test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What player behavior drives you crazy the most? How do you deal with them?

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
edited December 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
I admit, today I'm in a crabby mood. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why. Anyway, this is on my mind:

Obnoxious player behavior when you're just standing around.

No naming and shaming here; this is just about behavior and how you deal with it. Here are some things I find obnoxious to get it started:

- Nonstop swinging of one's weapon, usually in a way that's extremely noisy
- Humping your mount
- Nonstop mount flourish
- Nonstop unsummoning and resummoning of one's companion
- Nonstop jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping, usually in a circle around you

Sometimes I throw a water balloon at them. Sometimes I tell them to get lost. If I'm feeling particularly snarky, I might tell them to take their meds. Sometimes I just change instances. Often I also add them to the block list just because I don't want to ever have to communicate with someone that immature.

What do you think?
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    You're post collector ? Well, nothing. If i found some game drives me "crazy" i just leave. Anyway, when I play, I don't stand in a place, so they can jump as much as they want. Or hump, or whatever. If that drives you crazy perhaps it's time for some changes - pause for some time. There're plenty of other games arround. You can always come back :)
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

I admit, today I'm in a crabby mood. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why. Anyway, this is on my mind:

Obnoxious player behavior when you're just standing around.

No naming and shaming here; this is just about behavior and how you deal with it. Here are some things I find obnoxious to get it started:

- Nonstop swinging of one's weapon, usually in a way that's extremely noisy
    - Humping your mount
    - Nonstop mount flourish
    - Nonstop unsummoning and resummoning of one's companion
    - Nonstop jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping, usually in a circle around you

Sometimes I throw a water balloon at them. Sometimes I tell them to get lost. If I'm feeling particularly snarky, I might tell them to take their meds. Sometimes I just change instances. Often I also add them to the block list just because I don't want to ever have to communicate with someone that immature.

What do you think?

The jumping and weapon swinging don't bother me anymore. Kids will be kids - whatever age they are. My pet peeves are:
    • Being cussed at by an angry DPS complaining you aren't protecting them...as they consistently run well ahead of the group to chase top paingiver.
    • Walking into some kind of digital orgy in a backroom at the Moonstone Mask...AWKWARD.
    • Dungeon parasites who hang out at the campfire.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I have seen a lot of rude behavior in many MMOs and other online games. Neverwinter doesn't own the market on bad behavior. Players kicked from raids by elitists, others doing rude gestures (crouch button hammered over a corpse), snipers who watch for new players to leave the safe area and enter a PvP zone, and trolls that have a wide variety of psychological issues of their own.

I start by not making it my issue. But a few nights ago there was a flat Earth troll in the main hub. I engaged with him for a little bit of fun, but he fell flat rather quick, or there just wasn't enough people online to keep him going. I find the flat Earth trolls amusing, otherwise I don't feed trolls. I seriously can't believe there are "real people" who believe the Earth is flat. If you find yourself triggered by what you see in chat, turn it off.

I know what you are about to say, you cannot turn off chat in Neverwinter. When I was play testing, I found that one odd too. But here is how you do that for this game;
    1. click the gear icon by your chat window.
    2. create a new chat tab with the "New Chat Tab" button.
    3. name it Off or something like that.
    4. uncheck all the stinking boxes on the right and you are done.
    The only thing you should see is admin notices.

I never tell people to get "thicker skin" or "I have seen worse". Bad behavior is from them having the issue, I just feel sorry for them and their parents. My wife has what she calls amnesty and removes everyone from the ignore list at the start of each month. I have always felt, if they remove the anonymity from these games, trolls would dry up pretty quick. I am not really bothered by someone saying something derogatory about Hotfrostworm. That is just a handle, even if they know my RL name it wouldn't get to me. But for a troll to use his RL name is unheard of and that is their armor. If these games kept a record of who was actually playing the game, there would be fewer trolls, but also a few players who don't wish to be known at all.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    "be the bigger man" ignore it an "walk awayyyyy" lol trivial
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    The jumping grates on me, for sure.

The Barbie slamming their sword around bugs me too, but I noticed on my Barbie alt that it sometimes does that all on its own, so I'm a bit more forgiving about it. (Seriously - logged in, invoked, cleared professions, and noticed that the @#$% slamming their sword around was.... me.)

PE beggers are also high on my list. If you've gotten far enough to open up zone chat, you've gotten far enough to put together 2g for a mount.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Sorry, I'm one of those jump around everywhere, sometimes on the spot, barbarian slamming sword players. Maybe it comes from the old ET / Quake days with trick jumping for speed boosts. I also run around campfires in circles . . . . . I'll have to try and control my annoying habits and try and sit still.

My peeves - AFK players in Q'd content, other players using knockback in group content (looking at you DC's with sunburst and the Pally attack for gaining AP).
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Did you put a little claim sign on the node?

Barbarians in general seem to have serious impulse control problems.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

barbarian slamming sword players

Now, you have no idea how annoying this is when YOU are the player whose barbarian decides to continually fire at wills and you have no way to stop him...

• tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019

As to annoying player behaviour, when a player steals your node after you just wiped out some mobs pisses me right off

That kind of behaviour, though it doesn't really matter for me that I would be delayed a bit before getting the quest completed, always make me react immediately : I would follow this player during the next 5 minutes, steal him as much nodes as possible and/or pull as much mobs as i can to drive them right to him while he is already engaged or interacting. And /s "if you steal others then expect to be robbed or annoyed by others too"
    It's a very enjoyable mini educative game :P

I usually don't put anyone in my ignore list when it's an actual player (since 2016, only 3 managed to bother me enough to get in it, were trolls who flooded me with insanities or stupidities in pm. I don't count the AD/gold-sellers who were numerous back 3 years ago) .

The behaviours i can't stand are :

- total lack of minimal politeness (aka : verbal assault for no apparent reason [and NO, even if one player is the very reason why your group failed a dungeon doesn't justify to verbally assault him]).
    - people who think they know everything better and give you orders rather than asking if advices are needed. It's sometime funny as a lot have no clue about how to play classes other than the 1 or 2 they play themselves, or when it's clear they only know the "meta" way to go through the dungeon while not being able to think outside this "meta".
    - dps running ahead of everyone, dying AND complaining that others don't keep the pace (""What are you doing lagging behind ???" => my usual answer "What are you doing dying far ahead ???"). Happens a lot in ToNG after the 3 tombs are triggered, a lot of dps forget the last mobs before the now opened door (you can sometimes avoid to trigger them, but in random queue you are likely to get at least one player who will go fight them... ), then go straight into the hands of the 3 (if i remember correctly) shadows, get "forced choke" and die while the rest of the party are fighting the mobs in the previous room...

Players who afk in the middle of a dungeon are an annoyance, but I always assume that's the explaination is something happening IRL (emergency, mommy or daddy call to shutdown the computer, important phone call, doorbell ringing, etc), not jumping to the "it's a free-rider" conclusion right away.
    I'm although more forgiving in the leveling queue than in epic dungeon or trial queues.

Other than that, i walk away peacefuly if i'm annoyed by some noisy player with their weapon/encounters/mount/pet (but honnestly i usually barely realize there are noises as my NWO is nearly muted)
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Messing with queued content you waited to get into is pretty much the only thing for me. AFKs, people multi-boxing with chars on follow, various other shenanigans.

I'm not too concerned about people queueing into content they can't really handle - that's more of an issue with Cryptic setting the entry requirements/scaling wrong - but getting into content you won't even assist with is pretty annoying.

As for the jumpers/weapon swingers, I usually have very little reason to stand near them for any length of time.
    rikitaki said:

lantern22 said:

Now, you have no idea how annoying this is when YOU are the player whose barbarian decides to continually fire at wills and you have no way to stop him...

I've found it usually has to do with interacting with something, either with CTRL or otherwise, and pressing the mouse button. The mouse sets off the At-Will and locks it. Main problem is that a barbarian's At-Wills don't require having a target first.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    None. I don't care what others do. I worry about myself and how I'm enjoying my time. I don't let others ruin my play time.

As for most of the OPs "annoying" behaviors, I only ever experience that from friends when they're trying to get my attention. I can't say some random person has ever started mount humping me or slashing me incessantly for no reason. Maybe once or twice but that's not a bother at all.

People AFKing? I can either finish the content, kick or leave. Either way I find something else to do and continue to enjoy my time.

Node thieving? Minor annoyance but 95% of the time I shrug it off because who really cares. The other 5% of the time, well I may report you, chase you around, drag mobs, make the next 5 minutes of your life a roller coaster of fun.

People giving advice? I may try it, I may not. No harm and certainly not ruining my day.

It's an MMO. Part of that is a social game and just like in real life, some days you just have to deal with people you don't like and move on.
  • dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    People asking "is there a healer in the instance" in a trial, when said person is a ranger trying to snipe the mobs from half a mile away, or on their own in a corner trying to solo something instead of sticking with the group.

People who queue for a trial on a tank loadout so they get it to pop instantly, but clearly have no idea how to use their tanking skills, or don't even try and just pretend to be a dps.
  • inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    Make Wednesday official mount hump day, let em get it out of their systems then if they do it on off days, shame them in zone chat game of thrones style; Shame... Shame Whilton Stonechucker Shame 😛
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Excessive hopping makes me see red

During this past cta, I queued with some wizard who stood in the middle of the map and endlessly spammed lightning strikes on top of himself the entire match - every single second of the match. That was the most irritating thing I've come across so far.

