test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

REMOVE THE GOLD SYSTEM (for Enchantments)

aragon#8379 aragon Member Posts: 128 Arc User
edited December 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Annoying, Frustrating and a waste of everyone's time. 40 gold every time I want to change from healing to tanking for ToMM. Please remove this useless feature.

In normal D&D, 1 Astral Diamond = 10,000 gp. Since your using millions of Astral Diamonds as the normal currency, why the heck do mobs only drop only a few coppers. This makes 0 sense.
Post edited by aragon#8379 on
Tagged:

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,206 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Gold is just another commodity for people to earn AD. If there is a need, there is a demand. Many make gold to earn AD from this demand. Gold is an unlimited supply while AD is a controlled supply. Gold would be (and was) truly useless if you cannot spend it on something.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    Why do you need to spend gold to change loadouts?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • edenfay#2737 edenfay Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Not original poster here, but can take a guess: for those of us with support paragons, changing loadouts entails a great deal of gear being swapped around. It's expensive (and time consuming) to move around high-end enchantments. I refuse to pay the price, so my soulweaver loadout has orange enchants while my hellbringer loadout is stuck with purples and a few blues.

Personally I'd love a loadout system that remembers enchantments and redistributes them with no cost, the way insignia works, but maybe I'm dreaming.
    I use the same gear regardless of loadout.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited December 2019
    greywynd said:

I use the same gear regardless of loadout.

You are welcome to do this, of course, but it is a disservice to your group. To take the most obvious example, healers require massive amounts of crit (180k+ at endgame, as they need it to be 1.25 x their power). DPS only need to cap crit at the level of content they're playing (69k for LoMM); you are not performing optimally as a DPS if you wear your healing gear. Conversely, DPS will run gear with % damage increase that provide no benefit for healing and are is likely to even be detrimental due to the lower stats; you are not performing optimally as a healer if you are wearing your DPS gear.

Healers are fortunate in that they can at least run Ebony Stained and Vivified on both loadouts. But for tanks, with their strict defensive cap and health requirements, the need to swap gear is even more imperative. This isn't even getting into artifact set differences, as they at least are easy to swap around.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

Annoying, Frustrating and a waste of everyone's time. 40 gold every time I want to change from healing to tanking for ToMM. Please remove this useless feature.

In normal D&D, 1 Astral Diamond = 10,000 gp. Since your using millions of Astral Diamonds as the normal currency, why the heck do mobs only drop only a few coppers. This makes 0 sense.

Took respectfully disagrees.
    NW is flooded with useless currencies.
    ("WTB rank 14 Vorpal for 20mil Blackdagger marks?")

But gold still has a currency conversion role.
    If anything, we would benefit from more things of value to buy with gold.

As for the cost of switching enchants?
    (Took assumes that's what you mean by "changing loadouts".)

Dude... 40 gold? Pffft.
    Took finds more loose change than that under his Hobbit-hole couch cushions.
    And Took could replace ten times that amount by selling half the random HAMSTER in his Tuckerbag ( a nod to the Aussies in the audience).

We need a reason to be "happy" when we hear that "ching ching ching" when running in circles after killing a boss.

Gold still has an important role and purpose in the NW economy.
    Maybe OP should argue for a reduction in the enchant-removal cost.
    But eliminate gold altogether?

Nah, bro.
    Took still needs ta stack dat chaddah, yo?

"I gotta stack cheese. I gotta stack cheese. I need at least 2Gs in my khakis." - Lumbajack
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.

You are welcome to do this, of course, but it is a disservice to your group. To take the most obvious example, healers require massive amounts of crit (180k+ at endgame, as they need it to be 1.25 x their power). DPS only need to cap crit at the level of content they're playing (69k for LoMM); you are not performing optimally as a DPS if you wear your healing gear. Conversely, DPS will run gear with % damage increase that provide no benefit for healing and are is likely to even be detrimental due to the lower stats; you are not performing optimally as a healer if you are wearing your DPS gear.

Healers are fortunate in that they can at least run Ebony Stained and Vivified on both loadouts. But for tanks, with their strict defensive cap and health requirements, the need to swap gear is even more imperative. This isn't even getting into artifact set differences, as they at least are easy to swap around.

I've never bothered to mess with my paladin's healing build. For the most part I found it to be a waste of time. Likewise my cleric is pretty much locked into his healing role unless I decide to send him off to work for Sybella for a time. Neither of those characters are heavy endgame dungeon runners.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    greywynd said:

unless I decide to send him off to work for Sybella for a time.

Took is totally stealing this expression to describe temporarily retiring nerf-neutered toons.
    This is gold.

