test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to NW Chris. Friendly heads-up about the awesome community you will be working with!!

@cwhitesidedev#9752
Well I'm not sure you will see this but Chris (it will most likely get deleted by the moderators) I just wanted to welcome you to Neverwinter and to give you a head- up about the community that you will be working with in game and here in the forums.

So, first things first, welcome. I really hope you have fun and enjoy this game that many of us use to enjoy over the years. And I want to wish you the best of luck with your game plan for the future of Neverwinter. Many of us are counting on you and some are calling you the Kenobi of Neverwinter since you are “our only (and for many, even the ones who have already left) the LAST hope” for this once great game.

Now for the heads-up part:

This community is very diverse as you have seen in the forums. Some people are toxic (you are going to get that anywhere in the world) but most are just very passionate about this game. Most of the players are in the older age range and many have played since day one. So, when you see posts that are critical, heated, or in some cases rude it is because they are passionate about this game and hate to see it fall from grace and fail. They are not attacks on you.

Now for a little back story so you have a general understanding of where and how the community is currently standing (This is not all players, and in some cases not even most so I can’t and will not speak for all, but this is how I feel and how many others feel that I have talked to, read from posts, and seen in youtube videos/streams)

So, here is what you are currently dealing with when it comes to the community:

Now there was a massive change in the game back when MOD 6 launched. I was not around at the time as I was sailing and missed Mods 5-7 at that time. But there was a large blow back from the massive changes that transpired back then. But again, I was not present for the initial blow back at that time due to work so I won’t comment any more on it other than to say that we lost a large portion of the player base due to that MOD.

Then the next large issue that swept the community was “Huntgate”. This happened in MOD 14 Ravenloft. When MOD 14 went to the preview sever, players tested out the MOD as per usual and feedback was given in the forums for any issues or bugs found. Well, many bugs were found and reported including one that allowed you to “glitch” hunts allowing you to not use the Tarokka cards but still get the rewards. As the weeks went by and the MOD was about to be launched on the live server people were sill reporting this ‘glitch”. Then MOD 14 launched on the Live server with the “glitch”. At first many didn’t know about it. Others didn’t want to try incase Cryptic would ban them. But then several days went by. Reports started to reappear on the forums in the live section about the “glitch”. Still nothing changed or happened. The days became weeks. Slowly the word got around and still no action to fix or even a comment about it from Cryptic. So, more people started to do it and believe it was “just the way neverwinter is” just like peeking into dungeon chests without using a key was for years and many other “glitches”. The weeks became months and then MOD 14 launched on consoles. And still the “glitch” was there. Well, the console players seen what was going on with the PC players and they all started to do it as well. Once again, no fix, no comment, nothing from Cryptic all while it is being reported on the forums. Then a week after the launch on to consoles a post was made stating that actions will be taken on accounts that partook in the “glitch”. Then on that Friday, at the end of the day, it happened. BANS. Bans were given out to the player base on all platforms. Everything from 24 hours to permanent bans. This was a huge blow to the community. Many people didn’t even get an email to tell them how long they have been banned for. Other reported that they were banned but never partook in the “glitch” (no idea if that was true but people have told me that it was) and to top it all off they did it on a Friday at the end of the day so no one could contact anyone about their account. Everyone had to wait till Monday before anything could happen.

This was a huge slap in the face to the player base. Cryptic left a “glitch” in the game for MONTHS all the while it was being reported over and over again in the forums. Instead of saying “we’re sorry about the glitch being there for so long” and fixing it ASAP, they decided to leave it there for MONTHS and then ban people because they didn’t fix a glitch that was well reported. We lost many of the content creators, youtubers, guide makers, streamers, and end game players from this. People lost their friends they played with so they left the game. Guilds lost their leaders and officers and became dead so more people left the game. And many players that were banned (not just perma-ban) left the game and never came back. And to this day, Neverwinter is still feeling the effects of this. And many players including myself will never forget or forgive what happened that day.

Now we move on to MOD 15. This was a kick to the shin for many or some depending on who you talk to (big time for end gamers). This MOD came with some nice damage boosts for most classes if not all. A new campaign that for myself and some or many others (hard to tell sometimes and I hate to speak for others in case they disagree) a boring weak leveling campaign that has nothing to do with D&D unless you like watching Acquisitions Incorporated on youtube. But worst of all a complete overhaul of the professions. Now, don’t get me wrong, change is good and sometimes very much necessary. But in this case, I went have 9 Epic Artisans for every profession to having a bunch of epic and a few rare ones that have HAMSTER stats or bonuses on them. I went from having millions in AD worth of professions artisans, gear and resources to having a fraction of that now. Millions of AD gone. Just like that. And what did they do with the new profession system??? NOTHING. It is useless right now. It's just dead!!! And I'm out millions of AD, and so are many other players.

