test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The game is getting too difficult for me

I am level 48 Barbarian. I find most fights (mob of 4 or 5) VERY difficult. However, whenever I get a quest that ends up with a BOSS I am at an absolute loss. Just finished one. I died 4 or 5 times, and used 5 o 6 charges from my Health Stone. I have already spent $100 on Zen to buy the best equipment I can afford on the auction--and I've been playing less than a month. ("Free to Play" is the BIG lie in gaming!)
I confess I prefer Solo to Guilds so part of it is probably my fault--but I was hoping someone might have an idea what I am doing wrong--I am not spending any more money; so I am going to lose whatever edge I had.
It looks like I'll be leaving Neverwinter in less than a month from start date. That can't be part of the design?

Comments

• Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,135 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Make sure you have a few companions in the same category with bonding stones.

Give you companion gear with runes.

You can buy cheap level 8 enchantments on the AH and use ones with lots of power and AP.

When I play a Barbarian (who is not a tank) I have a companion who takes some agrro away from me so that way I don't have all the mobs jumping on me alone.

Look at the AH for armour/weapons for your level. What you can get there is better than what drops.

This all will make a big difference.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you post screenshots of your character sheet/stats and your pet page, it would be easier to give meaningful advice. The game isn't that difficult with a proper build, but sadly there is little in the way of in game information to point a player in the right direction.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I second Autumn Witches advice. For end-game players... over half of their stats are coming from active companion & its gear... the strength of which is multiplied by Bonding Runestones. If you focus on cheap/free equipment and channel your Astral Diamonds mainly into your companion & stones... you will get much stronger more quickly.

As a last resort... you could follow a recommended skill set from a class build guide, if you need more damage yet. On that point, consider creating a single target build and switch to it by skill swapping before bosses.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    what did you buy on the ah? at level 48 you haven't even started playing the real game yet. and most of the gear you can use will not be of use to you once you level up more. i'm hoping you bought some bonding stones and other enchantments. because those do have some staying power. at this point in your game you're basically still in the intro part. the game doesn't start until level 80. from there you still have a lot of levelling up to do to get your gear in a good place.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited January 2020

I am level 48 Barbarian. I find most fights (mob of 4 or 5) VERY difficult. However, whenever I get a quest that ends up with a BOSS I am at an absolute loss. Just finished one. I died 4 or 5 times, and used 5 o 6 charges from my Health Stone. I have already spent $100 on Zen to buy the best equipment I can afford on the auction--and I've been playing less than a month. ("Free to Play" is the BIG lie in gaming!)
    I confess I prefer Solo to Guilds so part of it is probably my fault--but I was hoping someone might have an idea what I am doing wrong--I am not spending any more money; so I am going to lose whatever edge I had.
    It looks like I'll be leaving Neverwinter in less than a month from start date. That can't be part of the design?

You should not need to spend any money until may be level 80. Even that is a big may be.
    In my opinion, you don't even need to buy gear from AH at all (except the mentioned enchantment and runestone).
    Did you follow the quests? If you did, there should new gear to replace the old one in (may be) 3 levels.
    Hence, spending AD on buy gear before level 80 is waste of funding.
    Barbarian should be easy to do in solo everything before level 70.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    roxie#4965 roxie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Use a healer companion on a boss fights , make sure you have the AP to use a daily. I am leveling a barb also, but i find that makes it pretty easy. Its my logic that if you cant out dps the boss before he kills you, then you need defense and heals that gives you a little wiggle room. My pally died like 6 times on that low level boss karg fangtooth. My healer companion was training, as soon as i got him out i killed the boss 1st shot. It gave me enough heals to stay alive long enough to kill him. Also what spells you use matter esp as a barb i am learning. At lower levels thats all you need, at end game it will be a different story im sure, most games are.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Another "new" player who thinks the game lacks information on how to properly build their character and is too difficult, either because of the absence of build information or the "scaling" factor that a lot of new players probably aren't aware of.

If new players are going to be the lifeblood of Neverwinter (population and revenue) LOTS of things need to be done to better inform new players how to best play their character class.

