test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forum Structure & Organization

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings!

With the new year and the recent addition of the CDP subforum, we have been thing of ways to better organize all forum topics. There is some redundancy in certain categories and over and under-use of others; the PC subforums get heavier use and first responses on issues (especially live ones pertaining to features or events they may get before Console). This, in turn, can create both confusion and an unintended feeling of neglect for some platform users.

Keeping in mind that we would not be changing the forum software and integration and we would like to preserve all threads, I'm curious as to what suggestions people may have to change the forum structure in order to optimize engagement/streamline topics. What sections do you engage with most? What sections do you not use? If you are a console user, do you check out the PC subforums for info before posting or checking console?

Thanks!

Comments

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    just merge everything into the pc forum and take away the platform names
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    If it weren't for the period between launches on PC vs Consoles, I could see to change some subforums to a more general option to adress for all platforms. Most of the times (especially since consoles often get nearly the same launch (cough M14) as PC, with same issues and bugs and problems) we are talking about topics that touch us all equally.
    Like masterwork issues, longstanding bugs, stuff like "I can't find the MW alchemy potions to unlock xy Tier". Thats why I can sometimes answer in console threads without it feeling too awkward.

But wouldn't a workaround be even more difficult? As in considering some topics "All platforms" and some topics "XY platform only" wouldn't be too (new-) user friendly.
    - bye bye -
  • kevin#3443 kevin Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    by class would be great,it would be nice to look up my class for updates and nerfs (cavedog)
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I play on XB and I check most of the forums except for PS4.

While I believe there is room for streamlining I think there needs to be a clear division between the platforms. Maybe it's a general discussion area for all, but bugs and feedback need to be either kept separate or clearly identified by platform.

Keeping that info separate is the better option in my opinion. I can only see the confusion build up as PC users report bugs that don't apply to console in a general bug area that doesn't clearly divide the platforms. Multi platform forums can get out of hand for sure so there has to be a balance between simplification in branches and ease of finding the right information.

Figuring out the best way to split things up while consolidating is a larger undertaking than someone can handle in the span of minutes though so I will move along now.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    It's important to keep in mind, esp with bugs, that there are issues that are platform specific and they all should be addressed in the same timely manner regardless of what platform has the most recent content. I have been playing for three years now and the PS4 and Xbox bug sections seem to be ignored by devs because their focus is on PC but not all issues that affect PS4 and Xbox are also inherent to PC so even if they are fixed on PC because they are addressed first, doesn't automatically mean it will also be fixed or even addressed on consoles in the future.

That being said, maybe bugs should have stay within it's on board but stuff like PVE, General Discussion and Feedback should really be confined to one board as this would help reduce people posting about the same non-critical issues in different places.

But, IMO, no issues should be addressed solely by popularity or volume as it's really unfair. Some players who get items that are relatively scarce, like certain lego mounts, have issues that are just as important to them as people having with rare or epic items, but just because they are rarer (Lego mounts) they may not get as much complaints posted.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Merge all platform forums. Have bug reports require the user to specify the platform before the message can post.

I'm an xbox player and I read all the forums.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    Add platform information to the user profile and be shown in the post next to where "Member" is.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • knightrider86#9458 knightrider86 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    my suggestion to change forums is have one or two on staff that can report from the player feedback or bug report sections of the forums about some serious issues that get ignored or seem to get ignored make sure all issues that are reported to the teams that handle each issue so that least seems like it get known instead of passed over for months i mean might be overwhelming but it would help the balance of the game imo i mean there is time between content dates that alot of issues being reported could be addressed
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    If the consoles weren't behind PC by a few months I could see not separating any of them. You could combine PS/Xbox since they are on the same update schedule.

Personally I don't see a problem with the way they are now.
  • nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    > @nitocris83 said:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > With the new year and the recent addition of the CDP subforum, we have been thing of ways to better organize all forum topics. There is some redundancy in certain categories and over and under-use of others; the PC subforums get heavier use and first responses on issues (especially live ones pertaining to features or events they may get before Console). This, in turn, can create both confusion and an unintended feeling of neglect for some platform users.
    >
    > Keeping in mind that we would not be changing the forum software and integration and we would like to preserve all threads, I'm curious as to what suggestions people may have to change the forum structure in order to optimize engagement/streamline topics. What sections do you engage with most? What sections do you not use? If you are a console user, do you check out the PC subforums for info before posting or checking console?
    >
    > Thanks!

I think current system is nice what we need is answers to our questions and everything will be ok.
  • demenoss#9306 demenoss Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    I would like to see crafting/masterwork have it's own sub-topic area...
    Guild: Noble Misfits
    Silky Pan'teeze: Drow Wizard --- Madres de Nasae: Half-elf Rouge
    Kepler: Human Paladin --- Demenoss: Dragonborn Barbarian
    Divine Pan'teeze: Drow Cleric --- Nikki Sharparrow: Human Ranger
  • rodent89rodent89 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    The "Latest Developer Posts" function at the top of the page is great but sometimes there are so many applicable posts that i'm left wondering whether or not all of the posts that i haven't seen are even on display or have some been pushed out of the list already by even newer posts (this from the perspective of someone who visits the forums once, daily). Could the history be expanded such that at least all the posts from a given day and the day previous appear in the selection at all times ?