Well, let’s move on to MOD 16. I’m sure you are most likely up to speed about this one. I won’t waste your time with it about the sweeping changes, bugs, problems, scaling (that used to be in the player zones as well and they had to get rid of it since it didn’t work and removed all forms of progression from players, yet they still kept it in the dungeons), the constant NERFING OF EVERYTHING, and so, so much more... That (once again) many players and end game players didn’t want, like, or willing to put up with. So, they left leaving an even larger gap and making it harder for new players to run content without the players with experience to teach them or carry them.

Comments

• Options
    sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    Yep, Cryptic probably will never have a good reputation in the future. They will be known as scammers just like EA sports and part of the reason why i don't support this game as much as i love it. But within Cryptic, NW dev's sure have popularity within this genre.
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    wilbur626 said:

Seems like OP forgot we got free capes to compensate for the failed M16 launch.

Also, if you stick around long enough you will accumulate some titles and other capes fit for every season.
    Because I'm probably already offtopic: #freefnhusa57

I'm not a supporter of abusing glitches. At all. But I'm even less supportive of abusing the trust players put into NW so often already. I wasn't here for Mod6, but I was here for huntgate, and I know that not everybody banned/stripped knew what they got themselves into, that "fast hunts" happened so much and was reported so often and for such a long time, in comparison to other glitches that got fixed at the same day, that many people thought/assumed that Cryptic considered this much more like an FBI boss glitch than the exploit they banned people for in the end.
    I could totally understand executing the TOS we all agreed to, but hey, really, it was reported. It was reported so much that people on PC were totally laughing when the console players got to do the SAME thing they have seen on PC vids before that. Sounds like watching "Guides" on FBI with all various methods how to glitch the bosses. No?
    Ah well, whatever now. But yeah, I agree, I can't forget that either.
    Or the easter-egg-watcher. I mean, how dumb do you think we are? There were people running all variants of 3-runes they could think of. All day long if they could find somebody else with the quests.

You know what saved my AD (selling most of my profession junk) from M15? A vet telling me to "assume the worst situation". Yeah, thanks a lot. Woo.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Huntgate could have been avoided BY ONE POST on these forums and an INGAME ANNOUNCEMENT! Just one. We got nothing for MONTHS. Even if the post was "we are aware" "abusers will be banned" "we can't fix it right now", but we got nothing.

This is not nothing.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    > @kreatyve said:
    > (Quote)
    > This is not nothing.

That is the post of doom.
    Ravenloft was on console at the end of August, wasn't it?
    So this is the "we will ban some guys but don't ask me if the bans will make sense" post.

That means there was nothing from release on PC (+/- some time until the first hamstery glitch video) end of june until the post you linked.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    kreatyve said:

Huntgate could have been avoided BY ONE POST on these forums and an INGAME ANNOUNCEMENT! Just one. We got nothing for MONTHS. Even if the post was "we are aware" "abusers will be banned" "we can't fix it right now", but we got nothing.

This is not nothing.
    I'm not sure I understand, Do you mean what is going on now in neverwinter? If so I agree that strides have been made as far as communication goes. I am not only talking about Chris and the CDP. I think everyone including you have stepped up their game. That is not nothing and it is appreciated and I hope that appreciation is reflected in the feedback that is being given lately on these forums.

You also have to admit that we have been down this road before with Cryptic and we all know how that went. I'm not trying to be negative, and IMO neither is the OP. The things that happened are fact and there is no denying that. I think this thread sheds some light on why many of us are jaded and disgruntled or angry. It is important for Chris to see this so that he understands why there is so much anger in the community and why so many no longer play a game that they once loved. Let's also remember that these are only a FEW examples. There are many more, but I think the OP did a great job in picking the incidents that had the most negative impact on the community as a whole.

If you are talking about during the whole Huntgate debacle then I disagree, but like I said in the threads both here and on both reddits that whole situation was handled wrong and could have been easily avoided by BOTH sides. Ultimately it was reported on preview by multiple players both publicly and privately and was not acted on or officially commented on for MONTHS, so in my opinion nothing was done when it could have made a difference back when the exploit was first discovered and reported.

All of these are very heated topics that the community is very passionate about. I'm not trying to poke a hornets nest, but like I said Chris needs to know this history from our perspective and IMO the OP did a great job in providing that information. I hope you see where I am coming from.

*** Edit *** @kreatyve LOL I'm an idiot! I did not realize that there was a link in your post. I'll leave this up anyway though.
    Post edited by oremonger#9999 on
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    There was a PC patch note referring to it as an exploit about a week before console release.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10991973

The exploit shouldn't have made it to the console release but that doesn't excuse cheating. Do people need to be told that glitching content and duping items is cheating? It always seemed that there were people whose punishments were excessive but the continued whining a year and a half later is surreal.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pitshade said:

There was a PC patch note referring to it as an exploit about a week before console release.

