test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hell Pit Difficulty?

Comments

• mythdemeanourmythdemeanour Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Week two day 3(?) and I will just do the regular 5 rounds now. It only took one time getting used as a punching bag with continuous CC to make me never want to do a bonus round again. The 5 normal rounds are a challenge, but not to bad with the power ups, so I will just do those instead.

IMO the bonus round should just be renamed to "yer gonna die if you fail a RNG roll" and I build my characters to avoid as much RNG as possible.
  • elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    regenerde said:

Well, the event is just showing rather cleary what is oh so wrong with the game... it's either a cake walk or a horror show with no real middle ground in between thanks to the randomness of what boosts and/or enemies a player can get within every round.

imho it is a perfect example of design by moving sliders without actual testing how things go as difficulty rises. I am 23wizard and I have been able to do all 5 rounds every day, but I have real doubts most of players with 18lvl or 20lvl are able to finish 14 days.

Today I was smashed around 1:30 in bonus round while I ended in graphic mashup as one of the previous users published few posts above me. If I would be lucky and got shield power up I would probably finish it, but I got HAMSTER power up. Another example of RNG design.

• xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    How many players having trouble with the bonus round have tried changing their builds up?
    A single target DPS is going to struggle, as well as many dungeon builds.
    Something with a good amount of CC and CC resist should do alright, DoT's as well.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Why place a IL restriction on content, when a player with that IL can't get through it?

Well, you did get through the first 7 days and got some rewards for that.

The event is obviously built with ramping up difficulty and they probably don't expect the lower levels to manage more than the first week.

If it is any comfort, at 25.5k but not ToMM geared, I expect major issues with day 15.

People with ToMM weapons got 20% more damage, for instance - plus the general benefits from being ToMM geared.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited December 2019

regenerde said:

Why place a IL restriction on content, when a player with that IL can't get through it?

The event is obviously built with ramping up difficulty and they probably don't expect the lower levels to manage more than the first week.

If it is any comfort, at 25.5k but not ToMM geared, I expect major issues with day 15.

People with ToMM weapons got 20% more damage, for instance - plus the general benefits from being ToMM geared.
    Remember, we're scaled down to 20k. Whatever we have above that doesn't matter.

Since the run today, the maxim "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" has been on my mind. A legendary mount is a high-dollar item. You can easily spend hundreds of dollars in lockbox keys before getting one. Something tells me that on day 14 the difficulty will be cranked up to impossible for all of the rounds, because the last thing the devs will want to do is give lots of them away. We'll find out in four days.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • mythdemeanourmythdemeanour Member Posts: 87 Arc User

How many players having trouble with the bonus round have tried changing their builds up?
    A single target DPS is going to struggle, as well as many dungeon builds.
    Something with a good amount of CC and CC resist should do alright, DoT's as well.

I am using a rogue, with tons of AOEs and DoTs, my problem with the bonus round is not enough AOE or damage as I can do the regular rounds just fine, most times without power-ups. The inability to get off a single attack and the entire floor being a red zone from the start is the main problem. CC resist would be nice to have, but honestly even if I could shrug off the occasional CC I would most likely still end up thrown about like a rag doll. The round i gave up on, I had even saved a heart power-up from a previous round. End result was having the pleasure of watching myself being kicked around for longer... what joy.

I'll save the cost of rebuilding my character with more CC resist and just skip the obviously over tuned bonus round.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

regenerde said:

Remember, we're scaled down to 20k. Whatever we have above that doesn't matter.

Since the run today, the maxim "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" has been on my mind. A legendary mount is a high-dollar item. You can easily spend hundreds of dollars in lockbox keys before getting one. Something tells me that on day 14 the difficulty will be cranked up to impossible for all of the rounds, because the last thing the devs will want to do is give lots of them away. We'll find out in four days.
    You won't get the legendary mount on the 14th day anyway. It will be on the 5th 14th days. If Dev wants to limit the free legendary mount, they will be stupid to do that in the first event instead of (say) the 4th or 5th. Because if people cannot even pass the first event, they will not do the 2nd to the 5th.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Since so many people had trouble and somehow I really don't with my ilevel 21 Barbie (no where close to BiS and don't have anything from LOMM or TOMM), I really wonder why. There were much worse fights I did before. This one is not yet one of them. e.g. I consider solo IG is tougher than this. I even get 5 boots in a row today. That was not a big deal. I just need to drink health potion here and there.