"Go look at a YouTube video" just doesn't cut it... a new Neverwinter player shouldn't have to go to YouTube (or any other outside source) to get information on how to properly play the game (* character class tips, hints and tricks - strategies, etc. )

Neverwinter's part to try to attract and retain new players is almost nonexistent aside from providing a game and essentially expecting players to 'figure it out for themselves' beyond the basic tutorial quests.

DD~
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited January 2020

who exactly "advised" you on how to spend this 100$ ...i think herein lies the problem ..
    those store bought health stones are wasting and draining your resources just get healing potions for now ..

there is "no best equipment" you need to afford or even are required buy till you reach level 70
    most is handed out like candy ..
    maybe a mount and some vip services etc and a weapon and armor enchant ..

maybe joining a good guild would be your best option for catered hand holding advice on this matter
    and you would also get the benefit of increased stats from thier boons
  • Options
    jakeesanjakeesan Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Wow. So basically you're upset other people arent paying the devs to give you a free a game to play? Are you kidding? F2P isnt a lie per se. But freebs seem to believe if they sponge off of the rest of us it's fine and they can still cry to the devs.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

At this point the only thing you should be spending Zen on is a giddy-up-faster mount ( https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/ <-- see here for a list of useful insignia bonuses) and MAYBE VIP. For gear you should be working on your proffessions, and doing as least 1 random Leveling queue dungeon per day. The dungeon rewards include 1 piece of level appropriate gear, and AD. 1 Dungeon can probably give you enuff AD to buy a full set of gear or 2- 3 rank 8 enchantments (for you) or runestones (for your companion).
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    A lot of your questions would be easier answered in game, and a good guild would be more happy to give advice.
    You can still be a lone wolf and be in a guild, I spend a great majority of my play time solo but I am in a guild.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I think it is worth starting with saying that no, game is not excessively hard at any point until ToMM :)

If you have issues, you either have a bad build or you are fighting the wrong enemies.

Setting up a character correctly is not that hard, but it takes a bit of knowledge. It is hard to build a character correctly without outside input.

Best advice probably is to find someone you can talk to - and joining a guild is a good way of doing that.

Most build guides on the Web are for character approaching endgame, so they are not that useful while levelling.
  • Options
    nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    If you fill your items with runes, use a companion with items and runes and you use your envounter skills and sprint smart even bosses should be easy.
    I don't suggest buy gears under lv80 but an augment companion, mounts and insignias maybe more 4 companion with good stats.

Read this: https://guides.jannenw.info/2019/11/25/barbarian-dps-guide-for-mod-17/

It is up-to-date except the orcus set, it will be nerfed in next mod so it is not worth investing.
  • Options
    sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    I whizzed through the lvling up in this game with a damn dps cleric as a newcomer. No guides, no tips and no gear. Just whizzed through as a arbiter until i reached lvl 70 and headbutted the wall because it was so confusing. Thankfully, i had the guild advice me to get the free Undermountain gear and start the campaign. I wonder if you are traveling to higher lvl areas at a lower lvl?
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

Yeah we need a bit more information. Not to be condescending but we need to see what you dying to and how you are dying. Just telling us its too hard doesn't say much of what you are fighting, where you are fighting, and what the situation you are experiencing.

If you are under level 80 you shouldn't be spending any money at all for anything. You will waste your money. Especially if it is gear you are buying, because you will outgrow it rendering the money spent wasted.

We need to know what encounters you are using. We need to know what gear you are using, what enchantments you have if any. What level are the weapons you are using? Are you using the proper companion or a companion at all? Yes companions can make or break you easy. What companion gear are you using on that companion. Also are you running any mounts, do they have mount insignia to boost more of your stats.

The reason all of these questions are valid is because you might be overlooking something that is drastically reducing your potential, making the content harder than it should be for you. So please for us to help you, you need to provide a lot more information for us so we can better help you understand where the problem is.

• Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I don't what is up with the forum, but I am getting weirdness from looking at the OP "docterry#3342" of 4 posts in total and the docterry who left these forums back in 2015 with 19 discussions and 28 comments. I will hope the OP returns at some point to read all this sage advice given by the users above.