Or should I say... gold coins?
    Eh? Eh?
    Hrrrmm.
    Post edited by dread4moor on
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    edited December 2019
    greywynd said:

I've never bothered to mess with my paladin's healing build. For the most part I found it to be a waste of time. Likewise my cleric is pretty much locked into his healing role unless I decide to send him off to work for Sybella for a time. Neither of those characters are heavy endgame dungeon runners.

This is well and good, but you first commented that you keep the same gear between loadouts. Now you specify that you do not use opposing paragons on the same character. The original poster, however, refered specifically to frustrations involved when changing between tank and healer---that is, a specific and substantive kind of loadout change. To do this effectively requires gold.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Gold = Ad = Zen = No thanks

This is well and good, but you first commented that you keep the same gear between loadouts. Now you specify that you do not use opposing paragons on the same character. The original poster, however, refered specifically to frustrations involved when changing between tank and healer---that is, a specific and substantive kind of loadout change. To do this effectively requires gold.

I use them. I don't use them regularly. There is a difference.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

changing loadouts entails a great deal of gear being swapped around. It's expensive (and time consuming) to move around high-end enchantments. I refuse to pay the price, so my soulweaver loadout has orange enchants while my hellbringer loadout is stuck with purples and a few blues.

Personally I'd love a loadout system that remembers enchantments and redistributes them with no cost, the way insignia works, but maybe I'm dreaming.

It certainly is expensive if you decide to do it on a constant basis. I'm lazy. I make enchants for both loadouts, and a third set of things for PVP loadouts depending on toon.

Gold no longer an issue since it's a matter of just using another piece of gear for the alternate loadouts with enchants in place. And wherever possible I have overlap. And I spend a lot of time figuring out ways to minimize change on character gear and take advantage of free changes on comp gear. Case in point, I get most of crit on my companion side for my healers. Then swap most of that out as needed when I switch loadouts.

Anyway, gold has a value. So no to removing it.

Removing the cost to move enchants around is another issue which I can back completely.
    For me, the gold expense is not the biggest deal. The biggest deal is to move the enchantment around. That is work if that is done frequently. Removing the gold expense would not solve that.
    So, I would do a 2nd loadout with 2nd gear set which could further emphasis what stat is needed with the proper gear.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    Gold is a key feature of the pen and paper game that Neverwinter is based on. It would be ill-advised to remove it.

The way I see it...

1 Silver Piece = 1 Astral Diamond
    1 Gold Piece = 1 Tarmalune

The Gold/Tarmalune/Astral platforms of currency allow the developers to control transactions in the game better. Some things cant be bought cheaply with real cash. Some things can't be earned easily through game play alone.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    How about remove the gold requirements for removing enchantments or switching roles or whatecer instead of nuking the entire currency that still has multiple in game uses. Like buying potions and kits.

I ain't going to bee dropping AD to buy potions that is for sure.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    edited December 2019

Taking gold system out - I disagree fully.
    Taking out the cost of removing enchants - I FULLY agree.
    Increasing the drop rate of coins -- FULLY agree. It sucks when you kill a dragon and get 130cp. :)

OK, if they took the gold (coins) out of the game, then what would be the purpose of "increase the drop rate of coins"?

I guess that's an either or huh?

But putting that aside, I've always felt Neverwinter has too many different currencies...
    • There are different currencies dependent on what area a player is in.
    • There are different currencies dependent on holiday/festival a player is playing.
    • There are Gold coins for some items and functions.
    • There are several different kinds of "seals" a player can use to purchase items.
    • There are Guildmarks for other items being sold in the Stronghold.
    • There are Astral Diamonds for other items and services.
    • There are Trade Bars for a different set of items.
    • And of course there is ZEN for yet a different set of items and services
    Neverwinter should have one - rank of enchantment and runestone (rank 5) for procurement -period- players can convert various items for refinement points and refine their own enchantments and runestones, but after rank 5 all refined enchantments and runestones become "Bound to Account" and cannot be traded or auctioned.

Neverwinter should have one - kind of healing potion with each use recovering "X" of a player's hitpoints (no player can be healed for more than 100% health). Some players will only need one healing potion and others will need to use multiple healing potions to be completely healed (of course this would necessitate the elimination of cooldown times for healing potions).

Although it is no longer relevant...

Neverwinter should have had only one kind of - ID scroll, with one scroll needing to be used to identify "uncommon" or green items, two scrolls needed to identify "rare" or blue items, three scrolls needed to identify "epic" or purple items and four scrolls needed to identify "gold" or legendary items.

