test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is the mad mage not BiS for ToMM or BiS period

kenpachiofakkenpachiofak Member Posts: 9 Arc User
For me I just don’t understand how a set from countless mods prior out performs the rewards for the current and games most difficult dungeon. It doesn’t make sense. Especially for a trail that requires so much movement. Standing still for 3 seconds for the effect it’s a pretty bad idea for a set bonus. Why not make it the longer your in combat, the more beneficial the set bonus??? Currently the sets belt and waist are dirt cheap due to the useless nature of the bonus. It doesn’t give your work justice when something just released is tanking in price.

Comments

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    The original Lostmouth set bonus was so powerful, it had to be nerfed hard. The demo set is actually once again more powerful than desired, but it is somehow tolerable.
    If you look at it from perspective, the devs are trying to tone down every special bonus, never again to introduce anything too outstanding. The result is, what it is - nothing amongst the new set bonuses actually worth pursuing. The best example is the latest addition, the TOO neck-belt-art set bonus, reintroduction of the Black Ice set, which benefits the wearer with a whopping 1/1000 increase in dps. (which actually is - thanks to the new, post mod16 mechanics - 10x better yield than it was)

So yes, the previous sets were useful, the new are pointless. But it seems to be by design, not some oversight.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

The original Lostmouth set bonus was so powerful, it had to be nerfed hard. The demo set is actually once again more powerful than desired, but it is somehow tolerable.
    If you look at it from perspective, the devs are trying to tone down every special bonus, never again to introduce anything too outstanding. The result is, what it is - nothing amongst the new set bonuses actually worth pursuing. The best example is the latest addition, the TOO neck-belt-art set bonus, reintroduction of the Black Ice set, which benefits the wearer with a whopping 1/1000 increase in dps. (which actually is - thanks to the new, post mod16 mechanics - 10x better yield than it was)

So yes, the previous sets were useful, the new are pointless. But it seems to be by design, not some oversight.

Yeah, and it will solve itself too. At some point in the game you will not be able to wear old sets for their low stats - it will be too much. As long as you can manage to meet stats, Orcus will remain BIS, but I don't see them introducing another Orcus-like new set.
    - bye bye -
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

Where are the stats for the TOO gear listed at legendary/mythic? They are not listed in the collections at all, so I can't see if they are truly worth grinding for.

On the note of Orcus set being BiS(demon lords immortality set: baphomets talismane, demo girdle, and orcus wand) I have run this set on my rogue, and I see no difference in dps with it, vs without it. With that being said, how large a difference in player hp vs target hp do you have to have to get the full 20% extra damage? To me(at least) it seems more worthwhile to go for the straight up stat bonus belts(greater belt of strength for rouge, and greater belt of intelligence for wizard/warlock) than to run around farming for, and upgrading for a set bonus that I don't see working. I agree that the new set bonuses are trash in comparison to some of the old ones.

I still want to see the stats for the TOO gear at max refined level so I can figure out if its worth the effort or not. The neck/waist pieces have the same base IL as all the other new sets...
  • kenpachiofakkenpachiofak Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    If you’re in ToMM you better be rocking demo or the music box set for top tier dps there’s no comparison
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Because the devs don't care what is or is not considered BiS.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    And still no answer on what the stats for the TOO neck/waist are at max rank. They aren't in the collections on Xbox...
  • knightrider86#9458 knightrider86 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2019

And still no answer on what the stats for the TOO neck/waist are at max rank. They aren't in the collections on Xbox...

only have the neck on one of my characters since they messed up the order of stuff with DV being bugged af but to answer your question the neck has the following at legendary

784 combined rating
    37,632 max hp
    1305 crit strike
    1309 crit avoidance
    1305 Combat Advantage
    +1 str
    +1 con
    +1 dex
    +1 int
    +1 wis
    +1 cha

imo the neck and belts only real purpose is if you want those +1 stats i mean since journals are actually decent artifacts for them not being 300 ilvl ones
    I finally got a belt on my pally the other day.

Is there a bonus for having all 4 artifacts, and both neck and waist pieces? I have 2 books on my pally, and for him with one at mythic, and the other at epic(iirc) its worth 12k hp total. Just wondering if there is a bonus for having all of the pieces.

I'm still trying to understand just how the orcus set bonus works. I ran it for a long time on my pally, and I noticed no difference in DPS vs not using the set. Right now he runs the reflective collar, and the embellished waist piece. It give him more constitution vs any other belt, short of the greater belt of constitution. Which I haven't refined to legendary to compare yet. He has 2 books, drift globe, and can't remember 4th artifact.

I still have my orcus set, as well as some other weapons, simply because I have the bag space, and was thinking about trying other combos for kicks and giggles...
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    The Orcus set gives some % to your damage based on the difference of your and target's life-bar. Maximum bonus is in maximum difference (either you in full health an target almost dead - or vice versa). Zero bonus happens in equality - so if you oneshot something when being in full health, you did not benefit from the set at all.

For pally it is interesting to have 4 TOO books (40k boost to HP), waist piece from TOO set (+2 to all stats if you have TOO art), and neck piece that you find adequate (+con that TOO neck piece does not offer, stats that you prefer).

Demo set is somehow contra-productive for pally - as you are not supposed to take the role of main dps and it does not offer HP/stats that could help you in your role.
    rikitaki said:

The Orcus set gives some % to your damage based on the difference of your and target's life-bar. Maximum bonus is in maximum difference (either you in full health an target almost dead - or vice versa). Zero bonus happens in equality - so if you oneshot something when being in full health, you did not benefit from the set at all.

For pally it is interesting to have 4 TOO books (40k boost to HP), waist piece from TOO set (+2 to all stats if you have TOO art), and neck piece that you find adequate (+con that TOO neck piece does not offer, stats that you prefer).

Demo set is somehow contra-productive for pally - as you are not supposed to take the role of main dps and it does not offer HP/stats that could help you in your role.

This explains why I never felt like the Orcus set was really worth the effort(on any of my toons to be honest).

40k boost to hp is with 4 books at mythic? I have been farming these for these and have 4 on my wiz, but it does not increase from 10k hp 1k power with 4 equipped. Of course none are at mythic yet, so I am hoping to see more boost as they increase in rank.

I'm not suggesting that my paladin be bis dps, or even near same as highest dps(maybe 10% less than bis dps), as I wanna be able to kill bad guys in short order if the group runs ahead of me in dungeons. We are looking for new alliance now, as the last helm violated alliance rules and screwed our guild over big time, so finding good groups to run with is even moore difficulter than before.