test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CDP Topic: Game Content Accessibility

Comments

• tempus86#1158 tempus86 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    While I really like this program, and how much attention it is getting and I am also very concerned that yet again, we have a new mod release, only a mere 3 weeks away, we have multiple Dev created feedback threads for mod 18, and still, its the same old same old, little to no interaction to feedback.
    You have promised better communication, and except for this CDP program, which is just a concept, it is not actually a reality yet, we are yet to really see that.

There are some very valid concerns about Mod18 in the various sections, and with only 3 weeks left and no real communication happening, are we to assume that, Mod18 is going to be released pretty much as it is on preview right now?

I know its the holiday period, and I know Chris and other new members of the team need time to implement real lasting change, but two of the things that was promised moving forward, was better build releases and better communication and I believe this should be applied to Mod18 release, not just future projects
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer
    Bump.

So for the next and final stage prior to the CDP Accessibility proposal is to list what you feel are the ’top three ideas’ that have been raised so far in thread (They can be high level and micro ideas for example High Level: Multiple Types of the same dungeon or Micro: An option that allows you to change 'Telegraph' FX colours palette). Feel free to add your thoughts around them as well. We will let this run for a few days and then I will put a proposal forward on behalf of the CDP that you can all critique before it is handed of to the team.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Chris
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    My top three, in no particular order:
    1. Less punishing scaling (but still scaled)/endless dungeons
    2. More defined progression path for new players-Let's make sure we also address this with each content addition so that we don't find ourselves in a position of needing another major rework.
    3. The idea that each mod should have content for multiple types of players (solo, group, hard-core, casual, crafters, etc)-Not necessarily all at once, on module release, but having more stuff open up via events or time progression as stated by Chris earlier, but make sure each module has something for everyone (or the groups with a sizable population) before moving to the next one.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    My 3 topics are:

1. Dungeons being able to be accessed by all types of players, thus everyone is able to finish all the stories. So even those that only play solo can enjoy the dungeons.

2. Making the early game make more sense to new players/ better game pacing
    3. And better rewards overall in the game
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @mordekai#1901 said:
    > One.
    > Make the journey from noob to L80 easier to navigate.
    > Focusing on gradually introducing the main things a player needs to know before going for End Game. Streamline the levelling campaigns and maybe drop a couple so that it feels less of a grind and more of a stepping stone process. Maybe give each class a proper "Mentor" quest line that runs through the process rather than the odd nominal fetch quest.
    > This would introduce players to basic elements such as the roles of DPS/Tank/Heal and offer advice on builds for each role.
    > For example; since most new players will spend their first days or weeks playing PvE, which will obviously necessitate the best DPS loadout, how about a repeatable quest or series of quests that puts a Healer in a group with 4 NPCs and the job is to keep them alive on a mini dungeon. Or a similar quest that puts a Tank through their paces at managing Aggro and Hit Points.
    >
    > Two.
    > Refresh and reinvigorate Guilds/Strongholds. (And don't just add more stuff to already maxed Guilds, think about the struggling low and mid level folks as well.)
    > When Strongholds first arrived, it was impossible to simply "Join a level 20" Guild and get all the benefits. Everyone who wanted that level of benefits had to contribute toward a guild hitting those levels. Now a new player needs do nothing more than post in PE "LF Guild must have all boons" and within 5 minutes they have everything that took other people a lot of time and effort to achieve. Consequently, it is next to impossible to establish and keep a large enough number of people to run a new guild to level 20. Most people will lose interest long before and jump ship to simply join a ready made L20.
    > If the big overhaul for Strongholds merely ups the available stuff for those already at L20, while that will be great for them, those of us who run middling level low quota guilds will only see a wider gap in available "stuff" and even more reasons for folk to ignore us and go straight to the top end guilds.
    > There are lots of ways to add QoL and exciting content to Guilds AND Alliances, the scope for giving players a fun experience within the Guild/Alliance structure, and should that arrive on the CDP I'd love to offer my two shillings worth.
    > Small guilds offer nice little communities for the players who aren't as comfortable in big groups. I like my little guild and within our comfy little Alliance we have lots of fun but never have issues with player politics and general aggro. But because of how much it costs to improve the Stronghold, I'm unlikely to ever get it near to 20, let alone any further expansions. As a result I'll never, ever, have a truly "Best in Slot" character no matter how much I grind the main content...
    >
    > Three.
    > A genuine focus on such as Andre's suggestions regarding the Able Gamers' Foundation.
    > I admit to having little to no experience or expertise in this area, so can offer nothing by way of advice, but I see it as an essential part of gaming in the 21st century. I am sure there are many resources you can look to for advancing this part of the game.