And finally at worst: Neverwinter should have no more than three in game currencies

Astral Diamonds,
    Tradebars
    and ZEN

All seasonable festivals and special skirmishes (CTA-Siege, etc.) still gives out their specific tokens, but those tokens can be traded for rough Astral Diamonds (like seals) and AD's are the currency used to purchase items during various events.

There are no goods or services currently for sale with Gold that cannot or should not easily be converted to be purchased with Astral Diamonds instead and with the retention of ZEN and Tradebars, that still gives Neverwinter three different forms of currencies instead of the dozens the game currently uses.

Just my thoughts...

Gold is a key feature of the pen and paper game that Neverwinter is based on. It would be ill-advised to remove it.

The way I see it...

1 Silver Piece = 1 Astral Diamond
    1 Gold Piece = 1 Tarmalune

The Gold/Tarmalune/Astral platforms of currency allow the developers to control transactions in the game better. Some things cant be bought cheaply with real cash. Some things can't be earned easily through game play alone.

It goes without saying this is not a "pen and paper" D&D... That being said Gold is the basic currency for D&D so far as I remember. Players may procure other items (like gems and gear) they can exchange for gold, but when it comes for the currency of the game, Gold has always been the primary currency of D&D.

And although Gold may be the basic currency for the board game - seems to me Astral Diamonds is the basic currency for the online game - or at least this company's game.

The conversion you suggested... Way too cheap considering 1 Zen currently costs 750 AD at the lowest offer and it takes 125 Zen to purchase one lockbox key for the chance of opening a lockbox with tradebars, and presently Gold has no direct conversion rate to either AD's or Zen.

Post edited by dionchi on
    DD~
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    I agree with "too many currencies", I remember that was one of the most confusing and annoying things when I started playing NW. Where does what come from, what do I use it for, can it be exchanged, is somebody using my incompetence to improve their ingame wallet ...
    - bye bye -
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I think @aragon#8379 just wanted to make certain everyone was awake here. I know that title caught my eye. How about we toss out all the game currency AD, Gold, and just kill those monsters out of kindness? I can see myself running my next session at the table now!

Welcome adventurers, I am the Forgotten Monk of Mount Celestia. Our order has come under the attack of a horde of bandits. We have no money to pay you, we don't believe in material items. Also the horde of bandits are broke as well. There is also a nearby dragon in a cave, but he is not called Malgrythax the Impoverished for his wealth. Excuse me! Adventurers... where are you going? The monastery is this way... adventurers??

Having too much fun?

I think @aragon#8379 just wanted to make certain everyone was awake here. I know that title caught my eye. How about we toss out all the game currency AD, Gold, and just kill those monsters out of kindness? I can see myself running my next session at the table now!

Welcome adventurers, I am the Forgotten Monk of Mount Celestia. Our order has come under the attack of a horde of bandits. We have no money to pay you, we don't believe in material items. Also the horde of bandits are broke as well. There is also a nearby dragon in a cave, but he is not called Malgrythax the Impoverished for his wealth. Excuse me! Adventurers... where are you going? The monastery is this way... adventurers??

Having too much fun?

I don't believe anyone suggested getting rid of "all" currency in the game, just simplify the redundancy for in game currency a bit.

(hyperbole much?)

DD~
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    One of the reason for the multiple campaign currencies is to allow the devs to artificially create incentives for a player to go back in specific campaigns after he has 100% finished it, so the maps can stay a bit populated to the eyes of a new player, and to avoid super wealthy players to get everything from the various shops right at the start of a new campaign.
    The idea behind that is to make maps/environment/campaigns (devs have worked hard on) mandatory to do if you want to get the new cool stuff, and somewhat a bit re-usable after you did everything.
    It's also a way to compartmentalize each campaign individually, otherwise, with a common currency, you would need to balance each one with each others to avoid one to be "the best to farm".
    (but separated currencies is not the only method to achieve this ^^).

Today, the incentives to go back in a campaign you have finished long ago are mostly only via Sybella's quests or the need to feed the guild stronghold's mimic (if you are not in a guild fully built) (I think people who joined a maxed out level 20 guild and never knew anything lower can't realize how much you need to farm again the oldest campaigns), maybe some fashion objects you can't find anywhere else, and some specific consummables (like the heroism pot from Sharandar).
    You also have things like "defense of the sword coast" kind of quests which are the same kind of ideas.

