test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Repel should change somehow

2»

Comments

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I don't think they will nerf it. All of your post was heavily discussed while balancing it the first time. They nerfed its damage recently. I just don't think they care about its effect being a nuissance to groups since it's the name of the skill.

Personally... I'd like to see the repel distance halved, and a 3 second slowdown added.
  • isaacorion#1994 isaacorion Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    The only time I ever look at Repel is [x] Single Target [x] Enemy not CC able (aka - Boss fights not named Goristo until recently)

Either box unchecked, unslot that spell and use [Steal Time] (arcanist) or [Icy Terrain] (whatever that other paragon is called nowadays). Yes, you're using inferior dmg spells, but you're maintaining your dmg by not HAMSTER up Combat Adv for the party and making every melee (and some ranged) party members want to string you up by your ankles over a mimic after they dunk your head in honey.

Easiest solution to "fix" Repel is to just make Frost Strike (or whatever the single target icicle throw spell on the fire paragon) not be paragon limited. Even though it would suffer in Arcane Empowerment rotation.
    Warlock: Don't want to let you down but I am hell bound. - Imagine Dragons
    Cleric: You can be an angel of mercy or give in to hate. - Shinedown
    Wizard: The more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning bright. - Shinedown
    Barbarian: Am I beautiful... as I tear you to pieces? - In This Moment
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    I use repel a lot and will continue to do so. That being said, in group setting I use it for three different occasions.

- If an enemy is close to a ledge and not engaged with another player, it’s toast.

- If there is a enemy harassing the healer in the group who seems to be in trouble I will push it away from the healer to give her/him time to recover

- But mostly I use it an ace in the hole for defence or to push something charging me back to the melee people. If it’s not already dead from the attack it’s so low on health the melee people make short work of it.

I quite often get compliments for how I use it. You just have to use some common sense.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    bpstuart said:

Repel is useful for solo wizards and for PvE play.
    More than enough power and utility was taken away for the sake of groups to the detriment of solo players already, just tell your party members to use something else if the power bothers you, or come up with tactics that use it to your advantage, some of us rather enjoy it.

Just to refresh original argument, I just want repel not to be hardest hitting ST or AoE power. If you want to repel for utility reason, do it at dps drop cost and with curses of party members. If you want to dps, slot somethig dpsy at cost of personal utility. And soloing questing zones around as CW, I did not need repel at all. If anything, it pushes mobs off icy terrain. If you are feeling insecure, the shield is possibly better option. Solo content is not a problem in the game anyway. Reaching 20k is very easy now, and after it there is no problem with soloing anything. Hell Pit is only problematic solo content on 20k ilv, but repel would not help you there.

Currently repel is must-slot power for optimized CW ST builds for DPS reasons, this should not be so.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User

bpstuart said:

Repel is useful for solo wizards and for PvE play.
    More than enough power and utility was taken away for the sake of groups to the detriment of solo players already, just tell your party members to use something else if the power bothers you, or come up with tactics that use it to your advantage, some of us rather enjoy it.

Just to refresh original argument, I just want repel not to be hardest hitting ST or AoE power. If you want to repel for utility reason, do it at dps drop cost and with curses of party members. If you want to dps, slot somethig dpsy at cost of personal utility. And soloing questing zones around as CW, I did not need repel at all. If anything, it pushes mobs off icy terrain. If you are feeling insecure, the shield is possibly better option. Solo content is not a problem in the game anyway. Reaching 20k is very easy now, and after it there is no problem with soloing anything. Hell Pit is only problematic solo content on 20k ilv, but repel would not help you there.

Currently repel is must-slot power for optimized CW ST builds for DPS reasons, this should not be so.
    Then ask for a disintegrate buff or something. I like Repel as it is.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    The only time I use repel in PVE is in CN when we are trying to prevent the zombies from reaching the sphere so it doesn't go off and potentially kill everyone (the whole point of that phase is to prevent them from reaching the sphere), if you put it on tab (so it affects multiples) and angle yourself just right you can push 3 of them at once from close to the sphere to back to the far wall edge and buy some time. But this is the only time I use it as I think it's the perfect situation for it. I play Wiz now and have done for years, but I used to play GWF, a class which has to be right up and more or less touching the enemy to hit it, if it moves a few feet away you have to follow it. I remember one time in Dread Vault early on, I had been used to running around in all directions chasing one enemy at a time, and one day the CW did something I hadn't seen before and they did a spell which merged a huge amount of little adds into one big lump and I was able to attack them all at the same time, and I asked her what was that, and she told me Arcane Singularity. I told her I loved it. Now, as a Wiz I use it when I need to to bring them all in a lump to make it easier for the melee fighters to handle so they don't have to run around chasing one at a time. It's not just repel which is a problem, it is any knockback which throws enemies randomly around and several classes have this ability. They are all just as annoying for melee fighters playing in a party. I have often spent time dragging a mob into one neat lump to help make it easier only to have another player knock them all over the place again. When you are playing solo it makes sense to get them off you and those knock powers can have their place, but when you are playing in a team you have to be aware of how it affects the other players and usually knocking them all over the place or pushing them unexpectedly around is going to upset someone and it's probably not a good choice. Repel has it's place, so don't blame the power, blame the operator for misusing it.
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    actually, I lie, I also use Repel in my single target boss loadout because it's a single target hit with a good amount of damage, but it doesn't push a boss or affect it other than the damage.

edit: i'm full of it. I looked and I don't use repel in my single target loadout anymore, I did use it in that loadout until I found out that entanglement ticks over multiple times and does far more damage as opposed to the one hit from repel so I use entanglement along with enfeeblement and disintegrate. (Imprisonment on tab to get 25% extra damage from arcane encounters.) As with repel, entanglement doesn't control a boss, I only use it for the single target damage.
    Post edited by aganway on