test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

weapon enchantments, best of the worst?

thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
I have a couple alts I want to make a little beefier so wanted to put some cheaper r13 or r14s on them. I was wondering what is the best of the worst. or does it literally not matter if you're not going for BIS which one you choose by any degree?

we all kno what is bis atm. not interested in that for these toons. :)

Comments

• Options
    kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    So at rank 13-14 any of the weapon enchants are going to give you a base 4.5-5% damage increase, plus one "special effect". Probably the most useful of these for the "non-BiS" enchants is the dread enchant, which gives a mangntude 9 or 10 DoT on the target (ticks once per second for 4 seconds). Most of the others which give a stat reduction are basically worthless. Holy Avenger is handy too as it gives you a small heal.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    I just "run what I brung" on my toons. I bought a few really cheap r8-9 back before the enchant exchange happened with the expressed purpose of getting a good mix of enchants to try. Same with armor. I can say that I notice zero difference between any of them, including the armor enchants. I have an elven battle at r12, and a bark at r13 or 14 and no difference in the frequency of disables between the 2. I even have a r7 lomweave armor echant that I don't even know where I got it from, and it's BtC, so it's stuck on my rogue, which is my absolute worst class of all.

I for one haven't, and won't put any more effort into weapon or armor enchants due to the nerf in mod 16. I'm not gonna spend a ton of time and effort on refining these wicked expensive encahnts when I notice no difference between ranks, let alone between 2 that have wildly different effects that don't seem to work. Bark is less effective now than before, and is only really any good for my spellcasters, who have no business being out front anyhow.

Save yer coins and just roll with whatever r8-9 weapon armor enchants you have now, or can get for dirt cheap.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    there is definitely a difference between enchants. and between low enchants and higher enchants. I DO notice a difference in how often i get stunned with elven vs no. Barkwood is really only noticeable in tomm. look at the logs. holy HAMSTER it saves a lot of heartache. i've put an r13 lightening on a low level toon that I had a r9 on. HUGE difference in how much damage it does. that said the r13 does not belong on that toon and I don't want to have to switch things on and off it all the time because pia. yes it's possible to strugglebunny thru with an r9.. but I'd rather have something more beefy.

for others reading this:

From the tool tip it seems like prom might be decent for a lower priced enchant too. does dread have a cool down? has anyone run tests on all the enchants since mod 16 that is referenced in a spreadsheet out there? didn't see anything like that in rainers guide?
  • Options
    milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    I can't read the logs that fast on xbox. I have not noticed a difference between bark at 13-14, or the elven at 12 with my pally. I have to look at my toons again to see who has what. I'm glad you can see a difference, but I don't notice any difference with my toons. Granted I haven't taken gobs of time to really parse thru different combos, or sparring dummies, or to run a 1 rune me time it, and then run another with different enchants.

The biggest difference I have seen is going from r11 to r14 bonding runestones. Even my warlock is night and day with r14 vs r11(moving them around, I only have 3 r14 bondings right now, that took 3 weeks of solid grinding).

Still trying to figure out what I should upgrade next as I don't wanna put time, or even real cash into something thats just gonna get nerfed, like I did with my Feytouched, and bark in mods 14-15...
  • Options
    the logs are still there after a run. just go thru them. it takes awhile but you can see the hits. elven has the big difference in stamina at different ranks. at rank 12 it's pretty near 13 or 14 for holds. it just happens less often in content where there are a lot of stuns. I'm stunned like every other second in modern content without it. and the stuns are rare with it. that's been my experience. I don't think weapon enchants other than vorpal on a heals would make much of a difference on a tank/heals type but for the damage done on a lower level toon at least it's noticable. I've been running dread ring lairs for the enchanting stones recently and it makes a huge difference in if I am able to take down a hoard or not and how fast I can do it. I don't think i'd notice if I had one equipped or not on a end game toon but for a 18 19 ilvl toon it is big.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

elven has the big difference in stamina at different ranks.

This right here. Elven gives a big boost to stam regen for tanks which is very helpful in ToMM. I could care less about the other effects. Barkshield may be nice for dps but I don't see the point in it for a tank.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

I have a couple alts I want to make a little beefier so wanted to put some cheaper r13 or r14s on them. I was wondering what is the best of the worst.

Took needs more info for your question.

For what class? what role?
    Big difference between value of a Frost weap enchant on a DC healer than on a barbarian DPS.

Tanks, for example, can try second-rate Lightning. Damage boost is small so not considered BiS, so it is affordable.
    But the lightning chains effectively turn it into a constant AoE aggro effect.
    Very useful for all the content between bosses in every dungeon.

there is definitely a difference between enchants. and between low enchants and higher enchants. I DO notice a difference in how often i get stunned with elven vs no. Barkwood

Took thinks he was asking about weapon enchants, not armor.
    But yes, elven's CC reduction is very noticable.
    Armor enchant choice is also class dependant.
    Tanks choose elven bis usually for the CC but more importantly for the stamina regen.