With only some 3 or 4 currencies that allow you to buy anything anywhere, and can be earned anywhere from everything, I would probably never put a foot in Sharandar again past the arcane reservoir, same for Dread Ring past the 3 red wizards or Icewindale past the direct path to Biggrin. Soshenstar ? Omu ? River District ? Barovia ? Nothing there but fashion.
    edited December 2019
    The same thing can be accomplishe

One of the reason for the multiple campaign currencies is to allow the devs to artificially create incentives for a player to go back in specific campaigns after he has 100% finished it, so the maps can stay a bit populated to the eyes of a new player, and to avoid super wealthy players to get everything from the various shops right at the start of a new campaign.
    The idea behind that is to make maps/environment/campaigns (devs have worked hard on) mandatory to do if you want to get the new cool stuff, and somewhat a bit re-usable after you did everything.
    It's also a way to compartmentalize each campaign individually, otherwise, with a common currency, you would need to balance each one with each others to avoid one to be "the best to farm".
    (but separated currencies is not the only method to achieve this ^^).

Today, the incentives to go back in a campaign you have finished long ago are mostly only via Sybella's quests or the need to feed the guild stronghold's mimic (if you are not in a guild fully built) (I think people who joined a maxed out level 20 guild and never knew anything lower can't realize how much you need to farm again the oldest campaigns), maybe some fashion objects you can't find anywhere else, and some specific consummables (like the heroism pot from Sharandar).
    You also have things like "defense of the sword coast" kind of quests which are the same kind of ideas.

With only some 3 or 4 currencies that allow you to buy anything anywhere, and can be earned anywhere from everything, I would probably never put a foot in Sharandar again past the arcane reservoir, same for Dread Ring past the 3 red wizards or Icewindale past the direct path to Biggrin. Soshenstar ? Omu ? River District ? Barovia ? Nothing there but fashion.

An insightful observation that without a currency for different areas, many players who have already completed campaigns in those areas would probably never return... but is that really such a bad thing?

Players looking to assist other players or just revisit an area for fun, will continue to do so even without the currency for those areas.

It has also been my experience that players who are primarily looking to scoop up as currency for different areas (like players who run dungeons primarily for AD's), usually could care less about struggling players in those areas and some will even resent having to share the map with them.

Of course there exceptions to these rules exist but realistically how many higher level players go back to lower level areas to collect currency that, for the most part can only be used to purchase items that are probably far inferior to what they already have or as you say to feed the Stronghold mimic (which can also be dealt with if players were able to purchase Stronghold coupons with game currency or pick up vouchers instead of area currency, like during Siege events - yet another kind of "currency" I failed to mention)?

If people want the Sharandar potion or area fashions, why do they have to buy those items specifically with area currency instead of being able to purchase those items with AD's, Zen or Tradebars? Many items are already available from Tradebar or Zen merchants, or from the Auction House which can be bought with AD's.

My point being people who are only running areas for their personal (or guild) profit, usually have a tendency to think they are on a mission and seem to have little time or inclination to team up with greenhorns. From your own statement it seems you might visit some of these areas to gather area currency - do you usually team up with a newbie player when you're in these areas, or do you attempt to get as much as you can as quickly as you can and leave?

Be honest... :neutral:

DD~
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    I would rather argue for a enchant change cost to zero gold and leave gold in for other stuff, crafting is a huge gold sink, especially high end crafting. Let peeps switch their enchants about to hearts content free. It was only a coster because they needed a gold sink, crafting holds that role now and needn't be gear switching.

What really are they attempting to achieve now, besides a sink to cost you enchant switching? How does it help the game?
  • aragon#8379 aragon Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well this blew up. And yeah didn't really mean it literally "remove the gold system" just the cost on changing those enchantments. Very annoying when you gotta swap like 20, cause you need radients in defense for tanking but in offense for healing, not to mention all the others and even runestones. But this is never going to happen, especially since it gives an incentive to make/buy even more enchants.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    dionchi said:

My point being people who are only running areas for their personal (or guild) profit, usually have a tendency to think they are on a mission and seem to have little time or inclination to team up with greenhorns. From your own statement it seems you might visit some of these areas to gather area currency - do you usually team up with a newbie player when you're in these areas, or do you attempt to get as much as you can as quickly as you can and leave?

Be honest... :neutral:

To be honest, since mod16 not so much.

Mostly because I play a lot less (maybe half of my mod11-15 daily playtime) so what playtime is left i want it to be efficient (not a lot of time to chill around with strangers/newbies when you play 1h30/day and want to invoke/collect workshop/collect VIP on 38 toons, do whatever event is up on your main, get done on 18 toons at least the rAD weeklies in sharandar/dread ring/icewindale/Maze Enfine when sybella's quests for these campaigns are up before the 9 weeks cycle makes her giving it again, do some stronghold stuff [put up the temp building, collect the ressources, check the mimic needs, prepare messages to my guild in order to explain incoming events/how to juice it efficiently], chitchat a bit with friendlist and allymates, manage our ally discord if needed, etc, etc.).