Without additional information, I agree with @sobi#1980 that it is far too simple to reach level 80. However I know what the OP is talking about. Part of the issue lies within the health potions and their healing properties. If you look at the way they distribute the potions, from level 45 to 60 you are stuck guzzling down inferior potions to the amount a damage and your maximum hit points. The enemies at this time are dealing more damage, you heal less per potion, and leveling feels like a real chore. There are real solutions, but you, the real Docterry need to return to this thread and give us some gear and character stats to help you.

Until then, Have Fun! <3

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Join a good guild for info at least...not to mention guild boons. You can still play solo for the most part, but will have help more readily available for those times of need.

Don't spend Zen/AD on anything...unless it's for rank 9 bonding stones and/or an augment companion (any epic companion will do).

A link to a lot of useful info:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fP_cUugHdsObvQDzLFijGA-mVm_qLmSy0MI62aTLkDM/htmlview#
  • Options
    docterry#3342 docterry Member Posts: 6 Arc User

Make sure you have a few companions in the same category with bonding stones.

Give you companion gear with runes.

You can buy cheap level 8 enchantments on the AH and use ones with lots of power and AP.

When I play a Barbarian (who is not a tank) I have a companion who takes some agrro away from me so that way I don't have all the mobs jumping on me alone.

Look at the AH for armour/weapons for your level. What you can get there is better than what drops.

This all will make a big difference.

Thanks. I have a companion; Man at Arms, level 20 but he is still virtually useless. He attack is very weak, and he doesn't pull the agro. I have been to the vendor that sells more companions, but they are too expensive for me.

• Options
    docterry#3342 docterry Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately all I have learned is that I am somewhat stupid for buying stuff on the AH, or that I need to join a guild -- incidentally all I know about that is that I have to find a guild member with invite privileges but I have no idea how to find such a person.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't know how to easily find the stats for each piece of equipment. ARC has had enough of my money so I think it's time to throw in the towel and move on.
  • Options
    mrbogusmrbogus Member Posts: 12 Arc User

Thank you everyone for your responses. Unfortunately all I have learned is that I am somewhat stupid for buying stuff on the AH, or that I need to join a guild -- incidentally all I know about that is that I have to find a guild member with invite privileges but I have no idea how to find such a person.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't know how to easily find the stats for each piece of equipment. ARC has had enough of my money so I think it's time to throw in the towel and move on.

Wow man, I don't think you even were looking for answers at all other than to confirm you don't know what you're doing. If you really had any intent to find answers you got enough. Instead of using those replies to your advantage, you instead decide to turn this into a troll post (waste of everyone's time). I'm sure if you really wanted to stay in the game, you would only need to ask the question, "So how do I find a guild?".

One of the best answers I've seen is from my long time friend above @some1stolemynickname. I know I'm a bit bias about it being the best answer, but she's not only willing to help new players: also a guild recruiter. So my question to you is, do you always throw money at a F2P game then give up without even trying? You could even play, get this, for free!

By the way, don't worry about any losses in the AH. You'd make a lot more later in the game to compensate for that.
  • Options
    @docterry#3342 you indeed are coming out with a very negative attitude here. here is another post from a new player who had a more constructive approach. maybe some of the questions he asked can help you.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/13136594

as far as your companion goes. companions don't do a lot of good as summoned. they can help a little.. but you really get the bang from your buck from augment companions. they give a lot of stats.

you'd get a lot more help if you were clear in what answers you were looking for and how people could help you. there is a lot of information out there. stats aren't something that really are something you need to be looking for at level 48. that's something you work on balancing later. your gear that you have now is going to be outdated every few levels. many people don't equip anything until level 80. you are expecting too much from the game at this point. you are also acting like somehow you think the people talking to you here have some vested interest in the financials of the game. we don't. we're players just like you. this game does have a learning curve. it would have been helpful if you told us what you spent the ad on. you seem frustrated but you aren't actually communicating much here other than you're frustrated.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited January 2020

You were only level 48. It was still far away from starting doing anything serious.
    If you have followed the quests the game gave you, you would have all the equipment you need because the quests just supply all the needed gear to you (at this stage). You should be okay to reach level 60 without any problem. You don't even need to care about stat or anything (until much later). You don't even need to be in a guild. The game is far easier now than long time ago.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    mrbogus said:

Wow man, I don't think you even were looking for answers at all other than to confirm you don't know what you're doing. If you really had any intent to find answers you got enough. Instead of using those replies to your advantage, you instead decide to turn this into a troll post (waste of everyone's time). I'm sure if you really wanted to stay in the game, you would only need to ask the question, "So how do I find a guild?".

