test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Friday Sale is only 30% off? And only 25% off on Expedition Packs? What the....

Comments

• killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User

You do realize because MANY players save all years for the 50%-40% off, they really want to decrease the amount of "MANY" players, right? I expected they would eventually do this since the first time they did the 50% off.

Yes, sadly they have decreased the amount of "MANY" players with each bad decision they have made over the last couple of years and clearly they look to decrease the population by "MANY" more.
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    50% off for 1 Day only.

40% off for 1 Weekend only.

30% off for 11 Days.

The end is nigh your grace.

On a serious note, as much as planning for 40% and seeing 30% annoyed me i would much rather see no sales at all and no 16 Million backlog and waiting 34 days to get my Zen over 40% off regular sales and having to wait weeks ( at best ) to exchange my AD.

Whatever kills the backlog is what i support.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2019

dionchi said:

Can't expect them {Cryptic} to offer big discounts over many days is an accurate statement, but considering the discount amount for this year's much anticipated "Black Friday Sale", is about the same (or in some cases even less) than coupons that sometimes drop when a player invokes at any time during the year, what's so special about Black Friday on Neverwinter?

Comparing the discount to coupon is not a very good comparison. The best discount from invoke coupon is 25% on specific items. Pres/coal wards and VIP are probably the most purchased items and the coupon discount is only 20%. So the 30%, while nothing to write home about, still makes them 50% cheaper than coupon. And you can buy in bulk instead of waiting to "win" the coupon game. People just lose out on bigger profit when flipping to the AH
    I won't swear to it but I believe I've seen a few 30-33% off companions coupons, so as as I said the 30% Black Friday discount is nothing too remarkable as far as I'm concerned. And of course there are the 40% off keys coupons, 10% better than the once a year Black Friday sale price...

If I ever feel I really need something at a later date, I can always use the next 20% off of any item coupon to drop and buy it then, rather than feel compelled to purchase it now for just an extra 10% off.

Then there are the "special" sales and VIP sales where one can purchase bundle packs that include VIP and items, or keys and items every now and then during the course of the year, all usually advertised as offering more than a 30% discount value.

For me the fact of the matter is there isn't anything I figure I need at this time that makes a 30% discount appear especially appealing...

But then I'm only speaking from my perspective, not for anyone else. If some other players get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the 30% discount, of course they should go for it but as I stated, for me the impetus to make my usual annual Black Friday purchases just isn't there this year.
    matthattr said:

-snip-

Got lot's of other RL, BF things to shop for, ...

^^^ Yeah, that...

Spending less during Neverwinter's Black Friday event just leaves me more cash to spend on other, more tangible things.

Come to think about it, maybe I should be grateful for Neverwinter/Cryptic reducing their discount to 30%.

DD~
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited November 2019

50% off for 1 Day only.
    40% off for 1 Weekend only.
    30% off for 11 Days.
    The end is nigh your grace.

On a serious note, as much as planning for 40% and seeing 30% annoyed me i would much rather see no sales at all and no 16 Million backlog and waiting 34 days to get my Zen over 40% off regular sales and having to wait weeks ( at best ) to exchange my AD.

Whatever kills the backlog is what i support.

Well, adding legendary Mounts for 5600 ZEN (=4.2m AD) to the store isn't going to remove the backlog, and stopping all sales will only result in "removing" even more paying players from the game...

Besides, a good way to balance the "need" between AD and ZEN would be to improve/upgrade the Wondrous Bazaar, but that one is in a HAMSTER-poor very bad state for a very long time now, i mean even with the ViP discount and when a sale is running there's hardly anything in there worth buying.

So, the Devs could start with bringing at least some usefull items (bound to account of course) to the Bazaar, and they could also start with rotating event/promotion stuff on a weekly/monthly basis through it, they could then use Rhix to announce those special deals/sales in game.

Anyway, it's not like this wasn't suggested to the Devs/people in charge over and over again, but all we got this far was an increase of the AD Exchange/ZAX cap.