Before mod16, I was usually calling or answering to players calls for mini instances (like the dread ring ones), and being overall much more helpful (in fact paying more attention to the chat and to other players).

BUT, I still time to time answers to questions on campaign maps /z (if i'm reading the chat at the moment one asks something), mostly because i value communication and the idea of "ask how to, then try yourself" rather than "team up and get the job done by another one". I'm also very likely to help if I someone /s or /w and personnaly ask me a hand.

And even today, if i saw someone in the vicinity and in danger fighting mobs (newbie health bar low getting a bit swarmed) or be put down, I can't prevent myself from jumping in, try to revive and/or clean the area so he can have a breathe (and i would /e bow to him when the area is safe again and wait a bit, just to see if I get a reaction or if he wants to say something and engage a conversation).

In fact, what you are describing is not a behavior really relative to some old player being in an old very well known map, or wanting to be as fast and efficient as possible.
    It's more what mentality drives you in general. An individualist HAMSTER is still an individualist HAMSTER, newb or vet, NWO or elsewhere won't change that.
    If by nature you are someone who is a little generous and open toward others, then IF you see someone who needs or asks help you will probably still take time to give him a hand.

Problem with even individualist HAMSTER deserting old maps is an image issue with 2 edges.
    Yep, as a newb seeing a lot of players not caring about anyhting else but their "mission" you can end thinking the game is just full of indivdualists (or worse, like what League of Legends had as a reputation when you were speaking about the "communauty").
    But did you really think it would be otherwise ? After all, our actual occidental society is built, in his core, on sheer individualism (the bad side of the "american dream") and not upon solidarity [though it's better in some coutries than some others].

But also old, super geared, ultra fashioned toons with a beautiful mount are an advertising. Endgame toons in action are shiny to a newb eyes. "I want to be as beautiful, as fast and as strong !"
    It's not different from our real world, why do people want the same outfit as Brad Pitt ? Why do they want to ride the same bike as Keenu Reeves ? Why do they want the same haircut has Jennifer Aniston ?
    Trying to keep a reasonnable amount old players cruising in old maps is commercial. And as a f2p, neverwinter needs some money :P (and it's ok ^^)

Can't remember, what was the initial topic xD ?
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

greywynd said:

Not original poster here, but can take a guess: for those of us with support paragons, changing loadouts entails a great deal of gear being swapped around. It's expensive (and time consuming) to move around high-end enchantments. I refuse to pay the price, so my soulweaver loadout has orange enchants while my hellbringer loadout is stuck with purples and a few blues.

I took this in the way it was not intended reading thru this thread, my interpretation is why would it be a good idea to take gold for changing load outs. fine. so you need something to spend gold on. that's called useless mastercrafts. it is truly infuriating to have to plan for having gold on your person for changing your jewelry. gold sinks are silly. make mastercrafting great again and boom something to spend gold on. do low ranking but fun comps and mounts for gold. all kinds of things they could make gold good for. using it in this fashion is just not fun
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Well this blew up. And yeah didn't really mean it literally "remove the gold system" just the cost on changing those enchantments. Very annoying when you gotta swap like 20, cause you need radients in defense for tanking but in offense for healing, not to mention all the others and even runestones. But this is never going to happen, especially since it gives an incentive to make/buy even more enchants.

Another option would be to focus on it from a different avenue.

Instead of removing the gold cost, I wish they would alter the way enchant slots function in loadouts and make the slots almost independent of the gear. Just about every head gear has the same slots. If you separate the slot form the gear, it allows us to put one enchant in there for one loadout, and another for a different loadout.

They can keep the removal gold cost since you only need to remove when you actually want to test/change something on that loadout. And we get the swap on loadouts for no cost since it's part of the loadout.

edited December 2019

Another option would be to focus on it from a different avenue.

Instead of removing the gold cost, I wish they would alter the way enchant slots function in loadouts and make the slots almost independent of the gear. Just about every head gear has the same slots. If you separate the slot form the gear, it allows us to put one enchant in there for one loadout, and another for a different loadout.

They can keep the removal gold cost since you only need to remove when you actually want to test/change something on that loadout. And we get the swap on loadouts for no cost since it's part of the loadout.

The gears do not have the same slots. The level 70/80 gear may seem that way but even that is not 100% true.
    Some has overload slot and some does not.
    Weapon can have extra slots if it is upgraded to legendary.
    Ring can have utility slot (I only know about one though).
    I believe only Artifact neck and belt can have utility slot.