test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Briartwine/Owlbear cub/Tenebrous synergy. Bug ?

Hi!

When testing owlbear cub and armor enchants for my fighter vanguard in m16 preview, I accidentaly found that the Briartwine armor enchants damage reflection counts as "when striking a foe". This makes it procc the Tenebrous enchant. The reflected damage is also unable to crit, thus it is very good for proccing Owlbear Cubs presence. The combination makes it possible to deal a lot of damage (for a tank class, not relevant for DPS classes) when taking hits from enemies. The effect is present even when shielding and using Dig In.

I did report this as a bug during m16 preview, but there was no reply or fix.

Running this setup in M16/17 content and Hell Pit event made it possible/bearable for me to farm without swapping to my DPS loadout. In M18 it adds even more, as I get almost 20.000 more power with the new 1225 gear and spend a lot more time shielding incoming damage.

Is this a bug or WAI ?

Elite Whaleboy

Comments

• wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Elite Whaleboy
  • skingdev#1102 skingdev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 77 Cryptic Developer
    Yo! Wilbur626,

Glad to see you coming out on the forums. I had a QA member dive into this interaction. She nailed down what is exactly happening and how we our messaging it to the players. We need to reach out to the systems team before we can make a call on if this is intended and confusing or not intended and a bug. Hopefully we can a solid response in the next day or so.

Stay tuned

- SKing
    > @skingdev#1102 said:
    > Yo! Wilbur626,
    >
    > Glad to see you coming out on the forums. I had a QA member dive into this interaction. She nailed down what is exactly happening and how we our messaging it to the players. We need to reach out to the systems team before we can make a call on if this is intended and confusing or not intended and a bug. Hopefully we can a solid response in the next day or so.
    >
    > Stay tuned
    >
    > - SKing

Thank you very much for the answer!
    I have an incredibly awesome build based on this interaction, so crossing fingers for "intended" 😀
    Elite Whaleboy
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2019

According to this test owlbear appears to have a cooldown of 6-7 seconds.
    On this test i had 10k critical and i did 310 hit.
    Keep in mind that is with 3% critical with 50% critical chance owlbear would proc less.

Post edited by mamalion1234 on
    Sorry for the long hiatus, the NW team has been participating in the long holiday. QA put an issue into our database just before the break, and the systems team will take it from there.

- SKing
    > @skingdev#1102 said:
    > Sorry for the long hiatus, the NW team has been participating in the long holiday. QA put an issue into our database just before the break, and the systems team will take it from there.
    >
    > - SKing

Does this mean it is identified as a bug?
    Elite Whaleboy
    I'm assuming that it is by design or a happy accident. I doubt systems will come back with a bug fix on this one. But I've been wrong before.
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I mean, it's doing what it's supposed to do (proccing from non-critical damage). So it's not bugged, it's just pretty good with the right set-up.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
    > @nl54#3191 said:
    > I mean, it's doing what it's supposed to do (proccing from non-critical damage). So it's not bugged, it's just pretty good with the right set-up.

The briartwine counting as a player generated hit (as opposed to thunderhead, fireburst and loamweave) is the "bug" in question
    Elite Whaleboy
  • roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Black Thorn helmet does not proc the Tenebrous for me but I haven't tried Owlbear Cub's Presence with it.
  • douglasopferbeckdouglasopferbeck Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    It creates a synergy with an otherwise worthless armor enchantment, increasing choices for everyone which is a good thing. Other games such as Diablo encourage such interactions for greater build variety. I would hate to see something like this ‘fixed’
    > @douglasopferbeck said:
    > It creates a synergy with an otherwise worthless armor enchantment, increasing choices for everyone which is a good thing. Other games such as Diablo encourage such interactions for greater build variety. I would hate to see something like this ‘fixed’

Imho the other damage dealing armor enchants should work the same way
    Elite Whaleboy
  • douglasopferbeckdouglasopferbeck Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    > @wilbur626 said:
    > > @douglasopferbeck said:
    > > It creates a synergy with an otherwise worthless armor enchantment, increasing choices for everyone which is a good thing. Other games such as Diablo encourage such interactions for greater build variety. I would hate to see something like this ‘fixed’
    >
    > Imho the other damage dealing armor enchants should work the same way

Well, the only thing you will achieve is having the synergy removed as opposed to having it added to the other enchantments. *sadly shakes head*
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    I think what he is saying is that he expects that it should work the same with other armor enchants that deal damage such as thunder head IIRC. Just as I would expect this to work with a paladins aura of vengence, or a wizards storm fury.