test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yarrow's Mod 17 PVE Hunter Trapper Build

2»

Comments

• jman3l#5579 jman3l Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Apprentice spoils set will be better in dungeons when running with a good tank. Constructed demise could work pretty well for soloing. Northside tested it against orcus and lostmauth set. Unfortunately it lost to both of them. Hopefully with the orcus set nerf, other sets will be viable.
  • typo#6563 typo Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I made a small build update this evening to incorporate a tad stronger role for at-wills. Core rotations remain unchanged and use of Careful Attack is also unchanged. But what is now different is the addition of Rapid Shot/Strike which helps to enhance AP recovery and adds to DPS, especially by maximizing the effects of Critical Action + More than Disruptive. I'm not delaying the next encounter, but rather just filling the slight void between encounters with the at-will. The end result has a more aggressive feel. Against mobs in particular, the enhanced AP recovery + Primal Gwanitis boots allow much more frequent Disruptive Shots, which keeps the buffs up more, ensuring more consistent big hits and a faster fight.
    Post edited by typo#6563 on
    Extraneous Typo

• rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    typo#6563 said:

I've been thinking of switching to the Music Box set after the Orcus set gets nerfed. In a party, assuming the tank has the attention with aggro, it should not be hard to get into position to really take advantage of the 15% dmg bonus of the Music Box set. Interestingly, I have tried out the Demise set and it's not a bad alternative, especially for soloing.

But specifically comparing the Demise set with the Orcus set, I'm not completely sure on that. The Orcus bonus will vary based on the hit points. It may not be much difference between these two sets and the Orcus set might have a slight advantage.

But I think the Music Box set will clearly be better where parties are concerned.

It would be interesting to see if the the Music Box set or Demise set bonuses stack....if they do, a legendary snail with an otherwise high AP gain build would be pretty impressive. Leg snail would essentially turn Disruptive Shot into a 15%AP power.
    edited December 2019
    Made a short video to demonstrate this type of build. It feels viable as an alternative to Warden Melee, even if not as good. It's certainly fun though.

https://youtu.be/sC85AYWGE8I
    Extraneous Typo

• rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    typo#6563 said:

Made a short video to demonstrate this type of build. It feels viable as an alternative to Warden Melee, even if not as good. It's certainly fun though.

https://youtu.be/sC85AYWGE8I

Nice video. One thing you might want to consider to boost your damage is using a companion rather than an augment. Since this is an ME (I'm assuming), you are probably way over the cap on stats for this content so the loss of stats from switching from an augment to companion would not impact your DPS at all. Not only would a companion add to your damage, but they can also set you up so that you can get combat advantage. The damage boost from having combat advantage alone would make up for any potential damage loss from stats (read: power) many times over. Just a thought....

Thanks for sharing your build, and giving us a glimpse into how it plays.
    edited December 2019
    @rubytrue I routinely run the augment out of habit, but for solo you make a good point, especially on the combat advantage. :)

Mostly I just wanted to show a fairly clean view of the rotation concept without distracting effects of other party members, etc. In a party, I might also use Careful Attack too, but by myself it didn't seem worth it.

Anyway, despite the generally sad state of Hunter, I feel this is a fairly effective way to play it.

Thorned Roots will be a more compelling option in Mod 18, but I wouldn't write off Critical Action exactly because it provides a bursty quality to DPS, can be frequently proced as shown here, and the use of Rapid Shot/Strike between encounters really helps to get the most of that I think.
    Post edited by typo#6563 on
    Extraneous Typo

Crushing roots is working as intended on preview. It is now BIS with seekers vengeance on melee warden for single targets.

I'm still working on a single target archer build. Unfortunately gushing wounds dot is scaled by 50% on the preview server. It must have been a bug before =/.
    edited December 2019

Crushing roots is working as intended on preview. It is now BIS with seekers vengeance on melee warden for single targets.

I'm still working on a single target archer build. Unfortunately gushing wounds dot is scaled by 50% on the preview server. It must have been a bug before =/.

That is very helpful to know on GW. As far as Crushing Roots, in my own personal testing, it seems to be working ok right now in Mod 17. But I don't know everything! What exactly is wrong with it now?

Also, why would you say a Warden Melee should use Crushing Roots, as opposed to Blade Hurricane? Did you possibly mean to say Hunter Melee?
    Extraneous Typo

I tested in preview server. Crushing roots does more damage than blade storm on warden melee. The extra time from the roots on hindering strike is enough to beat blade storm for single target fights. Could be an RNG thing, but it was consistently doing more damage.
    @jman3l#5579 Wow, that is really something. I would love to see combat logs showing a comparison.
    Extraneous Typo

edited December 2019
    Looking ahead to Mod 18, here are the noteworthy changes we know of and how these changes compare to their current settings in Mod 17:
    • Disruptive Shot - magnitude increased to 300 (up from 250 magnitude)
    • More than Disruptive - now increases your ranged damage by 10% for 5 sec (up from 5% damage for 5 sec)
    • Slasher's Expertise - now increases your melee damage by 10% for 10 sec (up from 5% damage for 10 sec)
    • Longstrider's Shot - magnitude increased to 525 (up from 480 magnitude)
    • Gushing Wound - magnitude and DoT magnitude increased to 300 (up from 280 magnitude for both)
    • Aspect of the Falcon - now grants a 10% damage bonus (up from 5% damage)
    • Thorned Roots - increased magnitude against control immune targets to 150 (up from 100 magnitude)
    • Hawk Shot - magnitude increased to 210 (up from 170 magnitude)
    • Prey (from Predator) - now increases ranged damage by 10% (up from 5% damage)
    • Biting Snare - can now occur every 15 seconds instead of 20 (i.e. more frequent dailies)
    This is clearly an improvement for any trapper or other stance-switching type of builds. In the case of the build I shared, the following stands out:
    • The focus on high AP gain and firing Disruptive Shot becomes even more viable, especially when considering the related updates to the feats More than Disruptive and Biting Snares.
    • Thorned Roots gains a touch more viability for single target use.
    • From anecdotal evidence, it seems that the bleed damage ticks of Gushing Wounds will become subject to the -50% melee damage limitation of the Longshot feat. This is partially mitigated by the increase in magnitude of ticks and the damage buff from Disruptive Shot. But since the build leans on the Range stance for most of its damage (typically firing about double the rate of attacks in Range stance), it approx. averages out to +25% damage overall, which is arguably still better than Rate of Change.
    Note: I do think Rate of Change is currently underpowered. My recommendation would be for Rate of Change to be upgraded to +15% and diminish at a rate of -2.5% per second (for a total duration of 6 seconds, which is slightly longer). This would then make the Rate of Change feat much more worth it in my opinion.
    Extraneous Typo