One of the best answers I've seen is from my long time friend above @some1stolemynickname. I know I'm a bit bias about it being the best answer, but she's not only willing to help new players: also a guild recruiter. So my question to you is, do you always throw money at a F2P game then give up without even trying? You could even play, get this, for free!

By the way, don't worry about any losses in the AH. You'd make a lot more later in the game to compensate for that.
    Yeah I was starting to get the impression he is the type of person to walk through the front door of a library and then immediately say, "I can't find what I'm looking for, so I'm leaving!" he then turns around and walks back out of the library.

Silly to make complaints on a forum when you coulda easily spent that time asking in zone chat, sure you might get some trolling in zone chat but someone will step in and answer your questions. It's easy to locate guild leaders. A few simple questions could have easily solved that problem.

Sad that he didn't even try at all.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I will say if you are honestly having trouble the thing to do is random que for a couple dungeons. and focus on that for a few days. use the gear you get and then go back to those zones when you're a couple levels higher than the enemies. although I don't know if that still works. I haven't levelled a toon since this whole scaling fiasco. that's what I always did for the zones I wanted to get in for free bag. other than that I'd just do dungeons (grabbing stronghold quest) to level up with azures in utility slots and guild xp boon. because the levelling zone was never fun for me.
  • Options
    aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Don't buy anything at this point, you need a good companion (active companions are technically better when running solo since they can provide combat advantage (attack from the opposite side where you're active companion is standing, but you will have much higher stats from running an augment companion) and bondings & cheap companion gear you can get (for some reason you can't get companion gear as drops or quest rewards at this point)

Don't rush into an encounter while your encounters are on cooldown. At-Wills do a low amount of damage even if some of the Barbarians are among the best (not sure when they unlock though)

The most important offensive stat is armor penetration / defense ignored which needs to match the stats of the enemies defense or something like that for actually doing 100% of your damage. Problem is you can't tell what that stat is in such areas or at least I can't lol!

It's also possible that you simply don't have a weapon main hand appropiate for your level at this point.

The more time you spend killing enemies the more damage they deal to you. This can (obviously) be very unbalanced depending on your gear or even class (since you're mostly melee but no block or crowd control)

Dunno what you mean by you don't like guilds. If you can find a guild with boons it will give you an advantage. If the people in that guild are HAMSTER or demand things from you you can always leave. Good luck :)
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    There are many guilds with other solo players happy to help when needed but left alone when not. Also, I'm pretty sure standing in PE and ask "can anybody invite me to a guild" will be successfull.

However, from lvling-my-alts-perspective, while the game can be a bit difficult lvling now (especially with a bad companion situation, as pointed out above) you, in my opinion, really just need to
    a) stick to content designed for your lvl
    b) take it easy and don't let the game rush you too fast
    c) stop spending money and instead explain what maps you have been doing and which bosses gave you problems.

If there is something you really can't do (with potions) you can also just ask others for help, if that is really no option you should probably consider your build and try around. I mean, you can look up all the information online, BUT, from my latest lvling endeavour: try it, it should be do-able.

The lvling period in this game IS the tutorial, and it is the perfect time to look around and take your time.
    @thefiresidecat 's advice with random lvling queue dungeons is perfect, too. You will lvl fast, you will get stuff, you will see the game.
    And if you have trouble, get back to Neverdeath, even with a higher-lvl and do the whole questline, you will get a bag, you will do some stuff, you will have an advantage to many in this game: You actually played it. Start Tyranny, try Acquisitions Inc. Go back to an easier map.

This is game is old. It got lots of content. If some content is too hard, take a step back. Figure it out. It's part of the fun, right?
    This is partly the best part of the game, where you have everything yet to see, everything to try, nothing to lose.
    - bye bye -