Last but not least, looking at what changes they brought to the game over this year, and all the things that are still broken right now, or how the customer support can't do a damn thing to help players that have run into a problem, i'd say they should have either gone back to the 50% sale or let it be another 40% this year again...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    I thought things were looking up! When I was kinda thinking/hoping the leg mount was after this hellpit, before they added leg mounts for single char to zen store and since I got some zen through... Or whatever now, really.
    It's always the same. You think they notice how bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is going down and finally acknowledge who is still here or... nevermind, who am I kidding.
    You know, for 30%... I will just buy VIP whenever I am really really sure I can stand logging daily again. Next mod maybe.
    - bye bye -
  • cts2000#2706 cts2000 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I think many players are coming down a bit hard on Cryptic, it's not their gig.....Sales events/Percentages, etc. are decided on by the management at Perfect World Corporate offices. It's the suits (many not even from the USA) that make the decisions. If they were smart and really wanted to actually, you know, make some money - I'll give them a clue - put the damn Alpha Compy up for sale for christ's sake....
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    regenerde said:

snipped

I've been screaming about the need for changes to Zen Market and Wondrous Bazaar for ages now, i feel you.

If it were up to me the only thing up on Zen Market would be lockbox keys, account wide mounts / pets, account upgrades ( packs, char slots, bank slots etc. ) or cosmetic fluff like Fashion. Everything else - Account bound in the Wondrous Bazaar at reasonable prices.

Back in the pre 500 AD per Zen Days no one cared about event discounts on anything not called Lockbox Keys because you could either instantly or within a few days get all the Zen you need so hoarding and waiting for sales for months was not needed. The cycle of piling up AD to Zen to only spend it twice a year needs to be broken and reducing the incentive to wait for Black Friday / Jubilee should be part of it - not enough, but part of it.

I'm not happy with getting a lesser discount this year but people are looking way too much into it, i can't wait to count all the *this means Cryptic will shut down game soon* threads and posts that will pop up over this.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    OP, read the whole post.

"Additional sales on Zen and other offers and events are also occurring throughout the week! "

That means the 30% discount is the baseline. Other discounts / sales will occur between now and Cyber Monday. Just check back everyday. It is likely the 30% will increase to a higher percentage at some point for a brief (like 12 or 24 hour) period of time.
  • brandemisbrandemis Member Posts: 35 Arc User

OP, read the whole post.

"Additional sales on Zen and other offers and events are also occurring throughout the week! "

That means the 30% discount is the baseline. Other discounts / sales will occur between now and Cyber Monday. Just check back everyday. It is likely the 30% will increase to a higher percentage at some point for a brief (like 12 or 24 hour) period of time.

lets hope you´ll right!! ... please be right!!!
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

OP, read the whole post.

I really doubt there will be a better discount than 30% on anything useful.
    Buuuut hopefully Cryptic/ARC has taken in some of the feedback from the players these last few days, and will deliver something better on Black Friday &/or Cyber Monday...
  • faredawg1faredawg1 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    regenerde said:

@kemnimtarkas

I mean, they even placed the legendary mount in the event tab, so that the 33% discount coupon for mounts won't work for it. So why would they even think about increasing the "baseline" discount at any point?

EXACTLY
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I didn't read this whole thing but my remembrance of the way this goes is it's 30 % off or 20 percent for most of the week. people go awww. but spend their zen. then on actual black friday it cuts another 10 or 20 percent and people go yay and man!! we already spent now we have to buy actual zen. so don't panic. don't fret. don't spend your zen. wait til actual blackfriday
  • killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited November 2019

regenerde said:

snipped

I've been screaming about the need for changes to Zen Market and Wondrous Bazaar for ages now, i feel you.

If it were up to me the only thing up on Zen Market would be lockbox keys, account wide mounts / pets, account upgrades ( packs, char slots, bank slots etc. ) or cosmetic fluff like Fashion. Everything else - Account bound in the Wondrous Bazaar at reasonable prices.

Back in the pre 500 AD per Zen Days no one cared about event discounts on anything not called Lockbox Keys because you could either instantly or within a few days get all the Zen you need so hoarding and waiting for sales for months was not needed. The cycle of piling up AD to Zen to only spend it twice a year needs to be broken and reducing the incentive to wait for Black Friday / Jubilee should be part of it - not enough, but part of it.

I'm not happy with getting a lesser discount this year but people are looking way too much into it, i can't wait to count all the *this means Cryptic will shut down game soon* threads and posts that will pop up over this.
    Sorry but you simply can't do this. Everyone expects Black Friday sales. Not just in Neverwinter, but all over. If they don't want to accomodate with a good sale, people will spend their money elsewhere. That is just a Lose Lose situation for them.

