test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Meet Neverwinter's new Executive Producer!

Comments

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    @cwhitesidedev#9752

PS - Do you like .gifs and memes? Cause I got a lot of'em! ;)

va8Ru.gif
  • reptileking24reptileking24 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hi Chris and a warm welcome,

I'm aware that all answers will be on the stream HOWEVER... Can we maybe get a hint if ANYTHING is being considered about the foundry? Best of luck and power to you. Can't wait to see what you're gonna bring to the table 😁
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer
    dolrey said:

@cwhitesidedev#9752 Hello :) Here is question for you:

One of the main disadvantages of this game (from the point of view of players) are game bugs. Experienced players will agree with me that every new module goes live with tons of bugs (in character's skills, mechanics of mobs, quests, items etc). High part of them usually is fixed in 1-2 month after module release. But some of them (not less annoying) exist much much longer. For example I've been asking for fix of one bug with CC immunity in PvP (which appeared in module 3) for TWO!! years.

What does the game need in your opinion to change this and reduce number of bugs? And what are you going to do with this? Maybe more testing or more time of developers team for fixing or maybe some changes to development process?

Ps: also for example same bug with CC immunities in PvP appeared in mod 16. Some players abuse it to get advantage in PvP. I've wrote everywhere but still no fix.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1252209/dazing-strike-of-rogue-interrupts-channeling-skills-which-give-cc-immunity

Hi Dolrey,

Thanks for your post and comments. This topic will be discussed in the stream.

Chris
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Hey Chris I excited to see a new face as well as new ideas related to the game, however I'll be working during your live stream.
    Will you be able to post a recap or recorded version of the stream for those of us that are unable to make it?
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer
    sobi#1980 said:

@cwhitesidedev#9752

Hi Chris and a warm welcome to you.

Ever since you have joined, i have seen an escalating improvement in this game so your influence is already taking effect and that is good to know.

I had a question which i personally feel like NW is hung up on. What do you feel is the defining quality of the game NW? Do you feel that NW is actually implementing changes to improve what makes NW better from other MMO's? This will become more clearer as you see new major MMO's releasing next year.

If you happened to wonder what my opinion is regarding the above, the defining quality is "COMBAT system" for me. I cannot fathom any other quality being more important than this.

Hi Sobi,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. This is a really good question. I think holistically the team members all have their favorite areas but i will certainly talk about mine in the stream as well thoughts on the future and how we plan to evolve.

Thanks

Chris

hello and welcome @cwhitesidedev#9752

i hope you have a great time working with neverwinter. I have really enjoyed the game since i started playing in module 9 a couple years back.

However, I have noticed a consistent downward trend in the player base since i joined on pc and am worried that it will continue. i know steam charts are not everyone on pc and do not include xbox or ps4, but those numbers match my experience on pc with the number of people online, the number of instances available, the number of folks around in guild/alliance and in dungeon queue wait times. instances are becoming fewer and fewer everywhere, in new and older content. even winterfest today had fewer instances than last couple years.

anyways, if you are able to answer:

what exiting plans (if any) do you have to boost the game player base and improve in game numbers (get new players, entice players that have left to come back, keep players etc.) and would you consider using twitch, you tube, discord, steam, etc to help promote the game itself, especially in conjunction with a new module drop? I mean really use gaming resources, not just pay a popular streamer to stream it once or send a single obscure announcement out through bleeding cool or ign (had to learn about the new module from a link in discord cause it wasn't even on arc yet).

will neverwinter online/cryptic (staff) be able to keep up with the existing content and provide new and fresh content? the game has a huge amount of content and introduces "new" modules often. for example: will nwo/cryptic staff be able to keep up with the multitude of bug fixes; keep updating ongoing content every module (like professions, stronghold quests, legacy campaign quests, etc) that should be updated with every new module but keep getting overlooked or pushed back again and again; increase the number of dungeons in the queue list (it is quite small for the age of the game imo-where are the old dungeons-why are they not permanent); provide truly new content with exciting new concepts (stop rehashing old things like heroic encounters, demonic heroic encounters and old code for new places (vallenhas)), etc.???

thank you for your time and again, welcome! look forward to your stream

Hi Kstubble,

Thanks for your kind words. I am already enjoying it very much at Cryptic and I am proud to be a member of the team. Again great questions that i am looking forward to talking about in the stream. We have news and thoughts in regard to both the areas you mention and we plan to work more closely together moving forward with CDP.