As the OP's theme is "not BiS", assuming "Barkshield" or "shadowclad" would be called "BiS" for DPS, for armor enchants, Took would say best of the rest would be Soulforged (cheap, but better than nothing) for DPS.
    For tanks, second-rate armor enchants might include Negation (use to be BiS but got nerfed), maybe Soulforged (not good for a tank... we need things to PREVENT death, not to resurrect).
    Briartwine sounds very tank-friendly, but the reflect damage output is very low.

Tanks should NEVER use barkshield.
    We get hit early and often, sometimes rapid-fire hits.
    That's our job.
    Barkshield will never stay at full charge in a fight on a tank. Gone in seconds and not there for the big hits.

For DPS, acceptable second-rate enchants might include Dread, Terror, or Plaguefire.
    Steer clear of anything with a cooldown on DPS (fire, frost, etc).

But Took thinks on DPS you would still be better off with an affordable lower ranking BiS (eg. Vorpal rank 11) rather than a rank 14 second rate.

The DPS output will be the same or better than the second-rate lvl14.
    And you should consider it an investment in your alt. Rank it up over time. It will only become more valuable.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I have a couple alts I want to make a little beefier so wanted to put some cheaper r13 or r14s on them. I was wondering what is the best of the worst.

Took needs more info for your question.

For what class? what role?
    Big difference between value of a Frost weap enchant on a DC healer than on a barbarian DPS.

Tanks, for example, can try second-rate Lightning. Damage boost is small so not considered BiS, so it is affordable.
    But the lightning chains effectively turn it into a constant AoE aggro effect.
    Very useful for all the content between bosses in every dungeon.

there is definitely a difference between enchants. and between low enchants and higher enchants. I DO notice a difference in how often i get stunned with elven vs no. Barkwood

Took thinks he was asking about weapon enchants, not armor.
    But yes, elven's CC reduction is very noticable.
    Armor enchant choice is also class dependant.
    Tanks choose elven bis usually for the CC but more importantly for the stamina regen.

As the OP's theme is "not BiS", assuming "Barkshield" or "shadowclad" would be called "BiS" for DPS, for armor enchants, Took would say best of the rest would be Soulforged (cheap, but better than nothing) for DPS.
    For tanks, second-rate armor enchants might include Negation (use to be BiS but got nerfed), maybe Soulforged (not good for a tank... we need things to PREVENT death, not to resurrect).
    Briartwine sounds very tank-friendly, but the reflect damage output is very low.

Tanks should NEVER use barkshield.
    We get hit early and often, sometimes rapid-fire hits.
    That's our job.
    Barkshield will never stay at full charge in a fight on a tank. Gone in seconds and not there for the big hits.

For DPS, acceptable second-rate enchants might include Dread, Terror, or Plaguefire.
    Steer clear of anything with a cooldown on DPS (fire, frost, etc).

But Took thinks on DPS you would still be better off with an affordable lower ranking BiS (eg. Vorpal rank 11) rather than a rank 14 second rate.

The DPS output will be the same or better than the second-rate lvl14.
    And you should consider it an investment in your alt. Rank it up over time. It will only become more valuable.
    this is my 4th and 5th best alt. I already have a couple extra r13 and 14 lightening. they are nearly as expensive on xbox as bis. well they are considered bis for aoe aren't they?

but I have them on other more used alts. and I like to switch between bile and lightening on a couple toons depending on content.

investment opportunities would be in buying lesser wanted r13 and 14 imo rather than flavor of the day lessers. eventually odds are those unpopular ones will see a resurgence. and that r11 vorpal has no where to go but down in value. both of these are dps. one warlock and one tr but honestly all I wanted was a generic answer for best of the worst. with the warlock especially crit is no where near being capped and I 'm not going to put in any effort at all to make it so. vorpal lower level would not be good. I want the damage increase and whatever else is working best atm. the tr is a little more capable but honestly I don't run my alts thru most content. I just want an easier time farming dread ring lairs and maybe hell pit. the conversation about elven was just a side conversation and had nothing to do with my question. I'm looking at fey, dread and prominence as the forerunners of cheap.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @thefiresidecat don't you have a copy of NW Enchantment Calculator 2.0?
    I forget who makes this, someone on this forum posted it up a while ago...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bmJUUy1KRfvZSU-69BH72JZFYNlRhL5sUsxDxnH50HU/edit?usp=sharing
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options

@thefiresidecat don't you have a copy of NW Enchantment Calculator 2.0?
    I forget who makes this, someone on this forum posted it up a while ago...

