test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty?

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    May be my hardware is fast, my graphic card is good and my internet connection to Cryptic is good. May be I have been lucky. I have not encountered any lag (may be that is the key).

I really don't have any trouble with my 21k Barbie. The horseman does not do anything much to me. I just stay out of their path. Hidden Dagger is good enough for me to move out of red (and sometime reds).

The range enemy did not do much to me. May be my defense/deflect is good.

I did not do any change or "upgrade" to my toon for this event. I don't use Bloodletter. I have Barkshield. I don't even care about power up much. I only use health potion once or twice and that was not even really necessary.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Some random is involved and some people must change one thing or two if they arent well geared, but thats good, I think people is doing better now that the 8th day.

And the event is a good example to teach new players how to attack, move a bit, attack move a bit, only use shift when really neccesary, etc. Basic tactics that lots of times make the difference in a hard dungeon between a veteran and a new player.

Or for example use shield in tab for wizards, use more aoe powers, positioning, etc. There are instances that are harder than others but I think the difficulty is ok.

And as allways the Item level is a barrier to enter, not that you can do the entire event with 18K. So you are encouraged to make your character stronger and get more rewards. There are already lots of events for everyone, like winter / summer festival, CTAs, etc.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2019
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6o9OSKQQ2U

Hellpit 2nd week without scrolls or stone of health

If only my warlock could do that kind of damage with CC too...
  • bryce#2259 bryce Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    It's a pure metrics event and not meant to be something to please players.
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

I had a vastly easier time today. The differences:

1. I fought devils instead of demons. This is probably the major reason.
    2. I got the shield powerup in the first round and held onto it all the way into the bonus round.
    3. I stripped enchantments, runestones, and legendary insignias from a couple of other alts that I don't play much. It boosted my IL up to 24.5 and added about 9k power before entering the Hell Pit.
    4. I equipped a Greater Red Dragon Glyph and a Greater Green Dragon Glyph.
    5. I paid special attention to the guys on horseback and took them down first when possible.

One tip: if you are playing a Barbie, double check your use of Bloodletter. It really, really likes to misfire. The icon will show it available but it will either say that it's still recharging when you try to use it or it will say nothing and still not work. On every use, keep it in the front of your mind that you might have to try again and again.

Be careful when fighting devils. One of them likes to put fear onto you (as a Mind Whisperer would in Chult). I haven't identified which one does it.

The Enticing Incubus(male versions of the succubus) provide the fear effect, called Draining Kiss...which is just a white ph screen as a debuff icon.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Day 13 [I think - lost track slightly] - Survived and contrary to opinion above somewhere I did and have learnt new tactics and ways of dealing with large groups of mobs in a small area.

Barbie 23k iL - old and slow player, casual like.

This works with heart and shield power up and has worked once or twice with the boot power up. I haven't had the chance to test it with the AOE power up.

1 Basically run and heal [somehow, pts stones or via mounts] until you get to about 1 min 30 left

2 Pop a potion or heal to full, turn and face the rampaging hoard.

3 Use Mighty Leap to jump into the centre of the mobs.

4 Use Hidden Daggers to get the fork out of the pack.

5 Use Axestorm to finish off any stragglers, or at least weaken them.

This should take you down to about 1 min 15 or so

6 Pick up the power up and run for 15seconds.

7a Heart, just keep running till you are down to about 20% health then BOOM powerup!

7b Shield, keep running till you are down to 20% health then BOOM powerup!

7c Boot - run, stone/pot turn Mighty Leap, Hidden Daggers and Axestorm combo. Rinse and repeat and pray to your gods who don't care about you. You maybe lucky and survive.

This should take you down to about 45 seconds left to survive.

8a Heart - wait till theres about 10 seconds left to survive then use Mighty Leap, Hidden Daggers and Axestorm. Then its a case of pots and stones to finish off the last stragglers

8b Shield wait till about 10 seconds left then push the attack button and nuke the fork out of the horde.

So Day 13 done. I also used same tactics for the Bonus Round.

So I have learnt and adapted my playstyle, this method above requires some tactics and timing, knowing when and where to leap into the fray, but it gets more intuitive the more you do it.

• poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    Exalted Narzugon (Nazguls, eh?) also use the Fear debuff.
    Both Incubus and Succubus in their higher (wave 4+) form cast the "kiss" skill. One is Fear, the other one is the same as Chultan Dancers' and makes you "enchanted" and walking into the middle of the mobs.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    After giving up yesterday. Tried again today. Had to restart round 5 a couple of times. And then got the merciful group of mobs that are much more forgiving.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Getting charmed and slowly walking into heavy mobs is pretty much a death kiss for my mage.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
    obsiddia said:

Getting charmed and slowly walking into heavy mobs is pretty much a death kiss for my mage.