100% this.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • blackmagidblackmagid Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    My top three are:
    1. Scaling: I used to enjoy running through dungeons with new guildies to show them the dungeon in a leisurely fashion. Not able to do that now - with scaling Malabogs Castle feels harder than Tong and for me that feels wrong.
    2. Progression: Lets be totally honest -the storyline quests are the best bit of the game (level 1 - 60) doesn't matter how many times you run it - after that, it is just grind. The crunch point comes at around 70 when there are so many quests to grab .. so many new players have asked what they are supposed to do at that point - I would suggest the flow needs to be addressed in that area.
    3. Documentation/Tool Tips: Already some very valid points made.

I have not followed up on my suggestion reference a companion barracks, I honestly would really like to see it happen though. I didn't post about a mounts stable as for the most part, you can get blue mounts that will satisfy most insignia bonuses. It just seems to be to be a total waste of AD/time ranking up the same companions on a different character. If a character is subsequently "adjusted" into the ground - I would like the option to pick up a different character and continue playing the game that I have invested my time and energy into without having all progression negated. I can easily move insignia's, runestones & enchantments around for instance.

Thanks
    Black

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Another idea that came to mind to make new players experience less confusing, is to simplify old campaigns: Sharandar, dread ring, icewind dale, and everything up to mod 15 at least making few quest to know the story and then give the campaign completion.

Boons are the only reason to "grind this campaigns" and boons can be changed to be gained "grinding" the campaign dungeon or skimirsh X times instead of repeating boring quest day by day.

Just an idea to make live easier for new players and less confusing.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @blackmagid said:
    I can easily move insignia's, runestones & enchantments around for instance.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Black

Having a "stable" for all the insignias, runestones and enchants you own would imho make more players choose to level up alts. The extremely boring process of unslotting/slotting enchants/insignias from main to alt is what is currently holding me back from leveling up more toons, as it feels like 110% wasted gametime.

Having this + companion stable would absolutely make me create more alts.

The company would suffer could see a slight decline in Zen sale for ad conversion tho, but I think more alts + happier players would more than make up for this. It could even have "premium" slots for the expensive to level up armor/weapon enchants sold in the Zen market. Shared companion slots should work like the shared bank, where you buy additional slots.

Mounts however I think should be limited to max rare quality plus epics bought from Zen market. Legendary mounts should stay ultra-rare and BtC, to ensure company income from VIP / Key sales.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

Overview

Currency needs to be revamped / reorganized, with a better explanation of how players use it.

Goal

Make it easier for new players to see what currencies they have, and of what type (i.e. Campaign, bounty, event, 'cash', etc), and easier for veteran players to find information on their currency levels quickly.

Functionality

Primarily, this would involve reorganizing the Riches tab on the players inventory. While it's nice to currently have a 'Campaign Currencies' section, there is no rhyme or reason to how the currencies are sorted. Looking at a toon right now, I see AI currencies listed first, then Chult, ME, Ravenloft, SKT, then UM, DR, IWD..... if I want to see what I have / need for a particular campaign on this screen, I'm on a hunt. Giving each campaign it's own sub-heading would go a long way to resolving this.

Next, add in bounty currencies in the same way that campaign currencies are seen, with each sub-heading being the zone they are used in.

Event currencies are currently split between their own section, and the 'other currencies'. Again - move everything to its own sub-heading, so I can see right away that I have X Lights and Y Stars of Fortune for WinterFest.

Risks & Concerns

No real risk, here, honestly. It's simply presenting the information that is already there in a more readable format.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    wilbur626 said:

> @blackmagid said:

I can easily move insignia's, runestones & enchantments around for instance.

>

> Thanks

> Black

Having a "stable" for all the insignias, runestones and enchants you own would imho make more players choose to level up alts. The extremely boring process of unslotting/slotting enchants/insignias from main to alt is what is currently holding me back from leveling up more toons, as it feels like 110% wasted gametime.