The Took recommends...

"HAAAloo. My name is RAAAHeeenah. Velcome... to Neverwinter... on PC."

Weapon Enchants:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fP_cUugHdsObvQDzLFijGA-mVm_qLmSy0MI62aTLkDM/edit#gid=1778763150

Armor Enchants:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fP_cUugHdsObvQDzLFijGA-mVm_qLmSy0MI62aTLkDM/edit#gid=2100059666

Character Builder:
    https://www.patreon.com/file?h=31565245&i=4721340
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

thanks but this really isn't helpful for the question at hand.

• Options

thanks but this really isn't helpful for the question at hand.

Oh. Soz.
    Took is chagrinned.
    But Took listed 7 "not bis" recommended enchants (ITHO). That's what you asked.

The enchant guide seems pretty relevant to anyone reading this to review the details of each enchant.
    https://www.patreon.com/file?h=31565245&i=4721340
    Few of us have them all memorized.

Seems relevant and helpful to Took, but... Took is a fool.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @thefiresidecat I have 8 characters and never run BiS. I also don't crunch numbers unless someone has a question along these lines.

All 8 of my characters sold their armor and weapon enchants and just prior to the module 16 change. I purchased cheap weapon and armor enchants to convert. They are rank 8, I think the highest I have is a rank 9. If there is something you need tested in that range let me know. I think I have a rank 10 frostburn I plan on selling or giving away at some point.

With the generic enchants -- all of them being +2% "fill in the blank" damage -- I never see much of a real difference. I ran my wizard without armor and weapon enchants and "felt" no different in game play. There is a difference, just not very noticeable. I do understand what you are looking for is some enchantment that empowers another feature, skill, etc.. I have not seen this design anywhere in the system.

I don't want the developers to make these enchants to be super powers, I would like to see that when you combine a lightning with thunder a new skill or feature is added such as, the Hand of Anhur randomly smites an opponent. While mixing them causes other features, combine lightning with briartwine and get the Wrath of Talos! We have about a dozen different types of weapon and armor enchants. This would make for 144 unique new features. As I stated, they would not need to be super powers just give players something to think about when they equip these generic add-ons.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @sandukutupu there is no difference at rank 8. at rank 13 14 the 5 percent is feelable. at the start of mod 16 i traded all my enchants and weapon enchants for vorpals and lightenings and biles elvens and barks and a few others that were hit an miss as well as a ton of various comps.. i made many money's :) although I have noticed it doesn't make much of a difference on an otherwise meh toon (for dread ring purposes) maybe I'll just put a r13 lightening on the really poor toon and a r8 vorp on the meh toon and all will be good.

@dreadformore I never called you names or a fool. but you gave me the rainers guide which I have. best I can tell those are just the tooltips that are listed on enchants. I can read tool tips.. are those tool tips working as intended though? that I don't know. that character building guide is fine if you are building a toon you care about even a little but I am not. the time to do that could be done but it still doesn't answer if the tool tips have actually been tested.

there are extra bonus's on the 13 and 14s and I was just wondering what the best of the worst was. nothing else. no details about my toon are relevant. not looking for any other tips or tricks. just simply what are the current best of the worst for r13's and 14's. the first post had an acceptable answer for me. also curious about prominence as the magnitude damage seems good.. but complicated. I find it hard to believe no one has tested all the enchants this time around. that information has to be out there.
    Post edited by thefiresidecat on
  • Options
    exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Playing as Fighter Tank, I prefer Shadowclad than any other armor enchantment. My reasons are simple: When I receive any damage, increase Deflect rate by 16% and 4% DR. Stacks 8 times. 8 seconds cooldown. Since DoT damage cannot be deflected, for many times I easily get 8 stacks.

Negation stacks once per second for a cooldown of 3 seconds, for a max of 16% DR plus the 5% healing, but only if you have 10 stacks.

2fv72Fw.png
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    If you are running lazy alts - those for fun, no major investment - it is cheapest soulforged on armour and virtually any weapon enchant that is "on sale" in AH. (the thing with weapon enchant is that atm the choice is between BIS and rather pointless variants)

Anyway:
    For a lazy tank it is lightning weapon en. (even though this one might be considered BIS) + cheapest briatwire armour en. (preferably + owlbear companion presence + some tenebrous enchant) = ability to gain and hold agro even along a harder hitting DPS /right now the elven battle enchant is cheap and good for tanks + weapon slot does not matter
    For a lazy heal I would still have a cheap, low level vorpal rather than a high level anything else + cheapest soulforged in armour.
    For a lazy dps... for a really lazy one I would slot those enchants that give you chance on lifesteal. It is nothing special as for a DPS performance, but the daily stuff is a smoother ride with either the weapon or armour one - especially if you are not keen on gulping the health potions.