test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty?

Comments

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Day 21

pros - boss everybody have been waiting for since the first day of the event
    - one little funny twist

cons - everything else. The fight was incredibly boring, tedious and simple.
  • bobby4700bobby4700 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 179 Arc User
    All i got say is awesome event .
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Relatively, this event is less boring than what is offering in Neverwinter right now.
    Personally, I am not expecting the upcoming Winter Festival will be more fun.
    Hell Pit in its vanilla form is kind of boring.
    Hence, I invented "fun" doing it.
    Week 1: just kept running in circle and not hitting anything until the end to see if I could do it.
    Week 2: Not to use Power-up, try not to use health potion, daily.
    Week 3: Not to use Power-up. try not to use health potion, daily.

If I don't even have a chance to die, it is not fun for me.
    In short, it is a good event comparing with what is (and was) offered in Neverwinter recently.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

If I don't even have a chance to die, it is not fun for me.

Well, the 2nd week really was kind of Russian roulette. =)

My point of view:
    0) I hate to be an alpha tester without being told. Well, I guess at PC platform it is no longer necessary to mention it, but anyway...
    1) I seriously doubt that anyone checked the difficulty settings, which from piece of cake (1st week) skipped to a nightmare (2nd week) - to end up in somehow reasonable boundaries (3rd week).
    2) As well I somehow doubt that implemented concept - where killing your opponents brings you no benefit, on the contrary just a risk of spawning more dangerous adversaries - was intentional.
    3) Random mob generator is a nice incentive, but it should give you mixtures of somehow comparable difficulty. That was not the case. We were drawing sticks for a nice ride versus CC overload.
    4) If this event was giving us a glimpse into the next mod, for god's sake check the CC powers. How potent those are - and how they interact with various control resistances.
    5) I, personally, would appreciate letting us use more than one character. (even if the total amount of 2nd and 3dr level currency would stay the same) That is out of curiosity, call it playfulness or whatever.
    rikitaki said:

5) I, personally, would appreciate letting us use more than one character. (even if the total amount of 2nd and 3dr level currency would stay the same) That is out of curiosity, call it playfulness or whatever.

I would love that so that I can see the pain of the other class (I used Barbarian).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well, they could half the HP of Wilfred in both versions on Day 21, and it would still be more then enough, just give him another ability as compensation, so that this fight isn't so bloody mind numbing dull.

Changing the whole event to less enemies in each wave, but with a little bit more of HP, might also be worth thinking about...
    less is more.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User

I like the event, the solo challenge, the monsters I know from books, the soul contract, me headbanging on deathmetal while the Pit Champion says- If my mother would see me now...-.
    Brutal.
    And the rewards are awesome.
    Hell should be hell, drudging, unfit for life. MobCC does just that.
    Also,if they let us without CC to dps the mobs, then the dps classes would have had an unfair advantage and the event is for all players.
    Congratulation on the dev team , special mention to the artists, thank you for the event !

The problem was simply for some dps classes even that didn't slow them down much. For others(like my 21k IL warlock) week 2 rnds 4/5 were just brutal. a couple of those days got lucky and got an easy mix of mobs. Using healthstone 35-30 times and dying 10-20 times was not fun. And that was per day for 5 out of the 7.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Day 21 - Some people are on the pitch … they think it's all over... it is NOW!

Round 1 - super easy, got the shield power up blah blah blah

Round 2 - nice twist[s[ quite well thought out.

The battle was taking so long due to me being set up for AOE that I died out of boredom... well actually I jst let my toon die to find out if it was sudden death. It wasn't.

Respecced for single target DPS at the campfire and fought toe to toe for maybe 5 mins? Longer? I dint time it.

Used about 5 or 6 health stones out of sheer laziness.
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User

Day 21 - Some people are on the pitch … they think it's all over... it is NOW!

Round 1 - super easy, got the shield power up blah blah blah

Round 2 - nice twist[s[ quite well thought out.

The battle was taking so long due to me being set up for AOE that I died out of boredom... well actually I jst let my toon die to find out if it was sudden death. It wasn't.