Having this + companion stable would absolutely make me create more alts.

The company would suffer could see a slight decline in Zen sale for ad conversion tho, but I think more alts + happier players would more than make up for this. It could even have "premium" slots for the expensive to level up armor/weapon enchants sold in the Zen market. Shared companion slots should work like the shared bank, where you buy additional slots.

Mounts however I think should be limited to max rare quality plus epics bought from Zen market. Legendary mounts should stay ultra-rare and BtC, to ensure company income from VIP / Key sales.

this would be SO bad. you'd KILL all of the economy this way. I'd be happy enough if they took gold off the enchants. but making it a little difficult keeps at least a little value on the enchants. it is a pia.. but they've already been devalued so thorougly and insignias they're losing value already. just take em off and put em in the bank. if you want to change them.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    bpstuart said:

Accessibility issue Narrative Coherence.

Feedback Overview: A small guide or event order to make the story consistent.

Feedback Goal: I would like to propose a small tab or list of the order of events in certain story chains. Upon reaching max level, all kinds of campaigns and content becomes available and can be taken out of order. Sometimes this can be jarring. I am introduced to Makos in Maze Engine, i take a break from maze engine when it gets a little grindy and check out chult only for me to learn Makos died, was mourned in River district only to bee back again in chult. I kinda would have liked to know the stoory order so i could have done them for a proper Narritivee experience.

Feedback Functionality: Impact would be minimal as it could be nothing more than a page with Narrative strings laid out like: Maze Engine-> River District-> Jungles of chult. Since many adventures are rather self contained they can be left off or labled as such, but if there is a running plot thread or one campaign is meant to occurred narritivally after another, it would be marked as such and the order given but in an optional tab in your journal.

Risks & Concerns: Some May compelled too do it in prescribed order, but a text box or voice over can makee it clear that following this order is entirely optional.

I am going to comeback and expand on this.
    As well as Narrative order, and when characters are introduced, information like difficulty, suggested item level, can be added to avoid "choice Paralysis" as Chris put is in the stream. That way we can have a clear path for progression that does not diminish the choices already in the game. It will also help refresh long term players of who is who and when the became involved. Because before Celeste was put in the intro, she appeared in a story line and acted like she already knew me and i was like "wait what?"
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • geminisky59#9345 geminisky59 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    1) Scaling - we spent years / money making our toons powerful. We should not be punished because of it.
    2 ) Lack of fresh content - outdated meaningless rewards, stale events, dungeons. Herioc encounters are a poor replacement for this.
    3) No useful professions / mastercrafting - ever since mod 15 professions have become useless.
  • kegsondeck#2000 kegsondeck Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm only going to list a single, two-part top suggestion.

PvP is really the only reason I still play this game - the combat is fun, and although most character customization doesn't exist anymore - it can still be enjoyable.

1. PvP accessibility - I see this too often; people WANT to play PvP but have no idea what to expect or how to play. New players are often a complete liability due to not having gear and not knowing how to play - it's essentially making a team play a man down. This means they are kicked, especially during seasons where veteran players are fighting for leaderboard position. This does nothing to grow the community.

Solution: you could call it a PvP training Q; which offers very minimal glory rewards only, and is not ranked. This Q should couple with some type of limiting factors though to keep trolls from playing - gear score limitations would be ineffective at this. Something like participating in the training Q disqualifies you from participating in that season of ranked play; or puts a cooldown timer on participating in ranked play. Or a set of accomplishments such as a number of Wins before a player no longer has access to the Q. This would push players out into ranked, and limit exploitation.

Secondarily it would benefit the Ranked portion to have a minimum item level, similar to epic dungeons - treat PvP as end-game level content. Putting the minimum at 20,000-21,000 would mean a player queuing into ranked at least has the chance to contribute instead of getting insta-one-shot by any encounter power regardless of a healers presence.

I appreciate your consideration on these accessibility and community improvement suggestions.
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    My three items in no particular order:

Improve game flow and character progression.
    Find a way for all players to want engage in all queued content.
    Fix chat. Not just for lower level players. But for everyone (I hate having to repeat everything in alliance chat).

I'm sure there are tons of other things, such as the PVP post above (I like where it's going), professions, etc. but those would be apt for anther CDP.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
This discussion has been closed.