What are your fov setting? Do you see the whole arena? I always use 90 and zoom all the way out. I see the whole arena. I know where I should go and where I should not go. I can see where all the bad guys are and what they are doing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited December 2019

Since so many people had trouble and somehow I really don't...

Just give it some time, the mob mix seems randomly generated. My barb is usually doing just fine too, but recently got a little bit startled when every other freaking mob had CC that goes through battlerage - and landing flat lying on the ground after the jump phase of Avalanche of Steel was a surprise for me as well.
    It is not about the situation awareness, with a proper mob mix once you got hit by CC, you are pretty much done for - as there is no escape from the following onslaught.

• bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    So with all the people having issues with CC, has anyone thought to go out and grab a Elven battle enchantment? I mean prices have been plummeting because of the lock box drops. Significant amount of cc reduction there for a price better than its been in awhile. As for the charms, have your character face the wall of the arena when a new wave spawns, the creatures here seem to expend their abilities as soon as they pop.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Day 11 - Intense.

Managed all five rounds - my tactic is to wait till I get a good power up. Use Stones of Health, run a lot and pick and choose when to stand and fight.

Dies maybe five times in the five rounds, used 5 or 6 health stones.

In the bonus round, got the heal up power up, popped health stones, ran like crazy dodging in and out of the RED floor, made my stand at 0:00 seconds remaining, hit three Barbie AOEs, ran, used a stone, rinse and repeat. Finally finished the bonus round victorious.

All in all it took me 20+ minutes. But the message is, don't give up, keep sloggin it as it IS RNG based - mobs, damage, power ups.

An I am a very average eplayer, nowhere near BiS 23k Barbie. If I can do it a lot of beeter players can do it as well :)
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Ever since the first big change, the difficulty has been the same for me.
    I checked, to be sure, so I can tell you what I run with: 24k HR with maybe 155k power, augment, heal on insig bonus, the same set up as I run all the time.
    I run 1 aoe daily and 1 aoe encounter.
    The only thing I try to do is save the heart and the shield for the bonus round. If I get the boot in the rounds I take it, because when I didn't, all I did get in the end was boots.
    Yesterday, I had 1x hearts saved for bonus round and it was fine.
    Today, I had 1x heart from before and got the shield (or opposite around ...) in the bonus round.

All I do is shift a lot at first to avoid getting stuck. It is fast paced, but I liked soloing before, so for me this is like my first time solo on the FBI hill. Exciting, even tho I feel idiotic doing it lol.

I would not get anything for an event, like buying a different ench or whatever. I do, however, believe in not being the squishiest dps cannon in universe. I cap def, have over 300k HP and a (bad) bark.

I can see that this is different for everybody, and that not all classes are like HR (feels weird do say this with a positive meaning, not like "uh I'm sorry I'm not a gwf") but yeah, I'm not maxed or a good player or anything. Try to get lucky, the rounds can work, and if the bonus round fails then ... so what. If you fail a day, so what. Try again. Don't if you don't want. Its not the end of the world imo.

And no, I don't say that because I have legs already lol. I don't have a single leg. But the only thing I as a dps want from that mount is a higher movement speed ... doing that event for a whole year for that seems not like a time well spent, I will probably get something else.
    - bye bye -
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Today was an entirely different story. Too much CC and seemed like everytime I go in get the same set of mobs so I just gave up. I even tried the overload demon wards which should have reduced their damage...umm no it did not...so guessing demons in hell pit they don't work on. either that or they are hitting 50% harder today. Will try again later and hope for a better mix. Also hopefully won't get the boot ever freaking time either.
    AHHHH I just realised you can carry over the good power ups and end up with two for the bonus round - i.e. say a Heart from Round 5 and maybe a Shield for the Bonus Round.