The exploit shouldn't have made it to the console release but that doesn't excuse cheating. Do people need to be told that glitching content and duping items is cheating? It always seemed that there were people whose punishments were excessive but the continued whining a year and a half later is surreal.

The only surreal thing is the nonchalance about glitching prior to huntgate and how huntgate was handled.
    Glitching and exploiting has had a story in this game, and of course everybody expects it to be punished - If I had exploited it, I would've known that I acted against the TOS. If I hadn't known and got into a hunt party like this I left immediately, I would also expect not to be perma-banned.
    However, if you go from "oh what, you reported something? Huh well now, 3 mods later it doesn't matter anymore" to "Oh yeah lets 3-day suspend this person, let's rip some AD from this person, oh and this one? This one we perma-ban!" is a bit of stretch that doesn't build confidence in the business here.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    pitshade said:

"A hunt exploit has been patched up. If you've been using it, you'll know it when you see it."

I'm not defending the folks who used the glitch / exploit I am talking about how the whole situation was handled. The point is that the glitch was reported during preview but yet it went live and then even went live on console. We have seen other "exploits" patched overnight, but for some reason this one went months.

"Now for a little back story so you have a general understanding of where and how the community is currently standing (This is not all players, and in some cases not even most so I can’t and will not speak for all, but this is how I feel and how many others feel that I have talked to, read from posts, and seen in youtube videos/streams)

So, here is what you are currently dealing with when it comes to the community:"
    -@tommy887

Regardless of the outcome I still think it is important to talk about as far as the purpose this thread goes. Huntgate is something that happened that could have been avoided but was not. It created a divide in the community and contributed to the overall picture that the OP is trying to convey to Chris. The mere fact that so many people have posted about just this aspect / subtopic of this thread speaks to the validity of including it.

Post edited by oremonger#9999 on
  • Options

pitshade said:

I'm not defending the folks who used the glitch I am talking about how the whole situation was handled. The point is that the glitch was reported during preview but yet it went live and then even went live on console. We have seen other "exploits" patched overnight, but for some reason this one went months.

Regardless of the outcome I still think it is important to talk about as far as the purpose this thread goes. Huntgate is something that happened that could have been avoided but was not. It created a divide in the community and contributed to the overall picture that the OP is trying to convey to Chris.

I agree. We can see the divide here already, and it would be even clearer if some people were still here... But this arguments we all had already, not only here, but ingame too. Especially the "I don't like how this was handled" vs "So you mean you defend exploiting" issue.

Pretty sure nobody wants exploits to ruin the game or the games economy (pretty much the same to me) but, like, it was such a weird way to go for some players. Really.

But, how else do you explain to somebody why you are salty about the game right now without highlighting some of it?
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    If people need reminders to not be stupid, they should maybe programme it into their phone as a daily alarm notification?

BEEEEP "Time to wake up, and remember, no one is responsible for the stupid stuff you choose to do except you, so try not to do anything stupid today!"

They could use specific alarms like "Don't run with scissors today!" "Don't abuse exploits in games today!" "Don't eat any laundry detergent pods today!" and seasonal specials like "Remember, don't eat yellow snow today!" "Don't stare at the sun during today's eclipse..."

Given how many people get in such a state over their own behaviour in abusing exploits being punished there is probably a pretty big market for a phone app that does this.
  • Options
    Yeah, but add "don't forget to double check every other hunt-group-member if they are exploiters" too. Who defended exploiters here?

And people say I don't read others posts. :P
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    I already said that Cryptic handled both the technical aspects and likely the severity of some punishments badly. Some people may have gotten into a group unknowingly and never taken part again and still got punished. Some people may have not even done that. In those cases, sure Cryptic would be 100% wrong, but those cases would be at best a small minority.

"This was a huge slap in the face to the player base. Cryptic left a “glitch” in the game for MONTHS all the while it was being reported over and over again in the forums. Instead of saying “we’re sorry about the glitch being there for so long” and fixing it ASAP, they decided to leave it there for MONTHS and then ban people because they didn’t fix a glitch that was well reported"

But this, attempting to exonerate people because the exploit went unpatched, has nothing to do with that. Its the same rationalization we've seen since the bans. "Well they didn't patch it so it must be ok' is not a justification for cheating.

And yes, a lot of exploits have gone unpunished in the game. Just because the studio was lax in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't start taking action at a later date. They had to start somewhere if they ever wanted to get to a good place. The severity, again, may have been too much but what has kept dredging this issue up for all this time always seems to be some sort of justification for why no one should have been punished. That is heavily present in the OP and the the reason I posted.