Interesting - this hasn't happened once to my toon. Nor the Kiss thing.
  • kaher#5100 kaher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yeah the first week was easy enough but the 2nd week with the AOE red circles popping up underneath barely gives you time to use a at will power let alone encounter before it damages you and knocks you down letting the mobs swarm you. I play a warlock and barely can complete it by using up my potions and health stones (prob they want you to buy more). Half my damage was from the fireball enchantment in my chest piece since I was running away constantly time before the red circles of death could knocked me down. It just seem a cheap way to drain your stamina and health items. It is no fun and too much of a hassle for the items they offer. Kudo's for making a single player event that didn't rely on party favoritism to get on the team but thumbs down for it making it too irritating to play and have fun.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well, day 11-13 were pretty much the same, trying to kill as many enemies as possible from each wave while keeping one enemy alive until the next wave spawns to avoid being overrun by a full blown horde...
    That "tactic" works more or less fine until round 4 or 5 and the bonus round, when beside the constant bombing from above buckets of enemies with "crowd control" powers are just dumped into the arena, then it turns into a hit-and-run festival with certain death when the enemies manage to surround my character and there's no chance of getting away.

The overall difficulty is way out of line here and needs to be adjusted, so that a 18k IL character has a realistic chance to finish this event without being forced to cough up cash/grind AD for the buyout.

Anyway, there were more then enough moments were my character was "chain controlled" and i couldn't do a thing against this, so how is that going to be on day 15, when the difficulty will go up even more?
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Just finished day 14th on my cleric and not gonna run it anymore on this toon, at 21.7k its just too narrow success chance already and it's getting harder tomorrow, so yeah. Not sure if I was using the best skill setup, probably the typical one - sunburst, daunting light and bastion as last resort (since it's exorbitantly costly for an Arbiter), with Hallowed Armor and Light of the Scales as passives and Celestial Prominence & Hallowed Ground (actually quite handy when the mobs swarm you). Maybe it helps anyone...
    Post edited by poisoncloud on
  • marvyn#9793 marvyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I'm a little behind as I've been away, but I did day 8 and day 9 last night and this morning.

I agree with other posters that there's a big step up in difficulty on reaching the second tier. I completed all five rounds and the bonus rounds with no deaths, but had a few close moments. The amount of knockbacks and dodging required makes it tricky to use some abilities. I actually found the bonus rounds easier than rounds 4 and 5.

I'm 24k ilvl, but not greatly optimised for Arbiter as my mainspec is Devout. If I have enough time left to get to the third tier, then I am doubtful I'll be able to complete it unless I change some things.

Currently I'm using an augment pet (polar bear cub), and primarily using searing javelin and sunburst with hallowed ground as a daily (for the healing). Artifact is the staff of flowers. Thinking of switching to legendary Splinters for next attempt to see how that goes; maybe its cc:ing helps.

I find it difficult to imagine someone with 20k ilvl could do this, but perhaps other classes are easier.
    There is a part of me looking forward to Tier 3 - mainly for the lolz and the outrage on the forums ;)
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    regenerde said:

certain death when the enemies manage to surround my character and there's no chance of getting away

This really depend on the generated monster mixture. Some demon's attack cause knockbacks so mighty that they systematically get you out of such tricky situations. =) ...originally I thought that the omnipresent CC is a bad thing - it took me a while to adequately appreciate it :/

• motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    This event is a total fail for me and I will not play it, unless it changes A LOT.

10+ min of my time spent (per day) doing the most boring content day after day after day after day ...

Actually, because of bugs and disconnects I had to repeat the entire thing twice on days #1 and #2, meaning 30 min of mindless boredom per day on #1 and #2. On day #3, when the bug that fails to hand out reward tokens after successful completion was supposedly fixed, the bug was not fixed and I had to repeat the boredom again, resulting in 20+ min of boredom on day #3.
    So 80+ min of boredom, just to get 3 tokens (where I should have gotten 7)

I am happy that I quit after the unpleasant experience, because:
    - even if the second tier is more challenging (likely too challenging for most),
    - it does not make any sense at all
    - to gate extremely challenging content
    - behind 75-200 minutes of extremely boring content
    (75 min without any bugs or disconnects, 200+ min with the typical collection of bugs and disconnects).

Really, what have they been thinking.

At the very least there should be an option for the first seven tier one quests, to replace 10 min of boredom with 2 min of challenge. The new players that cannot do the challenge, can do still participate (trading challenge for more time spent). In other words, two tiers of difficulty should be available from the start, and we should be able to freely chose which tier.