Looking forward to the stream and i hope you have a great weekend.

Chris
    brewald said:

@cwhitesidedev#9752

Hi Chris, welcome to Neverwinter.
    I assume you are ready to answer to undreds of questions ;)

Hi Brewald,

I am really looking forward to all the questions (although it is quite possible that not everyone will like the answers (-: ) and working together to make Neverwinter the very best it can be.

Chris
    micky1p00 said:

What aspects, that you are willing to share) of the current workflow (Neverwinter productions) in your opinion need improvement? What aspects are in your opinions are the strong points of the production, and should be kept as is, applied to other things, and/or learned from?

What insights you think you can take from the other companies and games you were part of and apply to NW?

Any insightful postmortems, or common pitfalls that game companies tend to fall into? Anything that can apply to NW?

Do you consider the external IP NW based on (D&D WoTC) something that makes production easier or shackles that often restrict and create overhead?

Thoughts about the release structure in NW, and the length of iteration, where most updates from class balance to fixes, QoL and content are around the 4 month mod releases?

This is while good for content, is extremely slow in terms of "broken" items, class balance, and other aspects.

Also to note code merge issues where changes that done during a mod life, a reverted on next mod release due to probably code merging.

Tales of Old was a good example of a good idea, IMO, but was overshadowed by multiple bugs, some still not fixed. Same with other aspects, like professions reworks, counter stats, and multiple other ideas, that in their base are good but the implementation is lacking, probably due to dead lines. Will this be just the way it is, or anything considered to alleviate the issue? To allow more polished release of complex changes that take more than a single mod. And on the other hand more rapid fixes of events and important bugs.

What is the general priority of the content, system and design focus? Luring new players, or the retention and periodic return of established players? In recent mods there was a significant devaluation of everything veteran players accumulated and worked for while at the same time there were added significant shortcuts for new players, catch up gear, legacy campaigns, quick ways to get significant gear (MEs). To the point that a player who didn't play for a year returned in a better position over if they would have tried to keep up with the changes. Will this be the ongoing philosophy? Turnover over retention?

Hi Micky,

Wow lots of well thought out questions. I will try to cover them all in the stream.

Meanwhile here are a few simple answers.

- We intend to share our high level backlog for 2020 (when it is finalized- nearly there) with the community on the CDP for discussion, brainstorming and evolution.
    - We are currently working on all areas of release quality as a primary focus.
    - The IP doesn't shackle us at all really. We are all huge D and D fans too and enjoying working with WoTC.

More answers coming soon Micky. Thanks for taking the time to reach out and i hope you have a good weekend.

Chris

@cwhitesidedev#9752

Hi Chris, Welcome!
    I was once a very active member of the Neverwinter community and played the game on a daily basis for years. I still haunt these forums on occasion in the hopes that this game will return to the game so many of us once loved.

I was an officer in a very active guild with a full roster. I spent hours gathering information about this game for my guildmates and posting about it on our forums. We had several weekly events that were always full and several officers who went out of their way to provide entertainment and direction for our guild. We had a purpose and reason for playing and spending. Although we were of many different skill levels we were always able to play together no matter the content or the challenge. (No longer possible today because of Scaling, BUGS and "Balance"!)

Sadly, over the years I saw many of our members leave this game due to mismanagement and bugs. The lack of communication from developers and changes made to classes in the name of balance were the death knell for many more.