There are numerous posts about the backlog and it has little to do with the sales. It's simply supply and demand and what can be bought for AD vs ZEN. The sales just exaggerate the situation for a few months, but the backlog will not go away until they address the real issues.

Simply put, they are giving players more and more of a reason to quit. Tons have quit from M16. I really don't understand their motivations for these changes but it's clearly not increasing the player population and increasing revenue.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

I didn't read this whole thing but my remembrance of the way this goes is it's 30 % off or 20 percent for most of the week. people go awww. but spend their zen. then on actual black friday it cuts another 10 or 20 percent and people go yay and man!! we already spent now we have to buy actual zen. so don't panic. don't fret. don't spend your zen. wait til actual blackfriday

I think this only happened once but I could be wrong. I think there was a big uproar when it happened since everyone had spent their zen already.

Since then I think they went with a consistent % off for 4 days, then a consistent % off for a week, now I would guess a consistent % off for almost 2 weeks.

I'm still waiting til Black Friday because, can't trust them!

I think this only happened once but I could be wrong. I think there was a big uproar when it happened since everyone had spent their zen already.

Since then I think they went with a consistent % off for 4 days, then a consistent % off for a week, now I would guess a consistent % off for almost 2 weeks.

yup wait and see. I'd bet a shiney penny I'm right. my memory is this is their MO all the time.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited November 2019

yup wait and see. I'd bet a shiney penny I'm right. my memory is this is their MO all the time.
    I'm with you and I also think that is their MO too. I will not cry bloody murder either way. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2019

OP, read the whole post.

Yeah I think we got that, but what about the people who buy something at 30% then the next sale is 40% for the same item?

Or the person who didn't buy something at 30% when they could thinking it will go to 40% but it doesn't?

I can't imagine the purchaser or the person who misses out on the lower discount is going to be happy about that.

Whoever's in charge needs to quit HAMSTER around with the numbers so much. It should be pretty much standard from one year to the next.

Something like @oldtimer#7525 mentioned, specific discounts on specific days...
    One price/discount for Black Friday Sale ON Black Friday... like 50%.
    For those that can't make that sale Cyber Monday will have a 40% off discount later. The people who missed Black Friday weren't able to get the better discount, but they can still get one almost as good. For those who didn't plan ahead, or for whatever reason didn't get to take advantage of the 50% or 40% discount, they can still get a 30% for a few days.

This; 30% Black Friday Sale one year, 40% another year and 50% discount yet another year is HAMSTER, err, I mean inconvenient. It would be better if players could plan ahead a little easier.
    DD~
    edited November 2019
    dionchi said:

OP, read the whole post.

Yeah I think we got that, but what about the people who buy something at 30% then the next sale is 40% for the same item?

Or the person who didn't buy something at 30% when they could thinking it will go to 40% but it doesn't?

I can't imagine the purchaser or the person who misses out on the lower discount is going to be happy about that.

Whoever's in charge needs to quit HAMSTER around with the numbers so much. It should be pretty much standard from one year to the next.

Something like @oldtimer#7525 mentioned, specific discounts on specific days...
    One price/discount for Black Friday Sale ON Black Friday... like 50%.
    For those that can't make that sale Cyber Monday will have a 40% off discount later. The people who missed Black Friday weren't able to get the better discount, but they can still get one almost as good. For those who didn't plan ahead, or for whatever reason didn't get to take advantage of the 50% or 40% discount, they can still get a 30% for a few days.

This; 30% Black Friday Sale one year, 40% another year and 50% discount yet another year is HAMSTER, err, I mean inconvenient. It would be better if players could plan ahead a little easier.
    What you described happened before. I personally get used to it.
    How about buying something 100% and then the next day 90% off? That also happened before.
    Relatively, 30% off today and 40% off tomorrow is a lot less hurt.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • carinalynn#2936 carinalynn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I too am hoping for a sweeter discount on black Friday. I didn't read this entire post but I believe the last few years we also received tier bonuses based on the amount we spent in really cash money for Zen. This rewarded the people willing to spend their hard earned money to pay for the game for everyone else. Anyone else remember that? I think we even got a few coal wards at the top tier...anyone recall this?
    edited November 2019

I too am hoping for a sweeter discount on black Friday. I didn't read this entire post but I believe the last few years we also received tier bonuses based on the amount we spent in really cash money for Zen. This rewarded the people willing to spend their hard earned money to pay for the game for everyone else. Anyone else remember that? I think we even got a few coal wards at the top tier...anyone recall this?

