test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 18 will Force players to leave game

2»

Comments

• gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

Currently, NW lacks the manpower, so it has to choose between one or the other. TOMM was something that end game players had never experienced and as soon as cryptic sates them for their effort of gearing up, there is a backlash from people. I can guarantee you that TOMM was a huge success in regards to the turnover that it brought to the game. The difference is that casual players just want to play for fun but the hardcore players are willing to spend for a challenge. If you were cryptic, which one would you opt for when you are unable to cater for both?

While I do agree that TOMM was a fresh and needed approach to the game, it was in the same time placed as bad as possible. Stright after huge change witch demended a lot form players - both in terms of learning and resources to spent, they inserted a highly demanding content. That would work allrght if would have been combined with more, and beter diversed content.

And please stop that fairy tales how "hardcore" players are spending anything here.
    If they are not brain dead they are already filthy rich from using a ZEN==>AH loop for ages

So yeah it was "smart" move from Crytpic to choose tiny chunk of everdvindling player base who alrady have anything they need over a huge majority who actually need a lot for progression and is much more likely to spend some real money for that.

To proove my point - do you remember Yojimbo? Awesome companion for all kind of players. Every player I knew was trying to get it no matter if BIS or a new comer. I bet that companion alone bringed Cryptic more profit then BIS hardoce whales grinding TOMM.....

So I really doubt if TOMM worked well as a carrot encouraging new player to spent real money to be able to get there.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    giz#2086 said:

So dungeon isn't out and you already want it nerfed.
    Riiiiiight...

We finished it at first btw. And already a 18 min run is out of it in youtube!

You're talking about Rainer's video? The one with all current meta classes? Ranger and Wizards as DPS? That video only shows what makes the game boring and people are leaving for...Class balance: If you're a Warlock, Fighter, etc you're condemned to play support because your class is useless as DPS. A game that forces players to play a specific role to be part of end game content is wrong. A lot of us are sick of the play healer/tank if you aren't a Wizard, Ranger or Rogue... Or play those classes if you want to play DPS (and devs contributes with this cocky mind set).
    I've tested this dungeon as an Arbiter and was competitive with the other two dps players (Rogue and Wizard). Throughout the dungeon our positioning was constantly changing...but the point is it is very much doable with all classes. This was pretty early on before the class balance changes were applied though.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    gripnir78 said:

sobi#1980 said:

Currently, NW lacks the manpower, so it has to choose between one or the other. TOMM was something that end game players had never experienced and as soon as cryptic sates them for their effort of gearing up, there is a backlash from people. I can guarantee you that TOMM was a huge success in regards to the turnover that it brought to the game. The difference is that casual players just want to play for fun but the hardcore players are willing to spend for a challenge. If you were cryptic, which one would you opt for when you are unable to cater for both?

While I do agree that TOMM was a fresh and needed approach to the game, it was in the same time placed as bad as possible. Stright after huge change witch demended a lot form players - both in terms of learning and resources to spent, they inserted a highly demanding content. That would work allrght if would have been combined with more, and beter diversed content.

And please stop that fairy tales how "hardcore" players are spending anything here.
    If they are not brain dead they are already filthy rich from using a ZEN==>AH loop for ages

So yeah it was "smart" move from Crytpic to choose tiny chunk of everdvindling player base who alrady have anything they need over a huge majority who actually need a lot for progression and is much more likely to spend some real money for that.

To proove my point - do you remember Yojimbo? Awesome companion for all kind of players. Every player I knew was trying to get it no matter if BIS or a new comer. I bet that companion alone bringed Cryptic more profit then BIS hardoce whales grinding TOMM.....

So I really doubt if TOMM worked well as a carrot encouraging new player to spent real money to be able to get there.
    Maybe you can be the head of finance for Cryptic? In my comments, i refer to 2 simple points. First, TOMM is the only hardcore content ever implemented into the game for end end gamers and second, TOMM was profitable. TOMM is going to exist infinitely (as long as the game exists), so i have no idea what you mean by "everdvindling player base". Sure, TOMM was released on the worst possible mod (straight after the disaster mod 16) but casual players have way too much content to play and that's why i keep saying, let the end gamers have a tiny piece of that cake.

There is nothing wrong with TOMM, it is designed for end game and it fulfills that goal. Mod 18 dungeon is a walk in the park but of course, as long as we cannot at will everything to death, it is but hard. So who is brain dead you say?
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    Many here do not know how difficult the campaigns were. I will quote my favorite to Jungles of Chult.

I remember when I was still a player looking to get to the Vanguard and have to run from every mob I saw because they were too strong for me to challenge them. I died so many times for the hit-kill T-Rex that it scared me to get in its way. I remember always having an entire instance so I could farm it. Players used chat behind group to perform the fighters. Do KoS? It was all Guild with Alliance help. Players like me didn't even think about ToNG.

I think that's why I loved this module so much. But as tastes are different, maybe campaigns like Acquisitions Incorporated and Undermountain would be more pleasing to the majority who criticize a new module here with a little difficulty.

On the difficulty of status cap, maybe new players will stop using R11 radiants and start using Black Ice 13 on offensive and brutal on defensive, the value is almost equal in AH.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    I'm already capp'd for m18 on live except for accuracy at 83k, it's not hard to do. I even have defense at 86k, so I need to swap my gigantic for something else, omg it's so hard imagona leave da gaaaammeee!