Never realised or thought this bit through.
  • derdrakonderdrakon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    Does anyone have a good idea, how one can survive the hellpit as a dps cleric? Powers, rotation, guide, anything?
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    25K Fighter (Dreadnought with Elven Battle enchant)

Able to make it through without using potion or stone of health

Save good powerups for the rounds where you need them

I imagine it would be hard for lower IL toons and less tanky classes/builds though
    edited December 2019
    g

AHHHH I just realised you can carry over the good power ups and end up with two for the bonus round - i.e. say a Heart from Round 5 and maybe a Shield for the Bonus Round.

Never realised or thought this bit through.

Yeah, also taking HAMSTER ones early so you get better ones in last two rounds to save, if you can.
    - bye bye -
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Hr here, with Elven Battle rank 12 and Health Stones I'm now running ok. No deaths in the last two days. Kiting and hitting when my encounters come out of cooldown. Lower geared characters will probably have a very bad experience though. I'm not even trying with my alts.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • derdrakonderdrakon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    empalas said:

Today was an entirely different story. Too much CC and seemed like everytime I go in get the same set of mobs so I just gave up. I even tried the overload demon wards which should have reduced their damage...umm no it did not...so guessing demons in hell pit they don't work on. either that or they are hitting 50% harder today. Will try again later and hope for a better mix. Also hopefully won't get the boot ever freaking time either.

There are not only demons in the arena. Sometimes you fight demons, and sometimes you fight devils. I don't know if anti demon stones work for devils, but I assume not.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    derdrakon said:

empalas said:

There are not only demons in the arena. Sometimes you fight demons, and sometimes you fight devils. I don't know if anti demon stones work for devils, but I assume not.
    The devils are easier to beat than the demons. When I see the demons from demonic enounters at the start of round 4 or 5 I know I'm doomed. Should have helped with those but it did not. Finally got through it today but took a lot of deaths. I wouldn't even use my scrolls against the ones with mostly demons. Generally got the boot for powerup too which didn't help.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    For next week I suggest you exchange some boon for the demons, and buy overlord enchants damage marks and damage reduction against demons if you want to finish, as I foresee something really challenging.
  • akuarmotonakuarmoton Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Having legendary Splinters has helped my rogue alot, it has good cc and healing. I haven't used single stone yet, and just couple healing pots when broom was downed.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    the main key is to not stand still. Keep moving and only stand still briefly to use an AOE attack here and there. dont bother using most single target attacks as they are not really useful due to the amount of mobs. (bloodletter for healing on a barbarian would be an exception).

kill ranged guys and succubi as soon as possible. The ranged ones because of the continual ability to damage you while kiting and the succubi because there charm effect is absolutely deadly.

I am running this on 2 different accounts and have only failed 1 bonus round (due to a bit of lag and bad timing by myself)

tr powers used - POTB constantly going, smoke bomb and Stealth bladefurry for mob killing. Occasionally use whirlwind of blades dont bother using at wills unless only a couple mobs on screen

Barbarian - pop unstoppable and relentless slash until rage is just about done. start moving and use not so fast, bloodletter (unfeated so it heals me) and Axe storm (surprisingly useful) to refill rage, continually moving between attacks. and then repeat.
    Day 12 - Survived, just. Nearly lost my mind at times. Barbie girl, 23k, old tired gamer.

General tactics for Rounds 1-3

1 Run/Sprint/avoid red areas and heal using pots or stones
    2 See which power up it is
    3 If its shield or heart grab it
    4 If its boot or AOE let them kill you on the spot, heal at campfire from injuries go back to step 1, rinse and repeat.
    5 Use power up when timer is BELOW 1 min left [heart or shield]
    6a run around a lot [heart] sniping away at them to not get insta killed
    6b once shiled is popped just play GOD and destroy everything with less than 10 seconds to go - timing this right is essential

Round 4-5
    As above but I need the shield.
    Pop shield once timer goes below 1 min
    Go to 6b above
    If you have Avalanche of Steel even better

Is this fun?

Bonus Round - out of sheer bloodimindidness I survived with no power up at all appearing [has anyone ese had this?] to zero seconds then kamikaze attacked the horde. I died in a bloody pulp of a mess.

Seriously, reduce the respawn on mobs would make it more of a battle and less of a game of tag.

Its a nice change though, a challenge, and sometimes its rewarding in terms of gameplay.