We are still waiting for balance by the way. I have seen MOD 19 suggested as a time when this will be addressed. ARE THEY SERIOUS?? They break the game for MANY classes in MOD 16 and then EXPECT people to wait for MONTHS for a fix? What exactly are we supposed to do while we wait? I can give you a clue.... Play something else. Each and every day that passes it is easier to NOT play Neverwinter.

RANT: Priorities are truly messed up at Cryptic. Some well documented bugs have been around for YEARS. If you break something FIX IT! For crying out loud even the tooltips are wrong 50% of the time. Do not make massive changes to game mechanics / classes and then worry about fixing things later! The number of Warlocks alone that I know who no longer play is depressing, let alone the others. /RANT

Many more stopped playing or participating because most of our hard earned accomplishments in our Stronghold became useless and ALL of the events became bugged and unplayable for MONTHS after MOD 16 and some have not recovered to this day.

Our pleas and feedback fell on deaf ears so we stopped giving it and also stopped spending and ultimately many more of us just stopped playing.

What do you plan on doing to bring these people back? Is this a cut your losses situation?

When will we see love for Guilds and Strongholds? I know of several people who logged in every week just for guild events. No events + HAMSTER rewards + bugged content = no people.

When will we see a "Bugtober" again to fix these often YEARS old bugs? Just take a few minutes to read through the bug threads on the forums both on live and preview. Notice how many that were reported on preview went to live and then on to XBox and PS4... Truly sad.

When can we spend money on something and it still have value next week? I personally stopped buying Zen when almost everything I bought became obsolete over night. Even lockboxes have no value now, so why even buy keys?
    Don't even get me started on the nerfs to VIP and companions. What is the point of spending when everything will be useless in the next MOD?

You have your work cut out for you, I wish you luck! Hopefully you can get the DYS out of the DYSFUNCTION that has plagued this game for the last few MODS.

Hi Oremonger,

I am sorry you are frustrated but it is great to see your passion (I hope we can further productive conversations). We will be hosting a whole load of topics on the CDP for discussion that can lead to actions items. As i said in an above reply we will are heavily focused on Release Quality at the moment. Do note that not everyone is going to agree with what every player wants or what we think in terms of what is best for the game, but the open discussion we have moving forward will provide insight from both sides allowing us all to have a better understanding of needs with less assumptions and more data and with this knowledge we can work together to build worlds and make Neverwinter the very best it can be. There is a lot to love in the game and also a lot of work to do.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Chris

Hi Chris and a warm welcome,

I'm aware that all answers will be on the stream HOWEVER... Can we maybe get a hint if ANYTHING is being considered about the foundry? Best of luck and power to you. Can't wait to see what you're gonna bring to the table 😁

Hi Reptileking,

Thanks for the warm welcome. My focus currently isn't on the Foundry just yet but it is an area that is on our backlog with lots of potential. More details to follow.

I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Chris

@cwhitesidedev#9752

PS - Do you like .gifs and memes? Cause I got a lot of'em! ;)

Many thanks for the warm welcome Kolatmaster. Keep them coming!

Chris

Hey Chris I excited to see a new face as well as new ideas related to the game, however I'll be working during your live stream.

Will you be able to post a recap or recorded version of the stream for those of us that are unable to make it?

Hi Xenocide,

I will double check and get back to you.

Chris
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Hello Chris and Welcome!!!

@silverrrrrrr already hit you with THE best question, so I guess I'll have to settle for the next best.

Cake or pie?

Good Luck

Hello Chris and Welcome!!!

@silverrrrrrr already hit you with THE best question, so I guess I'll have to settle for the next best.

Cake or pie?

Good Luck

Hi MDarkangel,

Thanks for the welcome. Cake!!!

Looking forward to chatting with you in the future.

Chris
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

Hi Xenocide,

Chris
    The stream will be recorded and uploaded to our YouTube page afterwards :)
  • bspallybspally Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Greetings Chris and good luck!