When there was a Zen sales, they did various promotion such as more Zen, throw in something.
    Zen sales and Zen store sales did not necessary happen at the same time but it usually did.
    I believe there was more Zen sales than Zen store sales in the past.

it's been said we aren't getting that this year on this sale at least. @dionchi what plasticbat said. losing 10% isn't that bad. I've been bitten for far worse. it's why I remember it now lol. I've gotten bitten at least a couple times with various sales thru out the year. there is also a after christmas key and a few other things sale that has a pretty deep discount that usually comes at the end of another sale unannounced. it's just the way they do business.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    What concerns me is that the reduced discount is another sign that the NW income has fallen so much that Cryptic is struggling with the game.

It will be very interesting to see what happens on Dec 6th when mod 18 hits test.. will it be a super-size mod(which is should be looking a the time they have spent on it), or will it be another tiny mod? If mod 18 is another small mod it means the NW dev team was badly cut to save expenses.

All games launch, grow, decline, get mothballed and eventually die.
    edited November 2019
    There actually are Zen sales to go with the Zen store sales.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11311483-2019-black-friday-sale

It just does not have a fancy name or in game extra.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Well that is interesting... I wonder if this is why I haven't seen my whales resurface?

My friends who spend a lot of money on Black Friday, normally return to the guild by now. I was worried about their absence. I guess this could be the cause? I hope everyone enjoys the Black Friday sale. I never shop them myself, as I can't find anything of value in the Zen Store. I do remember years ago they started at 50% and dropped to 40%. Maybe the 30% sale is due to the 750 AD cap raise around the start of 2019? Who knows? Maybe they will raise it to 1,000 AD after the new year and you can get 25% profit trading your Zen back to AD.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    I belive most of you getting it wrong. Simply becouse you look form - obviously - your own perspective and expectations.

Trick is - its not developers perspective. I mean - when was a last time a veteran/experinced player could buy himself anythng usefull out of z ZEN store? Sure some campaign attached packs cointaining limited comapions/mounts or last wide used item was a Yojimbo companion (made obsolete sortly after release).
    But those are in fact a rare situations when ZEN store was offering anything usefull for both veteran and new player.

Lets be honest here - most of experienced players use ZEN store as source of profit only. You buy cheap stacks of coal wards or pres wards and you resell them with huge profit few months later. And what is most important - you dont use ZEN bought with real money but taken form ZAX. Rinse repeat with even bigger amounts on every turn. And thats it. And that brings Cryptic absolutely no profit.

For a new player every discount above average voucher is in fact a bargain. This game is aiming at new players only. And that is (I belive) a reason behind new BF discounts.

What concerns me is that the reduced discount is another sign that the NW income has fallen so much that Cryptic is struggling with the game.

It will be very interesting to see what happens on Dec 6th when mod 18 hits test.. will it be a super-size mod(which is should be looking a the time they have spent on it), or will it be another tiny mod? If mod 18 is another small mod it means the NW dev team was badly cut to save expenses.

it has been this way for the last 3 or 4 years. its not a new thing thus, not indicative of financial difficulties it's just how they role.
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User

it has been this way for the last 3 or 4 years. its not a new thing thus, not indicative of financial difficulties it's just how they role.
    To go a little further, its not just Cryptic that has reduced its staff in the gaming industry. Blizzard had quite a few layoffs when they started using telemetry and AI to help work through rough patches in games, while at the same recording record profits. Unfortunately it seems to be a general trend with gaming right now :'( . But hell like the Gods of D&D, many mmorpg games don't truly die, they just kinda fade away until someone decides to take them up again.
  • cts2000#2706 cts2000 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Well...Black Friday is here....and no further discounts looks like....anyone actually surprise by this?
    edited November 2019

Well...Black Friday is here....and no further discounts looks like....anyone actually surprise by this?

it's not 10 am yet. I'll hold off judgement til then. and then I'll continue holding it off if they dont'
    til cyber monday lol. if this is it, yes I will be shocked. and baffled