Respecced for single target DPS at the campfire and fought toe to toe for maybe 5 mins? Longer? I dint time it.

Used about 5 or 6 health stones out of sheer laziness.

Yeah, he didn't hit too hard, but he had a HAMSTER ton of health.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    While I enjoyed the minor twist, overall it was another example of devs not seeing whether something is fun. For classes lacking damage output... that final boss must be brutal. It was horribly boring for me, as a barbarian. I was never below half health, which is fine, but it was just really boring.

The majority of the event was either boring or poorly balanced.
    Week 1: Boring, too long.
    Week 2: Poorly balanced, too long. Excessive unavoidable control.
    Week 3: The right length, but erratic balance and not strategic. Excessive unavoidable control. Usually easier than week 2 because there is less variance. Boring final fight.

The rewards are okay, but they require a mountain of time for most players.

It's in theory an event for steady but not hardcore players. Realistically, it wasn't fun for the majority of my guild and I think only 2 of us (out of a nearly full guild) finished it. This event needs serious work, as does every event the Devs have launched in over a year. I don't see signs that they actually playtest for whether things are fun and rewarding for the majority of their player base.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • xxaaaxxxxaaaxx Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Hate to just echo others but it looks like most had a similar experience to mine.

1st week, I could've summoned an attack companion and let it solo the event while I was afk; at least I could've used the ~15 minutes productively instead of being bored out of my skull.

2nd week, it was either more trash, or ridiculous CC, no in between. I don't know which dev was responsible for that, and most of what I was screaming at the screen at the time would get me permabanned, so I'll simply say: no devs, spending half the round flying thru the air and climbing down after being knocked onto the walls...isn't fun.

3rd week, 'the most difficult chellenge'....has been a complete joke. Mobs so weak and mob density so low that I wonder if this was meant to be week 2 and they accidentally got switched, and then a 'boss' that's just a weak-hitting trash mob with a bigger hp bar.

Overall it wasn't a bad idea, and I'll gladly take the loot and the mount eventually, but you can do better next time.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    Here's something I only just noticed until now. The long final fight gave me enough time to observe it in action.

The falling AOE damage renders a Powrie companion completely and utterly useless.

The problem is that her AI causes her to always want to use Marauder's Rush, which has a long windup. As the AOE always targets me AND my companion, she has zero chance of ever finishing it before getting knocked flying. Then she gets up and the cycle repeats. Over the entire fight, only once did I see her use her sickle instead of the literally dozens of times the AOE interrupted her windup. Please have this not target companions if you want us to be able to use them.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I like the event but would change it this way:

Create 26 round difficulty levels. (could re-use some rounds by increasing enemy damage & health)
    Have 3 rounds per day (for 1 basic token) & one bonus round (for 1 advanced token + 1 extra basic token).

Day 1: difficulty 1,2,3... challenge difficulty = (6)
    Day 2: difficulty 2,3,4... challenge difficulty = (7)
    Day 3: difficulty 3,4,5... challenge difficulty = (8)
    Day 4: difficulty 4,5,6... challenge difficulty = (9)
    Day 5: difficulty 5,6,7... challenge difficulty = (10)
    Day 6: difficulty 6,7,8... challenge difficulty = (11)
    Day 7: difficulty 7,8,9... challenge difficulty = (12)
    Day 14: difficulty 14,15,16... challenge difficulty = (19)
    Day 21: difficulty 21,22,23... challenge difficulty = (26)

This system lets a player accumulate 42 basic tokens plus 21 advanced tokens plus 1 participation token for each 7 days completed (at basic level). The costs of the advanced Insignia items TAB ... would be tripled.