I have only 1 question - You made TOMM for 10% players, Arena (pvp) for less than 10% players (due to cosmic requirements for the gear to have a chance to compete there and bugs)...

Do you realize what our online will be with such a great approach ?

P.S. Fix pvp bugs. Just go there and try to play your game
    Make Neverwinter's players willing to buy Zen great again!
    bspally said:

I have only 1 question - You made TOMM for 10% players, Arena (pvp) for less than 10% players (due to cosmic requirements for the gear to have a chance to compete there and bugs)...

Hi Bspally,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

I am no sure if your question is actually a question or sarcasm? Would you mind rephrasing it so we can answer it better in the stream please?

Thanks

Chris
  • joe7777joe7777 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Another question for the stream: Blacklake Terror's quest was supposedly removed since the Skirmish itself was removed, and if it was why was it the only one? I know there is a quest for Tower District's Skirmish as well. Shouldn't they all be removed?
    joe7777 said:

Another question for the stream: Blacklake Terror's quest was supposedly removed since the Skirmish itself was removed, and if it was why was it the only one? I know there is a quest for Tower District's Skirmish as well. Shouldn't they all be removed?

HI Joe,

Thanks for the question. I will look into this and get back to you on the stream.

Cheers

Chris
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    If this is the same Chris Whiteside I met at E3 in 2014, who took the time to talk shop with an indie developer (myself) when I hounded him outside his booth, Neverwinter is in luck.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited December 2019

Hi Xenocide,

Chris
    The stream will be recorded and uploaded to our YouTube page afterwards :)
    on the topic of inclusivity... is there any way to get some kind of subtitle or even a written summary of the stream. I'm hearing impared. not completely deaf but a good portion of the way there. I try to follow the streams on occasion but I mostly can't. I'd love to be able to read what happened. I know others like me.. who also play this game but have hearing difficulties. it would be nice to have that option.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    bspally said:

PVP is dead imo they should just cut pvp loose. only a few people play pvp. it's not worth the dev time.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Welcome Chris @cwhitesidedev#9752 .

Everyone beat The Took to the good NW questions.
    So Took will go with a probative interrogation so we can get to know you:

1) Cake or cookies?
    2) Cats or dogs?
    3) Paper or plastic?
    4) TomAYto or TomAHto?
    5) Chocolate or strawberry?
    6) Football or futbol?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Hello Chris,

first of all, I wish you a great start in your new position. Welcome to Neverwinter!

I've been playing this game since a few days after the end of closed beta and have seen this game change a lot over time. Don't see the next lines as a rant, but more as an analysis of what happened in the game on the PVE side, and pardon me for my english (it's not my mother language).

When the game started the amount of grinding was relatively low. Most of the progression was given by completing dungeons and getting the armor sets, as they had pretty strong bonuses. Once you got your Tier 2 set for a given character you still had to grind for better enchantments but the benefit over a certain level was marginal. This meant that you had more time to work on alts, widening the whole experience, and more time to help other players in your guild and in the game in general. Taking time to teach new players how to run a certain dungeon was not a big "loss" in terms of your character advancement. On top of that there were no specific DPS or healing checks in the game, so you had more freedom in choosing a party to go on a dungeon and more ways of making it through.
    All these things created a healthy mindset where people were not giving up at the first wipe in a dungeon, where they were giving time to learn to those who were new. Very often I saw people just grabbing the first five guildies available and go try a dungeon with a strange party composition. Success felt like a real reward in those cases and people were talking about it for days. At least for me I can say that at that time I was playing the game for the sheer fun of it. That is actually the spirit of a D&D game, where there are no "winners", and winning means having fun.

