using coals in higher upgrade chances is a waste), the chance of needing to use max pres wards for guaranteed success is about 22.1% (0.99^150). I don't think people are having to use max pres wards a lot more often than expected because the RNG is crappy. I think it's because many players don't expect the chance to fail all 150 times to be so high. Many people in my guild didn't when I told them.
    Those times you hit 150 will be offset by the times you make them on first try etc.

It is the expected average that matters, and with the 150 cutoff limit the average number of tries is around 80 I think.

Since we do so many 1% runs, running with pwards all the way will pay off in the long run.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2020

kharkov58 said:

Those times you hit 150 will be offset by the times you make them on first try etc.

It is the expected average that matters, and with the 150 cutoff limit the average number of tries is around 80 I think.

Since we do so many 1% runs, running with pwards all the way will pay off in the long run.
    only time I use coals is when they are free and account bound. your average of 80 feels right to me in the overall picture. yeah they can hit 150 but most of the time it doesn't. but I can see if you rarely upgrade things it might appear to be a higher chance of 150 than it actually is. except for rare circumstances I don't buy anything fully upgraded. it is cheaper to upgrade yourself using stones you've bought at the wondrous baz on sale and pwards you've purchased on sale.