I know people who did it and I bear them no ill will. Some of them who got banned and made new accounts, not my concern. But the idea that somehow this is primarily Cryptic's fault is just a lie that needs to die.
  • Options
    jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User

People really need to get over this, it happened what, 4 mods ago? This was obviously an exploit. You didn't need to be told it was an exploit, to know that what you were doing was not intended. You had to deliberately kill yourself using a GM command to break out of bounds of an intended area in a party so that someone else could then lower the difficulty of the hunt afterwards, in order to get the rewards without consuming the cards. That means the following information was required:

1. You needed to know that if you entered the hunts normally, the cards would be consumed.
    2. You needed to know that if you broke out of bounds in a party, you could do the hunt without consuming them.

That means you know how the hunts are supposed to function and how to bypass the intended interaction. There is nothing wrong with knowing, but acting on that knowledge means that you should also know that there could be consequences. And just in case anyone says, "but other people did it and didn't get banned..." Well, just because other people got away with something, doesn't justify someone else getting away with it. If 100 murders are committed and 93 of the murderers are caught, you don't let them go because, "what about the other 7 who weren't caught."
    What about chest peeking, boss bugging, astral diamond rods, etc... I'm with @kreatyve with the "Cheating is cheating" statement. All cheating should be enforced or nothing at all. Picking and choosing causes too many problems as we are currently seeing.
    Just my 2 cents.

All the best,
    OPTank_
  • Options
    sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I think common sense should have prevailed and Cryptic should have labelled the exploit as "exploit". As someone who studied pharmacy, you should never expect the client to know the dosage, even if it is clearly written in bold on the label. It's still mandatory to reiterate the dosage when supplying the medicine. It's basically good practice and even now that i am in a legal professional, you have to advice client of everything, even if it be obvious. The onus falls on you as professionals and the fact that minors play this game, i think Cryptic had a obligation towards its players to educate them. If not, then do not ban them. Simple as that. Although, i can guess what happened, they just lazed out of it. Who actually made a loss at the end? It just takes one to look at the state of the game.
  • Options
    They were glitching their way outside the starting area to break the script controlling the hunt. The exploit was openly advertised in zone chat as 'glitched hunt' or 'ghunt' for short. They knew exactly what they were doing.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    The OP makes some valid points regarding trust issues the community has with the dev team. Not because there were exploits, not because there were bans, but because of the way in which these exploits/bans were handled by the team.

@thefabricant is also correct in stating that people need to get over it. Honestly, some of the people I hear complaining about these breaches of trust, and bans and monumental events in NW history weren't even around for them.

There are bigger issues to fry in the here and now than huntgate, coalgate, watergate, frigate, whatevergate. Let's move forward instead of rehashing the same handful of events in the game.

All you're telling Chris is, "hey we like you cause you're new and FOTM but those other guys, oh those guys we'll never trust again". Pretty sure he knows this by now.
    sobi#1980 said:

It's basically good practice and even now that i am in a legal professional, you have to advice client of everything, even if it be obvious. The onus falls on you as professionals and the fact that minors play this game, i think Cryptic had a obligation towards its players to educate them.

Terms. Of. Service. The legality has been handled. The onus does not fall on the studio to determine whether intelligence exists in their users. One could flip your argument and say common sense should exist in users and some exploits are clearly exploits so proceed at your own risk.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, in Master Expeditions a boss sometimes just stops fighting, so what should i do when that happens? Am i allowed to continue the fight, or should i abandon the run since this might be considered an exploit at some point in the future?

And before someone suggest i should report this bug, i've no clue on how to recreate it, it happens rather randomly.

About Huntgate, i think instead of perm. banns they should have gone with account rollbacks to the date the exploit was used the first time, but i guess that would have required more work from their side.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    regenerde said:

Well, in Master Expeditions a boss sometimes just stops fighting, so what should i do when that happens? Am i allowed to continue the fight, or should i abandon the run since this might be considered an exploit at some point in the future?

And before someone suggest i should report this bug, i've no clue on how to recreate it, it happens rather randomly.

About Huntgate, i think instead of perm. banns they should have gone with account rollbacks to the date the exploit was used the first time, but i guess that would have required more work from their side.

You come to a vending machine, and buy a cola, instead of one it drops two bottles. You go on with your life, sometimes you get two bottles, sometimes whatever you order gets suck, life evens out.

Another person comes to a vending machine, shoves his hand from the bottom with a solid wire trying to fish said cola, while his friend titling the machine and beating on it, so said cola will drop easier.

I suspect any person can see the difference. While there are grey areas, this is not the case, it was not, "I'm doing everything normally and suddenly gained something extra", it was a clear "Do something not intended, to gain something" aka Exploit.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    E. Nah whatever.
    - bye bye -