Over time Neverwinter became a more "grindy" eastern-style game, where you essentially progress through small increments on a myriad of different things (equipment, sets, enchants, runestones, artifacts, mounts, companions, insignias, you name it...). This completely changed the behaviour of people. If you have to grind continuously you don't have so much time to give to others, and succeeding in the content becomes paramount. Adding DPS, and more recently healing, checks means that optimized compositions become necessary and everybody starts to run those compositions, both to save time and guarantee success (see the time when everybody wanted to run with 2 clerics and starting dungeons was a pain due to scarcity of DCs).
    This also increases the amount of toxicity in the game. Yesterday I was trying to find a party to run Infernal Citadel on preview and I saw people dropping because not everybody in the party had voice chat, and I said to myself "What happened to this game?". And I've seen an infinite amount of times requests to kick-out players as soon as there was a wipe because the "tank cannot tank", the "healer is poor" or "DPS is too low". This kills players retention in the game.
    I'm not against very hard content. The old Dread Vault was a very hard dungeon and is still my favourite. I'm against "the only way of doing it" and the toxic environment brought by the necessity to grind.

I've seen a lot of time spent in the last days about class balance and exact evaluation of the DPS of each single path. While class balance is important, if there was less need to grind and no need for specific checks, you could easily find groups of people trying dungeons with "underdog" paths just for the fun of doing it (and for bragging rights afterwards). What I see now are a lot of angry people saying that path X does 15% more damage than them, and those playing path X angry at the nerfs they get.

There will always be a meta, but if the grinding need is lower, playing the meta becomes boring and many people will try to run content in a different way spending their time (and money) on more characters. I spent far more money on this game in the first two years than in the rest. Now I only have time to focus on my Ranger (due to the grind), while before I had a ranger, a warlock, a paladin, a rogue and a cleric able to run all the content in the game and was slowly building up my Barbarian (GWF at the time) and Wizard.

Mmmm, it looks like rant after all... but, seriously, it is not. I love this game and hope it will become better and better.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

Many thanks for the warm welcome Kolatmaster.

Keep them coming!

Chris

va8Ru.gif
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    @cwhitesidedev#9752
    Hello Chris and welcome. I will attempt to join the Twitch but lately been having issues logging into my Twitch account. I suggest you try to review users recent comments by looking at their history on these forums. It should give you a little insight to their psychological hangups. I wasn't planning on getting back on the forums today. My plane landed at the airport a few hours ago and Brian picked me up. But my husband (@hotfrostworm) said there was something I needed to see on the forums. I won't be playing until module 18 lands on Live in January.

Moderator removed Terms of Service violation.

Have Fun! <3
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    wb-cenders.gif
  • bspallybspally Member Posts: 36 Arc User

bspally said:

Hi Bspally,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

I am no sure if your question is actually a question or sarcasm? Would you mind rephrasing it so we can answer it better in the stream please?

Thanks

Chris
    It was a sarcasm for sure)

But please try to look at the game from the players side. Put aside all development problems and so on. Just try to think what is missing in the game. And what do you need to make it done.

You are making a great affort to establish communication with your players, I appreciate that and want to help. And the best way i can - is to buy zen or use other ways to invest in the game.

The question is:

What do you need to have the opportunity to introduce more group content in each new module?
    Master expeditions and TOMM both are great ideas. But you made ME to boring and easy while TOMM is too hard for most of players due to hard gear check. What was the problem to make harder versions of ME and easier version of TOMM? In the way it was done - most of players had no new content since m16.

And the same question with PVP. I disagree with the statement that "pvp" is dead.

You (the Dev team) made a new map. New pvp seasons. Great. But you completly ignored players feedback with bugs and some critical disbalance issues that was written many times here. And you made no solution to the only queue for topgeared and new players. Why?

Also take a look at the rewards and please tell me what is the reason for new players to join pvp? What kind of reward can they get? Or if the new map and whole pvp was made for geared players only - there is gear score limits to join the queue?
    And finally. What is the problem to bring back GG (gauntlegrym) event and make it attended by the players?
    It was a good idea to mix PVP and PVE. Revive it

Thanks again for taking time to read and the best wishes for the upcoming holidays!
    Make Neverwinter's players willing to buy Zen great again!
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well, welcome to Neverwinter, any chance that we'll be seeing more changes to the Winter Festival this year?

