test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty?

Comments

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    This 3rd week seems easier than second one. Anyway thankfully it's 2 rounds only and not that 5 rounds rng nonsense.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Difficulty was off the scale for me tonight. Ridiculous numbers of demons in the 2nd wave with glabrezus kicking me all over the place. I counted 12 health stone charges and maybe half a dozen life scrolls used up. Finally had to just run in circles kiting everyone until the timer ran out and then kill them piecemeal. I guess the devs can consider their mission accomplished if they are trying to drive cash store sales of consumables.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

Difficulty was off the scale for me tonight. Ridiculous numbers of demons in the 2nd wave with glabrezus kicking me all over the place. I counted 12 health stone charges and maybe half a dozen life scrolls used up. Finally had to just run in circles kiting everyone until the timer ran out and then kill them piecemeal. I guess the devs can consider their mission accomplished if they are trying to drive cash store sales of consumables.

What class and item level is the toon?

I needed stones in Week 2 but week 3 has been much easier for me playing a barbie c23k il
    Day 17 - c23k il Barbie

Switched back to single target DPS as an experiment with Axestorm as third attack.

Round 1

Plan: Charge in and mash up one foe, turn mash another foe then use the Axestorm AOE to weaken the pack.

Rinse and repeat, used maybe one or two Health Stones.

Got the boot powerup.

Stood and fought toe to toe with the horde of devils a couple of times and survived.

Much more fun trying to fight them than just running in circles.

Plan worked - I was happy

Round 2

Same tactics as Round 1 except I was hoping to take out the Boss with one rotation and daily. I slightly screwed that up, but it was all still relatively easy - got the heart power up, picked off the mobs, then finished the Boss - Servant of Zariel or something?

Quite satisfying.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    A good fight today. Bouncing around a few times. I avoid using power up (I picked up a shield but did not use it). Used 5 health potion and one Avalanche of Steel. Close call 2 to 3 times and one had a laser thin line of HP left.

https://youtu.be/-hDzHyDOXT0
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    They put in "harder" enemies...and made the encounter easier.

I'm convinced these guys don't know how their game actually works.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.

hustin1 said:

What class and item level is the toon?

I needed stones in Week 2 but week 3 has been much easier for me playing a barbie c23k il
    24.5 barb. It was vastly easier for me tonight, the reason being I fought devils instead of demons. That is the major factor for me in this event. Demons have CC out the wazoo and devils don't.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    The big problem for me today was just being punted around the arena. Died so many times until finally got a good enough mix that I could actually do something.
    Day 18

Round 1 - Much harder

Kicked around like a football, so much spawn I couldn't see what was going on.

Died three times.

Got the shield power up, used stones, ran around, waited till the last few seconds, used Avalanche of Steel and Encounters and prayed. Somehow survived and made it to round 2.

Round 2 - A bit easier.

Got the heart power up. Ran around. Use Encounters and somehow manged to take down most of the adds.

Popped a few stones and got Avalanche of Steel ready.

Only four or five adds and the boss to kill at the end.

Used encounters to take out most of the adds and wore the boss down to 25% health.

Used Avalanche of Steel to finish him off.
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I do hope some of the devs read this discussion, as it seems to have a good amount of feedback for them to consider. It also points to the fact that the challenge can be a breeze or really difficult solely on a random number that comes up and decides if the enemies are devils or demons. If you progressed to fighting those demons after running through the easier devils it makes sense, but random chance should not decide this.
    Edit: today they were devils, and two shields for power ups.... as easy as the first week of challenge.
    Post edited by bigman99#8273 on
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Today I finally got to find out what everybody was meaning with "flew through the air really really high" cause THAT is as close to flying as we will ever get in this game. Funniest moment in NW in the whole week for me.
    - bye bye -
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well, day 15-17 were more or less meeh, with day 18 simply being blerg...

As mentioned before, getting kicked from one corner of the arena to another and sometimes even into the arena walls isn't fun, especially when it happens over and over and fudging over again to the point were you can't even see what's going on anymore, because your character is stuck between the wall and the attacking horde.