The difficulty would be set so that most new players could get to day #7, most end game players could get to day #14, but only elite players could make it to Day #21. Limiting each day to 3 or four combat rounds of escalating difficulty would keep the event fresh, fun, and challenging.
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    This event needs some changes... I'am new player (6 months old - arround 20K il) and I got today that part. token. But as a tank with a lot of problems and luck. As a dps i can only dream about it. And this is not funny at all. Running arround in circles, holding shield to "kite" some dmg vs. ranged enemies and waiting last 45 seconds to use shield or health or that "wipe all" booster and PRAY to pass round. Well, not funny at all. Tanking solo epic demogorgon is a joke towards this event. Well, for tanks. Of course, I'am talking about 2nd week. Tomorrow I'll try 3rd week if I find time for that.
    The final is kind of let down. Both round were easy. It took a while to finish Wilfred. The whole thing from enter to exit was about 11 minutes. It seems long mainly because it was boring.

The final is kind of let down. Both round were easy. It took a while to finish Wilfred. The whole thing from enter to exit was about 11 minutes. It seems long mainly because it was boring.

Yeah I was chipping away at Wilfred on my AOE build and I reckon had dented him by 5% after a good few minutes [5?] I died and switched to a single target dps. Still took forever to kill him.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I would enjoy the twist a bit more if I would not spent 5 mins jumping around trying to figure out why the fight bugged out.
    (I would suggest to let the 2nd round finish properly, not to let the quest hang in the air - and then surprise the player with a third round.)
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    Who else got charmed for literally 10 seconds whilst you were taken from 100 - maybe 10% or sometimes 0%. That's when i just smh.
    edited December 2019
    They should add a Jester Cap to Wilfreds appearance, because they made a joke out of him... and i also started the fight with AoE powers, but switched to single target ones with Second Wind running, but it still took a very looong time to finish it.

Guessing that we have to fight through this mess 4 more times for the legendary mount, i do hope they read the feedback and adjust the event before it returns.
    Want to know why?
  • genadine#7803 genadine Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Wilfred was a pain, totally pointless exercise.

Justicar built to tank, my Artifact was refreshing every other health segment.

It was painful, not due to the dps output as he didn't have any but the pain in so much health for no apparent reason, kept expecting adds to spawn at each health segment but no, about 15 minutes of my life I will never get back, and just like to echo the thoughts of so many before me.

Great idea.

Really poor implementation.

@Devs

Read this whole thread and learn please.
  • elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Well, it would be really nice if the game would be finally designed by someone who actually plays it.
    I am guessing this event will run again and again in the future like other event that gives you token. Otherwise, if there will be only 4 more, whoever did not get a token of achievement (for whatever reason) before today will not be able to get the legendary mount.
    edited December 2019
    Well, i guess we have to wait and see what the Devs have to say about it, and if they plan on turning it into a "Siege of Neverwinter Legendary Edition", or if there will be only 4 more events and an buyout option including Token of Achievement(s) during the last part of the event...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?
    Well, I must admit/confirm. 3rd week is a "lot" easier than 2nd week. Well, first day of 3rd week. Only two potions used and that was it. Filling, like there is more " enemy health" in pit in 3rd week but there're much less enemies. So tanking isn't a problem there but it took more time per round. Charm is at a new/higher lvl, so i was charmed for 10 sec or more (sobi). But tank has plenty of HP :) . They should nerf 2nd week but i'am afraid they'll do something about 3rd week pits :(
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    My experience....Blah.
    Healadin on two accounts in our house ran it. Long and tedious week one made even longer, cleaning with the low dps of healadins at end of rounds. Week two, repeated wipes at 4/5, burned stones (a healadin shouldn't need to, but CC was insane). After 4 wipes said "F" it and exited. Mid week 2 tried it once more, same effect, exit and forget it, 3rd week nope, garbage content that seems doable by 2 maybe 3 classes and sheer murder for others, poor planning, poor implementation, sad junk that isn't worth the effort.

When I looked at rewards closer, I asked myself why am I torturing myself, its trash loot for 1/3 of a yr medium eh loot for 1/3 yr. before you actually get to the elite loot..I got to grind this garbage for yr? Not a chance I'm torturing myself that way.

So this "event" was a total bust for me at least. If this presages the new mod? I'll boycott new garbage, to hell with hell, not a prayer!

