test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fighter is the Weakest Class

krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
I have one of each class and I am playing fighter now and got to say if you were to take any of the other classes at the point my fighter is at and had them at the same exact point, the fighter would still underwelmingly performs. Even the cleric in devout build can handle mobs better and deal more damage than the fighter. I hear players say, the fighter just needs better gear. But this isn't the point I am making. I am saying (repeating myself again) if you were to take any other class and put them at the same point as the fighter, the fighter would still under perform. If you want to say that the fighter is more meant to be a party tank, then soloing is what? I have tried to experiment with using different encounters, thinking it might just be a very particular encounter load out, but it doesn't seem to help, in fact in some cases it makes the fighter even worse.

This might all sound like complaining, but like I said, I have one of each class and the condition the fighter is in, it makes playing it far less desirable because getting through solo dailies is a pain. I think the only players who put up with this, don't know any better because all they play is the fighter. They aren't even aware of how much easier you can get through solo content with any other class.

I mean this in terms of constructive criticism. Its not like I'm crying about my favorite class being weak. If the only metric for determining if the classes are balanced is using end game statistics, you have completely missed the part before that end game. I am talking from player perspective of playing each class through all of the content. The fighter just doesn't live up to it's name.

Comments

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    If they don't have time to 're-work' the class,... maybe insert a band-aid fix until then?

Class Power Enhancement: As the Fighter's Health decreases, they deal up to 20% extra damage.

Over time, this might only add 3% extra damage, but it also adds flavor.

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

I have one of each class and I am playing fighter now and got to say if you were to take any of the other classes at the point my fighter is at and had them at the same exact point, the fighter would still underwelmingly performs.

inb4 Helbringers and Arby's start making claims about who the weakest DPS specs are.
    makes bench lord jokes about all of those specs anyways
    krumple01 said:

Even the cleric in devout build can handle mobs better and deal more damage than the fighter.

krumple01 said:

If you want to say that the fighter is more meant to be a party tank, then soloing is what?

Time gates to keep people satiated while waiting for the next promotional tie in from Cryptic's corporate overlords?
    krumple01 said:

This might all sound like complaining, but like I said, I have one of each class and the condition the fighter is in, it makes playing it far less desirable because getting through solo dailies is a pain. I think the only players who put up with this, don't know any better because all they play is the fighter. They aren't even aware of how much easier you can get through solo content with any other class.

I'd argue that playing DPS GF is boring, not so much that it's impossible.

A meter might be a fast way to make a "mechanic", but gameplay wise, you may as well never have any meaningful meter management. You're either ignoring it because it takes too long to charge from that stupid squat, or you keep the meter above 50% because barely anything practical consumes meter.

As for why people would pick the class, newer players might like it from a "I'm new to the game and use shield to survive" ... though I question why they wouldn't just play Barbie as tanky(ish) melee DPS aside from flavor ("I like sword and shield combos!" or something).
    krumple01 said:

The fighter just doesn't live up to it's name.

While I don't know *that* much about DnD ... weren't Wizards/Sorcerers/spellcasters just better at killing things and at solving non-combat problems comparative to Fighter in pretty much every edition?

If so, then technically, goofy fighter sucking really does live up to its namesake! :trollface:

If they don't have time to 're-work' the class,... maybe insert a band-aid fix until then?

Class Power Enhancement: As the Fighter's Health decreases, they deal up to 20% extra damage.

Over time, this might only add 3% extra damage, but it also adds flavor.

Gameplay wise ... why am I encouraged to keep my HP low?

I know it could be for new players who are forced to slowly hold down At-wills to chip things to death, but it doesn't really solve the core issue that the "Fight"er is bad at fighting even if you jump through its hoops to pretend to damage things.

Flavor wise, this power would likely make more sense on Barbarian ("get angry and hit things back really hard" class).

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I do not want to argue about which class has the hardest life - but for solo play I found fighter much more competent than what you described.
    First, it is a good idea to run dailies in a DPS set-up. That was surprisingly important change in my attitude. =) Next, slot 3 AoE encounter powers and use powers and feats that can boost those. Last, even if it is meh, try to use the rage (and fill it up regularly.)
    With those things kept on mind, I found it easy to do solo stuff (I did not try the hell pit). Foolproof compared to cleric, safer compared to wizard. It is not fun - rather annoying, pain in the hamster really - but after mod16 I did not find a class fun to play anyway... (during the transition only barb managed not to become a pain in the hamster - however, he stayed being the same brainless maniac...)
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I always found the original GF fun to play in a kind of tank/DPS hybrid. I could solo content fairly easily and fun.

But as a tank? Way too squishy and I got sick of tanking in epic content and getting the blame for a wipe/slow run, when in fact it was actually caused by really low/slo/poor DPS - so I moved to Barbie before Mod 16.

Since then when I play fighter, its ok but that toon is already at c23k iL.

My guess is the original poster has it pretty much right. Fighter does seem boring and generally low in DPS.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    In Beta (circa May 2013) Fighter had the lowest attack damage even lower than the daggers used by the CW and TR . So much for our d8 Sword doing more damage than a d4 dagger.
  • mcfobmcfob Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Agreed, Fighter Dreadnaught is terrible.
    mcfob said:

If you have enough Empowered Rumstones and Radient Enchants in Offense slots it's tolerable.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

mcfob said:

If you have enough Empowered Rumstones and Radient Enchants in Offense slots it's tolerable.
    Yeah if they are Rank 12+ :)
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Nowadays Fighters can do solo content like expeditions and campaigns with ease, but for main DPS in dungeons/trials, is one of the most, if not the most, underpowered DPS class side by side with Warlocks
    2fv72Fw.png
  • beigeman#7856 beigeman Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    my fighter performs quite admirably.. admittedly not in the realms of other similarly geared up classes .. looking forward to the mod18 dps boosts :)
  • vanda001vanda001 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

I do not want to argue about which class has the hardest life - but for solo play I found fighter much more competent than what you described.
    First, it is a good idea to run dailies in a DPS set-up. That was surprisingly important change in my attitude. =) Next, slot 3 AoE encounter powers and use powers and feats that can boost those. Last, even if it is meh, try to use the rage (and fill it up regularly.)
    With those things kept on mind, I found it easy to do solo stuff (I did not try the hell pit). Foolproof compared to cleric, safer compared to wizard. It is not fun - rather annoying, pain in the hamster really - but after mod16 I did not find a class fun to play anyway... (during the transition only barb managed not to become a pain in the hamster - however, he stayed being the same brainless maniac...)

This is true but I believe even this streategy is currently underperforming. I found a good idea to use the feat prepared slam and for good ammount of time I was "using" it until I found that it doesn't actually trigger. Prepared slam is bugged and it would be great for this scenario.

mcfob said:

Yeah if they are Rank 12+ :)
    Most of mine are 13-15.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    The Took has only one thing to add to this "fighter sucks" thread.
    "Potty Squat".

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1251974/the-squat-of-annihilation

Nuff said.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.