No offense, but it feels like we're beta testing this event right now, and i'm wondering if anyone actually played through it before it was released onto the live server?!

21k IL Fighter, Dreadnought, focused on defense or "survivability".
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!

I do hope some of the devs read this discussion, as it seems to have a good amount of feedback for them to consider. It also points to the fact that the challenge can be a breeze or really difficult solely on a random number that comes up and decides if the enemies are devils or demons. If you progressed to fighting those demons after running through the easier devils it makes sense, but random chance should not decide this.
    Edit: today they were devils, and two shields for power ups.... as easy as the first week of challenge.

This was part of my reason for starting the thread. We should do this kind of thing for all the events. Give feedback, explain ideas about how to succeed at an event. Ang give an honest appraisal of what the event plays out in reality.

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Today it was trivial. Even didn't use any power up.
    Had to use a few health stone charges when enemies really piled up but otherwise it wasn't too bad.

"Ralbog the Ruinous". I see what you did there...
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Day 16 & 17 : nothing special. The two champions (can't remember what kind they were) didn't make any real difference. I kept and didn't use the bonus I had on both round 1 (it was both the HP shield) as I never feel in danger.

Day 18 : much more difficult. Rng wasn't kind with the bonus (no shield or heart), round 1 was standard, round 2 was a mess of bumping everywhere thanks too glabrezus AoE and their punch attacks, Bargula push cone, and i think i saw Zithars too.
    The Devil Champion here seems to make a real difference in the fight as it feels like he was buffing all the minions. Adding that with the minions lot of CC abilitiies, it was really more dangerous and difficult to handle.
    I had to give up on staying full AoE in the middle of the fight and picked up one mono target encounter (assassinate) so I can quickly dispatch one by one the most dangerous foes (usually Glabrezus, or maybe Magnus Cambions because they do a lot of damages at range while having not enough hp to tank one assassinate encounter in their back). Smoke bomb was always aimed in the champion nose (as he was sensible to CC).
    Didn't die, but used a couple of emergency health stone charges.

What is frustrating is the difference in efficiency between the various bonus you can get in each round. While the tempo HP (shield) and the regeneration (heart) trivialize the round (or at least half of it) when use, while the AoE air meteor bombing (skullhead) do some reasonnable damages/cleaning though you get immobilize too much time in my opinion while casting it, on the contrary the other ones are nearly completely useless (i didn't even notice what they exactly do... there is a boot and a lightning correct ? so speed and maybe more dps ?).

If you get one heart or shield in the first round, keep it for use it at the beginning of the 2nd round, then get another skull/heart during the 2nd round, then you basically have already win.
    If you don't get any heart or shield at all, then you will have to work (sometimes hard), as it should be, for winning.
    That led to some idea that this event is RNG driven rather than purely based on skill, which is sad...

I think the buff from the heart and the shield are way too long (1min ! would love that on the wheel of elements buffs for tempo hp or regen :P).
    Day 19 Back to easy.

Combination of mobs and shield made Round 1 trivial other than burning a couple of health stones.

Round 2 relatively easy. Usual tactics, heart power up. Job done.

I really does feel like we are beta-testing this - not much more to say today -
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Has anyone else noticed that Glabrezus's knock-back attack is ranged? That feels strange.

And I would either toned its effect down 50%... or increased it 50%. (the choice is on devs - either give us a chance to fight back, or grant us a bit more time to grab a snack while our virtual self is flying in the arena)
    edited December 2019
    Personally, I don't feel Glabrezus's knock-back is that bad. Sure, I was flying a bit and sometime hit the wall but it is also a "way" to leave the red. Since I usually keep the mob on one side (I prefer not to fight with enemy behind me), it gives me a little break and an extra second for the encounter cool down.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    difficulty is trivial now towards the end - two super easy rounds . . . . .
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, event beta testing done for Day 19 and 20, if you get demons and crappy boosts, you're up youknowwhatcreek without a paddle, but if you get devils and at least one heart or a shield boost, it's not a problem...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User

They don't. They actually have statistics that show an Arcanist is only 3% better dps in TOMM than an assassin. Mind boggling that they don't actually play the game to see just how wrong they are.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited December 2019

They don't. They actually have statistics that show an Arcanist is only 3% better dps in TOMM than an assassin. Mind boggling that they don't actually play the game to see just how wrong they are.
    Everybody is starting the fire everywhere, I can already see ppl coming at you with how bad cw dmg is.