- Afkers suck, but what about the ones that know they can't get kicked and rub it in your face by pulling out a throne
    - The butthead who races across a zone trailing enemies behind him and depositing them on everyone else
    - and I agree about node thieves. They're just another form of leech. No, I don't have my name on that node, but I don't have my name on my socks and pants either. Anyone with a brain and a sense of decency should know better - does know better.
    - when some flaming ego vaults in and wipes out the mob you're working on in somezone. It strikes me as particularly pathetic to see someone decked out in legendarys and mythics stomping through a place like Sharandar.
  • quarkindarkquarkindark Member Posts: 5 Arc User

Make Wednesday official mount hump day, let em get it out of their systems then if they do it on off days, shame them in zone chat game of thrones style; Shame... Shame Whilton Stonechucker Shame 😛

I love your idea; it's a great thought and Wednesday could be a tension tamer for the frustrated and bewildered as well as for the players that love to have fun! So then let's have the Wednesday Mountsy Bouncy and have a ball <3 Grab your pigs, baby, and let's make bacon ;) winky winky nod nod
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    My biggest pet peeve are those players that like to tell you, during a dungeon run, how to play your character.
    We had a guild leader in our alliance that enjoyed humping people with his pig. In his words he "couldn't help it". He was told to stop by many players and guild leaders in the alliance. It ended up getting his entire guild removed from the alliance.
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    dionchi said:

lesser equipped players who run ahead of the party (or try to) and repeatedly wind up getting themselves killed and lay there begging for someone to resurrect them - only for them to take off again and get killed...

You just described a typical bot behavior. :D

• krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    The opposite of the advice giver (most is well meaning, but can be abrasive), are the ones who do NOT listen (or watch the chat) - how many times have you seen someone attack the Thoones(?) in ToDG to death, even after (at first politely) being told over and over to not kill them, but guide them to self-destruction? I think the only way I saw that handled well in a few circumstances was to drag mobs to them so they had something else to attack before they wiped the Thoon, as long as there were mobs to drag...

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    Players queuing for content they can not even contribute to.

example:

An FBI dungeon queue i did today... The bottom two at DPS were the other two DPS.

Assassin (me) 53 million damage
    Juscticar (the tank) 10 million damage
    Healer 6 million damage
    Thamaturge 5 million damage
    Assassin 3 million damage
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited December 2019

example:

An FBI dungeon queue i did today... The bottom two at DPS were the other two DPS.

Healer 6 million damage

Seems to me everyone "contributed", but not to your expectations obviously.

Did these low scoring players hold back and not attempt to engage opponents or were they out paced by faster more power players who didn't think they should have to wait for them and that is the reason for their low scores?

If the other DPS players were just holding back, actually refusing to contribute (much) you have every right to be ticked... I would be too.

However if those last two DPS players were new, inexperienced or just left behind by other characters who ran away from them, then the fault is not theirs, think about it.

Just claiming another player failed to contribute because they had low damage scores is a bit misleading.

Lots of missing information that we are apparently expected to believe that just because the other two DPS characters didn't have higher damage scores, they "didn't contribute".

The two DPS players at the bottom of the list had sufficient scores to queue for Fang Breaker Island or they wouldn't have been allowed to be there in the first place.

In addition how does a player get experience, not to mention AD's to improve their characters stats except by running queues like FBI to get experience and the means to improve their gear?

Yeah I can see how someone could claim the last two players failed to contribute because of their low damage scores... about like a person can claim the world is flat because from where they stand they can't see the curvature of the planet.
    DD~
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

lantern22 said:

if you trigger the other at-will, it should stop
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019

example:

Healer 6 million damage

This happens a lot when I take my tank to do the ReDQ. And it's not tied to FBI, I see that a lot too in MSP, MC, eCC, eGWD (strangely not so much in CN, eToS, eLoL or VT) .
    I play a fighter as a tank between 22k-23k which is not so well equiped (more or less LoMM-able but only with a solid team/healer) : no rank 15 anywhere (not even the bonding runes), only 1 legendary comp (which is air archon, not even an augment), no leg mount and mostly blue insignas (3 or 4 are epics maybe), alabaster weapons, no reinforcement anywhere, etc... logic as it's not my main toon ;), just one of my biggest alt ^^.

I'm finishing on a regular basis some ReDQ dungeons in the first 2 paingivers. I notice my "paingiver rank" mostly because usually the 1st dps is complaining at the last campfire that there is no other dps in the team and the tank is 2nd.
    And this is fine for me, as long as we finish the dungeon :P.

Random queue is random queue. It's not only a random dungeon that you get : if you don't make a premade queue to run the ReDQ, then you can't complain to get a wide quality range of skills/builds/stuffs in the party with the random guys picked up for you by the system.

The only real way to prepare yourself and get use to the dungeons is by running them. The paingiver chart is a tool (not a precise one, but at least when the difference is huge you can understand there are some problems) to compare your own performances with others.
    What else ? Watch vid and copy-paste builds before ? Not a good advice in my opinion, unless you want to end with a herd of sheeps unable to think or figure out things by themselves. + run dungeons as an undergeared toon struggling with staying alive teach you way more than doing it with an overpowered one bruteforcing most of the things in the way...