test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please update or fix the profanity filter.

Can someone please tell me, in what language, situation or bizarre sexual proclivity is the name "Peter" a profanity?

I'm burning off some old companions to bump the Bolster on some alts, and being short of time and short on inspiration, I decided to name my Cleric's new Pewter Golem, "Peter T Golem".
It wouldn't let me.
So through a brief process of elimination I discovered that it had no issue with the word "Golem" or the letter "T", but "Peter" is a bad word???

It's my own middle &%^$ing name!!!

I refuse to believe that I can have gone through life this long without discovering that it was a filthy word in some language or other!
So anyone who can enlighten me... I would be very grateful.

Comments

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    In English. Peter can mean......your manliness. Not new. It's been slang for that appendage for a very long time.
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Roger is also a bad word, as It would not allow me to name one of my alts Roger.

As I understand it, it is a Microsoft thing, and not Neverwinter...
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    add an asterisk like the PE trolls do, then you can get away with anything
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Someone explained the whole "male member" thing to me the other day, but living in England I've never heard it used that way.
    The shortened form of "Richard"... sure. But Peter?
    The closest I could find was my long dead Grandma's favourite "Knock Knock" joke...
    "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Peter"
    "Peter who?"
    "Peter night before you go to bed, cos I'm not washing those sheets again!"

The only slang use I'd ever come across for "Peter" was it's use to mean "safe" or "solid" which came from the Biblical St Peter aka "The Rock"

Is it ironic that "The Rock" is now the nom de guerre of Dwayne JOHNSON? Now THAT is an American slang word I AM familiar with!

Edited to Add: "I'm starting the clock now on how fast this thread gets shut by admin... :) "
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

This cracked me up. Just chalk it up to the vast minute differences between American English (and slang) and "Proper" British English. I've heard my share of hilarious slang British phrases from some of my "over the pond" guild buds.

This cracked me up. Just chalk it up to the vast minute differences between American English (and slang) and "Proper" British English. I've heard my share of hilarious slang British phrases from some of my "over the pond" guild buds.
    Our alliance leader says the same.
    I think its because we've had centuries more to muck about with the English language and find the best ways to break it than everyone else. Though my Aussie mates have a pretty good way of making English sound like it was developed with the express intention of being vulgar and insulting.
    "Drongo" is my particular favourite Antipodean word. No one needs a definition when a Queenslander states, "Ah, shut yer face, ya Drongo!"

Of course, I have little doubt that someone is probably going to come on later and explain that it's an aboriginal word for the male member...
  • bottbolliusbottbollius Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    You can't say "got" and i got to know why
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I've definitely heard peter referred to that way. although never in a racy way. it's the way kids would refer to it to be polite. I haven't heard it since I was in school. the same way girls would refer to aunt flo. it is all microsoft though. pc can turn off filtering. ps4 has a whole 'nother set of filtered words. you can definitely say got on ps4. neverwinter cant' touch the filter system.
  • This complaint is as old as the game itself. The reason is this game is international and incorporates an international language database. Some games limit you to only running with people in certain regions. I appreciate that we can run with people anywhere in the world, and I use asterisks.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    Spelling variations help. You might want to change it to Petyr T Golem or something along those lines
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I was typing in chat and you cannot use 80K in there. Cryptic need to lighten up!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • awolwarrior#2649 awolwarrior Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The word "got" is what bothers me.
    It always looks like I'm cussing out my party because random words are censored.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

It always looks like I'm cussing out my party because random words are censored.

That one, and several others, is caught and changed by the xbox chat filter not neverwinter's. You can say "got" on neverwinter's PS4 and PC versions.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    zephyriah said:

That one, and several others, is caught and changed by the xbox chat filter not neverwinter's. You can say "got" on neverwinter's PS4 and PC versions.
    Yup, now on PC instead of telling people "git gud" we just type "got got"

(jk)
    It did let me call my latest companion "Willy"...

Just thought I'd add that gem of intellectual witticism to this high brow conversation.
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    zephyriah said:

"it" is another that MS censors...

But as others have said, its an MS issue, not Neverwinter...