A few suggestions for starters:
    + placing drops from the Gift of Simril directly into the players inventory, and reducing the max. number of players allowed inside one instance might help with the lag in the event area some of us are experiencing every day.
    + let us exchange Gift of Simril for Starlight Bags, after all these years i'm just sick and tired of all the scamming going around during all seasonal events, that require a group for some rewards. and no, not everyone has a group of friends or guild/alliance members on stand by all the time for these kind of things.
    + please change the loot from Starlight Bags from bound to character to bound to account.
    + and it would be nice if fishing (not just during the event, but in general) would become more fun and/or rewarding.

Anyway, good luck with your new job, and i wish you all the best for the holiday season.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Welcome Chris,

A couple of questions for the stream:

Are there plans for future mods to have significantly longer, more rewarding campaigns that have no repeatable quests? My favorite RPG was the Baldurs Gate series. I know it wasn't an MMO(and MMO is NOT what brought me to Neverwinter), but it had a long story(60 hours of playable content in the orginal), and the story varied based on your class, and alignment(alignment of course is missing in Neverwinter). It was quite enjoyable to replay the game as a different character with a different class, and alignment because the story changed, even if only subtly. I was very happy with mod 16s campaign, no repeatable quests(I'm not counting the MEs as those are optional IMHO).

What I did not like about mod 16, was that I was able to finish it in less than one day, but I could access the final dungeon for 2 more weeks after that due to not having the right gear, or because groups going in were shunning lower geared players(the gate was 20k IL, but every group was requesting 22-24k IL before they'd play with you). I would love to see soloable versions of the story ending dungeons even if the only rewards they give is astral diamonds.

Are there plans to revamp the system by which players access events such as Tales of Old? I have a few toons that are more than capable of running that content, but due to player elitism(my guilds were of zero help, due to player base decline on xbox), I was unable to finish collecting the currency I needed to finish the artifacts, or gear I wanted. It makes doing these types of events frustrating, to the point of shunning them in the future. I really despise spending hours trying to find a group to run with, only to have someone leave before we finish our 5th run for any number of reasons. It really makes events feel like a waste of time.

I would also like to see all items from chests in events(such as companions picked up in Tales of Old), unbound on pick up. I picked up some decent companions, but have no use for them on any of my toons at this time. But because they are bound to account on pick up, I can't sell them for astral diamonds on the auction house. I figure there was at least 700k astral diamonds that I can't cash in on because of these account bound companions and artifacts.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Let's define this so people stop asking the wrong questions.

Producer - A person who supervises and controls the administrative, financial, and commercial aspects of staging a show or performance or of creating and distributing any form of media. Duties can include; Develop relations between management, outside vendors, site production, post production and customer to develop premium products. Manage production of crew, talent, timelines as well as location responsibilities. Schedule, gather content, manage content, develop site, QA, bug fixes as well as timely releases of materials.

They add the "Executive" title as a means of rank, which means he is in charge of a team of producers. He is not a "developer or programmer" as this forum seems to abuse the "Cryptic Developer" tag too often. The questions you should be asking of him on Twitch Tuesday is;
    • There are fewer players, rough estimate 40% less than 6 months ago, this must be hurting Zen sales. How does your team plan to promote this game, get more players back online, and others interested in playing this game?
    • In April the Foundry was destroyed, Tales of Old was just rehash of old dungeons Cryptic removed in 2015, and Hell Pit is a solo event for the top 5% players. Are there any plans in 2020 to implement more community based events and devices to unite the players?
    • Assuming the worst happens yet again, can Cryptic survive, if Magic the Gathering is delayed or cancelled?
    In the event, I am not with you live on Tuesday there are my questions.

Don't forget to have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
This discussion has been closed.