test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M18 Overworld Map Changes

uimavenuimaven Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 36 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

This thread is for providing bug reports and feedback on the M18 World Map Improvements.

The problems that we needed to address were that the Sword Coast map was getting very crowded, and that moving between one map and another was sometimes not obvious or inconvenient (e.g. Undermountain to Chult).

The biggest change is that all map icons that used to take you to other maps have been moved to a list at the top. This list is always available on all maps. If you have a quest on a map, it will be marked with an icon just like it used to when it was a round icon on the map. You can use the screen arrows to cycle through the map list, use the arrow keys on your keyboard, or click directly on a map name.

The Sword Coast map has been redrawn a bit to show less ocean and more useful land. Because some map icons have been moved to the top, and because the map of the redraw, there is more room for the remaining map icons and hopefully they will overlap less and be easier to select.

We also took the opportunity to harmonize the art style of the maps a bit better.

Tell us what you think!

Comments

• nevernixnevernix Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I would like to see Protector's Enclave on every Map, as it's the central Quest Hub.

Nix*
  • wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I would like to see quick location list on the left or right as icons with text for 12 or so favorite locations (make mark as favorite popup on non-onetime destination). My current list would include:
    * PE
    * Workshop
    * Stronghold
    * Stardock
    * YP
    * Winter Festival
    * Sharandar
    * Dread Ring
    * IWP
    * Caer-Konig
    * Mantol-Derith

New campaign will add few additional locations. Location list should in order of adding (better reordable, but in order of adding/removing will also do). First 9 locations in the list should be selectable by 1-9 keys. So there will be no need for mouse positioning.

Map look inconsistent, Undermountain is colorful, but main map is not. Main map looks little dull, I've liked more colorful better, as there were more visual markers.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Make the Underdark not a big bookmark, but a peel at the corner on the Sword Coast map. First, almost always it's a single area, as other parts only appear during the campaign, second, it's stylish to show it's not a different place, but being under an other. Third, this reduces the amount of areas to a number that can be fully shown on the monitor.

Make bookmarks more presenting of the areas they are. Differing and recognising little circles require the same mental effort to differ letters (more knowingly, read them), so they are not very helpful in their current form. Being a background is also helps to reduce the bookmark space so maybe +1 will fit there in mod19-20.

Maybe just always fixate the Sword Coast to be the first tag for it's general importance.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    A map marker for Protector's Garden would be great.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    I found this rework ugly because it's not consistent, you make map beige, but icons are still colorfull.
    The undermountain map is not even beige.

=> Make everything same color tone, don't use previous icons
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    The scroll left/right menu on top is incredibly time consuming to use. Please add "shortcuts" on left/right side for the most used destinations.

Also +1 for Protectors Garden map marker.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The Sword Coast map doesn't have arrows pointing out which direction Icewind Dale, Chult and Undermountain are located and there is no marker for the entrance to the Underdark.

The compass rose doesn't show which way is North on any map and the compass rose is tilted on the Icewind Dale map.

I do like the color of the maps and the location buttons are easy to see.

-----------------------------------

It would be nice to be able to zone into the Protector's Garden instead of that one entrance on the other side of the map. As it stands, all the services the Protector's Garden offers are more easily accessible without going up there since they're all on way to the Garden.
    Post edited by award9 on
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I know this may be asking a lot. Can we get screenshots and a functionality explanation of how this will be implemented on console?
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    This looks like a change done for consoles and pc players was just an afterthought. It looks bad(does not look like an old map i guess that is what they went for .. burned paper look) and the top part(different maps) look like it is not finished, like something is missing.

I know this may be asking a lot. Can we get screenshots and a functionality explanation of how this will be implemented on console?

Should be easy on consoles all the map areas are at the top in straight line .I guess would be very nice if you are on console
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Yeah, the top list looks like we'll use RB / LB to scroll through it. I imagine there will be a list on the right for each map like there currently is on console, which is nice. Hopefully we can sort the Sword Coast map list by area level (ascending / descending) and alphabetical. I'm not in a guild on preview so I'm not sure how the Guild / Alliance list will look. I hope the Alliance has it's own map with the guilds listed. If strongholds ever get some love we will be running events again and switching between strongholds.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    wilbur626 said:

The scroll left/right menu on top is incredibly time consuming to use. Please add "shortcuts" on left/right side for the most used destinations.

Also +1 for Protectors Garden map marker.

I agree it would be good to have on top of the screen all hubs visible at anytime.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80