Let's just say THANK YOU for DOM Insigs because I really thought at the start the "Choice" in Choice Box would be, well, Exchange-Vendor-worthy. God bless my new insigs.
    Post edited by jules#6770 on
    - bye bye -
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Always kill the range devil first , if that is possible. Because thats the one that will eat your health away .
    Day 20 Attempt 1

Gave up. But will try later. The lag meant I couldn't pop the powerups without at least a 1 to 2 second delay meaning I was dead a couple of times due to needing pinpoint precision as to WHEN I use th epowerup.

Died TWICE while smashing the darned F key to get the Shield Power up to work.

Very frustrated.
    edited December 2019

Always kill the range devil first , if that is possible. Because thats the one that will eat your health away .

I prefer to get to the range enemy first too but not because they will eat my health away. It does but not a concern to me.
    For me, it is more about AOE efficiency. Melee enemies will come to you. Range one won't.
    I prefer to hit a big group of enemy in each AOE attack. The more enemy the better.
    One AOE attack (for my Barbie, that would be Relentless slash). One swing, two hit. More enemy, more hit, more crit and more health recovery. Beating only one enemy does not give me much health recovery.
    Hence, I prefer to get close to the range one (the rest will follow) and deal with them all with AOE attack.
    Also, more hit I deliver (in one swing) + more hit I receive (bigger group of enemy), the faster to get to Battlerage.
    Day 20 attempt 2

2 Shield Powerups

Nice set of easyish mobs

All completed. Not too hard at all.

On a side note when I re-entered after dying first time there was no timer so I had to judge time by counting down slowly.

Seems like a bug to me.

All in all fairly easy
  • thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    In overtime, well for us who are still in 2nd week. There is no devils anymore. Just demons for me. Can't get devils anymore. Only demons, excatly same demons "spawn" after I died. Shield is waste of time because demons deplete shield within 30 second if I stay and wait/fight. Yes, shield can be depleted. Anyway, for me, 4-5 month old player... But somehow I completed 13 days as a tank, so i hope i'll do 14. My dps "paragon" fighter with that ilv (20K) can only dream about it. And still don't know what is that "boot" for. When I see the boot in 4/5 round, just let them to kill me.

In overtime, well for us who are still in 2nd week. There is no devils anymore. Just demons for me. Can't get devils anymore. Only demons, excatly same demons "spawn" after I died. Shield is waste of time because demons deplete shield within 30 second if I stay and wait/fight. Yes, shield can be depleted. Anyway, for me, 4-5 month old player... But somehow I completed 13 days as a tank, so i hope i'll do 14. My dps "paragon" fighter with that ilv (20K) can only dream about it. And still don't know what is that "boot" for. When I see the boot in 4/5 round, just let them to kill me.

The boot gives you extra movement speed but it is so small that you won't notice.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User

Personally, I don't feel Glabrezus's knock-back is that bad. Sure, I was flying a bit and sometime hit the wall but it is also a "way" to leave the red. Since I usually keep the mob on one side (I prefer not to fight with enemy behind me), it gives me a little break and an extra second for the encounter cool down.

I don't think anyone has much of an issue with a knockback, even at range, every now and then.

It's when it's constant. You walk into the arena, pushed back. You start getting up, in a red zone against the wall, and you are pushed again. You are now surrounded, at half your hit points or less. You want to pop a potion or use a healing power... but you are still controlled. You pop a potion finally... and the cycle repeats and you die. You can be unstoppable or otherwise "immune" to control, and it still happens.

There is no strategy. It's unrewarding play. Developers should test this stuff and change it so it's fun. Fun... that's supposed to be the point, and not just for the loud minority saying "I finally got a challenge." The vast majority of players aren't active on the forums and reached the first day in week 2 and quit the event. 90% of my guild.

Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!