Secondly, in order that the new (or casual) players can complete the entire event and earn the participation token, a similar choice should exist for the next higher difficulty level: A lower tier, that trades difficulty for more time, and a higher tier, that goes quicker but is more difficult.

As the event is now, it is NOT FUN. No matter how good the rewards are, I will not do 500-1000 min of totally boring stuff (interspersed with very challenging stuff) just to get a leg mount after more than a year (assuming they do five events per year)
    Day 14 - Very tired and suffering from Hell Pit fatigue. Losing hit points as I type this. I can see the red figures rising above my physical body.

Well survived Rounds 1-3 fairly easily using my new tactics, burned a bunch of Stones of Health though - but they were free from the Anniversary Event a couple of years ago, and I never use them normally. So meh.

Round 4 - died a few times even with the Heart the enemy DPS killed me in seconds. Used a Scroll of Life or two. Still no good. I think eventually I used a heart power up, had a lucky group of Mobs and waited till 5 seconds were on the clock and popped Avalanche of Steel then wiped up the remnants.

Round 5 - had to wait till I got the shield. Ran till 45 seconds left on the clock, popped the shield power up and built rage then with 5 seconds to go Avalanche of Steel and finished over leftovers.

Bonus Round was lolz just as it started hit by a ton of falling fire and red splats, knocked me over, got up, was surrounded by mobs and was kicked to death in about 2 seconds.

I am glad I did all 14 days out of sheer tenacity.

My reward? A Coal Ward, refined a bonding to Rank 15. SO that made me a bit happier.

Roll on day 15 - I am intrigued as to how hard they are going to make this. My thoughts on the event in general to follow Day 15 madness.

Phew. That's me done.
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    Got the Token of Achievement today, but the CC was just ridiculous, breaking though mechanics on barbs that are supposed to give CC immunity. Battlerage, Mighty leap ON the jump, Avalanche of Steel all got thrown down repeatedly by a large knockback. Idk if its WAI or a bug, but its was definitely over the top today on the bonus round.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    Wait! They changed the difficulty on the 14th day instead of after? Could it be the patch was intended for tomorrow instead of today?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Wait! They changed the difficulty on the 14th day instead of after? Could it be the patch was intended for tomorrow instead of today?

Not sure. I felt the difficulty was pretty much the same. Certainly no Boss Rounds. Certainly not massively harder. To be honest I am just bored of running in circles. That's not what I expect to do in an MMO.

Its more like a freaking Benny Hill chase
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    It was just like yesterday imo, except for the token.
    - bye bye -
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Well, day 14 and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFto_NgmFGE
    came to mind.

The regular rounds were today as they were yesterday, but during the bonus round my character was send flying from one corner of the arnea to another most of the time, with as few brief moments on the ground while being "crowd controlled"... and i'm not talking about being kicked around on ground level as usual, but my character was literally flying through the air above the arena.

I can't say how i managed to get through it, but it sure as hell didn't feel like a "win" in the end, and it wasn't fun either.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Well, day 14 and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFto_NgmFGE
    came to mind.

The regular rounds were today as they were yesterday, but during the bonus round my character was send flying from one corner of the arnea to another most of the time, with as few brief moments on the ground while being "crowd controlled"...

I can't say how i managed to get through it, but it sure as hell didn't feel like a "win" in the end, and it wasn't fun either.

I think the knock back is the Glabrezu. I had a shocker yesterday, was like being a ping pong ball everytime I dropped my shield. The range on the attack seems excessive, although maybe that was lag.

Terence Hill & Bud Spencer - loved those movies when I was a kid!
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Today's bonus round was nuts. Getting yanked across the room and I can't tell which mob is doing it. Somehow I survived, barely. Think this is a preview of what tomorrow's tier 3 difficulty will be like. Up till today, I've slotted only heal potions and I just top off my health in case I get an unlucky chain CC. Tomorrow I will have to go health stones. And use the power ups (I tried them out the first day and didn't bother after that).
  • taylaamogintaylaamogin Member Posts: 24 Arc User

Everyone is saying, "This is too easy." I am using my wizard at IL 18K and I am having little issue at the moment. However this is day 3 and I can't wait for day 7 and 14 to hit with the Pit Bosses and everyone start crying about how hard it has become. I keep hearing this from players of Neverwinter; "It is too soft! Waah!" or "This is too hard! Waah!" I never hear "Hey this is fun!" but that is what I will say, Hey this is fun! :grin:

I've come across a ton of people that say it is fun with no complaints, including myself. You hang around the wrong people lol