I get the feeling that the "event" was a tooling experiment. Due to comments and the toning down I'm thinking they "scaled" it wrong like they have on multiple other stuff. Scaling is the ruination of this game to me, I avoid it like the plague, half this game has become unplayable garbage, either from scaling making it torture vs. rewards or abandoned/none played content.
    edited December 2019
    matthattr said:

My experience....Blah.
    Healadin on two accounts in our house ran it. Long and tedious week one made even longer, cleaning with the low dps of healadins at end of rounds. Week two, repeated wipes at 4/5, burned stones (a healadin shouldn't need to, but CC was insane). After 4 wipes said "F" it and exited. Mid week 2 tried it once more, same effect, exit and forget it, 3rd week nope, garbage content that seems doable by 2 maybe 3 classes and sheer murder for others, poor planning, poor implementation, sad junk that isn't worth the effort.

When I looked at rewards closer, I asked myself why am I torturing myself, its trash loot for 1/3 of a yr medium eh loot for 1/3 yr. before you actually get to the elite loot..I got to grind this garbage for yr? Not a chance I'm torturing myself that way.

So this "event" was a total bust for me at least. If this presages the new mod? I'll boycott new garbage, to hell with hell, not a prayer!

I get the feeling that the "event" was a tooling experiment. Due to comments and the toning down I'm thinking they "scaled" it wrong like they have on multiple other stuff. Scaling is the ruination of this game to me, I avoid it like the plague, half this game has become unplayable garbage, either from scaling making it torture vs. rewards or abandoned/none played content.

Actually you didn't play week 3... In week 3 you have only 2 rounds. You must pass week2 to get into week3. You were into week 2 all the time. And when 3rd week started there were no devils in "2nd pit week". Well, not for me anymore. Only demons. And they're, well... You know.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Day 21 was disappointing for me.

The little twist at the portal was cool. But...

First, I expected a bit more from Wilfred. In a sense, i don't care about the difficulty of the fight (though, from a 24.5k optimized rogue, I found Wilfred too weak and in the same time too simple to kite, and as a result i took more damages from the falling sky than from the boss... who have no memorable/intersting/funny special attack)

But i would have love to see a lot more of background about/from Wilfred and I would also have love to h get in a complex/deep dialogue with Wilfred, especially as HP seems to be a oneshot event (other "HP"-like events will come, but probably not featuring Wilfred),

Ex :
    something more complex and interactive than the simple cutscene before fighting him between round 1 and 2. A real dialogue, get a various set of answers to reply to him (like 6-8 different ones) which could have also alter the next fight one way or another (so if you choose to taunt him "yo mama so fat that when she falls from her bed, it's from both sides" he would get an enraged buff ^^).
    Or fighting dialogues (especially because the fight was easy) thrown in the battle we have to answer to with a binary choice (with for exemple the same kind of window we get to accept/decline a dungeon starting), and affecting a crowd meter (if you get too low, they throw things that debuff you if you get hit).

Or any real idea to make the fight different... Fighting Wilfred was there, for me, like fighting any random close combat trash foe, which i'm sad about because I was a bit hyped to see him again after he has been retcon :/

Epilogue

Ive been thinking about this event since it finished.

Pros
    It felt like a journey, a long old grind, amusing at times, interesting, funny, challenging and most of all different.
    Decent rewards for a nice change
    I learnt how to play different and adapt to a situation solo
    I solved problems
    It did feel like we were testing a new idea

Cons
    Difficulty level was based entirely on RNG - I could get through every round if I waited for the shield powerup
    Mobs were very rng based, a good mix with less cc was so much easier than the hard groups
    Too much running around
    For some classes probably much harder than others
    I think the scaling was a bit off - scale us down to 21k? Or even 22k?
    It did feel like we were testing a new idea

Overall I would give it 7 out of 10

PS it would be nice to keep it exactly the same [except for WIlfreds hit points which were way too high] for the whole sequence. That way we could measure how our toons are developing in between events.

But I do realise there will be calls for Nerfs to Week 2 - and justifiably so perhaps
    edited December 2019
    You are supposed to be scaled down to 20K. If you brought up the character sheet, you would see your item level is 20000 in light blue. Does the scaling work? I have no idea.