I probably died and restarted Round 4 5 or 6 times.
  • acutetoxicityacutetoxicity Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    biggest pile of sh£$ EVER! 19.8k il cleric and i cant survive round 5 never mind bonus round while my friend's new 18k il paladin survives if barely. And all you people saying how easy it is. don't forget not everyone has orange bondings, legendary mounts and pets, and all enchants at least level 12. Not sure how they are encouraging the 'newer players' to play when they do HAMSTER like this.
    edited December 2019

biggest pile of sh£$ EVER! 19.8k il cleric and i cant survive round 5 never mind bonus round while my friend's new 18k il paladin survives if barely. And all you people saying how easy it is. don't forget not everyone has orange bondings, legendary mounts and pets, and all enchants at least level 12. Not sure how they are encouraging the 'newer players' to play when they do HAMSTER like this.

The only thing truly wrong about hellpit is the IL requirement. It is not supposed to be for new players as far as I can tell. Maybe the first week, so people don't feel left out, but the last few days will most certainly not be for players that do not have the lvl and/or the (solo) history on NW.
    I don't mean to sound like an HAMSTER, since I'm also one who said I think it's fairly easy. I think the description of the event is misleading, just as TOO was misleading especially at the start, just as most IL requirements in this game are misleading, because IL is misleading. I can also see the next hell pit event nerfed, simply because they probably didn't check the second week + enough (that means on all classes with their whole not-god-mode-brokeness)
    I was also somehow convinced we would all get the leg mount (simply because we deserve it, tbh. I mean. We are still here.)
    but that won't happen I guess.
    They will probably reduce the mobs and nerf it to the ground, because thats pretty much all that makes it hard right now: the mass of mobs and some of their nastiness.. There is not much more to it.

Oh, about how they are encouraging newer players?
    - intro chests with gear
    - Mod 16
    - Mod 16
    - oh. yeah. kinda Mod 15
    - shortcuts
    - buyouts
    - a lot of HAMSTER I hate.
    - oh yeah. nerfing everything older players worked for
    - bye bye -
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I had a vastly easier time today. The differences:

1. I fought devils instead of demons. This is probably the major reason.
    2. I got the shield powerup in the first round and held onto it all the way into the bonus round.
    3. I stripped enchantments, runestones, and legendary insignias from a couple of other alts that I don't play much. It boosted my IL up to 24.5 and added about 9k power before entering the Hell Pit.
    4. I equipped a Greater Red Dragon Glyph and a Greater Green Dragon Glyph.
    5. I paid special attention to the guys on horseback and took them down first when possible.

One tip: if you are playing a Barbie, double check your use of Bloodletter. It really, really likes to misfire. The icon will show it available but it will either say that it's still recharging when you try to use it or it will say nothing and still not work. On every use, keep it in the front of your mind that you might have to try again and again.

Be careful when fighting devils. One of them likes to put fear onto you (as a Mind Whisperer would in Chult). I haven't identified which one does it.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • dlwright62#9885 dlwright62 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    the increasing difficulty in the hell pit will only leave the best of the best doing this all meaderocher players or handicapped players will not be able to do this not really worth the fustration and dont care about my spelling just one more thing to not want me to play cant compete when you cant tell whether or not your standing and 10 plus monsters knock you backand your suppose to have alot of stats to prevent that any 18 k to 20 k i dont see completeing past the first 7 days
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    As a 26k Arbiter Cleric, I've found the second week a bit of a challenge - the CC especially - but very survivable. My only moments of real sweating come in the bonus round when it dumps all the mobs pretty much at once. I've been going heavy AoE, the big 3 healing insignia bonuses, and I keep my health stone handy.

For power-ups, I'll grab and use whatever pops, unless a shield shows up, in which case I'll hold it as long as I can. If a second shield pops, I'll use the first, and grab the second.

If you're using a Barkshield, you may want to swap it out for something more useful, as the 4 charges will be down pretty much the entire fight.

And honestly, as someone who dumped rolls of quarters into arcade machines back in the day, it's nice to sweat a bit when playing, and have to re-think some approaches. I'm not sure how well I'll do in week 3, but I'll definitely give it a go.